University of Richmond Top Questions

There are tons and tons of ways to get involved on campus, and nearly every student participates in at least one kind of extracurricular activity (club/varsity/IM sports, student government, community service, clubs, political groups, etc). Greek life is also very popular, and while it is a large part of the social scene on campus, it's definitely not the only option. Students don't go through Recruitment until second semester, giving them time to get settled, make friends, and become involved in non-Greek activities. We also don't have any fraternity or sorority housing, and many times students room with friends who are in a different fraternity/sorority or who are independents.

There are tons and tons of ways to get involved on campus, and nearly every student participates in at least one kind of extracurricular activity (club/varsity/IM sports, student government, community service, clubs, political groups, etc). Greek life is also very popular. UR has a delayed rush system, which means that students don't go through Recruitment until second semester. This gives you time to get settled, make friends, and become involved in non-Greek activities. We also don't have any fraternity or sorority housing, and many times students room with friends who are in a different fraternity/sorority or who are independents.

There is so much to do on campus that anyone can find up to 10 activities/groups to get involved with. Greek life is popular but not necessary whatsoever. You can go to all the same Greek parties and events even if you are not a brother or sister. There is always something to do on campus 24/7 and you make your experience at Richmond what you want it to be. Most students are always involved and super busy. The common joke is that UofR students struggle to fit everything that they want to put onto their resume on one page...it's basically impossible for most UofR students.

I'm involved with the orchestra, Intervaristy Christian Fellowship, a science honor society, and a green advocacy group. Some of the most popular groups on campus include the sororities and fraternities (both social and service-oriented). We also have a large intramural sports system, and there is a lot of participation in that. Many students are involved in student government. One of the most distinctive things about Richmond is the number of students who participate in study abroad. I (and most of my friends) have studies abroad or are planning to in a future semester.

Emmy

The most popular activities on campus are sororities and fraternities, a capella groups, and advocacy groups. We have environmental groups, pro-life and pro-choice groups, community service groups, and political groups. Club and intramural sports are also super popular. I'm involved in the Glee Club on campus, a service fraternity, a mentor program, and guitar class. Students are very open, leaving laptops in the library and phones on dining hall tables. Richmond also has some cool traditions like Ring Dance (a dance for junior girls), Pig Roast (a big party in march), and beach week (the first week of summer).

Greek life is big for people involved. About 1/2 of the women are in sororities and about 40{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the men are in fraternities. There are always things going on on-campus: concerts, plays, festivals, sporting events, trips, parties, etc.

Jill

Greek Life is pretty big here, and a lot of the social scene revolves around it. That being said, Richmond's Greek Life is different than it is at other schools because you don't rush until the second semester of your first year and we do not have any Greek housing. Richmond students tend to be involved in a lot of different on campus organizations, and really just like to add Greek life to their long list of accolades. It's a fun way to meet new people, but if Greek life isn't your thing you won't be completely left out. Non-greeks can attend Greek social events and are often friends with people in various Greek organizations. Besides on campus events, there are so many fun things to do in the city of Richmond including great restaurants, a fun bar scene, plenty of museums and historical sites, and the James River. If you're not into the on campus social scene, it's always fun to go see a two dollar movie at the Byrd theater and grab frozen yogurt at Sweet Frog.

Jill

It depends on who you ask. There is a greek presence and as a D1 school, there are a lot of athletes at Richmond. However, we have 250 clubs/organizations, so they have a very broad spectrum and most are very active and popular.

Joey

I met most of my closest friends through our fantastic Orientation program. During New Student Orientation, students are paired off into groups based on their halls and paired with a hall of the opposite gender. That's where I met my first friends!

Nabila

Greek Life is most definitely the most popular activity. 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of men and women participate and are members of a Greek organization, but if you're not interested in that there are other activities for everyone as well. There is always something to do on campus, and off campus as well. Great restaurants, clubs and bars.

There are fraternities and sororoties and dozens of clubs.

The Living and Learning programs in the brand-new residential dorm Lakeview provide students the opportunity to actually experience what they are learning in the classroom.

The UR ROTC sponsored a rock climbing wall during the homecoming tailgate.

UR students had the opportunity to show their school spirit by spray painting signs before the big game.

Richmond

InterVarsity's Penny Wars at the University of Richmond

sucks ass

The typical Richmond week schedule is this: from Sunday to Thursday it is extreme school mode. The library is always packed until any hours of the morning, as well as the science center. Kids spend most of the time working hard on getting assignments and things outof the way. Then Thursday night until Sunday is pretty much considered the weekend! (unless you have a lot of Friday classes, which many don't, then your weekend will probably start on Friday night). People here pretty much abide by working really hard, and then playing really hard. It really is a good system! People that live on the same dorm floor or close to each other lots of time end up becoming really good friends. That is how I met my best friends (actually one of them was my roommate). Greek life is pretty big on campus, consuming about 35{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the males and 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the females. HOWEVER, I think it's really really important to note that Greek life at UR is notably different than it is at different schools. For one, none of the sororities or frats live together in housing just for them, so right there there is a much decreased level or exclusiveness. In fact, in all the events and activities that the greek organizations organize, EVERYONE from the campus is always encouraged to participate. And there is no real rivalty among sororities. I myself am a member of Pi Beta Phi, and my best friends are in Delta Gamma and Tri Delta. I often am thankful at the system at UR, and cringe when I see shows on TV like "Greek" that give sororities (especially at my school) such a bad reputation. Just believe me that it really is different here, and that the people in Greek life are all hardworking studious people. On weekends, I must admit that there ARE many activities that involve drinking. There are frat lodges, appartment parties, and small gettogethers in dorms, and yes there is often drinking at these places. HOWEVER, although the alcohol is there, the point of these events and why most people go to them is NOT necessarily connected with alcohol. People simply go to hang out with others and have a good time or dance. And many people do not drink, and that is perfectly acceptable and they are never pressured. once again, the people here are really laid back and there is not textbook situations arising where people feel pressured to drink. A good alternative is to go to the Commons building (in the middle of campus) every Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, where they are big showings of new movies that come out. These usually start around 9 pm, and are really popular with everyone. I personally have had so many fun nights just snacking and watching the movies with my group of friends. Off campus there are also a lot of fun things to do. Since we are so close to Richmond, there are always TONS of restaurants, cafes, malls, and places to go during free time or weekends. And if your'e out on a weekend at night, there are nice nightclubs (18 and over) to go to near VCU (10 minutes away).

Toby

About 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of our student body joins a sorority or fraternity.

I wish that social life with regard to on campus events was more prevelent. While a lot of people go to the homecoming Football game, generally sporting events are poorly attended. They are making an effort to try and change this by "luring" kids to games (through preyground points and free food as well as a lot of advertising) but I still feel like a we could have more school spirit. Same goes for guest speakers, etc... I wish that more people attended these things, however I don't always take advantage of them myself. Students generally leave doors open in my experience which makes it easier to just go and try and get to know your neighbors which is really important in meeting people at first. I personally don't think frats/sororities are incredibly important on campus because I know a lot of people who aren't in them. I am in a sorority which for me was very important because I have a harder time meeting people and it definitely just threw me in to a whole group to get to know. Also, sororities and fraternities put on a lot of events (not just lodge parties) that give me something else to do during the week.

Fraternities make up a big part of the social scene, with other greek organizations (sororities, FIJI, etc.) and clubs (A Cappella, club sports, etc.) making up the rest.

Maggie

Sports takes a backseat at Richmond, although we do have a fairly talented basketball and football team. Most people (the girls at least) leave their doors open or unlocked in the dorms. It is also not uncommon to see people leave their things out in the library--books, papers, bookbags, phones, and laptop computers. Everybody is fairly trusting and stealing is not very prevelant--mainly because people have enough already, there's no need to steal anything from anyone else. On the weekdays, one can expect a small trickle of drunk people coming back to the dorms around 1 or 2 in the morning. This increases significantly come Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. So therefore, if you don't drink--prepare not to have a social life. 90{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} or more of girls rush for a sorority. You may be getting a biased view because I did not rush myself, but in all honesty sororities and fraternities rule the social scene. You are labeled by what you are: a delta gamma, kappa alpha theta, etc. Hierarchies in greek life definitely exist, and are well known.

Sororities and fraternities are a major part of the social scene at Richmond.

weekends at richmond start on thursday if you're normal, wednesday if you have a light class load, and tuesday if you're friends with the guys who host tuesday night pong. if you really want to party, you can do so any day of the week, but most people are active on the weekend nights. the most popular groups on campus are probably intervarsity, which is the interfaith group, and the greek social scene. i think it's something like 40{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body is involved in greek life. if you're not, it doesn't really cramp your style but you have to be aware that your friends who are are likely going to be dragged away to socials or parties most weekends. for those involved in greek life, you can be as involved as you want to be. i have friends who are chairpeople of every event, and others who show up to chapter and do the community service. on any given weekend night, there are a few things that are always open. the fraternity lodges, the dorms, and the apartments. usually there are a few things playing at the modlin center for the arts and while they get a lot of talented people, there are rarely many performers that students have heard of before. the lodges are basically dance clubs hosted by fraternities, and the apartments have huge parties. for people who don't drink, there are movies playing every weekend night in the tyler haynes commons, which is our student center, plus there are always people hanging out in the dorms. i usually spend one night of the weekend drinking and the other hanging out with friends. the best thing about the weekend is brunch. on saturdays and sundays, Dhall serves breakfast until three, and it is the best part of the week. in fact, dhall is just awesome. between the stir-fry, panini bar, and the crazy desserts, it almost never gets boring. and if you do get bored with dhall, there's always waffle house, the southern breakfast chain that is open 24 hours.

Rob

most popular groups: fraternities, sororities I was a DJ for WDCE, the radio station athletic events not real popular like they are at bigger state schools dating scene is heavily based on cliques pig roast happens every year, if you're into the party scene, it's a lot of fun people party almost every thursday, friday, saturday night fraternities, sororities VERY important, if you're not in one, you're not one of the cool kids, and they're kind of exclusive for getting into because they're all about who you know if you do stuff on a saturday night that doesn't involve drinking, chances are that you're by yourself

Carrie

Richmond is a hard party school. Just about every weekend someone is taken to the hospital for alcoholic abuse. The campus cops don't really bust anyone but if u come to Richmond, expect your social life to revolve largely around drinking. Pot use was also very common in my freshman hall. Most people seem to enjoy the school social life, I am not one of them because I am in the minority who does not drink, and does not seem to get along well with others at this school in social conversation. If your quote on quote normal, Richmond is a good place for you. If your quote on quote, not normal, you may want to pick another school. A curious mind does not always thrive at Richmond, a completely intoxicated one does.

One thing that I like is that no matter what night of the week it is you can usually find some people to party with. I'm a work-hard-play-hard kind of person, so after a long day of class and hw I want to let loose a bit. It's not always exciting fun, but it beats going back to your room and watching TV and going to sleep. The best thing I've noticed about UR is once your friends have apartments or off-campus houses, the social scene is a lot more fun. Dorm parties get old after a year or so, but having larger spaces to socialize gives you a lot more options. The fraternity scene is pretty big at UR, but it doesn't matter if you are in one or not. A lot of my friends are in frat/srats, but I am not and I still have a lot of fun. It kinda sucks when they are pledging and then the following semester because they are all wanting to be really fratty right after they join, but that grows out of them and they are back to being your regular friends. It is a lot easier to meet girls if you are in a fraternity because they flock to their parties. Whether or not you are in a frat, the dating scene relies heavily on Greek life. I think all the girls I've been involved with were in sororities, but honestly I think they are a pretty big joke...although they have fun socials.

Social life is awesome. If you're a party boy/girl, you're set. If you dont like drinking, you're set. The school makes sure that everyone's happy and everyone has something to do. And contrary to popular belief, Greek life is not essential. However my sorority has enhanced my life in thousands of ways far far beyond the social/party aspect, and I wouldn't trade it for anything and would recommend it to everyone.

EVERYONE DRINKS BECAUSE THERE IS NOT MUCH ELSE TO DO. I DO NOT DRINK MUCH AT ALL AND MY SOCIAL LIFE SUFFERED AS A RESULT. PEOPLE DRINK EVERY NIGHT OF THE WEEK.

Richmond students love to work hard and play hard, and most of the time they play harder than they work. As for the party scene, a usual night starts out with friends pregaming in their dorm rooms/apartments until 11:30 or 12. Then they either head out to the apartments (where some juniors/basically all seniors live on campus) or the lodges. Each fraternity has their own lodge, which is a little house where the frat holds parties. The parties are basically just a huge dance floor inside with very drunken dancing and loud music and then people hanging out in the outside back of the lodge. People either love lodges or hate them. Other people just hang out and go to the apartments and drink with their friends or something. Lodges take place on Friday and Saturday nights. People go out to the apartments on Thursdays or go downtown to a club. People often go out other nights of the week as well if they don't have too much work to do. As far as Greek life, it is pretty important for guys to be in a frat, but sororities don't really matter. A lot of girls are in them, but it doesn't make that much of an impact on a girls social life.

Greek Organizations are really popular on our campus as well as sports. People party Thursday through Saturday like any other school. The dating scene isn't to big since the school is so small. The dorms are nice, compare to some of the schools I have visited. The laundry is FREE!!! I have left my dorm room open a couple times on ACCIDENT, but our campus has an honor code, and have not had any of my things taking a way. In fact, many students leave their items on the desks in the Library to go eat or whatever, and return to every object in its place. So I nevered worried about my things getting stolen by someone. (yet I still wouldn't leave my dorm room unlock on purpsoe lol). I'm not a big drinker myself so I constantly look for things to do that doesn't involve drinking. There's always parties on campus and off campus (alcohol is usually present) but you can ignore drinking it and just dance, talk, etc. The best activity to me is hanging out with my group of girl friends either watching a movie or going out to eat! Our school also has a resturant that have Kareoke nights and our library rent out movies. We also have movie showing in the Pier ( a student center building) that show movies that just left the movie theatre, but haven't made it on DVD yet. For instance, I saw Bourne Ultimatum weeks before it made it to Blackbuster!

WILL is really big. Greek life is half and half... you won't be left out if you don't join, nor will you be shunned if you do. Community service is pretty big. People mostly party on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, and drink heavily when they do, but there's always other stuff to do... including free movies in the Pier.

Most people go out on the weekends. Everything is done on campus. There are lodge parties which are fun, especially as a freshman. A lot of people just hook up at these parties. People will generally have fun at parties. Beer is free which is nice. In general, Richmond studies hard and parties hard.

Partying is kept to Thursday, Friday, and Saturday usually. Those with a heavier workload will go out less, and those with less of a load might go out more during the week. Typically students are busy with a lot of work during weeknights though. The main social scene is definitely the fraternities. They throw all of the big parties, socials, and formals. The campus does provide on-campus movies and other events on the weekends for those that do not wish to drink, but they have low attendance. There isn't much transportation off campus into Richmond, but I have a car. When I go off campus I usually go out to eat and to a movie. Otherwise most students only go off campus if there is a shuttle to a club downtown on a Thursday night.

Terry

There are no certain organizations/clubs/groups that are more popular than others. Students could leave their dorm room doors open if they wish to, because our school goes by a strict honor code that involves no cheating or stealing and generally everyone abides by it. Athletic events are not too popular here, we even get bribed to go to them. Going to listen to guest speakers or seeing theater shows is moderately important because some professors offer extra credit or students might just be interested in the topic. The dating scene is alright, but if you're not into preppy types then you've got no business here. If you are awake at 2am on a Tuesday you would probably either be doing your homework with everyone else or driving down to the local gas station Sheetz to get some food. There are some traditions that happen each year here. At the beginning of the year all the freshman girls put on white dresses and write themselves a letter to read at the end of their senior year about their experience from the first few weeks of school, and the guys do something similar as well. A couple of weeks before finals there is an event called Pig Roast which is apprantly a huge deal (still don't really get why but whatever). There is a tradition of Ring Dance for junior girls, and some other traditions which I can't remember the rest. You can find people partying here every single day. I don't know how they do it but they manage. During the weekends the parties are either at the university apartments where the seniors and juniors live, or at the fraternity lodges on campus. Fraternities and sororities are not that huge of a deal here, if you are not in one you can still end up being best friends with people who are in one since they do not live separately. If you are not into drinking there are other activities which you could do such as movie nights in the commons or go somewhere in town. Off campus there are plenty of things to do museums, parks, malls; pretty much anything.

Social life is FUNNNNN FUN FUN here. There's always something to do for both those who like alcohol and those who do not. Weekends are fun. Frats and sororities aren't too too important to me, but I guess they're fun for some. There's great shopping off campus too!

Either you're Greek or you're on a sports team. Everyone does some sort of extracurricular. Fun that way. I'm a heavy drinker so I party from Thursday through Saturday and then again on Tuesday. Pig Roast is like St. Patty's Day part 2. Good event although the Admin is trying to shut it down or make it mad weak.

A lot of greek life activites. Mostly stay on campus. Drinnking

Katy

Richmond offers just about any club or organization possible. However, if we don't have it, you can create it. I have had several friends start clubs or organizations on campus, and it seems virtually pain-free. Beyond clubs, Richmond offers six sororities and six fraternities to join. Greek rush is in the Spring Semester of your freshman or sophomore year, so that you have a chance to get settled in socially and academically before you rush. More than half of all girls participate in rush, while about 1/3 of men do. I met my closest friends in my freshman year dorm. We still live together and remain very close. However, I've met a lot of other great friends in my sorority or through campus activities. The dating scene at Richmond seems pretty casual. Most people tend to date around versus having one serious relationship. It's extremely easy to meet people because Richmond has a great social scene with parties at the campus apartments or fraternity lodges. Of course, if students choose not to drink, there are always movies showing on campus or concerts in the drama theatre.

Kris

There is always an event on campus, all the time. There are many different performances and lots of student run activities. Many activities and philanthropy events are put on by Greek Life groups and are available for the entire school. People party often. Greek Life is great - not too intense, but very enriching. You can definitely still have a lot of fun and enjoy Greek Life without being in a sorority or fraternity. Richmond has a ton of great restaurants and bars. Single-sex housing has its pros and cons - as far as social life, it is a negative thing because girl/guy interaction is limited to class and parties (usually of the frat lodge variety). The library is probably the most popular hang out spot on campus. It is actually true.

Fraternity Parties are usually the biggest events on weekends. Pg Roast is a huge celebration in the spring where all the fraternity lodges open up and virtually the who campus puts on ties and sundresses and spends an afternoon drinking. Dating can be tough, with single-sex residence halls, and the main place to meet people is in the library, or at weekend parties, where people are usually shit-faced. During the week most kids are in the library/studying. It is a very work-hard play-hard school. Fraternities are very popular for partying, but most times they are not overly exclusive, and if you are friends with some of the brothers, it is not hard to hang out with the guys and go to their parties. there are always programs going on, students often say the campus is "over-programed" with 12 different events being put on every night. Some of them can be really interesting, but it is always a struggle to get people to attend. Since so many people live on campus, the social life usually revolves round on campus stuff, and most people do not leave on weekends.

The International Club is known for its socials. Of course Frats and Sororities have their socials and weekend parties too, but the lodges are dirty and gross so the apartments are pretty popular too. It's very safe on campus and people can walk around campus at all hours of the day and night. When people are in the room the door is often open, but definately locked when they go to class. I met my best friends from my roommate and classes and clubs, everything seems to converge. Guest Speakers can be great if you have time to go. Drinking is not as prevalent or as pressured as most people would assume. Great place to come to get married or find your future mate!

Frats and sororities seem to be the things to do

The most popular groups are probably the football team or the fraternities/sororities. I am involved with the football team. Yes some students in the dorms leave their doors open. Sports games are not so popular along with theatre, but guest speakers sometimes receive nice turnouts. I am not wrapped up in the datung scene, but I would say scandalis. I met my closet friends by interacting with them and showing them that I was not the person they thought I was going to be when they first looked at me. Either bullshitting on my laptop or in one of my friends' rooms talking. The traditions and events that happen each year is the football teams spring game and the festival we call pigroast where people get drunk in the morning starting around 9 a.m. People party at least4 times a week at least. They are inportant to those wrapped up in them, but to me the fraternities here do not have my full attention at all due to their resentment of athletes. Last weekend I got drunk friday and saturday, friday went to a couples different parties around campus, and saturday I went to a fraternity lodge and then to an after-party at an apartment on-campus. Watch other people have fun drinking or go to the library and wish you were drinking with your friends. I go to the movies, bowling, out to eat, or hangout and chill with off-campus friends.

Athletic events are pretty popular on campus. Most students at least stop by for a little and cheer. The sport with the most spectators is definitely football. The football games are so much fun. The field is off campus but most students find a way to get there way before the game even starts. Weekends here are always fun. At least one fraternity hosts a lodge each weekend night. Our fraternities do not live together in houses on campus, however, each fraternity has a lodge. No one lives there but its a place for them to throw parties. They normally consist of huge dance parties which are always a lot of fun. For girls there is a shuttle around campus after 7pm. You can call the Spider Safety Shuttle at any time after seven and get a ride to anywhere on campus. It helps promote safety and is more often used as a lazy bus because our campus is so so safe. Fraternities and sororities are not the most important thing on campus. I decided not to join a sorority but almost all of my friends joined. I do not regret my decision. I am always welcome at fraternities even though I'm not in a sorority, and I still have a lot of girl friends who are in sororities. The campus also hosts many non-drinking events on campus. Every Thursday-Sunday night there is a feature film playing in the Commons. The improv comedy group has a few hilarious performances a semester, the a cappella groups are amazing, and there is always something going on in the Modlin Center.

Jeff

As far as activities on campus go, there is something for just about everyone. Unfortunately, for many people this is Greek life. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Greek culture, but at a school this size it just seems absurd. Everyone who joins a frat or sorority seems to get pigeon-holed into that one category. As a result, Frats dominate the social scene, which can sometime seem to leave little room for anything else. However, you really can make your own fun. I live in a building of 300 guys, and I know people on every hall of the building, so it's not hard to find something to do. My roomate and I built a fold out beer pong table for our room, and our weekends have been much more exciting ever since. There are plenty of cultural and social events on campus that don't involve drinking if that's not your thing. Off campus, there are two great concert venues that draw some pretty fantastic acts, among other things.

Mel

One of UR's claims to fame is the Women Involved in Living and Learning (WILL) program, the first of its kind in the nation. It's a co-curricular feminist organization (though not all of our members identify as feminists). Members are required to minor in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, though many choose to major in WGSS. Involvement in WILL been one of the defining experiences of my time at UR. I've met almost all of my close friends through WILL. While some people try to make the "feminist = lesbian" conclusion, there's no better group to join if you want to feel okay about being feminist and girly. We're overprogrammed on this campus; there's never a question of if there's something to do, but what to do out of all of the choices. Because of this, however, most programs aren't very well attended--people are too busy with the programs their group is planning. Greek life is definitely big here, but it's easy to meet people without being a part of the scene. Partying is big, though we're not exactly a "party school" compared to the big ones. If you don't drink, there's always something to do earlier on in the evening; you'll be on your own after 10 though.

Fraternities and Sororities are the most popular organizations on campus. Most other clubs do not nearly have the membership that frats and sororities do. Because of this, the weekend social scene generally is driven around fraternity parties. People generally party on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Besides hanging out with the Christian groups on campus, most all events on the weekend involve drinking. On the weekdays, people are typically very bogged down with work, so they'll be up late doing homework, not partying. The big party every year is Festivus aka Pig Roast. This is an event where everyone on campus dressed up in the preppy best (girls wearing Lily Pullitzer and boys in the vineyard vines ties and rainbows) wake up at 8 AM, and start drinking, go to the fraternity lodges on campus around nooon for some roasted pig and some dancing/general socializing, pass out around 2 or 3, and then get up and keep going all night. This is typically in early April when the weather is finally warm enough to go out.