University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

The best thing about Richmond in my opinion is football because that is the only thing that keeps me sane here other than my friends. If I could change something here it would be to make people more open minded to others instead of holding pre-perceptions of people without even knowing them as people. In comparison to other school Richmond os considered a small school, but I think it's just right. The fact that I am black people who do not know me generally ask do I play a sport which pisses me off because they feel that is the only way that I could possible be at a prestigous school. Richmond's administration reflects the student population which is majority white which comes with the same racial problems. The biggest recent controversy was the hanging of a black doll in a theatre classroom which the richmond administration tried to cover-up. They discovered it and waited three and a half weeks before they notified the students of what happened in means for the students to be passive about the event which angers me beyond measure. Hell no there is no school pride, students here are stuck up rich kids who take pride in drinking and partying. The have more spirit for alcoholic beverages than their own school and sports teams. The unusual thing about Richmond is the lack of support for athletics. I will always remember the first time I was called a nigger at the University of Richmond and how I almost destroyed the lives of a couple students with the thought to hospitalize them. The most frequent student complaints have been directed at the administration for the lack of ability to handle situations on-campus such as the hanging doll incident. Minorities especially black kids on this campus have lost trust in our head officials do to their passive approaches to all the racial incidents that have occured on this campus. No one gets punished and the president write e-mails to everyone talking about his sadness and how we as a community need to grow and learn from these events. I say that is bullshit some action needs to be taken so kids commiting these racist acts know it will not be tolerated. It does not take a genius to understand that if someone does something and gets away with it, someone will try to do the same thing. Our administration lacks the strength and will to want to create change here and that is what pisses me off being an person of color at this school. I do personally feel white people do not want black people here. I will sat that all white people here have not been snobbish; I have a numerous amount of white friends. Due to me being a ver social person with an open and fun personality, I mesh well with generally everyone, but others who do not step outside their boundaries remain sheltered from other students. I question my choice of accepting my scholarship here due to the resentment of people here, but I hold me head high everyday to let them know I will continue to strive for success no matter how hard they try to hold me back. I will achieve what I came here to do with or wothout them resentment.

Richmond is a very small, private university. This equals small classes, a tight knit community and a lot of controversy. All of which I love yet can find something wrong with. The small classes make for a much more personal and interactive learning environment where students get to know each other, especially in your particular major. But it is difficult to get away with not actually doing any work. I guess it's up to the individual as to whether or not that's good or bad. The tight knit community is great and helps with making and keeping friends. But it's a little difficult for me because I live off campus. A lot of activities are at night or on the weekends. I have no desire to drive for an hour at midnight or spend the gas money to go to school for an hour for something. But I get home cooked meals, my own bathroom and a dog so I'll take the extra time to drive for most things. Recently we had a nice big controversy over side-walk chalk. A few students were given community service hours for drawing pictures and writing in the Forum (a big open brick area). When this was published in the student-run newspaper, The Collegian, people freaked out and it was awesome. Students then went out at no o'clock in the morning and wrote an essay/statement about why we should be able to chalk in the Forum and it was washed away early the next morning. Then people freaked out even more and eventually made it so students had permission from the president to chalk on the Forum, as long as it wasn't vulgar. The following Friday there were people on the soap box and chalkers all around, showing their appreciation for free speech. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the chalking and look forward to the chalk days planned in the future. I believe this opened a door for students to be more vocal and active in what happens on campus.

Best thing: The science research is all undergrad so I don't have to fight for research positions. One Thing I'd change: The fact that everyone is exactly the same at this school. Size: Just right Reactions when I say I go to Richmond: In NY, "is that a state school?" In VA, "Oh I heard you have shoe shiners in your classes and the walls are covered in money and you are pampered beyond belief there." Where I spend most of my time: Gottwald (the science center, or my room) Not a college town at all. Richmond's administration needs to get the sticks out of their ass'. They don't listen to the student body and they basically know that the only thing we have going for us is our perfect prestine campus. So to maintain the campus they put metal bars up with American Holly bushes so that we only walk on the perfectly bricked pathways. Biggest controversy: The fact that some kid got five hours of community service for chalking the forum. Don't worry we are not allowed to chalk the forum at any point in time. School Pride? that's all I have to say. We are called the spiders... as a result I think we have identity issues. *shrugs* I don't know we're just really confused people. It's like the CT/NJ rich kids who want to go south for the pastels and annoying stupid toolish girls. Unforgetable moment: Going to Toad's Place at the same time as The Wu Tang Clan and then having the worst service ever and being really creeped out by the people that show up to Wu Tang concerts. So much craziness. Most frequent complaints: That nobody cares about anything on this campus. I came from a school that didn't have school pride but that was because we were all trying to save the world! These people are just fucking lazy.

The best thing about Richmond is the size. There are less than 3,000 students and that makes for great class sizes. You get to know each of your professors and they know you. Not only do they make time for you, but you can work individually with them outside of the classroom, because they are not juggling hundreds of students. Although Richmond may seem small at times, there are still tons of people who I haven't met! Another great aspect about Richmond is its location. It's nested back in the west-end of Richmond, in a very nice, small community. Essentially, the University sits behind neighborhoods. Because of its location, there are many shopping areas, parks, and restaurants close by. Many students love to drive into Cary Town, a modern area with street shops and dining. Most students complain that Richmond students do not have much school spirit. Most sporting events consist of students tailgating with drinks and food, and then leaving at half-time. Students do not usually dress in school colors for football games. Instead, women wear sundresses and skirts, while men dress in suits and ties. I will always remember orientation at Richmond. It is a unique experience. Richmond first-years arrive on Wednesday, and all of the upper-classmen arrive on Saturday. That allows four days for first-years to get adjusted on the campus before everyone else arrives. Each first-year is placed in an orientation group with both a male and female orientation advisers. During the four days of orientation, first-years attend dances, listen to speakers, participate in engaging activities, play intramurals, and attend a unique series called PlayFair. Orientation at Richmond is certainly memorable.

The students at the University of Richmond are what I would consider the "well-rounded" kids. Academics are a top priority, but we are also deeply involved in numerous extracurricular activities: Greek life, volunteering, Student governments, Class councils, Sports and athletics, etc. Most students here are very content. We are always impressed with the renovations and new building projects that are being done - the new dorm, Lakeview, is absolutely amazing. It actually looks like a hotel, not a dorm. The new gym is also fabulous, and meets the students' needs of being athletically involved and fit. Richmond is just the perfect size: on your way to class, you'll recognize and say hi to a fair amount of people walking by, but at the same time, there are always lots of people to meet. At Richmond, no one is just a number. We all have a say and the administration attentively listens to student concerns. For example, students wanted to be able to write with chalk around campus, and after some controversy, the administration allowed it. My favorite part about Richmond is its location. We are not located in downtown Richmond, so we are not a city school at all. But at the same time, we are not in the middle of no where in some cornfield. The city and all of its resources are a mere 10 minute drive, and there is always something going on around the Richmond area.

Overall, Richmond is an incredible opportunity. Research is readily available, class sizes are small, faculty and staff are always looking out for students, the campus is beautiful, and the city has a lot to do. Richmond is working on increasing diversity on campus and these efforts definitely show in recent years. The administration is always trying to improve the campus and student life. Also, if you're interested in study abroad, Richmond is the place to be. Plane ticket stipends, reimbursement procedures, a strong international office, etc. are all fabulous perks of studying abroad from Richmond. They work so hard to make it affordable and feasible for everyone. I'm currently abroad and loving it! This is definitely my favorite thing about Richmond. As for complaints, I find school pride a little lacking (until basketball season, of course!). This is a common complaint. The only other complaint is that it's a little difficult to get into the city from campus unless you have a car on campus. However, there are shuttles. For me personally, I find the campus a little small, but I still wouldn't change my college choice for anything. I've had a great first half of my college career and a large part of that is due to Richmond!

Overall I am in love with this school. It has provided me with opportunities to enhance my personal, academic and professional life every semester. The personal relationships I have formed with professors have led to internships both domestic and international as well as research projects that have given me the experience I need for my future. If you are thinking about the University of Richmond you already know about the amazing programs and the top notch education you will receive. If you didn't know the food is some of the best in the nation and Richmond City provides even more delicious options ( Cous-Cous.)You most likely have seen the astonishing beauty of this campus and yes it always looks that pretty! If there was one thing I would change would be to allow students to swim in the gorgeous lake that lies in the center of campus. While stunning to look at as the sun sets and the water glistens, a little splash in the spring when things get warm would make my experience here at Richmond the best I could ever imagine.

URichmond also has a lot of great FREE resources such as academic skill center (free tutoring), Center for Civic Engagement, Career Development Center, and much more. Our university also has numerous of opportunities to obtain a leadership position whether as a teaching assistant or officer in an extracurricular organization. Since I am a chemistry major, I am required to perform a certain amount of research. Undergraduate student are actually performing hands on hardcore research. Some school only let graduate student research while undergraduate student merely observe. By the way, there are no graduate student teaching any classes, only professors. Dorms are bigger than huge schools such as Pennsylvania State. Biggest controversy: Switching our point system from credits to units to imitate ivy league schools without consulting students' opinions. I hope the system doesn't screw our science majors over, since an organic chemistry class with lab is worth the same amount of units as a Basic of Acting class.

I love it here! The best thing about Richmond is that you can really have it all - the options of tons of majors, study abroad options, and social events, while still finding time to make close friends, and have tons of fun. One thing I'd change is the transportation available to students. I'd have more shuttles, but they're in the process of doing that now. I love the size of the student body because there are tons and tons of people I don't know, but whenever I leave my dorm room to go anywhere, I see at least one friend. When I tell people I go to Richmond they either say how great of a school it is, or they've never heard of it; it's a tossup really. The City of Richmond is great and has a lot of museums, restaurants, clubs, and fun things to check out, it's worth the 10 minute trip. I love the personal attention that professors give you, sometimes I pass my seminar prof from last semester and he always stops to ask me how I'm doing.

Richmond is the perfect school for anyone looking for a small, prestigious community to call home for their college careers. At roughly 3,200 undergraduate students, Richmond is small enough where you will see familiar and friendly faces when you are int he dining hall or going to class, but big enough where you will not see the same kids every day for four years. We spiders create a tight community where everyone seems to be looking out for each other. Although not everyone knows of the University when you tell them you go to Richmond, the people that matter such as employers are very familiar with the school and are impressed with the name. Our mascot is the only NCAA mascot called the spiders, and we are certainly proud of them. Our football team won a national championship a few years ago and our basketball team made it to the sweet-16 last year. What's not to love about the spiders?