Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

Cassandra

I'd want smaller class sizes. If you're a science major, it's hard to get to know the faculty. Lectures are sometimes hard to learn from. Other than that I love the size. You can always say hi to people as you walk to class but never feel like you don't have any personal space. Most of college life is spent on campus. I rarely go into the city of Rochester (besides bar parties) although I hear there are many good places to eat and check out. I wish there were more school pride, specifically with sporting events. Not many people go to the sports events.

Make sure to take climate into consideration when looking for a school! I'm from New York and love snow so I didn't think it would bother me in Rochester. It's not the snow you have to worry about, it's all the cloudy days and rain/mist. It takes a toll on your mood!

Although there are definitely some nerdy people here, I find the students here to be real. Instead of people made up of material things and lots of makeup, they are just real people interested in real things. Some people refer to that as unattractive, I find it refreshing.

I only have a few professors that know my name and these are classes in the humanities. If you are a science major, classes are always big and you have to take the initiative to talk to the profs. Classes will consist of you sitting in a lecture and taking notes.

Most (all) parties are thrown by fraternities or sororities. Unless you have a close group of friends or know tons of people on campus, it's hard to find parties outside of greek life, they can get old fast. But then again, you can always count on them to show you a thurs/fri/sat night filled with alcohol!

Students are unattractive and nerdy.

Chris

Although most people from my hometown are still convinced that i go to RIT because they do not know that the U of R exists. Luckily for me, I found the U of R when I was applying to colleges. I am having the time of my life! The small size is just right to get to know people and to have reasonable class sizes. I think that The people at Rochester are nice and create a community that is not experianced on every college campus. I think that the facility is very encouraging and they really are interested in their students learning. One of my favorite experiances so far at Rochester was during orientation, not because of the numerous and boring speaches and manditory events, but because of all the people i met. Everyone introduces themselves and seems truly interested in getting to know you. This is also the week that i met my 5 best friends and i will never forget it.

I think the student body is very active and very accpeting . There are groups focusing on stopping racism, stopping violence, stopping sexual harrassment etc and the students are very open and accepting. There is a large population from the rochester area and a large population from the east coast area.

I think this stereotype might actually be true because everyone is so focused on their studies that Gleason is always packed, even on a Friday night. While i think this stereotype is true, i really do not think is a bad thing. i think it makes Rochester unique.

Professors of small classes know my name, but as a pre-med most of my classes have over 150 students so proffesors do not know my name. My favorite class currently is my CAS class because i get to discuss my opinion of shakespear's classic Twlfth night. My least favorite class is my biology class because I feel that the class is taught in an unexciting way and seems to be taught under our level of understanding. Students at Rochester are very focused on their grades but so not seem to be competative with others. I also think the requirements at rochester are amazing because they allow for people like me to double major while being able to enjoy the other social aspects of college.

The only real stereotype that i have heard is that Rochester students are a little bit nerdy.

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.