Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

Daniel

I'l admit, U of R wasn't my first choice and I wasn't sure if it was the place for me when I sent in my deposit. But it has a really interesting dynamic, great academics, and I'm really glad I ended up here. I think UR's size is a real benefit. Some Intro classes do tend to be large, but are small enough where you can still develop a personal relationship with your professor. I had the opportunity to be in several discussion based classes as a freshman and this isn't really out of the ordinary. But UR also is a top-notch University with professors doing high level research in their fields. Its small undergrad size allows for amazing opportunities for undergrad research and independent study. Very few schools offer the same intimacy and research availability. While the city of Rochester gets a bad rap, I honestly think its an above average college town. Lots of music performances, a quaint independent theater and decent night life. Despite what outsiders might think having heard about kodak filing for bankruptcy protection, Rochester is doing fine economically---it was recently listed as one of 10 cities 'poised for greatness' and its really starting to flower. The worst thing about UR is that its name doesn't carry as much clout as its academics deserves. I think that the quality of education and caliber of students makes UR a peer school with WashU, Tufts, CMU, Emory, and JHU (I know a bunch of students that turned down all of these schools and many more) However, UR is practically unknown in many circles. Nevertheless, lots of UR students attend top grad schools and it is well known in academia. Ultimately, its name recognition is more annoying than anything else, and isn't something that will really hold you back in achieving your career goals.

Alot of people think that UR is filled with socially awkward kids. I think that while this might be true, it paints a picture of UR that isn't quite accurate. Most students don't spend all of their time playing video games and studying alone in the library. We might not be the most suave and almost all of us have a nerdy side, but this is really something to be expected at a university of this caliber.

Monica

Personally, I love the University of Rochester because of the neat and tight community. It is academically oriented and was able to meet many friends who I could share my passion for learning and academics. But at the same time, students here are unique and are allowed to continue on their extracurricular activities and hobbies. As a result, students are always vibrant, active and happy! Students definitely have school pride, except for one aspect, the Rochester winter.

Classes are small and there is definitely very good professor-stuent interaction. Most of the small classes are run in a workshop setting, where students are allowed to learn interactively. Students are very academically oriented and competitive. However, Rochester was one of the first places to run workshops, and students here respect that and reflect this environment by studying together and sharing knowledge. Biology, Optics, engineering, as well as economics and political science are some of the strong fields. Research in biology, psychology and optics are big in our school.

Some of the most popular student groups on campus are the nationally recognised acapella groups: the Midnight Ramblers, Yellow Jackets. I met most of my friends, through clubs like equestrian club, symphony orchestra and living in the same dorm: and of course, through taking the same classes. Since our campus is very small, I recognised a lot of familiar faces at frat houses and other parties, and was able to strengthen the relationships and friendships through these social events. D-day (Dandelion Day) is one of the most significant days during the academic. This is always the saturday before finals in the Spring semester, where students are all out on the campus grounds, drinking, bonding and saying good luck on exams, and good-byes. Famous musicians and bands throw concerts throughout the day. This is one day you can see students drunk in the day time, on campus.

Tracy

I'd say, "Have confidence in your character and your intelligence. (And yes, you do have character and intelligence.) Expect others to treat you as a human being, deserving of respect. Don't believe anyone who says you deserve less. Life isn't about being beautiful for others. In fact, those kinds of shallow pursuits will only get in the way of your happiness, so don't force yourself into sickness trying to attain them. Have compassion for yourself, but never think you're a victim. You're as strong as you let yourself be. Your future isn't as bleak as you think, not by a long shot. You don't think so, but you'll learn you want to go to college. It'll be the best thing you ever did. Ever. You'll find a million new interests, you'll find your passion, and you'll find a reason for everything that's happened over the last three years. You're going to be told your goals aren't realistic. Just shrug it off, and push yourself harder than you think you can handle, because you have no idea how much you're truly capable of."

Pamela

The Rochester Curriculum allows students to take the courses they are passionate about, without wasting time on mandatory general requirements. Every freshman takes a writing course, but the topics are fun: mine was on witchcraft! Then you take the courses in your major and 1-2 "clusters" outside your major. With the exception of Engineering students, UR students take courses in 3 areas: Natural Sciences & Engineering, Social Sciences, and Humanities. For example: as a biology major, I took a cluster in French and a minor in psychology, with time for a few dance courses and a research project.

The advice I have always given to high school seniors is: optional homework, is not optional. In high school, I didn't have to try hard to earn A's and B's. It came easily to me, and all of my friends were fellow honors and AP students. When I got to college, I didn't realize that my new cohort was the cream of the crop. 50% of my incoming freshman class was the Valedictorian of their high school, and all of us were from the top high schools in the country. So when my General Chemistry professor told us that the problems in the book were "optional," I didn't think I had to work on them. That is until I took my first college chemistry exam. When we got the results back, one of my good friends sat me down on the floor of his dorm room, cracked open our chemistry book, and said, "we're doing these homework problems together." In exchange, I helped him edit his English essays, since English was his second language. I learned to study hard, ask for help, and work together with my classmates to succeed.

Jennika

The University of Rochester is a very open-minded place that is highly focused on research.

Hi. You probably won't believe me, but I'm you from the future, a couple of years after you graduate from college and I have some tips: -I know you know that you'll get into the University of Rochester, but apply to other places. Go to the UofR though, since you meet the man who becomes your husband there. -You know how arrogant most trumpet players are now? It only gets worse in college; put music aside and focus on other things. -Those friends you make from your hall the first year? Keep in touch with them. -When things seem to start falling apart the first winter break, your friends, boyfriend, and papa -will- be there for you and you -will- survive. -I know this may seem very strange to you, but ask for the campus counselors to test you for Asperger’s Syndrome, and no matter how much it terrifies you, accept help from the disability services. -Take an American Sign Language class—you might be surprised how much you love it—but don’t drop out of Brain and Cognitive Science. You’ll regret it for years to come. Most of all, relax and have fun.

The best thing about the U of R is how thorough the classes are. They really go in-depth and teach you anything and everything you need to know to get a good job, especially if you're interested in research.

Rosemary

My classmates are fun, quirky, and sometimes focused.

My classmates are fun, quirky, and sometimes focused.

Intolerant people should not attend this school.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to think more seriously about Plan B. I've always known that I wanted to work in health care, and Physician seemed like the logical choice. Unfortunately, I've come out of the application process with nothing more than a single spot on a wait-list. So here I am, a few weeks before graduation, applying to massage therapy school as my Plan B before reapplication to Osteopathic medical school. I'm currently several thousand dollars short of tuition because I can't get loans without a cosigner, and I don't have anyone willing and able to be a cosigner for me. I would tell high school me to consider the "what ifs" long and hard. I would never recommend a different college, because the U of R was wonderful, but I might suggest enrolling in the evening massage therapy program at the Onondaga School in Rochester, or deferring enrollment for a semester to finish the masage program first. It would have looked great on an Osteopathic School applciation, and can you imagine a better college job? Beats working for Dining Services!

Kaitlin
Why did you decide to go to this school?

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose UR because of the financial package. I thought it was a great school, but it was not my top choice until I received my financial aid package and realized this was an opportunity I could not pass up.

With over 250 student organizations on campus, there is a significant number of groups for students to choose from when wanting to get more involved on campus. Some of the popular clubs on campus include the acapella singing groups, dance groups, class councils, student government, club sports teams, undergraduate major societies, and Greek life. Many students are involved in multiple organizations forcing them to plan time for their studies and activities.

Tucker

Where to start... I love it!! Everything about U of R screams "you belong here" aloud to me. The red brick construction, the open air of the academic quad, the catacombs and endless halls of knowledge of our main library, the people who greet me with a smile even when I'm in the foulest of moods. For me, there could be no better fit, and I encourage everyone to give it a shot!

Well, you can ask anyone and they'll say a lot of things. I personally love the red brick, traditional architecture, and the feel and size of it. But one thing that everyone will tell you is the COLD. We're closer to Canada than pretty much anything else so it gets cold early, and it stays that way. Yesterday it hit 50 Fahrenheit, the high since I've been here, and everyone was having picnics on the academic quad and wearing shorts, because we all know it's not gonna get any better. Personally, I like the cold, but it's not for everyone.

Describe the dorms.

As a Freshman I've only lived in one room so far. That said, I can't complain. It's spacious, the hall is friendly and rather quiet during the wee hours, and we have a damn good dining hall on the first floor. I personally would prefer to live in a single instead of a double (they are offered, I didn't take one) but given what I have to work with this is incredible.

You mean I have to pin it down? People do all sorts of things here -- there are so many, in fact, that during the activities fairs, it's hard to get where you're going through all the people! I personally have been offered a position on a rowing team, a computer science interest club, a belly dancing group (and I'm a guy!) and a video game league. That's without looking -- there's FAR more than just that, and people are making new groups all the time. Parties are common to say the least. They're no unavoidable -- they keep to themselves, really -- but they're not hard to find either. If that's your thing.

Orkhan

The academics at University of Rochester are great. However, due to significant amount of research the professors have to do in this school, sometimes they are not as focused about teaching their classes, or put 100% into their lectures. Students here study quite a bit, I know some people who study on Friday and Saturday nights, and that is challenging. My major is chemical engineering and our department is on the small side, mostly because of the number of students who are part of it. The department has its own building and several laboratories, that are open to undergraduates and graduate students. Students who choose to interact with their professors, do so. Similar thing happens to intellectual conversations outside of class. Some students are not as focused on interacting with others about intellectual topics, while some are extremely passionate, and get into some big debates regarding variety of topics.

A general strereotype of students in our school is that everyone is different, somehow. A typical University of Rochester student, is actually the one that is different from everyone else, however, every one in here is passionate about learning and being part of their organizations.

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.