University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

If you want small classes, then you'll like this place. I know all my teachers and all are very available for help. Class selection is incredibly competitive because the administration is super concerned with keeping the student/teacher ratio down. So don't count on getting close to what you want every semester, especially in your freshman and sophomore years. Students are overly competitive here and think they're a ton smart than they are. Most kids here are the try-hard type who really aren't that smart on their own, just study all damn day to make the ever important A. The assignments here tend to reflect that, especially in English. I had a teacher who insisted that I work 20 or more hours on each paper he assigned us. Keep in mind these were 4-6 page papers. The teachers, for the most part, are pretty damn smart, but maybe a little too opinionated. The professors liberal slant is a stark contrast to the rich, aristocratic atmosphere of the students here.

The academics at Richmond are great. I have never had a class with more than 25 people in it. That means that professors definitely know your name and who you are, but it also means that they know when you do not come to class. Richmond students don't skip class that much. Friday mornings there may be less people than normal, but a lot of professors have attendance policies. Classes are challenging, and students are always in the library Sunday-Thursday. Students are competitive and everyone wants to do really well. As a business major, the classes are very competitive and there is often a lot of work required. It is very easy to meet with professors out of class, because they generally have a lot of office hours. Richmond is definitely very goal oriented. People are always talking about the future and are working towards their next internship or job.

I think the two greatest assets of our school are the business schools and the science departments. These provide a level of instruction far above most other undergraduate institutions. We also have very solid liberal arts programs, particularly in political science and international studies. My favorite class so far was organic chemistry, but I also loved my English class and microeconomics, which are outside my major. Class participation is a must at Richmond, usually it is considered in your grade, and the classes are too small to be anonymous in. Teachers and students know each other by name and meet one-on-one frequently. The academics are difficult; you have to work hard to do well here. However, the professors are great and you learn a lot.

Academics at Richmond are top priority. Students come here knowing that they will need to work very hard to succeed. We are very fortunate to have such a small student to faculty ratio of 1:9. My largest class has only been comprised of 20 students. I even had a lab section that only had 6 students. The only drawback to this is that, well, you have to go to class. Don't be surprised to receive an e-mail from a professor asking if anything is wrong if you missed class that day. Trust me, they notice if you aren't there. Professors truly want to help us learn and will do anything to help us out. The first day of classes, professors already know our names and are interested in our lives and activities. Generally, teachers are understanding.

Richmond has a great student to faculty ratio and this allows for every professor I've had to know my name. So far I haven't had a class over 30 students and most have been right around 20. It's great because the small class environment lends itself to great discussion. Studytime at Richmond depends on the person, and the major. I'm not pre-med but I've got friends who are and they are, by far, doing the most work. I think the combination of Chemistry, Biology, and Calculus sets them up for a rough schedule. But as for me, I do a lot of things besides study or do work. I've got plenty of time, most often, to get my work done and enjoy a lot of free time (outside of finals week).

I know all my professors names. The classes are very small and you build a great relationship with them. Students are not very competitive but we have to study all the time because of the heavy academic load. Conversations about academics outside of class our common and really contribute to the learning experience. Class participation is something that is very important because of the small class sizes. I'm a business major and the business school here is incredible. The professors are all amazing and very accomplished. They know there stuff and go out of thier way to help you succeed.

Academics at Richmond are challenging but manageable. As a student here you should expect to be intellectually stimulated and challenged. All of my professors know my name, and I have gotten to know most of them personally outside of class. Students usually spend their days balancing classes, meals, clubs, and studying. You definitely won't feel like all you're doing is studying. Our most popular major is international relations, and we have a top-ranked business school.

The undergraduate body of URichmond is approximately under 3,000 student so one can get really close to a professor and ask questions in class (or out of class) without feeling intimated by the large class size. Most professors are GREAT and are more than willing to help you succeed, as long as you make the effort. My favorite subject was actually Organic Chemistry (shocking right?) because I had such a great professor who pushes and works with you.

Richmond has small class sizes. In general, professors know your name and care about your success. Small classes mean a lot of personal attention, and most teachers are very available to answer questions. Richmond is a challenging school, especially the science departments. It is a lot of work, but a lot is gained from working hard. Some students are competitive, but no one is ripping pages out of books in the library to hinder others.

Academics are great. The Math department and the Biology department need some improvement. The teachers are often not excellent teachers but they help you get through the class as best they can. Every other department is phenomenal and he teachers are so helpful and always to do whatever they need to to help you pass their course with an A. The academics are challenging but if you make good use of your time then it is manageable.