University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

I'm pretty sure all of my professors know my name. I see some of the professors I had last semester outside of class and they recognize me. It's really great. My favorite class was CS150. It was a decently easy class; I learned something I never studied before that I just happened to be good at; I stumbled upon my major; and I got a sweet job as a lab assistant. My LEAST favorite was definitely CORE. There are just no good teachers for CORE. The kids here study pretty much all the time. There were a good 50-some people in the library on a FRIDAY AFTERNOON once. It's very competitive here. I feel like most of the education here is geared toward making a career. Most of the kids here are trying their best to get ahead and lay a good foundation for whatever they choose to do in the future.

Academics at Richmond are really a major strength of the school. All my professors know my name within days, and remember me after I've taken a class with them. Classes are difficult, and you have to study a lot. Class participation is one of the largest portions of your grade in any non-math/science class. The professors are amazing, I've been to my advisor's house for dinner. They are always willing to help with anything and everything, and willing to take time out of their own busy schedules. We also get great visiting professors in the Political Science Dept-I've had two professors who teach at SAIS at JHU. Core is a major requirement that most students hate, but it's really not that bad. The only issue is that the workload can vary a lot depending on the professor you have.

The academics at Richmond are fabulous. Even though I'm a lazy person who used to try and get by in high school barely gettting honor roll I definetly appreciate the way this school encourages me to work hard. This school is making me realize that it is important to get a good education not just to say I did but to actually expand my knowledge. The professors know everyone's name because classes are small and students are strongly encouraged to participate because it is usually part of their grade. The students are very intelligent here and sometimes intimidate me because I feel like I didn't prepare myself for this school well enough. I gaurantee that getting a degree from this college will find you a good job because it emphasizes the need to think critically and work hard.

Surprisingly this is my favorite aspect of Richmond. The UR business school offers a top level education that prepares you so well for the working world. Most all of my teachers are very interesting, experienced and smart, and the best part is they know you by name because my classes had at most 25 students in them. The amount of time spent studying varies depending on personal strategy/intelligence, year, and major. As a undeclared freshman I studied about 3 hours a week and still managed a 3.3, however now as a Junior business-finance major I have to study maybe 5 hours per day on average to maintain about a 3.5. I can't speak for non-business majors and their workloads, but I think it is a little bit less, however still a good amount of work if you want a good gpa.

Classes at Richmond are fantastic. I have never had a professor who didn't know my name. Small class sizes are the norm here (my personal largest class was 30 people in Microeconomics). Classes are very intense. Students are required to do significant amounts of reading and participate in intense discussion. Luckily, this allows conversation to move outside of the classroom. In the midst of high personal academic standards, students remain cooperative. This is one of the things I love most about Richmond. It is very easy for students with high standards to become competitive and ignore the needs of classmates. Instead, Richmond students are very willing to help each other so that all students can have the best academic experience possible.

I am a business major and I love it. Richmond is very hard school academically and is just now starting to get the respect we deserve. Our business school is top 20 and is continuing to climb. I have encountered very few professors I don't like but there are a few bad apples that you have to be careful of. How much you study depends on the professor you have and the time of year. The last couple weeks of the semester you are going to study a lot and you're going to be stressed out, so, just accept it and deal with it. Richmond is a school that you sometimes don't like how hard the academics are while you are here but you are very proud of your accomplishment once you're done. It's all worth it when you're done.

Professors quickly and easily learn students' names because the class size is very small and intimate. Faculty and staff are very friendly and really make the effort to get to know you. Professors are very available to meet outside of class and frequently invite you over to their houses for parties/dinners, etc. Class participation is a big part of many classes, but it depends. I don't think students are very competitive with other students necessarily, but I do think that many have very high standards for their own work. The education at Richmond is not career-focused, especially my major in Leadership Studies. The focus is on broadening your mind and learning about the world from many different perspectives.

The professors are generally caring about students, of course some more than others. The class sizes are kept small and there are no big lecture halls at all. Students study hard during the week, but the atmosphere is very noncompetitive, and students always look to help each other out. Professors often learn students name, and love talking outside of class. There is definitely no grade inflation, and A's are not easy to get in many classes, but B's are. There is a lot of help from the Career Development Center to get jobs, especially with our top 20 business school. Also the uniqueness of our Jepson School for Leadership Studies is a great and unique opportunity to study something very different.

Students take class work very seriously. They need to slow down and actually focus on learning rather than getting the grade and killing themselves in the process. I have great intelectual conversations, but I seek them or start them. And I love that my professors know who I am. I like getting to know my professors and learning from their experiences. My favorite classes have been, Marine Biology which was very hands on service learning. AMAZING and Women Gender Sexuality Studies with Dorthy Holland-she is amazing, and body sex world religion, and Human Strength and Positive function is great! I am doing a meditation project in there currently and its changing my outlook on life.

Professors definitely know students' names. They will make conversation with you outside of class, and if you want to do research or work with professors they are easily accessible. Students study a lot. However, most students are great at time management and so while they may be in the library til midnight on Thursday night, they do it so they can have fun with friends over the weekend. Professors look for class participation. It makes students stand out, they can tell who has prepared the material. I've even been told that I couldn't participate anymore in a class so that she could challenge some of the other students to complete the reading and answer questions.