Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

Giovanna

Meliora! Live by the motto of being ever better.

Meliora! Live by the motto of being ever better.

My classmates are driven, intelligent, ambitious, helpful and creative thinkers who wil shape the world.

Dear 17 year-old me, A year has gone by…since I was you. I have since grown by making painful mistakes through the daily trials and tribulations of college life. I wish someone told me that college would try its hardest to break me and that my stunningly high AP, SAT, GPA wouldn’t matter much after getting into college. Your college experience can be the best years of your life, if you let them be; never lose sight of the bigger picture. Tips: 1.)Don’t forget your family. 2.)Get out of that comfort zone! Embrace something new every day even at the cost of failure or embarrassment. 3.)Carpe Diem. Seize each day with an open-mind and sheer productivity. 4.)Let your academic pursuits be driven by the genuine passion to learn, your grades will be much better if you stop memorizing every detail blindly. 5.)Don’t compare yourself to other people. 6.)Form strong relationships. 7.)Life is much more than youth and recklessness, that party before an exam can wait… 8.)It’s OKAY to not have all the answers. 9.)Ask questions! 10.)Be understanding of others life situations. Love, You

Marissa

The University of Rochester is probably best known for its music and medical programs. The Eastman School of Music is well known across the country for its extensive programs, knowledgeable faculty, and opportunities to fully develop the musical gifts of undergraduates. The medical school is also fairly well known, especially in the greater Rochester area, because it has connections to the Strong Memorial Hospital.

As a senior, I was very private about my decisions in regards to the college application process. Because I feared that my peers would judge my intelligence level based on the college I chose, I was hesitant to discuss my acceptances. If I were to speak to my past self, I would not necessarily condemn this mindset altogether – there were some who viewed college acceptances as the be-and-end-all of our senior year. Yet, I would try to make my past self aware that I should not take these opinions into consideration when determining my own self-worth. By making the college application process a measure of my value as a person, I failed to fully consider how my choice would affect my far future and focused too much on how the decision would affect my immediate future. Though I do not regret my ultimate choice for school, I think my list of potential schools would have been better suited to my needs had I taken the time to really analyze what each school had to offer, rather than considering how my college selection would change my image.

My experience at the University of Rochester has, thus far, been a fairly positive one. There are not many things I would change about the school, especially in regards to its academics and values. I would say that the worst things about my school are the athletic programs. Because the UR teams are division three, it is hard for our campus to come together in expressing our school spirit at the same time. This issue does not greatly effect my experience, however, since I came to this school knowing that athletics were not a hugely significant part of campus life.

Devine

I wish I knew the size of the school then before attending.

I wish I knew the size of the school then before attending.

I would give myself advice to study a lot more, try for even more scholarships, and also to be much more active in my highschool year.

The people here are great and very friendly and very supportive to help you achieve your goals.

Jalon

Subtle, encouraging, nest for great thinkers

Subtle, encouraging, nest for great thinkers

Be more focused on discovering you interests and passions and take more chances. There is so much that you can only accomplish while in high school and it will lay a foundation that you can easily build upon. Opportunities are infinite but they require iniviative to take advantage of them. If you want something, then go out and get it! you are smart and can really do great things. When you apply for colleges, focus principally on what that school offers for your major. Do not worry about the pomp of the school or how recognizeable its name is. Most importantly, relax! I know that this is a stressful time and it sems that the weight of your future success rest on this year, but it does not. You can be successful wherever you are because you have the determination to do so. And finally, take time to be proud of your accomplishments so far and do not hone in on your failures and rejections. You dont have to beat yourself up for every mistake, just learn from it and grow. I think that you will be just fine and I cannot wait to see what future me does!

Extent of opportunities for my particular field of interest and also the quality of surrounding city

Steve

The stereotype is that the students at U of R are socially awkward. In fact, we were ranked one of the most socially awkward Universities in the nation. I would say that the stereotype is fairly accurate. The vast majority of students are socially awkward and do not do much partying. There is a vocal minority, however, which creates what little social scene we do have at the University. Greek life is pretty much the only thing keeping that social aspect of student life afloat.

Madeline

Rochester isn't really a college town so there is a big sense of community on the campus. At times this can feel isolating, especially for freshmen who can't have cars, but the location causes students to become more active on campus.

While Rochester students are dedicated to their academics, they also know how to have fun. There are definitely opportunities for all types of students in terms of events. Also, the students are not just interested in the sciences. The arts and humanities also have a prominent presence on campus.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

The U of R has strong academics and an open curriculum.

The students are nerds and are only interested in studying the sciences, but this is not true!

Tell us about your professors.

Majority of my professors have been very easy to converse with and meet with if you show you care about the class. Also, most regularly check their email and will respond quickly if you have any questions, concerns, or even comments.

Academics are obviously rigorous, but the open curriculum allows students to avoid classes they really don't like. So, students get to take courses they want to enroll in and actually like.

Justin

As with any university, student groups play a major role at UR. Some of the most popular ones that come to mind are the musical groups (orchestra, percussion ensemble, jazz band, a Capella groups, etc.), activist/political groups (GreenSpace, College Dems/Repubs, etc.), media groups (Campus Times, the student-run radio station and record label, etc.), and club/intramural sports. Ok, so a few of those were personal plugs. I'm the Publisher for the Campus Times (CT, our student newspaper), and have been working with the CT since freshman year. It's easy to get involved with the CT either a little or a lot, in everything from graphics and web design to writing to photojournalism. It's also a great opportunity to meet new people, especially for a science major like me. What to say about the social scene at UR... as with everything else, there's a lot going on and it's highly varied. Some students prefer the fraternity/sorority scene -- if you find your niche there, you can find a party to go to pretty much any night from Wasted Wednesday to Smashed Saturday. If you're more like me though, most of your social interaction comes through smaller parties, organized at the houses/apartments of your friends or out at the bars in the city. If you're not into drinking, you won't be pressured to. People don't want to buy beer for you if you don't want to drink it, trust me. At least in my experience, people are welcomed into the social scene whether they drink or not. I'm sure you're all completely focused on academics and so have no interest in the dating scene, but just in case any of you are interested in any extracurriculars, I'm happy with the pool of singles at UR. Most of your dates will come out of people you meet through class or student groups, so just put yourself out there and don't try too hard. There's plenty of nice, attractive guys/gals looking for the same thing you are. In the city, some popular social activities include checking out some of our indie movie theaters (well-kept secrets), concerts, checking out the bar scene, hanging in parks, hitting up restaurants, heading up to the beach for the day (~20 minute drive), and just urban exploring in general.

The classes at UR generally range from academically stimulating to downright difficult. You'll surely end up taking a few 'easy A' courses (depending on your major, possibly a couple more than your friends), but in generally speaking, expect to do a good amount of studying and writing -- there are no easy majors. One of the most unique aspects of UR's academics is how we handle required courses. Get this: there are no gen ed requirements at UR! Instead, we take clusters -- groups of courses geared toward some interest outside of our major -- to fulfill something akin to gen ed's. I'll spare you all the details in this brief description, but suffice to say it's definitely a unique system. One of the things that drew me to UR was my major. It's called Brain and Cognitive Sciences, and in my experience it's a pretty rare major. It's a flexible degree that basically falls somewhere in between neuroscience and psychology. My work is closer to the neuroscience side of things, but unlike a neuro major, I get to spend my time learning about how the brain works, rather than how individual synapses and protein channels work. Pretty cool stuff! My favorite class, and one of the more unique ones I've taken at UR, was called The Intelligent Eye. We got to learn about the anatomy of the mammalian eye, learn about how the brain processes several aspects of the visual world, and go on several lab visits to see firsthand how researchers are studying this stuff. My least favorite class was probably Calculus 162 (if you took AP Calc in high school, this class would be your next step), but this class is pretty much the same from university to university; I'm just NOT a math person. It's tough to make generalizations about professors, since at any school the range of personalities will be vast. Overall though, I've found my professors to be very personable, knowledgeable and most importantly, willing to help. My advice would be to build a rapport with few of your profs, not all of them. I've even shared a beer with one of my favorite professors (don't fret, I was over 21). Students are competitive, but more importantly, they're engaging. I've stumbled into conversations about everything from astrophysics to what it means to appreciate art, and I love that there's that type of ambiance around student conversation at UR.

Daniel

I'l admit, U of R wasn't my first choice and I wasn't sure if it was the place for me when I sent in my deposit. But it has a really interesting dynamic, great academics, and I'm really glad I ended up here. I think UR's size is a real benefit. Some Intro classes do tend to be large, but are small enough where you can still develop a personal relationship with your professor. I had the opportunity to be in several discussion based classes as a freshman and this isn't really out of the ordinary. But UR also is a top-notch University with professors doing high level research in their fields. Its small undergrad size allows for amazing opportunities for undergrad research and independent study. Very few schools offer the same intimacy and research availability. While the city of Rochester gets a bad rap, I honestly think its an above average college town. Lots of music performances, a quaint independent theater and decent night life. Despite what outsiders might think having heard about kodak filing for bankruptcy protection, Rochester is doing fine economically---it was recently listed as one of 10 cities 'poised for greatness' and its really starting to flower. The worst thing about UR is that its name doesn't carry as much clout as its academics deserves. I think that the quality of education and caliber of students makes UR a peer school with WashU, Tufts, CMU, Emory, and JHU (I know a bunch of students that turned down all of these schools and many more) However, UR is practically unknown in many circles. Nevertheless, lots of UR students attend top grad schools and it is well known in academia. Ultimately, its name recognition is more annoying than anything else, and isn't something that will really hold you back in achieving your career goals.

Alot of people think that UR is filled with socially awkward kids. I think that while this might be true, it paints a picture of UR that isn't quite accurate. Most students don't spend all of their time playing video games and studying alone in the library. We might not be the most suave and almost all of us have a nerdy side, but this is really something to be expected at a university of this caliber.

Monica

Personally, I love the University of Rochester because of the neat and tight community. It is academically oriented and was able to meet many friends who I could share my passion for learning and academics. But at the same time, students here are unique and are allowed to continue on their extracurricular activities and hobbies. As a result, students are always vibrant, active and happy! Students definitely have school pride, except for one aspect, the Rochester winter.

Classes are small and there is definitely very good professor-stuent interaction. Most of the small classes are run in a workshop setting, where students are allowed to learn interactively. Students are very academically oriented and competitive. However, Rochester was one of the first places to run workshops, and students here respect that and reflect this environment by studying together and sharing knowledge. Biology, Optics, engineering, as well as economics and political science are some of the strong fields. Research in biology, psychology and optics are big in our school.

Some of the most popular student groups on campus are the nationally recognised acapella groups: the Midnight Ramblers, Yellow Jackets. I met most of my friends, through clubs like equestrian club, symphony orchestra and living in the same dorm: and of course, through taking the same classes. Since our campus is very small, I recognised a lot of familiar faces at frat houses and other parties, and was able to strengthen the relationships and friendships through these social events. D-day (Dandelion Day) is one of the most significant days during the academic. This is always the saturday before finals in the Spring semester, where students are all out on the campus grounds, drinking, bonding and saying good luck on exams, and good-byes. Famous musicians and bands throw concerts throughout the day. This is one day you can see students drunk in the day time, on campus.

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.