University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

Yes, professors know their students, class size is small enough that you learn a lot. Some students study more than others. In the arts and sciences school the atmosphere is not too competitive. The music department has a good unity. Everyone knows each other and says hi to each other in the halls. It is not cutthroat as everybody is too busy trying to get through their classes. Plus you can feel confident that you have a community in which you can make stupid music jokes like A C and E walk into a bar and the bartender says "sorry, we don't serve minors here" The education at Richmond is geared toward learning for its own sake, but I feel like a lot of students feel pressured that they are never going to get a job, so there are a lot of art students who double major in premed or business. A lot of people double major on campus. If you are not double majoring, prepare to tell people that you feel confident your degree will show your qualifications without five billion majors on it.

Since most classes are so small, teachers know your name very quickly. You also learn the names of people in your class very quickly too. This helps with class participation. Class participation is very common in all of the classes I have taken at Richmond and normally make up a significant portion of my final grade. Students do engage in intellectual conversations outside class. Core is the freshman english class which all freshman must take. Each class reads the same books at the same time, so outside of class it is really easy to talk to other freshman about what is happening in Core class. Whether it's complaining about how boring the book was or a surprise ending, freshman normally bring up class discussions outside of class. I have learned a lot of interesting things in my Sociology 101 class. I find myself saying "today in Sociology....." very often at the dinner table. It normally sparks more intellectual conversations amongst my friends.

Definitely a rigorous program especially being apart of the Business School. When looking for classes to choose for the semester, research the professor before selecting which class to take. Professor's vary significantly in their difficulty or ease of teaching. Grades can be skewed for different professors teaching the same course. Student to professor interaction is great! They are always willing to meet and conference with you. Often times you will be invited to their house for dinner or a meet and greet. Student's are very competitive especially come Junior year with the discussion of internships. The talk of summer for b-school students will be "who are you working for and where", rather than what are your summer plans. As a liberal arts college, not many choices in "fun" classes. A lot of your classes are chosen for you when you decide on a major. Education at Richmond is defnitely geared to getting you a job.

Academics at Richmond are excellent. There are definitely blow off majors, but there are also extremely tough majors (like b-school for example). The professors definitely know your name because class sizes are kept on the smaller size, which is a really great plus. Class participation really depends on the dynamic of the class, usually the upper-classes have more participation because people are truly interested in what they are learning in the class. Richmond students generally do not have intellectual conversations outside of class and are not competitive with one another. However, there is a large amount of pressure to preform well. The b-school would be the most competitive school on campus as students are competing for the same internships. It is also known as one of the more difficult schools in Richmond, along side our science programs. The b-school also requires a large amount of credits for any degree.

Professors always know you name because the classes are small. The classes can be hard and you definitely have to find your way around that and the school definitely weeds out all of the easy teachers over time so it becomes difficult to try and find a "GPA booster" class. Class participation depends on the type of class, most classes require it for part of the grade, which sucks, but some classes it doesn't matter. As far as intellectual convo's, I don't know because most of the time when me and my friend's are out of class, we try not to talk about class at all, because who wants to do that? Professors usually offer lots of outside of class time for extra help. Richmond's academic requirements absolutely sucksssssssssss. Core, which is a class all freshmen must take, everyone that takes it generally hates it, so have fun with that one. Also the amount of gen. ed's required can be ridiculous.

Professors know ur name. I liked my freshman chemestry class, and while the chemistry department has many very nice and fun professors, i never quite clicked with the more stringent biology department. One thing about richmond is you have to take 3 common sense wellness courses, while they are not bad, they can be a bit annoying. Do students have intellectual conversations? Sometimes, it depends who your talking to. Richmond claims that learning is for its own sake, and to pursue actual intellectual ability, but this is a blatant lie. Do not believe that weeding out does not occur in Richmond, it very much so does, making grades a focal point of education, instead of higher learning. Class participation is somewhat uncommon, but not completely unheard of. Overall the rigor is acceptable, but i feel too much of an emphasis is placed on weeding students out.

Richmond's classes are challenging and most require attendance. This school does not offer the type of atmosphere you've seen at big state schools or in the movies with classes of hundreds of kids and people not showing up all the time. That said, if you're going to college because you at least have some type of intellectual interest and are curious about some major field of study, you'll do fine. Intellectual conversations outside of class are rare, but do happen. There are plenty of clubs, groups, meetings, forums, etc. that foster such dialogue. I know all of my professors well and have formed great relationships with many of them. This is one of the principal reasons I love the school. Students are generally helpful; group studying is common and the type of competitiveness you hear about at certain schools does not exist here.

I am a Leadership Studies Major at Richmond and that alone is unique, I mean it wasn't even a choice on this survey! I absolutely love my major because it is unique and because I have learned so many different things. I always tell people that a Leadership Major doesn't teach you how to do one specific job, it teaches you how to live your life. My favorite class here has been Justice and Civil Society. The course examined social justice issues in our culture and what our responsibility as democratic citizens was in solving those issues. I spend a lot of time with professors outside of class. Two of my favorite professors I see almost every week even though I dont have classes with them anymore. Over the years these genious professors have become my friends and I go to them for advice or help on othe academic subjects.

The classes are small, meaning that professors know who you are. They push you to do your best but help you out if you need it. All first years are required to take is CORE: The Human Experience. Students read books from a variety of disciplines and discuss. Your experience with Core depends on who you have as a professor: some classes bond and have reunions over their four years at UR; other people get stuck with a computer science professor and get nothing out of it or have an English professor and have to work their butts off. No one really enjoys the course, however; the school keeps it on to make us look more "competitive" against similar schools. With all of my complaints about the college social scene here, my academic experience has been wonderful. I love my classes and have learned so much.

Expect a challenge! Every course is tough and will require your effort. At times it seems impossible to get more than two A's a semester, but it's not. You will just have to push your self, by studying A LOT more than you did in High School. Class discussions are VERY COMMON in most (if not, all) of Richmond courses. Some of Richmond academic requirements are a little OD. (like Core and Calculus for the Business school!) In addition to the hard classes, Richmond does offer free tutoring in just about EVERY subject! Our library is GREAT!! The class sizes are also small, which i personally think is better because the Professor has the chance to address all your questions, compare to a Big University where your hand and voice could not be heard or seen because the room is to large and filled with 300 students.