Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

Nathaly

Make sure you know what kind of school you want. Students, try to take any advice your parents give you because they want the best for you. Parents, respect their decision because they are not kids anymore, also, let them make their own mistakes. Just give them your support and give them some space, if they really want to go to school is because they know better.

University of Rochester is not an easy or a cheap school. So I think that anyone that really wants to do good and is willing to sacrifice in order to achive their goals should attend this school.

I always tell them how good worldwide my school is and how much they help in any way I need it.

Krista

Rochester's curriculum is great for anyone entering college unsure of their major because its lack of a core curriculum lets you explore your interests before you have to declare a major. My biggest disappointment in UR is that its administration's priority is very obviously public image over student satisfaction. The majority of its resources go toward trying to live up to its reputation as the small yet excellent research university recently deemed one of the "25 new Ivies," but in the process it neglects students' needs and ignores students' criticisms. This last year, there was a lot of controversy over the new meal plans that will take effect in the fall. The new plan changes meal plan requirements, making them based on residence rather than class year, so that ideally those with access to a kitchen will have smaller plans that those without. But the details of the plan are only changing which students will be bound by an expensive and unnecessary too-large plan.

Diversity has been a very popular topic on campus the last few years. UR is more diverse than many campuses, but many times groups won't interact with each other. This is something the student government, administration and student body are all working to improve.

I've had classes with over 300 other students and classes with only 5. Intro classes are generally large, but as you get more advanced and specialized, that will change. Rochester advertises the fact that all professors are required to do research as well, but it's important to look at this fact from another perspective: all researchers at the University are required to teach. Unfortunately, this rule makes it much more likely that you will have professors who are not meant to teach. I've been at this school two years and have already lost count of the number of professors I've had who, though they are very smart people, cannot teach.

Most people don't leave campus much, especially if they don't have a car, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means there are always people around campus, and it makes campus more lively.

Tessa

Overall I would say that the University of Rochester provides well for its students. Every college will have its shortcomings and Rochester certainly isn't without them, such as the constant battle with the meal plans and housing, but students are also not afraid to let their voices be heard and tell the administration how they feel about these problems. Rochester is not a school that has much in the way of school pride, athletic events are poorly attended and most campus events have to bribe students with free giveaways to get them to show up. The University of Rochester is in a unique location that separates it from the rest of the city so that there isn't much of a college town atmosphere, and it is my understanding that predominantly students do not stray far from campus.

Rochester has a significant amount of diversity throughout the student population, at least in comparison to the small WASP farm town from which I came. There are student groups for almost any minority or religious group, and countless activity groups based on unique interests that one could make their home ground on campus. It is unfortunate that people of varying backgrounds do not often interact with each other and instead stick together, but there are always exceptions to the rule. Most Rochester students seem to be from upper-middle class to upper class families and have the expectation that they will end up in the same place. Once again, there are exceptions but the majority rule dictates that saving money is largely not an issue.

Unfortunately these stereotypes are true in most circumstances, but thankfully not all. I for one am not the stereotypical Rochester student, I did not choose Rochester because I didn't get into an Ivy league school but rather it was one of my top choices. And for the stereotype about the University, it seems to be true for much of the larger natural science courses, where they try to make it as cut-throat and challenging as possible, but there are a select few who in fact try to establish relationships with their students.

The University of Rochester takes academics very seriously, and we have been called a "new Ivy League" school status; implying that the methods used in the classroom and demands of the students are very vigorous. As a result many of the classes are very cut-throat and competitive, which is not a surprising reaction at a school filled with students who were at or near the top of their high school graduating classes. The Rochester curriculum provides fantastic opportunities for students to explore the different divisions of academia, of which anyone who attends here should take advantage. With the Cluster system rather than multiple required courses such as gym that all the students must take, students have the ability to choose something that they like or at least can tolerate instead of putting up with tedious required courses.

The most popular student groups on campus are the minority groups such as the Black Students Union, the Chinese Students Union, and the Greek life. Although students in certain student groups will interact and socialize with others, there is a bond formed in them that can make it difficult for outsiders. There are plenty of social activities and interactions, and more often than not the challenge is deciding which events to attend as opposed to boredom from having nothing to do. Parties are certainly relevant at Rochester, but there is no pressure to be a part of that lifestyle by the majority of the student population (although there may be some in one's own personal peer group).

A stereotype of most Rochester students is that we are the rich nerds who couldn't fit into or couldn't get into the Ivy league schools so ended up here as back up. A stereotype about Rochester as a university is that it is a teach yourself sort of atmosphere, and as a research school the professors are there for research and teach only because they have to rather than actual enjoyment or proficiency in teaching students.

Rose

The Rochester campus is a "bubble" which is pretty isolated from them outside city. In actuality it is not safer because of this. There is a serious lack of reliable transportation to and from the campus. There is a lack of diversity. There is little to no school pride. The food on campus is pretty bad because the school's food provider is Aramark which is crap. The students are far more interested in their GPAs than in meeting new people. The entire social scene revolves around greek life. Even the greek life isn't that socially spectacular.

There is a serious lack of diversity on campus. Students wear any assortment of things to class, but most commonly they are in general, very low matinence. The students are typically very driven in terms of knowing what they want for themselves in the future. The sports teams are very cliquey. It's not segregated along social lines per say, but students cannot be called warm, open, or welcoming in any way.

It is a difficult school to adapt to if you are a social person who thrives off of open social interactions. They do a January admit for freshman, which I deeply recomend that all people avoid. It is impossible to come in during the middle of the year and quickly adjust and have a great time. It is better to start with everyone else in the fall.

unfortunately they are very accurate.

There is a mixture of large lecture hall classes where the professors probably don't know your name, and small classes where they definitly will. The vibe on campus is less intelectual and more studious. The nice thing is that the academic requirements are very flexible. There aren't hoops to jump through in order to take most classes unless they are higher level classes. The campus itself is extreemly studious. It's totally common to see people studying at all hours of the night in the study locations on campus which are open 24hrs a day (there are two).

The dating scene couldn't be any more pathetic. All partying on campus either stems from a sports team, or almost always a greek party. The greek scene is completely dominent on the social scene. Athletic events are mildly popular. There are almost always movies playing every friday and saturday nights. Having a car on campus is the only way to have any sortof independance/mobility while at school. There are a lot of events on campus involving performances from student groups, as well as performances and lectures that the school imports.

Some of the stereotypes are that everyone is very antisocial and nerdy.

One of the best things about Rochester is the way the curriculum is set up. The fact that you can take pretty much any class you want coming into the school is great, and really designed for most college students, who don't know what you're doing. Everyone is also really helpful, and there to make sure you're doing what you want to be doing. Another thing that really played a part in my decision to come to Rochester was the fact although the students with themselves, they don't bring that through to each other. Everyone is always studying together and helping everyone else. It's a really community-oriented environment. People seem impressed when I say that I go to Rochester, because the school is getting more popular and known around the country. It's becoming one of those "new ivys" i think. There is definitely a lot of school pride. As always we show it in sports, particularly basketball, but it's also really strong because the class presidents and administration work hard to make class activities where we can all get closer. One complaint, and a recent issue on campus was regarding housing and the mealplan. Up through my first year students at Rochester could pick a variety of meal plans, governed by what year you were. The administration made its best guess as to how to limit younger students new to college so that they would always have a sufficient mealplan. However they have recently changed the policy and it is now tied to where you are living. For me this has turned out not to be that big on an issue, but when I first heard about it I agreed with most of the school that this wasn't a very good idea. Peope who were planning to change to a certain mealplan couldn't, because of where they were living, and some living arrangements closer to eateries with one kind of payment style, are going to house a lot of people unable to buy a lot of the food there. This has been a big issue so far and it is great how the students have already petitioned together many times for it to be changed. There's a lot of school spirit and strong leadership skills in our school.

While there is significant diversity at Rochester, I feel that a much greater connection could be made throughout the students among the different diversities. I definitely know a lot of people from different ethnic, religious, social, and political backgrounds but I'm slightly sad to say most of my closest friends come from a similar background to mine. I recently performed with my dance team at an award ceremony honoring the different community service acts of various ethnic fraternities, sororities, and student groups on campus. I was honestly surprised at how many there were and what they had been doing. It was great to see that there were so many groups and achievements, but many people I felt I had never seen before, let alone interacted with. There definitely is diversity, but it feels much more separate than it should be from the overall community of the school.

My first year at Rochester was a blast. I tried so many new activities, classes, and people, and the great thing is that the ones I haven't gotten to try yet, I can't wait to do next year. Not being a freshman anymore and therefore new to the school doesn't put any pressure on joining new groups. I love the people and the community feel of Rochester, and also the fact that everyone is really focused on learning something and going somewhere, but with the overall goal of enjoying life, not so much making a ton of money. I wish that it was a slightly bigger school, because sometimes the feeling that everyone knows everyone makes it feel less like college, but the school itself works well in the size that it is. The food I would have to say is really not so great, but you learn to manage it, and if you put the time in and get the right meal plan you will be fine. Everyone is so helpful and friendly and really bent on making sure you get a great college education and experience. There is definitely a lot of partying, however it's not out of hand. And if you're someone who doesn't really want that scene or who doesn't want to drink you will be totally fine. Everyone that parties or does the fraternity/sorority scene and everyone that doesn't are very accepting of each other. It's a challenging school but also a really fulfulling one.

I really do like the freedom in the academics at the university and the classes themselves are quite good. I have not had that much personal interaction with my professors which I would like to improve upon, but many of my classes so far have been big lectures. It's also a little hard to find your way in that area as a freshman who is undecided because you really have no idea what to take. The advisors are as helpful they can be but they are just general advisors, the real ones come when you have settled on a major and picked a department. Also, the professor really makes the class. I have had some classes that could have been a lot better had I been more enthusiastic about the professor. I also really like the writing class requirement, for it's help with essay-writing, but even more so for the interesting theme's they come up with. It's a great break from everything else that you're studying, and for me, it really gave me a hint as to something I was passionate about and maybe should look more into, because for the first time I enjoyed writing essays!

Everyone is extremely friendly at Rochester and the events and programs going on are almost always well attended. 's great because everyone, although we spent so much of our time in the library studying, are the kind of people that really like to get up and do things. 2 am on a Tuesday is an extremely busy time. Most people are still awake, studying perhaps, but maybe having a cooking party in someone's kitchen, watching a movie, or if it's nice outside, taking a midnight stroll. There were many groups of friends on my floor but everyone was friendly, and I became really close with a small group including one of my roommates. Some of my best friends also came from people someone else introduced me to, and through dance. I do wish people were more enthusiastic about meeting people in class. I have made a couple in that sort of a setting, but it is difficult with the big classes. I am part of the D'motions Dance Group, it takes up almost all of my time, at least half the year, and I love it. I have always loved to dance but haven't ever really done that much seriously before and this is the perfect setting. It is a very focused group, practice is imortant, and we are all reallly passionate about the dancing. However it is most focused on bringing people together and enjoying dance. The way it is set up was exactly what I was looking for.

Melissa

Rochester is a great place to try new things in both academics and extra curriculars. It's unique cluster progam makes taking interesting classes so easy. My freshman year, I took a lot of classes that didn't relate to my major, and found that I wanted to double major in a new area. Rochester students work really hard during the week, and let loose on the weekends.

They are all very driven people who work really hard and do well in classes.

The cluster system is amazing. It lets you explore new and exciting topics. Professors are generally easy to get a hold of. The only exception would be the huge freshman lecture classes, but in those classes you have T.A.s that are more than happy to meet with you. The music department at Rochester is awesome. It's pretty small, but I like it that way because you get to know all the professors really well and they get to know you. Also having the resources at the Eastman school of music is an amazing oppertunity that only Rochester can provide.

The social life at Rochester is what you make of it. Getting involved is very easy to do, but some people don't. As a freshman, you become very close with your hall and they become very fast friends. There are weekends every season for the campus to enjoy, such as Meloria Weekend, Dandelion Day, and Winterfest.

Ryan

First things first, it's cold. Really cold. A lot of people have trouble adjusting to the winters. They're not so bad if you've lived in the NE or somewhere else with lots of snowfall before, but pack warm and be ready for the hell of a car in winter if you drive :) It's a fairly small campus, although it's expanding quickly over these next few years. This means that the party scene isn't always as active as you'd like, but it also means that you see some of the same people in a lot of your classes within a given major, the school administration is more flexible about, e.g., paperwork problems, etc. The city itself isn't really a college town, but there's stuff to do. There are a decent number of restaurants and bars in the nearby area, although pretty much nothing within walking distance. There are a couple live music festivals in the city each year, and there are usually good concerts either in Rochester or a nearby town like Buffalo. The local music scene is great, although it's hit-or-miss bringing it to campus these days. Housing is DIRT CHEAP in Rochester. It's very hard to get permission to live off campus as an underclassman, but once they let you off, assuming you have a car, it's a very good idea. The going rate for a room in a rented house or apartment seems to be around $300/month, less if you're willing to give up some space. I know a lot of people who rent full houses with only 1 or 2 roommates and pay substantially less than the price of dorms. The #1 complaint most students have is the horribly meal plan they force everyone on campus into. It's overpriced and terrible. Not as bad as, say, my high school food was, but it will still leave you craving fast food as if it were gourmet. Paying $7 for a 12 pack of soda only stings a little less when the $7 is dining plan money (which students frequently call monopoly money because it's next to worthless). They force you to overbuy, too; most underclassmen have enough meal credits to provide free food to all their upperclassman friends without coming close to running out. I think I had around 100 meal credits left at the end of the first semester. That's $700, gone. You will learn to despise Aramark. On the plus side, if you're willing to go spend real money on food from time to time, Rochester has good diners and the always delicious garbage plates (google it, they're delicious, best 3am post-bar food EVER!)

I went into this a lot already. In terms of politics, students are liberal by American standards, but more centrist than I expected based on the stereotype of the university student. I've met a grand total of two students who would actually defend Bush and the Iraq War, but that's hardly surprising at this point. The average student is probably a moderate Democrat who hates Bush but has some reservations about Obama. There are activist groups on campus, but most non-members view them with little more than scorn. Math/science students interact with others a lot less because of their workload, but in general, the Rochester Curriculum helps bring together students in different majors with some shared common interests. There are a lot of locals and Northeasterners, but an increasing number of out-of-region students like myself as well. It's not the most diverse campus, but it could be worse; I've had classes with all white people, but they're fairly rare. Religiously, there are a substantial number of atheists/agnostics (as on most college campuses), and the religious students are predominantly Jewish or Catholic from what I've seen.

I don't condone or condemn any of this; I'm just providing information. That said, realistically, the vast majority of college students will experiment with at least alcohol, and providing information so people know what to expect can't hurt, so: Most students drink on the frat quad. It's traditional for the frats to provide free beer to partygoers, although it's usually the cheapest of the bottom-shelf stuff. Beer pong is wildly popular, and every frat I've been in on the quad has at least a few tables set up on the weekends, but there's still often a fairly long wait for a chance to play on busy nights. If you befriend some brothers, you might be able to get better beer, as they often buy small amounts of higher quality stuff for themselves. There are a fair number of cigarette smokers, as well as a vocal minority of aggressive and hostile non-smokers. For the most part, if you're respectful, people won't give you too hard a time for smoking. Be prepared to pay about 5 bucks a pack, though... The majority of students I know smoke cannabis. That's never free, of course, but it can usually be found over a night on the quad if you ask around. New York is a decriminalised state, so possession of small amounts is not a misdemeanour; it's basically a traffic ticket, $100 for first offence. Campus security doesn't have the authority to demand a search, so it's pretty rare for people to get in trouble smoking on campus, aside from those who do it in the dorms and get busted by the RA. Prices are moderately high, but so is quality, for the most part. The beginning and end of each semester and the time right before or after each break can be rough in terms of availability. As for other substances... Adderall and other stims make their way around during midterms and finals pretty consistently. There is a small subcommunity of opiate users, and actual opium pops up from time to time. From what I hear, coke is sometimes easier to find than pot. Everything else tends to be very inconsistent; hard drugs are a lot rarer on campus than in the city proper. MDMA (AKA ecstasy) has grown extremely rare in recent years, as have psychedelics. You have to know the right people and/or get pretty lucky to find such things.

As I said, we don't really have stereotypes. The description I gave above is pretty accurate, otherwise I wouldn't have written it :P

The biggest downside to the campus size, in my experience, is that we have fewer courses each semester than bigger schools. You won't necessarily be able to find that narrow speciality course on the one decade of Albanian history that really fascinates you or whatnot. For its size, though, the course offerings are pretty good, and the Rochester Curriculum gives you tons of flexibility. Speaking of the Rochester Curriculum... It's awesome! General ed requirements sound like a horrible idea, and they don't exist at Rochester. You have to take either a major, minor or cluster (3 related courses) in each of 3 broad thematic areas. Plus, you have to meet your major/minor requirements and take one freshman writing class. Other than that, it's up to you! With 32 classes in a normal full-time schedule over 4 years, and many majors taking less than half that many to complete (Poli Sci takes 12. History takes 10. Math/sciences usually take a lot more), there's usually tons of room (for Humanities/Social Sciences majors, anyway) to take random classes just for fun. There's a wide difficulty range between different classes. If you plan your schedule entirely around easy grades, you could probably get a 4.0 without too much difficulty with a moderate amount of work. In some classes, you'll be buried to the neck in work just to pull a B. It pays to ask around, or to use various online resources to pick profs and classes. As with the classes, students' grade consciousness varies a lot, too. There are a fair number of GPA competitive students trying to go to law school, grad school, etc. There are also a fair number of students who could care less so long as they don't get kicked out or lose their scholarships/grants. As I said, there's a wide range in class difficulty, so if you want a challenge it's there, but if you want to coast through you probably can do that as well. As with difficulty, classes range a lot in terms of quality of discussion. I've taken some classes with discussion that was, in my opinion, easily grad school level. I've taken some classes where, every time certain students opened their mouths, I began to fantasise about jabbing my pen deep into my eye socket to poke a hole in my brain and end the misery. Smaller, higher level classes are obviously more conducive to good discussion. There are a variety of classes in the Comp Lit department that are usually under 20 students with over half grad students. These classes are awesome if you like good discussions and knowledge for its own sake. They will also never help you get a job outside teaching ;) The Quest courses offered to incoming freshman are great. I took the one on Nonviolence, and it's one of the best classes I've ever taken. I've heard mostly good things about the other ones, too. If you find one that interests you, I highly suggest signing up for one.

There are a ton of student groups on campus, and most people I know are active in at least one. I am a member of the Policy Debate team, which I can safely say is the single best decision I've made in college thus far. Debate is one of the more active and organised groups on campus. We attend tournaments around the country about every other weekend (driving or flying, depending on distance), which is great fun. Nothing beats the school paying for our travel, tournament and hotel expenses to hang out with good friends and compete against rivals from other schools for the weekend. We're open to all levels of activity and experience, whether you're a TOC champion high school debater who wants to go to national tournaments or someone with no debate experience who wants to try out a tournament or two, and the only thing you pay for is food. I cannot possibly recommend this activity enough. If you have never done it, all I can say is this: it's almost certainly nothing like you imagine, anything that interests you can probably become a debate argument (seriously... there was a team from Bard College that would do weird postmodern performances, make jokes about debate and read abstract poetry about Nietzsche and they did pretty damn well) and it is the most intellectually rewarding thing you will ever do. Athletic events are relatively popular as a way to kill a couple hours with friends, but our sports teams are not very good in general. Rochester doesn't recruit many sports players, so we get whatever Rochester students happen to be good at sports, more or less. Guest speakers are fairly common and pretty popular among the more academically oriented students, and there's a theatre on campus that plays movies for about $2 a couple times a week. We also have live theatre, a couple a capella groups, some on-campus bands, etc. The dating scene? Meh, who dates in college? At any rate, I guess the hub for that would be the frat parties, which range from huge and bumping 3+ nights a week when the weather is nice to a virtual ghost town on the worst winter weekends. On an average weekend night, there are probably at least a couple hundred students on the quad, so it's not hard to meet new people. Some people go out every weekend (many starting on Thursday night), while others very rarely go to the quad. If you ask a frat brother, the frats and sororities ARE the social life on campus, but plenty of people get along just fine without them, especially since many students have ample space in off campus dwellings for parties and get-togethers of their own. I met most of my friends either in class or through debate. Most of my friends I met through parties on the quad have long since graduated. Most of my close friends are debaters, partially because I fancy myself an intellectual and so do many debaters, but also because I travel with them regularly and we end up spending a lot of weekends together at debate tournament hotels. We used to have a tradition called Dandelion Day. It was officially just a school celebration, but unofficially it was the day that every student made it their solemn mission to be drunk by 11 am and stay that way all day. The administration pulled the plug on it because of this this past year, but students 'celebrated' anyway.

We're not really big enough to have our own stereotypes, heh. In my experience, there are a lot of fairly well-off and sheltered students here, but also a lot of students who would seem like they belong at some state party school until you realise how intelligent they are. It's a small, selective school, so less-than-intelligent peers are the exception, not the rule, assuming you avoid a few select classes and majors. There's a healthy Greek scene, with the major frats having houses on campus, but it's quite easy to get by in campus social life without pledging; I'm going into my senior year as a non-Greek all the way through, with no regrets. The frats offer a wide range, from traditional drink-and-haze type of frats to some more academically focused or casual frats. There are a bunch that live in other campus dorms or off campus rather than on the frat quad; these ones tend to be a lot more laid back, with less big parties and less rigorous pledging processes.

Laurel

Rochester is a great place to go to school. It's a small school in a big university, so it has a nice small school feel but not too small to make you claustrophobic. When I first got there, I thought I was going to hate it because I'm from a big city and Rochester is a small city. I was worried I wouldn't be able to relate to the students from upstate New York. But my freshman orientation was an unbelieveable experience and I quickly met friends that I will be friends with for my entire life. The people at Rochester are unique because they are kind and inviting rather than cold and snobby. The actual campus is easy to get around , except in the winter when it is freezing. Investing in a North Face down coat is essential for survival. There is a city, and having a car is necessary after freshman year to prevent dying of boredom. There are cute cafes and restaurants in the city and they're only about a 10-15 minute drive. The best part about the city is Wegman's, a huge supermarket open 24 hours a day. Since the food on campus is terrible, Wegman's will get you through those late night study hours. The administration has improved significantly since I was a freshman at Rochester. As a member of a sorority, I had to work with the administration often, and they sincerely care about the well being of the students. Our Greek life on campus is a large part of the extracurriculars on campus, including community outreach, philanthropy, social events, and public service. Four years at Rochester, while it can seem tough at times, is worthwhile in the end for the incredible education, the outstanding people, and the unforgettable memories.

Awesome people. There are hundreds of different student groups on campus. The university is full of leaders and talented students. The best groups would be the dance groups, the a capella groups, Bhangra, and Improv. Most of the students at Rochester are from the Metropolitan area in NY, or from upstate NY. The students are typically pretty wealthy, but not all of them. They are very liberal, left-wing when it comes to politics. Rochester claims to be a diverse school, but from my perspective, it is not at all. Similar cultures tend to stay together and separate themselves from everyone else. I love the people because everyone is so much fun and seems happy all the time. I have made amazing friends at Rochester and I hope all other students who go there do the same.

That's it! Go to Rochester, you won't regret it!

The best thing about the academics at Rochester is the fact that you don't have to take any prerequisites except for a writing course your freshman year. Other than that, you only have to take the courses for your major and 'clusters'. Clusters are sets of three related courses that have to be in the two fields that are not in your major. For instance, if you were majoring in psychology, that is a social science, so you would have to take two clusters, one in the humanities and one in the natural sciences. They can be any three courses of your choice as long as they have some relation to each other. The professors, at least in the biology and math departments, are incredible people. They are always willing to answer questions and make themselves available. The best class I ever took was Organic Chemistry, which sounds crazy, but because of small groupwork called workshops, I was able to master the material without ruining my sophomore year. Group work is very common and we have many communal studying centers in Rochester, and one is even open 24 hours. The one problem about academics at Rochester is that I think people study too much and don't know how to study correctly. People are constantly in the library, and in the end may not do as well. This is probably typical of every school, but many people will sacrifice their social life completely at Rochester for the sake of academics. Getting an education from U of R looks great in the professional world and will set you on the right path to a great career.

I already talked a little bit about this, but let me talk about night life. The party scene at Rochester is variable. When it is warm out, the parties can be great. The only parties on campus are from Fraternities, but there are a lot of them so it works out. The parties that are publicized can get really big and chaotic, but usually controlled. I prefer parties with only about 20-30 people in a suite in one of the residence halls, but those can get broken up. Only about 20-25% of the school actually goes out on the weekends, so you usually see the same people out. During the winter, it can get difficult to get the energy up to go out. There are bar parties by sororities and fraternities, and since those are inside, they usually get more attendance. During freshman year, people who do go out usually go out about 3-4 nights a week, and that slowly decreases as age increases. When I was a senior, I went out once or twice a week, and usually went out to the bars. If you don't drink, there are always campus activities having events. There are also a lot of local cafes and stuff to hang out in. There is a group on campus called Campus Cinema Group, and they usually have showings of recent movies in our movie theatre for a cheap price. It can get depressing sometimes if you don't go out, but I think people find something to do . If you do want to go out, I highly recommend joining a sorority or fraternity. My social life quadrupled when I joined my sorority. It makes it so much easier to make connections and network with other people in the Rochester community. I made my best friends on my freshman hall, but most of my other friends are the girls in my sorority. Not only that, joining my sorority made me a leader in my school and among my friends. It developed my self confidence and my interpersonal skills which are essential for the real world. It is your friends and social life that prepare you for the real world in college, not the academics, so make the most of it.

Very hard working students, very nice people, not competitive, willing to study in groups, work hard, party harder, except when it's cold

Jeremy

Rochester is very small and you can find/make many close friends. Every person has a hidden talent or something special about them. When I tell people I go to UofR, they say "Oh! Tha'ts a good school!" or "wow, you are in the middle of nowhere". Downtown Rochester is pretty awesome, with Eastman School of Music right around the corner: lots of concerts, there is a thriving music scene. However, in the 19th ward, right next to campus, is the section with the #1 crime rate...in all of New York. So don't go there after dark. Rochester is probably the forgotten hero of our nation. We have a LOT of firsts...we have Kodak, we have George Eastman, we have Xerox. the eerie canal is right by us, we have the largest laser in the world, we have one of the best medical schools. We also have a fuckload of lilacs (Lilac Festival) and is the eternal home of Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass. Mount hope Cemetary is the largest colonial cemetery in the nation. the administration goes through busts and booms, just like the economy. They vascillate from a liberal, student-oriented approach, to a money-guzzling, 'screw you', 'no fun' administration. As of 2008, they are in the upswing of the latter =( Rochester is lots of fun but lots of work...and a little annoing at times, but generally a good school

We all have two thing in common: hardly on school spirit and tolerance. Anyone is welcome to learn about anyone's culture, though diversity is, as usual, a joke. Rochester is not a traditional university...everyone is an individual. There will be groups of people you'll encounter when partying, groups of people in classes who you study with...you usually recognize everyone, if not know them, and probably have heard a few embarrassing stories of who they made out with.

For the most part. I mean, there are always exceptions, and mostly everyone is friendly and down to earth. However, these stereotypes come through because the student body feeds into them and supports them. Also, 'unofficial' cliques form, but you can't prevent that.

Great. We have an amazing literary classics, biology, writing (who knew), ASL, and political science department. We have great teachers, but that varies. you'll learn who to stay away from and who you MUST take. Education is particular to your major and students are competitive, but will help each other out - at least, in the humanities division. Students do a lot of allnighters and procrastinate in the library, sometimes amping out there, but usually it involves playing video games. Rochester students have dance parties, drunk fests, themed parties, moustache parties...all depending on what group you find.

Social life around finals is haggard and potholed. however, it all depends how much work you have and how social YOU are. mostly everyone will make time to hang with their friends, but usually people do their work...or slack off for a few months and do it last minute. As a whole, the student body does pretty well for itself, but its divided into two halves: the studystudystudy, and the people treating college as an experience

Rochester is a far and distant land where Winter reigns, and if there is any sun, it pokes its head out for five seconds to laugh at your shivering ass. Don't get me wrong: the fall and summers are beautiful, but the winters are harsh...surprise! That's the majority of the school year. If there is anything true about Rochester students, it is that they study hard, but party harder. At least, kids who aren't international students, premed, biology, or mechanical engineering...wait, that's about 30 percent of the student body... Almost everyone plays an instrument and/or appreciates music, which is a plus. Also, most people are above average intelligence, which is pretty nice. There are many unique characters at Rochester, ranging from chill, accepting, and laid back, to anal librarywhores. Rochester is diverse, if you say 5/8 white, 2/8 chinese, and 1/8 other.

Alana

The best thing about U of R is the size. The number number of students, I feel, is perfect, and the campus size is also perfect. It's not so small I feel trapped, and not so large that I feel lost. Most people think you're really smart if you go to U of R. Whenever I tell people, they usually gasp and say, "Wow, you must be really smart!" I usually just shrug it off and say "I guess...." It sometimes feels awkward. I spent most of my time in my dorm building, on my floor (until it got nice out).

I love all the people on campus. Most people always hold doors open for the next person, and most people seem, overall, considerate. Most of the students look nice when going to class, as opposed to sloppy and dirty. Everyone seems well put together, and most seem comfortable in their surroundings.

I really like the professors at U of R because I feel like they enjoy what they are teaching. They are always enthusiastic, no matter how boring I think the subject is. Most of my classes have been large, too large for a professor to know who I am; but this doesn't really bother me. Studying and reading pretty much takes over your life... It was rare that there was a time when there wasn't something i should be reading. It was manageable though, once you organize your time.

I was on the Dive team, and it was really overwhelming. I found I was spending 30+ hours doing something for the team. Since U of R is a D-III school, i thought it was a bit extreme. I felt really comfortable around my dorm, and if i was in my room the door was always open. (I had a very social floor)

That everyone who goes to U of R is either really smart or really rich

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.