University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

The students here are very smart. Everyone I meet seems to have a passion for something. I was able to make my own major in international public health through the interdisciplinary department and with the help of two professors. One of my favorite professors is someone who I feel I will stay in touch in with long after I am gone. This is not rare at Richmond. The liberal arts education at Richmond is great, and I feel like I have been allowed to explore everything I have been interested in.

All of my professors DEFINITELY know my name. My biggest class has been maybe 20? My favorite class- McGarvie's Foundations of Leadership class. Definitely a must take. Class participation is common in most of my classes unless it's like really early in the morning. Students want to get good grades but they aren't competitive to the point where they won't help eachother. Professors have plenty of office hours and really WANT the students to use them. They love it when students come to talk.

Do professors know my name?: YES, this is great Students here study: pretty often during the week, not a lot over the weekends, a lot of the kids seem to be that kid that slacks off a lot but is pretty smart and can still get by I was a history major, secondary education minor -- I would definitely recommend history major, history classes; education -- I liked the program and I'm gonna be a teacher, but it requires more work than any other program on campus and is not for everybody

Every Professor I have knows my name. I am a good student, but not particularly outstanding. They know my name because the classes are so small. This is a huge advantage that Richmond offers. The individual attention gives almost infinite academic resources at his disposal. But be careful! The drawbacks of such small classes is that you are always under the watchful eye of a teacher. You will be expected to participate and discuss is virtually every class.

Professors are fine. Students study. Participation is average. Richmond students sometimes participate in intellectual conversations outside class, but not too much. Students are somewhat competitive, but not very much. Professors seem to care about their students. Academic requirements are ok. The education can be geared toward whatever the student wants it to be geared towards.

I love academics- small intimate classes. All my professors know my name and care about how I perform. They are kind, and compassionate and awesome teachers! The problem is the competition at this small bubble tends to be quite overwhelming. Expect ivy league stress and pressure, without the ivy league rankings and resume. But awesome classes offered and great learning environment

I've been annoyed at the lack of history classes, but that's a personal peeve since they're offering numerically a lot, just very few in anything before 1700. There are good classes and bad classes, just like any other school. Use ratemyprofessor.com in conjunction with the class lists to try to maximize your good classes.

General education requirements are a hassle and waste of time, as is Core, the requirement for all first year students. Classes are small, which is great. I had a class last semester of 11 students which enabled me to feel more comfortable participating and to get to know the professor really well.

strenuous. seems to be harder than most schools. very rare to find a class that is an "easy a". classes are small, i've never had a class bigger than 20something people and i've been here three years. last couple weeks of semester are always hell work hard play hard

The one great thing about Richmond is that the class sizes are small, thus there is a lot of teacher student contact. With such small class you get not only the opportunity to get to know your fellow class mates but you get to know your professors as well.