Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

Alma
What I like most about UofR?

What I like most about UofR?

I love the environment and sense of home around here. Orientation was so much fun! People are for the most part really nice! There are always activities going on that give me a sense of belonging! This morning the dining hall worker asked me to smile because I would sure see better days! The other day a librarian greeted me and wished me luck on my studying! It's really great to talk to advisers, upperclassmen, professors, and alumni about my track, because they are so positive and will stand by this school no matter what! UR home:)

Ling

Dear Ling, You’re determined to start anew. This is where you’ll recreate yourself. You can explore any interest and whim you like from the hundreds of classes available. They call you a liberal arts scholar, and you’re in high hopes. And most importantly, your future will simply come to you. You’ll figure it out by the end. So you think. I admire your enthusiasm, but you also need grit and strategy. Know that college is difficult, and you’ll struggle. Know that after college you are expected to jump into job market, and you need to be prepared. You might get away with the first year of indecision, but you must focus on developing desirable, hard skills. I’ll give you some examples: finance, computer science, and statistics. Get internships, real internships, start early on applications and network. No one told you this until it was too late. Even if someone did, maybe you wouldn’t pay much mind. But I’m urging you, because I know you. Good luck.

I wish I had known more about myself and what I needed to do. About the school, I wish I'd known that its Studio Arts department does not teach traditional art technique. Visual arts are small at this school and taught more abstractly. Wish I'd known that Environmental Sciences are within the same department as Geology. Wish I'd known that Environmental Studies is much less structured and therefore less favorable than Environmental Science. I wish Environmental Studies wasn't even an option.

Research opportunities in the sciences, especially for engineering and biology students, robust biomedical engineering program and engineering in general, plenty of extracurricular opportunities, intelligent and critical people, strong economics program, Take 5 (fifth year tuition-free option), more flexibility choosing non-major classes and electives, beautiful campus in the spring, summer and fall, good libraries, campus is a good size

Chiamaka

The best thing about this school is that everything could be so easy, if you weren't an engineering major or on a pre-med track. These intended studies have a mandatory curriculum, so while the school boasts that you can slap together a proposal of study and show how each is relevant to your end-goal, you can't make up your own chemical engineering major. Besides that, forget how smart you thought you were, and prepare to be humbled by your peers. Besides just here, but in life there will always be some one who knows what you don't. There is competition, as there should be, but it isn't cut-throat, and if anything it promotes learning, collaboration, and trust. For lecture classes, participation isn't really expected, but in classes with a 10:1 student instructor ratio, your voice is expected to be heard.

Carrie

My classmates are bright, talented, and successful individuals, some of which are still my closest friends!

If I knew then what I know now, I would tell myself to consider all options when choosing a college or university to attend. My main consideration should have been to stay local and attend a community college for 2 years so I could save money and give myself more time to determine the career path I was meant to pursue. For some reason, I was set on attending Penn State so I didn't consider other choices as carefully as I should have. As a result, I was miserable my first semester and ended up transferring to a 4-year college near my hometown. I needed to attend a smaller school that was closer to home. Moreover, I should have done more research on student loans and scholarships. Unfortunately, I'm in a situation where I have 6 figures-worth of student loans and will be adding onto that total once I pursue my Doctorate in January. Hopefully, I will acquire scholarships to help cut down on the amount I need to borrow. Nonetheless, I don't regret any of the experiences I've had because they have been amazing learning opportunities that have helped me grow!

The quality of the education I received was superb! All of the faculty and staff members were extremely knowledgeable and took the time to ensure that students were grasping the material. They certainly helped foster my growth and development as a student and as a professional by encouraging me to think more critically as well as promoting my creativity.

Giovanna

Meliora! Live by the motto of being ever better.

Meliora! Live by the motto of being ever better.

My classmates are driven, intelligent, ambitious, helpful and creative thinkers who wil shape the world.

Dear 17 year-old me, A year has gone by…since I was you. I have since grown by making painful mistakes through the daily trials and tribulations of college life. I wish someone told me that college would try its hardest to break me and that my stunningly high AP, SAT, GPA wouldn’t matter much after getting into college. Your college experience can be the best years of your life, if you let them be; never lose sight of the bigger picture. Tips: 1.)Don’t forget your family. 2.)Get out of that comfort zone! Embrace something new every day even at the cost of failure or embarrassment. 3.)Carpe Diem. Seize each day with an open-mind and sheer productivity. 4.)Let your academic pursuits be driven by the genuine passion to learn, your grades will be much better if you stop memorizing every detail blindly. 5.)Don’t compare yourself to other people. 6.)Form strong relationships. 7.)Life is much more than youth and recklessness, that party before an exam can wait… 8.)It’s OKAY to not have all the answers. 9.)Ask questions! 10.)Be understanding of others life situations. Love, You

Marissa

The University of Rochester is probably best known for its music and medical programs. The Eastman School of Music is well known across the country for its extensive programs, knowledgeable faculty, and opportunities to fully develop the musical gifts of undergraduates. The medical school is also fairly well known, especially in the greater Rochester area, because it has connections to the Strong Memorial Hospital.

As a senior, I was very private about my decisions in regards to the college application process. Because I feared that my peers would judge my intelligence level based on the college I chose, I was hesitant to discuss my acceptances. If I were to speak to my past self, I would not necessarily condemn this mindset altogether – there were some who viewed college acceptances as the be-and-end-all of our senior year. Yet, I would try to make my past self aware that I should not take these opinions into consideration when determining my own self-worth. By making the college application process a measure of my value as a person, I failed to fully consider how my choice would affect my far future and focused too much on how the decision would affect my immediate future. Though I do not regret my ultimate choice for school, I think my list of potential schools would have been better suited to my needs had I taken the time to really analyze what each school had to offer, rather than considering how my college selection would change my image.

My experience at the University of Rochester has, thus far, been a fairly positive one. There are not many things I would change about the school, especially in regards to its academics and values. I would say that the worst things about my school are the athletic programs. Because the UR teams are division three, it is hard for our campus to come together in expressing our school spirit at the same time. This issue does not greatly effect my experience, however, since I came to this school knowing that athletics were not a hugely significant part of campus life.

Devine

I wish I knew the size of the school then before attending.

I wish I knew the size of the school then before attending.

I would give myself advice to study a lot more, try for even more scholarships, and also to be much more active in my highschool year.

The people here are great and very friendly and very supportive to help you achieve your goals.

Jalon

Subtle, encouraging, nest for great thinkers

Subtle, encouraging, nest for great thinkers

Be more focused on discovering you interests and passions and take more chances. There is so much that you can only accomplish while in high school and it will lay a foundation that you can easily build upon. Opportunities are infinite but they require iniviative to take advantage of them. If you want something, then go out and get it! you are smart and can really do great things. When you apply for colleges, focus principally on what that school offers for your major. Do not worry about the pomp of the school or how recognizeable its name is. Most importantly, relax! I know that this is a stressful time and it sems that the weight of your future success rest on this year, but it does not. You can be successful wherever you are because you have the determination to do so. And finally, take time to be proud of your accomplishments so far and do not hone in on your failures and rejections. You dont have to beat yourself up for every mistake, just learn from it and grow. I think that you will be just fine and I cannot wait to see what future me does!

Extent of opportunities for my particular field of interest and also the quality of surrounding city

Steve

The stereotype is that the students at U of R are socially awkward. In fact, we were ranked one of the most socially awkward Universities in the nation. I would say that the stereotype is fairly accurate. The vast majority of students are socially awkward and do not do much partying. There is a vocal minority, however, which creates what little social scene we do have at the University. Greek life is pretty much the only thing keeping that social aspect of student life afloat.

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.