Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

Tracy

I'd say, "Have confidence in your character and your intelligence. (And yes, you do have character and intelligence.) Expect others to treat you as a human being, deserving of respect. Don't believe anyone who says you deserve less. Life isn't about being beautiful for others. In fact, those kinds of shallow pursuits will only get in the way of your happiness, so don't force yourself into sickness trying to attain them. Have compassion for yourself, but never think you're a victim. You're as strong as you let yourself be. Your future isn't as bleak as you think, not by a long shot. You don't think so, but you'll learn you want to go to college. It'll be the best thing you ever did. Ever. You'll find a million new interests, you'll find your passion, and you'll find a reason for everything that's happened over the last three years. You're going to be told your goals aren't realistic. Just shrug it off, and push yourself harder than you think you can handle, because you have no idea how much you're truly capable of."

Pamela

The Rochester Curriculum allows students to take the courses they are passionate about, without wasting time on mandatory general requirements. Every freshman takes a writing course, but the topics are fun: mine was on witchcraft! Then you take the courses in your major and 1-2 "clusters" outside your major. With the exception of Engineering students, UR students take courses in 3 areas: Natural Sciences & Engineering, Social Sciences, and Humanities. For example: as a biology major, I took a cluster in French and a minor in psychology, with time for a few dance courses and a research project.

The advice I have always given to high school seniors is: optional homework, is not optional. In high school, I didn't have to try hard to earn A's and B's. It came easily to me, and all of my friends were fellow honors and AP students. When I got to college, I didn't realize that my new cohort was the cream of the crop. 50% of my incoming freshman class was the Valedictorian of their high school, and all of us were from the top high schools in the country. So when my General Chemistry professor told us that the problems in the book were "optional," I didn't think I had to work on them. That is until I took my first college chemistry exam. When we got the results back, one of my good friends sat me down on the floor of his dorm room, cracked open our chemistry book, and said, "we're doing these homework problems together." In exchange, I helped him edit his English essays, since English was his second language. I learned to study hard, ask for help, and work together with my classmates to succeed.

Jennika

The University of Rochester is a very open-minded place that is highly focused on research.

Hi. You probably won't believe me, but I'm you from the future, a couple of years after you graduate from college and I have some tips: -I know you know that you'll get into the University of Rochester, but apply to other places. Go to the UofR though, since you meet the man who becomes your husband there. -You know how arrogant most trumpet players are now? It only gets worse in college; put music aside and focus on other things. -Those friends you make from your hall the first year? Keep in touch with them. -When things seem to start falling apart the first winter break, your friends, boyfriend, and papa -will- be there for you and you -will- survive. -I know this may seem very strange to you, but ask for the campus counselors to test you for Asperger’s Syndrome, and no matter how much it terrifies you, accept help from the disability services. -Take an American Sign Language class—you might be surprised how much you love it—but don’t drop out of Brain and Cognitive Science. You’ll regret it for years to come. Most of all, relax and have fun.

The best thing about the U of R is how thorough the classes are. They really go in-depth and teach you anything and everything you need to know to get a good job, especially if you're interested in research.

Rosemary

My classmates are fun, quirky, and sometimes focused.

My classmates are fun, quirky, and sometimes focused.

Intolerant people should not attend this school.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to think more seriously about Plan B. I've always known that I wanted to work in health care, and Physician seemed like the logical choice. Unfortunately, I've come out of the application process with nothing more than a single spot on a wait-list. So here I am, a few weeks before graduation, applying to massage therapy school as my Plan B before reapplication to Osteopathic medical school. I'm currently several thousand dollars short of tuition because I can't get loans without a cosigner, and I don't have anyone willing and able to be a cosigner for me. I would tell high school me to consider the "what ifs" long and hard. I would never recommend a different college, because the U of R was wonderful, but I might suggest enrolling in the evening massage therapy program at the Onondaga School in Rochester, or deferring enrollment for a semester to finish the masage program first. It would have looked great on an Osteopathic School applciation, and can you imagine a better college job? Beats working for Dining Services!

Kaitlin
Why did you decide to go to this school?

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose UR because of the financial package. I thought it was a great school, but it was not my top choice until I received my financial aid package and realized this was an opportunity I could not pass up.

With over 250 student organizations on campus, there is a significant number of groups for students to choose from when wanting to get more involved on campus. Some of the popular clubs on campus include the acapella singing groups, dance groups, class councils, student government, club sports teams, undergraduate major societies, and Greek life. Many students are involved in multiple organizations forcing them to plan time for their studies and activities.

Tucker

Where to start... I love it!! Everything about U of R screams "you belong here" aloud to me. The red brick construction, the open air of the academic quad, the catacombs and endless halls of knowledge of our main library, the people who greet me with a smile even when I'm in the foulest of moods. For me, there could be no better fit, and I encourage everyone to give it a shot!

Well, you can ask anyone and they'll say a lot of things. I personally love the red brick, traditional architecture, and the feel and size of it. But one thing that everyone will tell you is the COLD. We're closer to Canada than pretty much anything else so it gets cold early, and it stays that way. Yesterday it hit 50 Fahrenheit, the high since I've been here, and everyone was having picnics on the academic quad and wearing shorts, because we all know it's not gonna get any better. Personally, I like the cold, but it's not for everyone.

Describe the dorms.

As a Freshman I've only lived in one room so far. That said, I can't complain. It's spacious, the hall is friendly and rather quiet during the wee hours, and we have a damn good dining hall on the first floor. I personally would prefer to live in a single instead of a double (they are offered, I didn't take one) but given what I have to work with this is incredible.

You mean I have to pin it down? People do all sorts of things here -- there are so many, in fact, that during the activities fairs, it's hard to get where you're going through all the people! I personally have been offered a position on a rowing team, a computer science interest club, a belly dancing group (and I'm a guy!) and a video game league. That's without looking -- there's FAR more than just that, and people are making new groups all the time. Parties are common to say the least. They're no unavoidable -- they keep to themselves, really -- but they're not hard to find either. If that's your thing.

Orkhan

The academics at University of Rochester are great. However, due to significant amount of research the professors have to do in this school, sometimes they are not as focused about teaching their classes, or put 100% into their lectures. Students here study quite a bit, I know some people who study on Friday and Saturday nights, and that is challenging. My major is chemical engineering and our department is on the small side, mostly because of the number of students who are part of it. The department has its own building and several laboratories, that are open to undergraduates and graduate students. Students who choose to interact with their professors, do so. Similar thing happens to intellectual conversations outside of class. Some students are not as focused on interacting with others about intellectual topics, while some are extremely passionate, and get into some big debates regarding variety of topics.

A general strereotype of students in our school is that everyone is different, somehow. A typical University of Rochester student, is actually the one that is different from everyone else, however, every one in here is passionate about learning and being part of their organizations.

Akinniyi

I think the school motto describes itself perfectly when it says ever better, because students and faculty are always trying to improve the school, and therefore, themselves every year.

I would tell myself to prepare for exams and projects quite thoroughly even if they were easy, because then I would have been ready for the amount of studying I have to do at the University of Rochester. I also would have told myself to the the some classes I slacked off in more seriously, because the lessons from some of those classes could have made my learning experience in the college equivalent of those classes much easier. Other than the above though, I think I prepared myself fairly well for college, and believe that the best thing I did was to not completely take a break my senior year, just because I was graduating.

Anyone who is unable to commit quite a bit of time to their studying, and anyone who cannot keep up with a rigorous course schedule along with working, maintaining a social life, sleeping, etc.

willie

School administration cancelled bar parties. If there is one thing that unites the students, it is whenever they do that. It happens every few years and usually ends up not being a big deal-but it is the most riled up I've ever seen people here.

D-Day. Drinking Day. Or Dandelion Day, as the administration tries to call it. It's a giant party on the main quad, with live music, a great vibe, and people outside of the libraries. It's a good time, even if you don't drink.

When you step off campus what do you see?

A river. A graveyard. Or a hospital. Isn't as gloomy as it sounds, though. Balances city feel with that of a more rural, picturesque campus.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

We have a sports scene? I kid. We have a lot of sports, both varsity level and club level and stuff like that. We even have Quidditch(though the brooms don't fly). We aren't a sport centered school, we are a brainy nerd school, but if you want to take part in sports they are here.

What season? Winter season it is a white and snow covered wonderland, but can stay white for many months. It has that hard to describe college feel-the library stands tall at the center of campus, the buildings look like places where I would go to learn, the ivy helps that feel as well. It really is a beautiful campus by any rate, winter or no winter.

What are your classes like?

Hard, challenging, but most of them are worth it and a lot of fun. I've taken a wide range of classes, and I've loved almost all of them save for a select few. The upside of having the freedom of the UR curriculum is that you take the classes you want to take.

Lots of people from wide walks of life. Lots of asians-but that comes with the territory! I've enjoyed meeting people from all over, and enough people from NYS for it to still feel somewhat local. A good mix on those fronts.

Former President Bill Clinton came this year. I was in front row for the school paper and it was so awesome being so close and hearing him speak. Such a great experience and feel that only here could that have happened.

Humor writing, hands down. We not only got to give presentations on our favorite comedy writers/shows/authors, but we learned how to write and be funny. It really make reading things like the Onion and the daily show an art-and I'll never forget taking that class.

It's totally true. Students here are smart-and know how to work and do a lot of it. The libraries can be more packed then the frats sometimes. That's not to say that we don't know how to have fun-just we know when to buckle down when we need to. It's a great working and learning environment, actually.

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.