University of Rio Grande Top Questions

Antonio

I would tell my self to apply for as many scholarships as you can because your really going to need them in the long run to go to any college that you have your mind set on going . Don't waste time trying to please everyone or wait until the very last minute to do anything , trust you'll only be hurting yourself. Get your degree in whatever you are choosing to do because you are worth your own education the time , sweat & tears are all going to pay off in the long run when you have those degrees & the outstanding job that you so derseve to blossom at. Do your best while your in school and never even think about giving up even when it may seem like your completey overwhemled with to many things at once everything will be ok Lovejoy juist breath take your time and live your life ...remember you are strong , smart, and very very bright and you have a bright future ahead of you . You just have to make a few great strides along the way . Never stop believing in yourself , Never doubt yourself and always always always love yourself before any one else.

Hope

At first I would tell myself to not be nervous about college. I would also tell myself that you will make alot of friends and that you will do great academically. I would say that college is a lot different than highschool. I would tell myself that you will like college a lot better because you will be more independent and will have more freedom. I would lastly say that Rio Grande is an awesome college and that you will enjoy the experience.

sandra

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself as a senior, in true high school fashion I would write myself a note and it would read as follows: Sandra, You don’t know me, well not yet anyway, but I know you. Right now you don’t know yourself very well either. You’re one of those people who goes through phases, searching for your identity. What you do know about yourself is that you’re smart, you’ve maintained a high GPA and even started college early. You’re strong, being the oldest of ten in a single parent household has given you a great responsibility. You’re very fortunate, but your fortune can only be utilized if you expand your dreams. Stop telling yourself that certain things are out of reach. Know your potential and don’t be lazy enough to settle for anything less. Don’t worry about having everything figured out today, it all comes with time. Lastly just enjoy the next few years and be open to change, even if you are afraid. Trust me it all works out in the end. Love yourself. Love, you.

Going back and speaking with myself during high school would give myself a big advantage in college. I could prepare muyself for things in order to be ahead of the game. First, I would educate myself regarding the classes here at the University of Rio Grande. The classes require a bit more work than what was required in high school. I would inform myself that the professors also expect more out of you when completing assigments. When it comes to the social aspects of this university, I would inform myself that there are many groups, including fraternities, student council and other college clubs available and willing to accept anyone, even if they have a disability. I would tell myself to research the different clubs right when my college year began. Overall, I would encourage myself to be prepared for what college academics brings to the table and to also be preapred for what the social aspect of it brings. I would tell myself that it will be more difficult, but with effort and dedication, I will be ok.

I would give myself the advice to stick to what I want. Dont let mom tell us we can not go to a school out of state if that is what we really want. Dont let any relationships get in the way of what you want. You will eventually get to where you are ment to be and get the degree you have always wanted. Stick to it. Dont let them bring you down or change your life in a way that will postpone your degree and your dreams. Study hard!

Cynthia

When I was young no one in my family had ever gone on to college. When we graduate we moved out and got married at and worked at jobs where thaere was no chance of advancement. If I could go back in time I would tell myself to go to school and get a degree. In the years ahead you will need some kind of degree to get a decent paying job. In the years to come the job market isn't good. Most employers want people that have more than a high school diploma. To advance in most jobs you will need a higher level of education and training. To gt more out of life for you and your family, you need to go to college and get a degree.

Wendelyn

I would tell myself not to be backward, shy, afraid and go as far as I can with my nurse educational plans. To focus and do the best that I can, because it's my future and I want to be a great nurse and teacher someday. To take in as much knowledge and experience as I can, because the best jobs go to those who are achievers. I need to not settle for less like my parents had to and to be able to do what they were only able to dream of doing. BELIEVE IN ME!

Renee

I would focus on the importance of grades and really paying attention in school. As a high school senior and as a college freshman it was about fun. You don't realize at that time the importance of getting good grades to have a high gpa for scholarships and grants for college. The focus would also be on hanging out with friends who also have your best interest at heart and not just those who want to have a good time. Would have to have friendships and family who would support you in your endeavors and help you maintain a focus and a determination to succeed.

Francis

Think further about what is important to you. Also about who around you, you need in your life. College is about making changes and learning what's important to you. The Ijust have to get out of here attitude in high school can change.

Sherry

I would tell myself to push myself harder. Take the classes that I found interesting and not hold back. I would also write down my ideas of organizations to start in the community. I would also start volunteering at placing that I found interesting in the city. Follow my dreams and what my heart was telling me. I love Interior Design and should have followed through on starting my own business with designing and decorating homes. Another passion I love is working out and I should have looked for colleges that also had health fitness specialists. I also need to gain confidence in myself and what I believe in.

I would tell myself to become involved in the campus activities right away. I was always extremely shy and it has gotten better over the years. If i had thrown myself into activities on campus and other events I know that my self esteem and my scholarships would be greatly improved. I would want my high school self to know that the evil teenagers in High school are nothing like the people you meet at college. The whole new environment breeds a whole new group of people who dont have the same cliches as high school does. Fianlly I would tell myself to make sure i have at least two flash drives and to back everything up on each one, you will lose one. When you find the first one your likely to lose another.

Kayza

If I could go back in time and give myself some advice about how to transition to college life. I would tell myself that no matter what my troubles were I needed to perservere. The hard times I experianced then, would more than make up for every second I felt that I was wasting.

As a high school senior it was not a hard decision for me to pick the University of RIo Grande. I wanted to play volleyball and I received a scholarship to play at Rio Grande. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to work out my class schedules better, and to be more open to new expiences my freshman year of high school. I would tell myself to not worry so much about the small things in the classroom, but to still work as hard as I could in the classroom. It is hard to think of much to tell my high school self because I have enjoyed my college years, and I was lucky that my transition was very simple.

Philana

From my college experience so far I have learned that it is a must to prioritize and to network. I had the priviledge to go away for school and be out on my own. I have met so many great people and built life long friendships with people I know for a fact are headed in the right direction. In my many classes I have learned to put my best effort in my work and everything that I do; if I do not show that I am serious about my work, my professors would not take my work seriously either. Stay focused on work and studying first before having fun became a big deal. I had to keep in mind that I was in school to get my degree, not to be popular.

I have learn some of the most important lessons of my life from my college experience. Such as hard work and dedication pay off, never be afraid to ask for help, and no matter what you may face in your life, never lose sight of who you are. My school has been valuable to attend because not only am I learning to better myself as a person, I'm also making for a successful future.

Della

I would tell myself not to give up and to stay focused.

If I could go back to my senior year in high school, I would tell myself to forget the drama...everyone does not have to like you! I would take all the classes I could towards my future... even the hard ones that I would have to take the time to study for. I would tell myself it is alright to be smart and to get good grades...it does not make you a nerd. I would worry less about being popular and more about being helpful. I would complain less about having to have a job after school and during the summer...it has given me money to spend during college for stupid things like Taco Bell. I would argue less with my parents over rules...their rules have kept me out of trouble at college, even though they aren't there to enforce them. Lastly, I would tell myself to not be afraid to go to college, to know your worth, and to believe in yourself...you are going to do great!

Brodie

Don't make the mistake i did and take college as a joke. It is your future, and what you do in college will have a major effect on you for the rest of your life. Now I am not saying you cannot have fun, you just have to find a fine line when to have fun and buckle down.

Lianna

The advice I would have given myself before going to college is to take my time on writing my scholorship applications. I didn't realize how important having scholorships would be later in life. The other advice I would give to myself is to move into the dorms the colleges have available. I learned that by living in the dorms it gives students more motivation to go to class because of location convenience. I know that if I would have taken the time to write my scholorship applications instead of rushing through them and taken more time to study for test, then I wouldn't have struggled as much as I have this last three years. I also know that if I lived closer to school and could walk to class from home, then I wouldn't have missed as much class as I did the first time I tryed to go to college. I started going back to prove that I can have a better life. I've made a lot of sacrifices to go to college and I didn't want those sacrifices to be for no reason. I want to make a difference in someones life.

I would tell myself to not worry as much and to hae a good time while balancing school with that because you only go through college once, hopefully.

Summer

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school teacher I would tell myself to stay focused on your school work. Go to RIo and work hard and have fun. Lifes going to get a little hard when you have your son but things will get better. School is going to be the only way out of the life you live so work hard and enjoy your son while you do it .

Alli

Don't just pick the first on you apply to. Go to more campus tours.

Krystle

work real hard and dont give up your goals. do not procrastinate on your homework and dont get overwhelmed in activities.

My advice to myself would be to study more and work harder while in high school to train yourself for what college is about. Make sure to make friends easily because friends through college help you get through classes easier. It is nice to have the support that one needs when times get rough. Be friendly and courteous to others, and the most important... Never lose sight of your goal and keep your dreams in mind.

Make sure to be open to others as they may be able to offer you learning skills, different ways of fun and friendship. My best friend is Welsh and I met him through soccer at the small college I go to. I never would have thought thatI would get to know so many foreigners through soccer and I now hang around foreigers more than I do Americans. So don't judge anyone too quickly and don't be scared to make new friends. Having friends means having study buddies and people to help you with stress and of course people to have fun with.

What was important for me was finding the right college that best suited me. Learning about my weaknesses and my strong suits made it essential to finding the right college for me. I think that everyone should be able to see themselves achieve success at the college that they are interested in. I feel that I learned so much more about myself when it came time to looking for the right collge. Maybe thats all it takes, really getting to know who you are and whats going to suit you. Because isn't that what we are supposed to do in college, is find ourselfs. Find out where we are going to be the most successful in and benifit society. Most people think that college is all fun and games but when it comes down to it, college is alot of hard work. Your basically training yourself for the "real" world. Whatever the "real" world is.

Thoroughly discuss every aspect of the college experience your prospective student expects to recieve, don't be completely closed off of the idea of letting your student attend their desired school even if it has the reputation of being a party school. Honestly everywhere they go there will be drinking, even on a dry campus or Christian campus, but you need to keep in mind not everyone actually participates in it, and even the people who do drink rarely drink as much as the outside world stereotypes them to. Chances are likely that if the student is unhappy with their school such as a small school in the middle of nowhere, they're going to resort to drinking as a form of entertainment. I've witnessed this far too often. Just make sure that they will be genuinly satisfied with their choice and that they're not just settling for a school under your pressure and influence.

Money isn't everything. Don't pick your school based solely on cost- it could come back to haunt you later. Start planning and researching early to make sure you get to go to college at an institution you want to be a part of, instead of winding up at a 'back-up.' Consider what's important to you in a college and research the universities you are considering according to the criteria you've set, and don't compromise!

Kindra

Parents make sure that you can afford that college. Students make sure that they have a major that you want and activities that you are interested in.

Krystle

do a lot of research and make sure you know what you want to do before you just decide to go to any school.