Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

Charlie

roughly 5000 undergrads, plus 1000 graduate students. Long cold winters, lots of snow. Food is not bad, parking is a bit of a hassle. Overall an excellent place though.

predominantly Caucasian, though there are sizable percentages of minorities...approximately 60 White, 15% asian, 10% black, 10% hispanic, 5% other.

U of R is not RIT...It is also not a state school.

Excellent professors, very strong in the sciences, particularly in Optics and Biomedical Engineering. Also strong programs in Physics, Mathematics, chemistry, etc...Other departments are not as famous, though there are outstanding professors throughout the university. No core required classes, students must fulfill "clusters" in the two major areas which they are not concentrating on. For example, a physics major is majoring in a Science, and therefore must complete "clusters" in a social science, and a humanities subject. I personally am a Mathematics major, with my social science cluster in psychology, and my humanities cluster in Japanese. The cluster system is an excellent way to ensure that students have some variety in their curriculum, without forcing them to take courses they are not interested in. Its surprising that it is not a more common system in universities.

Sports teams don't receive very much attention on campus, though this has been changing recently. All the standard college type clubs, singing groups, dancing groups, club sports, martial arts, political interest groups, volunteer networks, etc...

Rochester if often confused for a public state school, and is also often confused with RIT. The atmosphere here is very hard working, though there are parties on the weekends.

Ashlee

I will start by saying that I am in the Take 5 program at the U of R but I'm a student at the Eastman School of Music. I'll do my best to talk about both. Both schools have a great faculty and great campuses. They're both ranked among the top in the US. When I first got to Eastman, I thought it was WAY too small (500 undergrads), but now I can't imagine it any other way! I've always thought the U of R was a nice size, though (around 5,000 undergrads, I think). The reaction I usually get about going to Rochester is usually some kind of joke about the snow. People who know a lot about music react really positively when I tell them I go to Eastman. At Eastman, I spend a lot of time in the practice room (lol), at Java's (the coffee place next door), and in the library. At the River Campus, a spend a lot of time at the library, the gym, and Starbucks. Rochester is obviously a city, but there are actually a LOT of colleges around, including RIT, Nazareth, St. John Fisher, Roberts Wesleyan... I honestly don't know much about the administration at Rochester, except for President Joel Seligman. He's okay, I guess. People at Eastman have mixed feelings about him because of his university unification project. I love the adminstration at Eastman, although we'll have a new Dean of Academic Affairs in September, so we'll see how that goes. The biggest recent controversy at Eastman is probably about renaming "Eastman Theatre" "Kodak Hall." Eastman students usually have a lot of school pride; I'm not sure about students at the River Campus.

There are many very active religious groups on both campuses and an active Pride group at the River Campus. At Eastman, because of the amount of Asian students, there is a small divide between the Asians and those of us who are not, unfortunately. I try to bridge the gap, though -- my best friend at school is from Shanghai. The LGBT community is not only excepted at Eastman, but is the majority of the male population. Four tables of students in the dining hall at Eastman... one is Asian. one is full of brass players. one is full of obnoxiously loud singers. one is a strange mix of all three. The dining halls at the River Campus are too busy for me to notice what kinds of people the tables are comprised of. haha. Rochester students are from all over the world. I've met some people at school that are some of the richest people I've ever known, but there are also some lower middle-class people who take out massive amounts of loans. Students are VERY politically aware. The majority are left-winged, but there are many who swing toward the right as well. Students at Eastman do talk about how much they'll earn one day. There is a facebook group called "My tuition costs more than my future annual salary."

Professors usually do know my name... at Eastman we generally have small enough class sizes, and at the River Campus, I'm "that Take 5 girl from Eastman," so yeah. My favorite class this past semester was British History to 1485. Medieval Britain really interests me and Professor Kaeuper is great. I've never taken any really awful classes. Even if students don't always want to participate, the teachers force them to, which is probably good. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class... I remember first going to Eastman and sitting on the sidelines of many conversations about books that I had never read. Eastman students also tend to talk a lot about playing, their rep, famous musicians, etc. Eastman students are definitely competitive because that's the nature of our art, but we all try to be nice about it. The most unique class I've taken has probably been either British History to 1485 or a class I took freshman year about Hamlet... we read a lot of other plays that were either like Hamlet, pre-cursors to Hamlet, sort of sequels to Hamlet (Like "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern" haha)... I'm a voice performance major, so um... we take lessons, choral ensembles, lyric theatre/opera workshop, diction and language classes, voice repertoire, and the other things that other music majors have to take like theory and history. The Take 5 program gives students an opportunity to apply for a free 5th year to study a specific topic unrelated to the student's major. My topic is "Shakespeare and his Contemporaries, Predecessors, and Successors." The Take 5 Administrator is an awesome guy and is very helpful when the student is creating his/her program. The education I'm getting at Eastman is definitely geared toward getting a job. As our Assistant Dean of Student Life once said to me, it's like a trade school. U of R, however, I feel is into learning for learning's sake -- of course I would say that; I'm in the Take Five program. haha.

Andy

somewhat, yes. however every student is not like that, but many are and should expand their social lives to gain great life experiences

all super smart and are always doing work.

Shawn

It's a really good school, particularly as a research institution. If you're looking for the opportunity to start research--particularly in any of the sciences or serious social sciences--as an undergrad, it's perfect. It's small enough that students get individual attention but big enough that we have a lot of resources. The meal plan kind of sucks, parking is a bitch, and obviously the school is overpriced. Those are the biggest things people complain about. Oh, and the weather. It gets super cold and cloudy for most of the year here, and Seasonal Affective Disorder is very much a real thing. It's awesome in the spring, though, when everyone is outside and excited to enjoy the weather. The social life is easy to find; almost all students live on campus. We've been a little low on housing the last few years so that might be changing, but it's pretty easy to connect with someone here without having to look too hard.

Yeah, UR has a nerdy feel, but it's more like the chill nerds from high school than the true overachievers. There is a whole range of students, and although we do have the nerds and the frat kids, we've also got a nice, though fairly small progressive community here.

We are all kind of nerdy; Rochester is the safety school for Ivy League wannabes. There are tons of math/science people who don't do anything but work and a big population of greek life people who don't do anything but party.

Jenna

I would say Rochester isn't a college town, yet there are plenty of colleges around. Personally, I would like to see more interaction between the Rochester area colleges since there are so many college students in one area that happen to never run into each other. The worst thing about U of R is the parking system, we have almost no parking and nowhere to go but up. We're trapped in by Mt. Hope Cemetery and the Genesee River yet for some reason parking garages have never been thought of. The lack of transportation is a horrible thing for U of R because many students never experience all that Rochester has to offer, and instead, think Marketplace is the only thing around. The curriculum at Rochester is great in its flexibility and worth looking into.

The kind of student that would feel out of place here is the student with a lower income and some minority students, but Rochester seems to have a very diverse student body to me. Most Rochester students are from somewhere in New York state or New England. I would say students are predominately moderate or liberal, but there is a conservative voice on campus. Many students talk about how much they'll be making one day and how much their starting salary will be upon graduation.

If you come to Rochester, get off campus! You'll get bored of events around campus after Freshmen year, but bring a car if you can, and go explore! There is a huge music scene in Rochester, from jazz to classical to punk, and many times you can find live music for free. Check out the Eastman Theater, Water St., and the Blue Cross Arena showings. Geva Theater is great for people interested in seeing great plays and the Little Theater shows only independent movies. The food in Rochester is amazing, especially if you're looking for ethnic food: for Thai, try The King and I, Mediterranean, Alexandria's, European: Cibon Cafe, and sushi, Dim Sum. There are also plenty of parks near Rochester and a lake that will provide a great weekend of hiking or just lounging around at the beach.

There are alot of pre-med students and alot of Biology majors, but you get your occasional Economics or Political Science major here and there. Although, the pre-med and engineering students have been known to look down upon any student who isn't majoring in science, because apparently, there is nothing else to learn. Rochester itself has completely unpredictable weather, but it's just part of the atmosphere. The winter does seem to last forever, but eventually fades.

Since I'm majoring in a smaller department at Rochester, professors know me by name and know my work, but the majority of students here would not be able to say the same thing. Many students are stuck in lecture classes and have more interaction with TAs that teach their labs or recitations than the actual professors. The work load is tough, but we're supposed to be smart students, so we should expect it. The graduation requirements do not include GenEds, which make many students happy and allows them to explore many fields.

There are so many clubs and organizations on campus, and more are forming every semester. I could not tell you which is the most popular. Athletics are not very popular at our school, or at least, few people go to games. There is a Greek scene on campus, but it isn't the only scene. There are also many fraternities and sororities that do not have on-campus housing so are less accessible to students. D'Day is the biggest tradition at UR, and it involves alot of drunk people. I'm not really sure what the original tradition was, but now, it's to wake up at seven in the morning and have a "power hour."

I think the most prevalent stereotype about U of R students is that we are all pre-med, and therefore, Biology majors. Rochester is well-known for having a winter that lasts for six months.

David

The University of Rochester is a very good school. The campus is nice, the size of the undergraduate population is at a nice level, and by and large, the classes are well designed and taught. There isn't really much to say about the administration - the presence of the administration is not really felt by the students. The area around the school has good and bad points. There is a new bus system which shuttles students around to shopping areas (such as supermarkets and malls) as well as the nearby neighborhoods, where many students live. However, the 19th Ward, right outside the school, is basically a ghetto, and can be dangerous, especially when students are alone after dark. The University Heath Services (UHS) is mediocre. Many students are misdiagnosed when they make visits, and especially when a student needs to go to the hospital for treatment and tests, many mistakes are made. Personally, I once needed a simple blood test done, and after answering many irelevant questions at the UHS office, I was sent to the hospital, where I sat through most of a physical examination before I talked to the doctor and cleared up the confusion. Finally, Residential Life Services (ResLife) leaves much to be desired. They do not really listen to the requests or questions of the students, and are intentially deceptive with information. The housing on campus, however, is solidly good.

There is a broad mix of students at U of R. Since the school is pretty good about finacial aid, and both the liberal arts and sciences are strong here, there isn't really any more of one type of person than other types. Rochester is a pretty apolitical campus, which may be seen as a downside to some, but people tend to enjoy not being constantly harassed about political issues.

Academics are done well at U of R. There are many sections of the common pre-requisite classes (such as Calc 161), which are expressed in a large classroom format, but most classes are small enough for students to actually be able to interact with the professors. U of R also has only one required class (a freshman writing seminar), and although taking a certain number of classes in various fields is necessary, U of R makes it easy to do, so even freshman can take classes in their major or classes that simply interest them.

There are many different student organizations on campus, and most students are involved in something. Sports aren't really all that big here, as we only have one Division One team (the squash team), but sporting events are relatively well attended. Regarding the party scene (which every prospective college student is curious about, but will never feel comfortable enough to openly ask about), there are occasional over/under bar parties during the week, and the Fraternity Quadrangle (Frat Quad) consistently has parties on Fridays and Saturdays. Unfortunatly, the fraternities on the Frat Quad tend to attract stereotypical frat boys, which is good if you're into that type of thing, I guess. There are also fraternities off campus, and the only one of these worth mentioning is Chi Phi, which not only has the best parties at Rochester, but also has the coolest brothers, who tend to not be assholes. Sororities are present on campus, and many girls join them, but they don't really ever throw parties or host events. They frequently have mixers with the fraternities, but if you are not a brother somewhere, you might not notice they exist.

I would not say that there is a strong stereotype of Rochester students - there is a pretty big variety of people here.

Josh

Rochester doesn't have much of a "college town" but rochester is a pretty cool city, especially with Dinosaur BBQ about a 10 min drive from campus, and all kinds of other great ethnic food around as well. The best thing about U of R is probably the academic program called "clusters." but i guess i'll talk about that in the academics section. The school is a decent size of about 3000 kids. You see some people a lot, but i meet a good amount of new people a year. The fact that i see the same people a lot may just be because of my small major. Past first or second year subjects the class sizes are manageable and you can generally get e-mail responses or set up meetings with professors easily. Generally there isn't much school pride, with people always talking about how the administration is screwing them this time or things such as that. The newest upset is the HORRIBLE meal plan that they introduced to try to fix the one that wasn't NEARLY as bad. Of course, we now have to pay more money to get more food when almost no one could possibly finish their meal plans before. Also, they keep raising the price of college every year, and you arent locked in to a certain rate that was agreed upon in freshman year. Also, a yearly tradition called D-Day, which was about the only fun thing that the administration would put on, is about to be shut down for good because they dont want to pay for good bands to come and play anymore. Thanks a lot. When i tell my friends things like this they always say that their college is so much nicer about this kinda stuff. Oh yea, and ResLife constantly screws you. The housing system wouldn't be so bad if they stopped admitting too many freshman (eager for their money) and and constantly asking us upperclassmen to please live off campus.

Basically, 30% of the kids who go to rochester are in frats or sororities. But you would never know it since most of the campuses parties are at Frat Quad, where in exchange for free beer you have to put up with the latest rap and pop music playing too loud to talk to anyone, darkness, and some generally horrible smells and sticky floors. Oh, and most people are assholes there. The sports teams are annoying as well. None of them are good at their sports, everyone is D1...or D3, i forget which is the bad one, save for squash who are apparently amazing. However, although they are bad at their sports and generally only got to the college because of their "skill" they aren't the brightest people. Yet they all think they are awesome. It's a lot like High School, cause frat guys and sports guys think that they are the popular kids. if you want a constant party kinda social life, you have to join a frat or a sports team not that there arent cool people, but i would say that most people fit into this stereotype.

The meal system is horrible. It always has been and it keeps getting worse and worse by he year. Administration keeps taking things away and yet keep charging us more per semester. There are only a few places to eat on campus, and even less if you are actually trying to stay healthy or watch your weight. Blimpie is aweful, with slow service and flavorless meats, but it is the only option in "The Pit" that isn't friend or covered in grease....and that only depends on your choices. There is also "Danforth" which is an all you can eat place where i find that the food is never that good, and because of that you aren't satisfied and want to get more food. There is custom stir fry there which is really good, but you generally have to wait in like for 20 min to get it, so you have to time it right. there is also "Dougless" which has a few good stations, pasta, "mexican food" a bbq place, a salad bar, a kosher deli, and a vegan place. I neither keep kosher and i am NOT a vegan, but i generally at at the kosher place and the vegan place, as they are most likely the healthiest. There used to be a place called "The Mel Express" which was AWESOME, but they shut that down without consulting anyone. there are a few other places to eat, cafe type places, but they mostly just do greasy food that i don't want a part of. As i said, the meal system is horrible. How it used to work is each year you were given a few options of a dining plan, in which it was almost impossible to finish them without CONSTANTLY overeating or wasting money (or club meals...which are too complicated for me to feel like explaining). That sucked, cause the meals were expnsie. Every year you were given cheaper and cheaper options, so by jr. year you could maybe finish your plan if you tried not to eat off campus...ever. Then they decided, screw that lets make it worse! So now it's connected to where you live, which really makes no sence. if you live on campus, you basically have to buy an over priced meal plan that will over feed you. As someone who eats two meals a day and never snacks.....this annoys me. If you want to eat three meals a day as well as have snacks, a shake, and maybe some coffee every day, and maybe more on weekends, then you could finish these. I cant. I was looking foward to not having to pay much for my meal plan too this year. If i could live my life over, and if rochester wasn't the only school with the cluster program, i would never go here.

Eh, depends on who you look at. It doesn't have the hottest campus ever, but there are good looking girls and not good looking girls. same goes for the guys probably.

The Cluster system is awesome. It's the main reason that I came to Rochester, and sort of the reason that I couldn't leave it. How is works is there are three sections of subects, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities.... i think that's how it's broken up. If your major is Natural Sciences (like if you were a chem major like me) you pick one subject from each of the other two and take three courses in them. As a chem major i got to take three creative writing classes (which were excellent) and I will complete my psych cluster soon, both things that i am very interested in. However, i tried to transfer once and because no other school has this system, i more of less would have been back to square one if i left. Oh, you also have to take a writing class, but there are a million subjects that these are on, i took one on Punk Rock, which is also something i'm interested in. Along with an generally excellent Chem Faculty (and most people in other subjects have been great as well) this is an excellent school for academics.

There are a fair amount of clubs, and I've never tried it but it seems to be relatively easy to form one if you want to. I have done URTV in the past, which is the campus tv station, and that was a lot of fun. There is also a radio station some friends of mine are on, as well as lots of other stuff. Every friday and saturday night there are movies shown in one of the big lecture halls, they are generally pretty good movies, and it's only 2 bucks for a ticket, or you can get a season pass for less than that per movie. Every spring they show the spring porno, where thats exactly what it sounds like. Freshman year it was Pirates XXX and that was hilarious. Athletic events arent that well attended, save for athletes friends generally.

The girls are ugly, and apparently the guys are too.

Cristina

Rochester is a great place both the city and the school. I love how as soon as it gets warm outside the students are immediately on the quad throwing frisbees and soaking in the sun. Probably because we don't get a lot of that during the school year. It is a very chilax atmosphere. This school is the perfect size for me. I call it a big small school. By that I mean it has a big feel yet at the same time there is a personableness that I absolutely love. If I could change something it would be the food and the tuition. Tuition just went up and I already got screwed over by financial aid. That probably was a big controversy this year among the students. Now about the food, unfortunately it is terrible! But you can live in glc somphmore year with a kitchen and then you can cook for yourself rather than put up with the food. Another negative is the school feels like camp sometimes and I feel like I really don't know what is going on in the real world . It is a closed campus and the buses here take you to the mall so you have to make an effort to see the city yourself. It is not like Penn State where the town is right there.

I find the majority of the kids come from middle class backgrounds. All of us depend on financial aid some people more than others but there is a social setting appropriate for all different backgrounds. There are a lot of kids from different countries and there are some who are from NY. Actually a lot from NY and Jersey and Pennsylvania. The students come from all different walks of life in terms of political views there are clubs for democrats and republicans but they are not really active on campus maybe for elections but that's all I have ever heard from them. The kids here live for the now with awareness of the future which I think is the best way to live.

I love this school. No school is perfect and I honestly found out about the University of Rochester through one of those mail flyers they send to you. If you want to meet great people and earn a great education and eat horrible food (not all of it is bad, just a lot of it is unhealthy..aka freshman 15) and watch movies on the weekends then you'll be at the right place believe me!!!

Absolutely not! One of the reasons I came here was because the people were so down to earth and welcoming and they honestly cared about the person coming to the school rather than the grades. When I visited other schools, they were so stuck up and boring. Rochester was unique because it was totally the opposite. In terms of weather that is true but there are tunnels so it really isn't too bad.

The academics here are great. One of the reasons I chose this school was because I felt like it was so well rounded that if I decided to change my major I would still be receiving an excellent education. The classes here are small in comparison to other Universitys. The professors really care about the students and want you to succeed in their classes. They are definitely not out to get you. I feel like everyone at Rochester is intelligent and because of that there really is no competition. If I tried my hardest and did the best I could that is all that matters and the same goes for everyone else. So far my favorite class has been the History of Rock and Roll Class with John Covach he is amazing. He was a hippie in his early years but doesn't openly admit it. The great thing about this school is there are no General Education class requirements so you can basically take whatever you want. I can explore my options rather than getting stuck and not knowing my possibilites. They really want you to become the best person you can be. It not all about the job but about the education you receive and the experiences. For example they really encourage going abroad which I plan on doing and you get credit for it.

There are a lot of different clubs. Although this is cliché there really is something for everyone. I am on the Ultimate Frisbee Club and I absolutely love it. The people are so chill. Spring is our season and for spring break we went down to Georgia and played teams from all over the US. It was one of the most exihilerating experiences of my life. Well due to fire safety laws we can't leave our doors propped open because it is technically a fire hazard but if that law didn't exist people would probably have their doors open a lot more and people still do it is just not encouraged. They have planned some really cool acts to come and visit us on campus from musicians to comedians they really want to set a fun environment for the students. I guess Gym Class Heroes came one year. One of the biggest traditions on this campus is D-day. It stands for Dandelion day but it is basically a day where everyone on the campus gets totally smashed and stays that way for the entire day. Pledging is a big deal but at the same time it isn't. Like it is a great experience for those who do but you won't be left out if you don't. Pledging is probably the minority in terms of the entire student body but they are still incredibly active on campus and a lot them are really cool people especially Phi Sigma Sigma. On Friday and Saturday nights, they show up and coming popular movies on campus in one of the lecture halls on this big screen for only two dollars. They showed Across the Universe and also Pulp Fiction and the student body gets to vote on what movies they want to show during the semester its a really great time and they also sell refreshments there to help to set the mood of a movie theater.

I really never heard of the University of Rochester but I know it is a very elite school so there may be some stereotypes about the people being uptight, aloof, and snobish. It is really cold here in the winter.

Alex

The people are really the best part of my time here. With such a dreary, long winter you have to have close friends to make you smile. It seems like just the right size, considering I came from a high school with more students than here. It was impossible to get to know anyone very well, which is not a problem here. As a "New Ivy" school, Rochester is certainly gaining the recognition it deserves. The students love to have fun, but know when to buckle down to keep the grades up. There is really no school pride whatsoever. Our athletics are a joke, although basketball saw some excitement this year coming in first or second in our division.

Most students come from financially stable backgrounds from the Northeast, namely upstate New York and the tri-state area. While student diversity is stressed by administration, if you tuck yourself into the right pocket you may never know that was true. There are really no extreme, outlandish disagreements between students. I myself for example have both arms, my sides and back covered entirely with tattoos and consider myself more than generously accepted at this fairly conservative University. Either way, the students are great.

Administration seems to be trying to take the fun away from people as of late. Recently our end of year festival called "D-Day" was canceled due to a incidents in the past. Greek organizations are also receiving unfair, biased treatment, again based on past offenses that are no longer an issue.

To a certain extent every stereotype is based in some accuracy. From my own experience the only way to gain the glorified "college experience" at the University of Rochester is to get involved in Greek life. Due to the comparatively lower numbers in attendance here, each group is extremely tight knit and open to new people. This is true despite the cliques that form in any social situation. As far as the city itself is concerned, it is pretty dead. It is considered a ghost town due to the largest industries such as Eastman Kodak and Xerox moving on or losing business. The only places worthy of a visit are the night clubs and local restaurants (Dog Town!!). There are frequent reports of muggings and strong-arm robberies, but I still feel safe enough to jog off campus with a friend.

The biggest departments are in the sciences, which has its pros and cons. You never get to know the professors, but you have literally hundreds of student resources if you are having trouble or need a study partner. With that said, some of the departments are certainly lacking as far as variety or funding is concerned. Study Abroad is a must, as the University makes it easy to fit into really any schedule. The cluster system here has replaced a set of core requirements but makes it hard for transfer students, because all that credit must be taken at Rochester. Regardless of the department the classes will be challenging. Students aren't cut-throat, but rather dedicated to their own work. I have never met someone unwilling to help someone else out.

Greek life is a must for a lot of people. Those who don't choose it manage fine of course, but I would wager more than 50% of sponsored fund raisers, drives and community service are rendered through the Fraternities and Sororities. I wouldn't say an unusually amount of drinking goes on, but other drugs or substances tend to be absent from the majority or parties throughout campus. Comedians, acapella groups, speakers and performance groups are all a blast to go to.

Rochester is perceived as crime-ridden and filthy. The students are considered either a workaholic who does nothing but study, or a slacking drunk involved in Greek life.

Yell O. Jacket

The best thing about Rochester -- besides having fantastic professors, friendly students, and a beautiful campus -- is that we really don't have any class requirements besides what is required by our major. In other colleges, you have to take "General Education" classes. At UR, you will never have to take another year of Math or Spanish if you don't want to and as long as it's not part of your major. Everyone thinks that the school is small, and it's certainly not LARGE, but it is a good size. You get a very personal education because of the size, but there are still tons of people to meet/become friends with. The city gets a bad rep as being really boring, but there are tons of city events that the college exposes you to. I get cheap student rate tickets right on campus for concerts, musicals, comedy shows, art shows, etc. Rochester has a super reputation among people in New York state at least. People confuse us with RIT a lot, but we're really the better school. It's considered the "new Ivy league" by a lot of reliable sources. It depends where you are if you're out of state, but anyone who knows of us is like, "WOW, you must be really smart," if you tell them you go to UR. I spend most of my time on campus in the dorm, at Starbucks, in class, etc. I practically live in Robbins Library (medieval studies library) because Undergraduate Medieval Society puts together so many cool events. I have no big opinion on the administration. They seem to be involved enough, but I'm really not involved with campus politics enough to know. My experience with them has always been positive. There is tons of school pride here. I think that everyone, even the people that decide to transfer, really love this school. We're just really happy here, and the only reason I've heard for transfer is that their academic interests changed or the tuition was too expensive. UR has a lot of history behind it. I think that we were the first college to admit women. Susan B. Anthony helped us out with that one :) I do mean that literally. We even have a dorm named after her. The biggest recent controversy on campus would have to be the anticipated change of meal plan options. That's also the most complained about thing (but mostly the upper classmen who sort of get ripped off by it).

I don't really think that anyone would feel out of place at UR. There is a lot of diversity in race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, etc. on campus. Plus, there's a group for almost every single culture/lifestyle choice. You wouldn't believe the number of people who come here from different countries. I think that there are more people from China and Peru here than there are from Rochester. I think the only people who would not be comfortable here would be someone who has issues with being with people from a lot of different backgrounds. As a few examples, the school is about 20% Jewish, we have a club for people of Latino background called Salsa (they just had an awesome party), and I know like a gazillion people who are active in the club for people who are LGBTTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, transsexual, or questioning). It's really a very diverse and accepting community. Most students wear warm things to class. I'm not going to lie, it's cold here, but people from Hawaii have been known to get used to it, so you can, too. Jeans and hoodies are the norm, but trendiness depends on the person I guess. Different types of students really mesh here. I once went out to dinner with some friends and my family, and I said to my friends that the waiter would probably mistake us for sisters. Yeah, we're all different races, but I forgot. We're pretty heavily liberal up here, but there's a Republican group, too. One of my favorite people is the president of the college Republican club.

We're not RIT. We're "new ivy." Lol.

EVERY SINGLE PROFESSOR I'VE HAD KNOW MY NAME! That is something that you will not get everywhere. Also, every class I've ever taken, even the "huge" intro classes have had under 100 people in them. Most of them are much smaller. I've taken two classes with under 10 people, and most are in the 30-50 range. Class participation is very common. Some people talk more than others, of course, but most people are really psyched about their classes if they've chosen the right ones -- there is a very lenient drop/add policy. Students like to get good grades, but we are by no means competitive with each other. That is a REALLY good thing. I've heard about people in other schools sabotaging each other just to get out on top. Here we do a lot of collaborative work, and there is none of that super competitive BS because almost everyone has different academic interest because of the school's academic variety. I spend some serious time with my professors outside of class. Being in academic councils/societies does that to people, but I talk to them outside of class all the time. Just today there was an English department eat and greet, and I talked for like 10 minutes to a professor that I had last semester and haven't seen since. They're really interested in how our lives are going, and we're really interested in theirs. The academic requirements, as I said earlier, are the best thing about this place because there are none. It gives you complete control over what YOU want to take, and that is awesome. The only thing that you need to do is the stuff that is required by your major and take one semester of a writing class. By the way, you can pass out of the writing class, but they have so many different writing class options anyway that you can almost certainly find one that you would be interested in. I'm taking a class on Robin Hood and James Bond (awesomeness much?).

The Midnight Ramblers are GODS! (If one of the Ramblers reads this, I'm interested. Call me). Anywho, they are a fantastic all male a capella group. I know that sounds really lame, but they are so often better than the artists that actually sing the songs that they sing that it's incredible. Plus, they are so cute. They got second place (I think) for best college a capella group in the nation a couple of years ago. Also, the Banghra team (Indian dance team) is incredible. You will learn to love Bollywood music if you don't already. I'm involved with Undergraduate English Council and Undergraduate Medieval Society. They are really awesome and fun organizations. I'm really involved in both, but I guess I'll talk about Medieval Society. Basically we're a bunch of people who really like medieval history, literature, mythology, and even modern medievalism (Yeah Monty Python! Yeah Men in Tights!). Anywho, we get professors at the school and out of the school (starting next year) to talk to us about their Medieval research. We just had a grad student talk about medievalism in modern video gaming. It was awesome. Students here usually leave their doors open. It depends on the person obviously, but some halls have open door policies where it's pretty much agreed (unofficially) that if you're in, you're door is at least cracked open for easy friend visiting access. Athletic events are not so big here, but we have kick ass male and female basketball teams here that everyone gets really psyched about. Guest speakers are likewise awesome. We had Colin Powell at the beginning of the school year and had Bill Nye the science guy just recently. We can get some really cheap theater tickets through the school. Dating is easy here for both sexes. My roommate got a boyfriend during orientation and has kept him ever since. My longterm (from home but who is also here) boyfriend and I had a breakup a couple months ago, and ever since I've been hit on like crazy. I'm not interested right now, but it's really cool for me (an average looking person) to have so many people interested (and all really nice guys, too). My closest friends are from my hall/classes, but mostly we bond over food. That's how friends are made for life, bonding over food. Fraternities and sororities her exist, have a following, feel the closeness, etc., but they are not the little cliquey thingies that you see in bad Lifetime movies. They're tight, but they're not the sole determinant of a fun time at college. Most people aren't in frats and sororities, but that doesn't mean that we can hang out with the people who are. Drinking is totally not necessary to have fun on this campus (I don't personally), but if that's your scene, there are enough people who do. It's not a party school in that the partiers don't disturb the non-partiers, but for the party-girls/party-boys there are plenty enough of them that you won't be disappointed. PS It's completely possible to go to a frat party and not require a social lubricant by the by. I don't have a problem with the people who drink, but I just wanted to let you guys know that partying anywhere can be done without drinking (self-tested experiment).

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.