Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

Claudia

It is probably best known for it's prestigious science departments (great school for anyone wanting to go into medicine) and political science department (one of the top in the nation). It is also very well-known for being a New Ivy League (listed in Newsweek).

I believe it's important to research a school before and apply to schools that offer a variety of options for new students who may or may not what they are interested in studying. It is also very important to visit a school in order to see if it's a good fit for you.

I wish I would have known more about how much time is spent doing schoolwork. It varies from one major to the next--my major, political science, has a lot more reading than I anticipated.

Andrea

Being involved makes life a lot more fun and helps you meet people Don't live with someone with a different sleep schedule than you. I go to bed at the same time my roommate wakes up!

Make sure to think about your needs three years or so from now, and not just what you're looking for freshman year (this is easiest to keep in mind) and your career plans (these will most likely change). How will you grow and change, and how will this affect what you'll be looking for while still an undergrad, but in a few years? The steps to declaring a major or finding internships, leadership opportunities available, and living in upperclass housing are just as important as what orientation is like and how the college fits into your planned career path. One thing that I never read about in advice books, but that I have found to be important, is access to necessities: at each school, how easy is it to find and purchase YOUR PREFERRED BRAND of shampoo, cold medicine, etc.? This seems like a minor detail but really affects day-to-day life. In terms of success in college, it's important to learn about your own learning style. Do you do better taking notes in class, or recording what's said? Rereading notes, explaining them verbally, or writing study guides? Try different methods and see what works.

Leah

There was a flexible curriculum allowing you to take classes you were interested in rather than required courses. The campus was beautiful also isolated from the city with beautiful scenery and bike trails and a river for the crew team. Yet the campus was a short distance from the city's best attractions.

I'd advise doing thorough research on potential schools and visititing schools. During your visit, interact with current students and possibly professors, and bring a list of questions with you. Find out as much as you can about student life on campus, academic cirriculum, and extracirricular activities. Then weigh the school's advantages and disadvantages based on what's important to you. A strong personal essay can be very advantageous at many schools, so put a lot of effort into it and make sure it reflects who you are and your pursuits. Also, apply to schools "safety schools", several schools that seem like a "good fit" (sufficiently academically challening), and then a few "reach" schools. Most importantly, don't not apply to a school you want to go to just because you're afraid of getting rejected or someone says you can't. My guidance counselor in high school said that I would never get into my best fit school because "people from here don't go to places like that." I not only got accepted but received several scholarships from the university. Know what you're capable and but don't ever let anyone cause you to doubt yourself.

Someone who is incredibly focused, can learn independently, interested in research, and has a strong sense of their career goals. U of R is particularly strong in the sciences, music, and research. The school courages students to pursue their studies beyond undergraduate studies and give back at a global level. The school is academically challenging and most people live on campus, creating a sense of community.

Lilly

Take the time to find the right school for you. I was so ready to go to college, I accepted one that I wasn't that interested in after I got rejected from my top choice. I wasn't very happy my freshman year and ended up transfering. I love the school I'm at now. It's the perfect size, atmosphere etc. for me. But I should have been here my whole four years. I should have taken a year or a semester to travel or work and find a place where I would really fit in. College can be a big change for some people, and there's no reason to rush it for someplace that's less than perfect for you. Take you time at school visits, go back a second time if you need to. Don't just settle for a school to get out of home and into college. Make sure you set yourself up for four years at your perfects school.

How close to an airport it was. I was really worried about not getting home from upstate NY, so I almost went to school closer to home (NC). The campus is a 5min ride to the airport, and the school runs shuttles. Its also a $10 cab ride to the airport or train station. Getting home couldn't be any easier.

I get tired of being cold. A lot of people fall in love with this school in July. You should really visit in January, so you know what it's going to be like. I love the snow and really love going sledding between classes, but if you don't like that, don't come here.

Rochester is best known for its science and engineering programs. It has some of the top research facilities in the country. However, its liberal arts programs - though less well known - are also very strong. Many people associate Rochester with harsh winters. While it is true that the winters are long and snowy, the winter weather is not much different than anywhere else in the northeast.

A lot of time and energy goes into choosing the "right college." How big is it? Where is it located? Is it a party school? Does it provide adequate financial aid? What are its rankings? These are some of the questions that parents and students consider, tossing and turning, wanting so much to make the right choice. Ultimately, a student's college experience is what he or she makes of it. Students succeed best when they are happy. My school was not my first choice. In fact, I was miserable most of my freshman year. I thought about transferring, but after talking to my advisor I realized that going to a different school was not going to make me any happier. What I needed was to find my place and to find my passion. I am now going into the second semester of my senior year, and I couldn't be more satisfied with where I ended up.

I wish I'd known what a prominent role Greek life has on campus. The percentage of people directly involved with sororities and fraternities does not include people who go to their events.

Jazmine

The Eastman School of Music is known for it's elite training of gifted and talented musicians.

Research and preperation are the most important parts of finding the appropriate schools for a students needs. Start looking into schools about a year before starting college applications. In the months before applying the schools you have chosen should be looked at more thoroughly and probably reduced according to your personal interests. Starting applications early also helps to reduce stress and to keep your head clear. To make the most of your college experience keep focused on what you're studying and keep a close group friends.

At this school you learn how to survive withing the music world as well as learning the best skills for the field.

Robert

Talk to kids at the school who dont work for admissions. And meet upperclassmen.

Friends I made on my team.

Someone who likes to do fun things and be creative with their time. Also it gets really cold.

Dustin

You need to visit the college in person, and already have an idea of what you want to major in (or something realistic for undecided), in order to pick the school right for you.

Someone who can manage their time between schoolwork and extracurricular activites. Looking for parties on the weekends.

The amount of research for the size of the student population. It landed me my first internship.

Students should visit the college, sit in on a class, meet with a couple professors, and stay the night in a dorm at every college which they are seriously interested in attending. The size, location, and academic strengths of the college should cater to the student's personal preferences. A sad student is a poor student and a happy student tends to be more successful in school. Visting each school is important so that the student can get a feel of the dynamic of the campus. Asking questions is important. Are all the people outside or all in the library? Is there access to off-campus entertainment such as dining, outdoor activities, and music? Are students able to committ to a varsity team and still succeed academically? What kind of relationships do professors have with students? What opportunities does the college offer? The most important thing to remember is that the student is the customer and the school is running a business that is responsible for delivering a high quality education while also providing opportunities and lifestyles for maturing adults.

People who aren't committed to working for their education.

Someone who knows what they are interested in and have a passion for it.

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.