Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

Shelby

I mentioned before that I though we were laid back. There are activities on and off campus, groups etc. but for the most part we just are, and this is probably a function of being indoors for much of the school year--it causes us to rarely do any campus wide activities.

to be brief, the classes are above average. Class is class, but lectures on the whole are interesting and pertinent. Most if not all my professors know who I am, and are willing to meet with me whenever I need to.

To be honest I'm not really sure. I'd say we are pretty laid back though

Jesse

I love UR, but it's probably not for everyone. Coming from a very small high school, I did not want to go to an enormous university. To me, Rochester felt big when I first got there and didn't know anyone, but now by junior year I rarely go somewhere without seeing someone I know. And yet it's not so small that everyone gossips about everyone and you never meet new people. For me, it's just right! People in the Rochester area seem to have an inflated view of UR, and often react with "wow so you're really smart" when you say you go here. People from the rest of the world often haven't heard of it. There is currently no "college town" and most people hang out on campus, but they're trying to create a college town across the Genesee, so that will be really cool if it actually happens. School pride is not the kind where everyone shows up at football games (no one does really) but that's not to say people don't have any. (Guys) basketball games tend to get a better turn out (maybe because they're inside, maybe because the team has been really good recently). And people were school logo ALL the time.

Rochester is not the most diverse campus, but that's not to say there's no minorities. The different minority groups do tend to hang out in their own groups so there's not a ton of inter-racial mixing, but there's definitely not an attitude of racism or anything like that. In terms of socio-economic status, there is very little awareness. I have friends who are very very rich, and friends who are from working-class families, and no one seems to care at all. I was surprised when I got here how little political activism there is here. Like most schools there is a very vocal left-wing, but they rarely do more than talk, and there is definitely a conservative population as well, and plenty of people are friends with people of differing political viewpoints. People generally wear jeans on campus, and sweatpants are common as well. In winter UGG boots are everywhere (ick) but they are convenient in the snow and salt, if ugly. Students here are not especially fashionable.

I love Rochester because students are, in general, pretty smart, but no one brags about it or acts competitive at all. Thats definitely a benefit over big-name schools like the Ivy's, people want to do well, but not at the expense of their friends. Honestly, I think I've participated in less than 5 "intellectual" discussions in my time here. I distinctly remember the first one, the spring of freshman year a bunch of us ended up talking about philosophy and religion for many hours into the night, and were then really excited that we had finally done something so "collegey." There are TONS of freshmen who are pre-med bio majors (pre-med is not a major of its own). By junior year, there are significantly fewer. The stereotypical progression is pre-med to econ to psych. I know several people who have made exactly those changes in their major. With all the people who think they want to do bio at the beginning, the intro bio and chem classes are pretty big. Of course, most all of the science classes I have taken thus far have workshops as well, so in addition to 3 lectures a week you have a 2 hour timeslot where you meet in small groups with an undergrad TA and generally do problems. Now all the science professors love these and constantly tell us how educational research shows how great they are, and it's true you often do learn a lot more in workshop than lecture, but they are usually in the evening and kind of painful to go to. College literature often emphasizes small class size and not having students as TAs, but it's really kind of nice to have someone not so intimidating you can ask questions and complain about the professor to in workshop. It's also a really good job/resume booster for people who did well in the class. If you get a 4 or a 5 on the AP biology test you can take an alternative freshman biology sequence, which I did and although the first semester is fairly difficult it was very interesting. The professor, Dr. Platt learned everyone's names within a few weeks (over 100 people). I had him again for biochemistry and he again, new the 250+ students' names. I got a job working as a dishwasher at the beginning of freshman year, which was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I have continued working there, moving my way up to doing research, and I adore the professor and everyone else at the lab. There is an annual lab holiday party at the professor's house, and I've gone out to lunch, the movies, and a bar with them on various occasions. I have not done this with any of my other professors, although I think people who are TAs for professors get to know them pretty well too. The school likes to brag that the only required class is the writing requirement, CAS 105, which is true. That was probably one of my least favorite classes ever, but I know some people who have taken fun ones too. Basically it depends on the professor and topic, because there are a lot to choose from. Prepare yourself for lots of BS writing assignments in that though. The whole cluster system for a liberal arts education is actually really cool. The college is divided into 3 groups: social sciences, natural sciences, and humanities. To graduate, you have to have a major, a minor, or a cluster in each of those groups. A cluster just consists of 3 somewhat related classes. I started a cluster in linguistics, which I knew nothing about, and now I'm minoring in that. Out of all the classes available in those groups, usually people can find three that interest them.

The vast majority of my close friends lived on my freshman hall. Actually they lived on the floor above me, which I basically adopted as my own. I think a lot of people remain friends with their freshman neighbors, although you also make friends in classes and activities and at parties. Freshman year the frat quad is the place to be Thursday-Saturday nights. That being said, I think I have been to the frat quad less than 10 times in 3 years. There are plenty of things to do and people to hang out with if you're not into the drunken party scene. You just have to look a little harder. After freshman year people tend to have suite-parties more and it gets a little weird to go to the frat quad all the time if you're not friends with the brothers. The school has $2 movies playing in an auditorium Friday and Saturday nights throughout the year which are sometimes really popular. There are usually a couple big concerts each year, and often you can find people singing and playing guitar in the coffee shops on weekend nights. I think the biggest off-campus activity for a lot of people is restaurants, although there are a lot of bar-parties as well, where groups rent out a bar on a weeknight and they run shuttle buses. Generally though, we tend to stay on campus. In the fall Meliora weekend is alumni weekend, homecoming weekend, and parents weekend all in one. There are tons of performances and speakers and activities and it's a little overwhelming but pretty cool. There's also Yellowjacket weekend which is one of the first weekends in the fall, right at the end of orientation, and there are carnival rides and games and fried dough and they give out free school spirit t-shirts which are very popular. In spring there's the infamous D-Day (D stands for either dandelion or drunk, depending on who you talk to). There used to be carnival rides and a concert and stuff, but the school is really cracking down so there are no rides anymore, and there are rumors of getting rid of it all together. The main focus of the day for most students is drinking, starting from early in the morning and going all day long. The school getting rid of things is not going to cut down on the drinking, although it does make it less fun for those of us who are not.

overachievers, not very attractive (especially girls)

Robin

the dining plan sucks... the size is perfect if you're looking for a place where u can go anywhere and at least recognize someone if not know someone .. you really need a car to get off campus, but you don't really need to get off campus...and i guess the cool "rochester" things to do are all accessible by bus... school spirit is building, but not completely there yet..

while we do have a large part of the student body who pays a great deal to their studies, we still have fun, and if you want a party, you can always find one

The poli sci dept. is great! It had a lot of opportunities for students to get really cool internships, like at the EU or in Congress.

dorky.. don't go out on weekends... ugly (so not true!) ... all pre-med...

Pat

University of Rochester is a bubble in a community that is separated from the actual city. It seems closed off. I hate the parking at U of R. There is too retail estate available for such a growing school. I like the overall size and environment on campus. Rochester is too oriented on diversity on campus and it tends to take away from academics at times. I think that Rochester has a good social atmosphere where I have the option to stay on campus on weekends, or the ability to see the Rochester night life at any time.

I think that there are a lot of rich kids who are not experienced to a lot of things. I think that Rochester athletics are not given the credit they deserve most of the time.

Stereotypes are that Rochester students are all rich kids, pampered, and that they're athletic programs tend to be overall average.

Jesse

i think that our school has very little pride, especially when it comes to athletics. i find that the major support for athletes comes from other athletes and not the average rochester student. Sporting events have minimal attendance and there is not really any advertising for those events. Just because kids have Rochester sweatshirts or tee shirts doesn't mean there is school pride and spirit.

Most students wear sweatshirts and jeans to class. Occasionally someone will be dressed in a polo shirt but most students just dress "comfortably".

When I was first told about Rochester all the tour guides talked about was how the class sizes were so small and the professors were very personable. I have personally only had 1 class that was under 20 students. The rest of my classes are all large lecture halls with 200 plus students.

If you don't want to drink on a Saturday night you can go watch one of the movies on campus that only costs a few dollars.

Nerdy, not athletic, not social

Charlie

Absolutely- but there are 5000 people here. There are PLENTY that don't fit into the stereotypes.

Rochester tricks you into thinking you don't have to have any kind of structure to your academics- but you do. And it's a good thing, otherwise I probably would still be taking 4 different courses in 4 different departments each semester. The loose structure allows you to pick your requirements, fulfilling studies in humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. Aside from that, you're going to be hard pressed to find a really superior education to the one you get at UR, from the professors to the courses themselves.

I think there is a terrible misconception about Rochester students being locked up in the library all the time. I've been to the library 4 times this year (it's April) and I'm still on Dean's List. Granted I get effective studying done in my room. There are plenty of people that like to have a good time on the weekends. My complaint with social life is there are no fun traditions, aside from D-Day and Meliora Weekend, at the school. Come on, I thought every school had some kind of streaking tradition.

Bookworms, don't have fun, snobs, wannabe Ivy Leaguers.

Harper

The best part about UR is the campus and the academics (later.) Other than a few months in the winter, the campus is absolutely beautiful and because the good weather is so scarce, when it is here everyone is outside either studying or throwing a football around or just hanging out and its a great dynamic. Obviously if I could change something it would be a shorter winter season. The campus size is perfect; about 15 minute walk from end to end. The student body could be a little bigger, but it's still ok. There still hasn't been a day where I walked around campus and recognized most of the people that I saw, which I think is very important coming from a high school class of 100. There are two distinct reactions when I tell people I'm at Rochester and the difference stems only from whether or not the person has heard of Rochester before. Those who have know what the school is about and respect it. Those who don't either think it is a state school or some terrible academic school that's in the middle of nowhere. Although some might not call this a college town I think I would and here is why: there are hundreds of quality restaurants within a short driving distance of campus as well as an area where there are about 15-20 bars/clubs where you can go on the weekends. Also, there are many other schools around here (St. John Fisher, MCC, Keuka, SUNY Brockport...) so interaction is not just limited to UR students. I don't have a strong opinion on the administration as I haven't had much contact with them, but there aren't many large events on campus that they have to deal with so their job is pretty hard to screw up. There is not much school pride and that is because there are many people who do have a problem with our horrible weather, or our large proportion of "nerdy" students or the fact that with the exception of a select few, our sports teams aren't very good.

I think the socio-economic backgrounds of the students are very diverse. As far as racial and ethnic backgrounds, it is a bit less diverse. There are still many international students here but the majority of the students come from the northern NY area. Socially, there is quite a barrier between the less social studious types and the students that go out on the weekends to bars and frats. I think the person who would stand out at UR would be the goth, extreme type. Although there are "nerdy" kids here, they aren't very outgoing or rebellious. Four tables at the dining hall look like this: the first is the football team, they just got back from practice, are very loud and arrogant. The second table is a sorority, they aren't quite as loud but every once in a while will do something weird like clap in harmony or laugh really loud and everyone will turn and look. The third table are the less social, good students and they keep to themselves and every once in a while you will hear a glimpse of their conversation and it revolves around World of Warcraft. The fourth table is a mix of the first three tables and consists of a few boys, a few girls and they will talk about recent news around campus and around the world and sports news and what is going on this coming weekend and how wasted they got last weekend.

I'd say 80% of the students that go here applied to some Ivy-League schools. People think that going to an Ivy-League school is everything but I personally know many students that live in Rochester that chose an Ivy instead and they are absolutely miserable. College is the time of life when a young man/woman shapes into the person they will become for the rest of their life and if you are going to spend those four years absolutely miserable, it will have an enormous impact on your life. Even the people that transfer have wasted a year or two of college that they will never get back. If you tell yourself you will deal with it for 4 years and it is worth the Ivy-League name, you are wrong. No one can last 4 years of being very unhappy and I'm not saying that is why you should come to Rochester but this is a perfect example of a school that has many Ivy-League rejects and some are so thankful that they didn't get in because they see their friends at some schools and realize what a mistake it would have been. Choose a school you will be happy at.

They are somewhat true. Rochester excels in science, but I don't think its fair to say this this is a "science school" which is something that I've heard people say in the past. I know many students who major in science but I know more that don't. Yes we are an "Ivy-League reject" school, but that is a little bit misunderstood. It is not the case that most the students here applied to most the Ivy's, got into none and then came here because it was their backup. Rather, high school student in Northern New York know about UR. That makes for a very large number of smart students that can come to UR for free if they wanted. I have seen many cases where students only applied to two school: Harvard and Rochester. We all know that Harvard has to reject "perfect candidates" (perfect SAT, 4.0 GPA, many extracurriculars) and in that case they end up here at UR and the result is an incredibly intelligent student body.

I still get surprised when my professor makes such an effort to learn the names of every student in the class. There are exceptions to this of course (classes of over 100 students) but I had a few teachers that remembered the names of 70 students in the class. This is a school where people go to class, even if there is a crazy party the night before so needless to say there are close relationship with the teachers here. Students study alotttt. This was quite intimidating when I first got here because it is so competitive. With the exception of some easy classes, most grades are on a curve and therefore you are competing with your classmates and when most students study 15-30 hours a week, it is intimidating. However, this is not a school where students try to succeed by stepping on someone else's back (a friend of mine got their textbook stolen at another University of the week of finals just so they wouldn't do well on the final exam.) Every class offers support from TA's and from the professors (office hours) and I found that in most classes the students come together to form large study sessions which can be very beneficial. I am a double major in Math and Economics. It is very common for people to choose that double major so I ended up taking many of the same classes with the same people. That is even more true with other majors that have less flexibility such as Engineering where there is a strict class schedule and so you are likely to take almost all your classes with the same people throughout your four years. Economics and Math are both very flexible not only in terms of what classes to take, but when to take them and so you are rarely faced with a situation where you have to take a class that you absolutely don't want to and that brings me to my next point. The lack of academic requirements are my favorite part of the academic life here. Some people choose a liberal arts education for a reason but if you choose to go to a non-liberal arts school I feel that you shouldn't have a liberal arts-like education and that is what rochester does. Outside of your major, there are almost no requirements and that leaves students with the ability to choose what they want to learn and for those that have only one major, that leaves them with plenty of room to explore the curriculum and study some interesting things they've always wanted to learn.

Some of the more known organizations are the A Capella groups, the dance groups, the sports teams. There are many speakers that come to campus that include famous entrepreneurs (Russell Simmons,) comedians (Drew Carey, Curb Your Enthusiasm cast, Sarah Silverman, Lewis Black,) and politicians (Colin Powell.) Those events are quite popular and I think are a great addition to the life here. The freshman dorms are very social and that is how most people meet their first friends or girlfriends and this makes it pretty easy to find a group of friends you like when you first get here because of the diverse selection of cliques. If I'm up at 2am on a tuesday, I am studying. That is something that is still disappointing here because I was somewhat of a trouble maker in high school and there simply isn't anything going on late at night here because everyone is so studious. Every year there are many very highly advertised events such as listed above and there is an event called Dandelion Day which is in the spring and the school brings in a big name band and many different activities around campus and its a fun day before finals start where everyone gets to have a good time. Partying is up to the student but most weeks there are 4 days a week where you can go and have a good time, two of those being during the week at bar parties that are sponsored by sororities or other groups. If you aren't on a sports team I think that fraternities and sororities are pretty important. About 25% of the school pledges but keep in mind that about half the school never goes out so that leaves you with half the people that go out are in some kind of frat/sorority. You don't have to live in the frat house and it gives you the chance to participate in the mixers (parties between a fraternity and a sorority that is closed to the public) and its a good way to socialize. Every Saturday night there will be an activity on campus that doesn't involve drinking. Last weekend it was a dance party hosted by a famous DJ that the university brought in and next weekend it is a concert by one of the musical groups.

UR is a first and foremost a science school. We attract all the science geeks that were the last people rejected from the Ivy-League schools. We also have a spillover of the "weird" Eastman students. These are of course from the people who have actually heard of UR.

Some students wear pajamas to class, especially if it's a morning class. Others wear T-shirts and jeans. There are also some students who always look very put-together. Everyone goes for comfort though in the winter months- boots and sweatshirts!

Many students get off campus when they can. They explore the city's restaurants and shops, and many volunteer and intern in locations outside of campus. The college also offers students plenty of opportunities to explore the city through its bus and transportation system.

What I love about Rochester is that students can work in a collaborative environment. It is not cutthroat and students do not try to sabotage or manipulate each other when it comes to grades or classes. Students are constantly studying together or helping each other out with assignments and research. We all mutually support each other and want to see each other succeed. I find myself learning even more by working with others than working individually.

One of the coolest traditions that Rochester has to offer is the Boar's Head Dinner in November or December. It has been going on for over 70 years at the College and students join faculty and friends in a medieval feast with wonderful food and singing. All the student and faculty participant get dressed up in medieval costumes too. When I went to the dinner this year, one of the religion professors even got up and sang a rap song! Definitely a good time!

Some people think that Rochester students are disconnected from the actual community and city of Rochester. They tend to believe that we are isolated in our own little college world and don't care to venture outside to the city.

Cassandra

I'd want smaller class sizes. If you're a science major, it's hard to get to know the faculty. Lectures are sometimes hard to learn from. Other than that I love the size. You can always say hi to people as you walk to class but never feel like you don't have any personal space. Most of college life is spent on campus. I rarely go into the city of Rochester (besides bar parties) although I hear there are many good places to eat and check out. I wish there were more school pride, specifically with sporting events. Not many people go to the sports events.

Make sure to take climate into consideration when looking for a school! I'm from New York and love snow so I didn't think it would bother me in Rochester. It's not the snow you have to worry about, it's all the cloudy days and rain/mist. It takes a toll on your mood!

Although there are definitely some nerdy people here, I find the students here to be real. Instead of people made up of material things and lots of makeup, they are just real people interested in real things. Some people refer to that as unattractive, I find it refreshing.

I only have a few professors that know my name and these are classes in the humanities. If you are a science major, classes are always big and you have to take the initiative to talk to the profs. Classes will consist of you sitting in a lecture and taking notes.

Most (all) parties are thrown by fraternities or sororities. Unless you have a close group of friends or know tons of people on campus, it's hard to find parties outside of greek life, they can get old fast. But then again, you can always count on them to show you a thurs/fri/sat night filled with alcohol!

Students are unattractive and nerdy.

Chris

Although most people from my hometown are still convinced that i go to RIT because they do not know that the U of R exists. Luckily for me, I found the U of R when I was applying to colleges. I am having the time of my life! The small size is just right to get to know people and to have reasonable class sizes. I think that The people at Rochester are nice and create a community that is not experianced on every college campus. I think that the facility is very encouraging and they really are interested in their students learning. One of my favorite experiances so far at Rochester was during orientation, not because of the numerous and boring speaches and manditory events, but because of all the people i met. Everyone introduces themselves and seems truly interested in getting to know you. This is also the week that i met my 5 best friends and i will never forget it.

I think the student body is very active and very accpeting . There are groups focusing on stopping racism, stopping violence, stopping sexual harrassment etc and the students are very open and accepting. There is a large population from the rochester area and a large population from the east coast area.

I think this stereotype might actually be true because everyone is so focused on their studies that Gleason is always packed, even on a Friday night. While i think this stereotype is true, i really do not think is a bad thing. i think it makes Rochester unique.

Professors of small classes know my name, but as a pre-med most of my classes have over 150 students so proffesors do not know my name. My favorite class currently is my CAS class because i get to discuss my opinion of shakespear's classic Twlfth night. My least favorite class is my biology class because I feel that the class is taught in an unexciting way and seems to be taught under our level of understanding. Students at Rochester are very focused on their grades but so not seem to be competative with others. I also think the requirements at rochester are amazing because they allow for people like me to double major while being able to enjoy the other social aspects of college.

The only real stereotype that i have heard is that Rochester students are a little bit nerdy.

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.