Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

Akinniyi

I think the school motto describes itself perfectly when it says ever better, because students and faculty are always trying to improve the school, and therefore, themselves every year.

I would tell myself to prepare for exams and projects quite thoroughly even if they were easy, because then I would have been ready for the amount of studying I have to do at the University of Rochester. I also would have told myself to the the some classes I slacked off in more seriously, because the lessons from some of those classes could have made my learning experience in the college equivalent of those classes much easier. Other than the above though, I think I prepared myself fairly well for college, and believe that the best thing I did was to not completely take a break my senior year, just because I was graduating.

Anyone who is unable to commit quite a bit of time to their studying, and anyone who cannot keep up with a rigorous course schedule along with working, maintaining a social life, sleeping, etc.

willie

School administration cancelled bar parties. If there is one thing that unites the students, it is whenever they do that. It happens every few years and usually ends up not being a big deal-but it is the most riled up I've ever seen people here.

D-Day. Drinking Day. Or Dandelion Day, as the administration tries to call it. It's a giant party on the main quad, with live music, a great vibe, and people outside of the libraries. It's a good time, even if you don't drink.

When you step off campus what do you see?

A river. A graveyard. Or a hospital. Isn't as gloomy as it sounds, though. Balances city feel with that of a more rural, picturesque campus.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

We have a sports scene? I kid. We have a lot of sports, both varsity level and club level and stuff like that. We even have Quidditch(though the brooms don't fly). We aren't a sport centered school, we are a brainy nerd school, but if you want to take part in sports they are here.

What season? Winter season it is a white and snow covered wonderland, but can stay white for many months. It has that hard to describe college feel-the library stands tall at the center of campus, the buildings look like places where I would go to learn, the ivy helps that feel as well. It really is a beautiful campus by any rate, winter or no winter.

What are your classes like?

Hard, challenging, but most of them are worth it and a lot of fun. I've taken a wide range of classes, and I've loved almost all of them save for a select few. The upside of having the freedom of the UR curriculum is that you take the classes you want to take.

Lots of people from wide walks of life. Lots of asians-but that comes with the territory! I've enjoyed meeting people from all over, and enough people from NYS for it to still feel somewhat local. A good mix on those fronts.

Former President Bill Clinton came this year. I was in front row for the school paper and it was so awesome being so close and hearing him speak. Such a great experience and feel that only here could that have happened.

Humor writing, hands down. We not only got to give presentations on our favorite comedy writers/shows/authors, but we learned how to write and be funny. It really make reading things like the Onion and the daily show an art-and I'll never forget taking that class.

It's totally true. Students here are smart-and know how to work and do a lot of it. The libraries can be more packed then the frats sometimes. That's not to say that we don't know how to have fun-just we know when to buckle down when we need to. It's a great working and learning environment, actually.

Jacob

Rochester is one of the best school's in the country in my opinion. However, many students do not realize this because it is not an ivy or not in an ideal location. Once you come to terms with the weather, you are really able to enjoy all that Rochester has to offer. I can not imagine the academics being stronger at another university than they are here. And with so many extra-curriculars you can become involved so much that you have a full day every day of the week. The school's size is the perfect size at around 5,000; not too small to know everyone, and not too large to get lost and go unnoticed.

To me, if you come to our school in the early fall or late spring you will think that you have just stepped on an ivy campus. The buildings are old brick surrounded by beautiful landscapes along a river.

What are your classes like?

Difficult, but manageable if I put in the effort.

As a member of Greek life, I can say that going greek was the best decision I made after coming to Rochester. The social and networking outlets that Greek life offers you are unlike any other group on campus. It has also provided a strong support system throughout my time here. There are many other popular student groups that students enjoy becoming involved with. There is a vast student government structure that allows students to see a more political side of the university. There are also several A Capella groups that are always seen singing around campus.

Over the past four years I have seen the students at this campus evolve into a much more diverse body of people. I have friends who come from all around the country and have a myriad of different experiences. This creates a very rich student culture on campus allowing those who have budding interests to get involved in things they normally wouldn't. Student's are in tune with current issues which creates a progressive campus instead of a secluded environment.

The academics at Rochester are not for the faint of heart. The school is undoubtedly known for strong engineering and science programs, but also has strong programs in the humanities. The academic requirements are pretty loose, which allows you to take almost anything you want. I have strong relationships with most of my professors which allows me to talk about the material outside of a classroom setting as well as other current issues. In order to succeed at the highest level, a large amount of time needs to be devoted to your studies.

As so eliquontly stated at last year's commencement, Rochester is characterized by many "Party-Nerds." Rochester is full of people who are deeply devoted to their academics and schoolwork. From engineering, to pre-meds and pre-business, Rochester students always keep academics at the highest priority. However, come the weekend or when mid-terms are over, students also know how to let loose and have a good time. This allows for a dynamic campus that is never dull, but also allows the necessary time to get quality work done. I believe this stereotype to be very accurate.

Quite frankly, one of the biggest draws of the University of Rochester is our open curriculum. Don't want to take math ever again? Well, then you probably won't need to. Think required gym was stupid? Good, you don't need that either, but if you do decide to take one, that's fine too. What happens is that all the classes are split into 3 different categories: Humanities, Natural Science and Social Science. Your major, once declared, will fall into one of the three categories. The remaining two categories require the completion of two clusters, one in each remaining category. The clusters are 3 related classes and there are a ton of choices. So many that I see multiple classes I would love to take, but simply don't have room for. A large majority of the teachers really want to see you do well, and there are a ton of options if you are struggling. I have teachers who know every person's name in a 100 person lecture hall. We're a small school, and I wouldn't change it as it's a small town feel with the option of the big city right there. Seriously, take the Red Line of our busing options and there's the city! You will get people who go "Oh, Rochester, RIT right?" when you tell them where you are going. I know I did in my hometown. However, the University has a name and a reputation so while the average person on the street in my hometown thought RIT, my primary care doctor, and the nursing staff knew exactly where I was going and were thrilled for me. Dealing with the financial aid offices can be frustrating at times, but I see that at almost every school that my friends go to and my brother went to. Sometimes people are not as responsive via email as I would like, or the email goes into the spam box, but these are both fixable problems. There is a price tag, and that was, and still is, the biggest drawback. College is expensive, but I cannot see myself anywhere but here at the University of Rochester.

The typical stereotype of a student at the University of Rochester: nose in a book at the library, studying, a lot. While this is true as classes can be challenging, the students here know how to relax and have fun as well. With over 200 student organizations, there really is something for everyone. Plus, the city of Rochester is beautiful and has many attractions to keep us occupied. We have stress relief events throughout the semester and especially during finals week. We have been called geeks and nerds, but that honestly does not bother us at all. Most of the students here are here to learn and that makes all the difference when it comes to classes. So, yes, when you see a Rochester student they will almost always have a book in their hand, but also a smile on their face.

Sam, You are a bright, intuitive person. DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT! Things with your family are hard, but you know what? You can do everything by yourself! You don’t need to fix other people’s problems. Leave that guy you’re with, he is only holding you back. Remember, a friend is someone who always has your back. Above all remember that there are people out there who will support your decisions, even if they aren’t related to you or if they seem to not even know you. There are people who want to help. DO NOT LET YOURSELF FEEL LIKE YOU’RE ALL ALONE! Another thing, stick with your band and keep in contact with them. You need to be a part of the community you are around or you will start to feel invisible. As far as college goes, think about what you have been doing since you were a little kid. That’s right, that thing you were and still are so passionate about. Save the animals, teach the people how to take care of them and communicate with them. Please remember, you are who you choose to be. Never give up.

Calvin

Before attending college, I wish I had been told that every obstacle in college is a challenge to prepare and strengthen me for life after college. A student who does not experience academic or social obstacles will not get the most out of college. Overcoming obstacles is an essential experience that one needs to experience in life in order to develop personally and mentally.

Students passionate about contributing to the benefit of society will feel at home at the University of Rochester, whose mission statement is "Learn, Discover, Heal, Create - And Make the World Ever Better." The University was founded with the intention of creating active leaders in all fields.

University of Rochester is not a flawless school. No school is. People complain about Dining Services, the Rochester city area, etc., but as a senior in my final year here, what I notice most about the student experience at U of R is that everyone is happy. While everything may not be perfect, so many things have gotten so much better over the past four years. The admins are completely willing to revamp entire dining centers or build a new dorm (or two) if they need to--recession or no recession. Stay here long enough, and you'll see how hard they're working to make this campus a great place for students... even if they do mess things up now and again. Moreover, U of R is a beautiful campus filled with positive and talented people. There's a niche here for everyone, and you're sure to live a balanced life while still actively engaging in challenging classes with some of the best educators in the country. I've had dinner at professors' houses and even consider some of them personal friends. Plus, professors will not hesitate to put in a little extra work if it will do a student good. I can't tell you how many times professors have invited me to plays they thought I'd find interesting, offered me a job/research opportunity, or even nominated me for a student award. And they do all of this for me and for many others simply because they appreciate their students. U of R is a small school with a lot of resources, opportunities, and (most importantly) heart. You will have a great time here; you will make lifelong friends and connections; you will receive an education that you can proud of and that others will respect.

What do students complain about most?

Dining services. It sometimes seems like they can't fix one thing without making something else worse. Danforth and the Pit are good, but Douglass just went down the tubes this year. Given that Douglass was the only place on campus with a Kosher station, you're not going to find a lot of options here if you have any dietary restrictions, and food is often incredibly bleh. They're doing better in recent years, but it's not going to be gourmet any time soon.

What's the dating scene like?

People date. Some people say that this is an "unattractive campus." I don't think that's necessarily true, but you're not going to catch people caring so much about their appearance that they wear designer clothes all the time either. If you find jeans and hoodies attractive, you will have a great dating life here. And for all the ladies who are into techies, a little piece of advice, the ratio is WAY off down the road at RIT in our favor. If you're looking for a man who's never met a woman, that's your scene.

What's the Greek scene like?

There is definitely a strong Greek scene here if you want there to be, but there's totally a place for you even if you don't want to touch Greek life with a ten foot pole. I was unaffiliated until last year (my second to last year at the university) when I joined one of our seven Panhellenic sororities on campus. It was one of the best decisions I ever made to go Greek, but I didn't make this decision because I felt it was necessary in order to not be judged/have a fulfilling social life like you might feel at some other schools.

We get a rep for being a science/engineering school here, so English majors sometimes don't get the respect we probably deserve. I'm personally on the English Lit track and intend to become a college professor myself some day, but I've also gone through almost all of the Creative Writing classes, not to mention my brief stints in Computer Science and Psychology. I can't speak for professors in other departments, but the English professors are top notch here. They win all sorts of teaching awards and are nationally recognized as researchers. I've been to academic conferences (that the college has completely paid for for me to attend) at which the heads of international academic societies have expressed their extreme regrets that my adviser could not be there. Even better: if and when this happens, it will be the absolute FIRST time you realize how professionally important your adviser is. My adviser had always struck me as a brilliant academic and professor, but he wasn't at all arrogant about it. I've been to dinner at his house multiple times. He's driven me to off-campus events, introduced me to out-of-town scholars, spent summers helping me conduct my research for no benefit to him whatsoever. I know his wife, his kids, his grandchildren, and his favorite desserts. He is not the only professor for which these things are the case. That's what you get here, down-to-earth professors who take the utmost interest in their students' lives and progress... who also happen to be academic rock stars.

We're not nearly as nerdy as other local schools like RIT, but our high standards of achievement earn us this rep. You shouldn't come to U of R if you don't like us brainiacs, but don't think there's nothing else.

Bradley

Involvement is what stands out to me most about the UR. We have hundreds of student organizations... way more than other peer schools. And almost everybody is involved in SOMETHING, because there is a group and community for every interest and passion. http://sa.rochester.edu/clubs/ Students are also really passionate about their interests: few students simply take classes and end their day at that. Most are involved in some sort of additional academic research, innovation, or other project at the school or in the community. The administration is also really encouraging. To connect with a faculty member you have to put yourself out there, and take the initiative to set up a meeting... but I've found that almost all of them are not only receptive, but excited about getting to know you. The deans are really connected with the community. Speaking of the community... I was surprised by how vibrant the music, performance, and art scene is in Rochester. There are a surprising number of great restaurants too. But a lot of that is a ways of campus. There are discounted taxis, free shuttles, busses, and free bike rentals to get you there... but this is a suburban campus moreso than urban, so sometimes getting out takes planning.

A cappella is huge! midnightramblers.org, jackets.org, urvocalpoint.com, and urafterhours.net. All of performance arts are big, including the two indian dance teams, Louvre contemporary dance, Ballet Performance Group, Rice Crew, IBTL Improv, TOOP theater, D'Motions Hip Hop, and Mariachi Meliora... just to name a few. http://sa.rochester.edu/ccc But there are hundreds of other types of groups too.

Passionate about academics, but know how to have fun. Students are especially interested in (and talented at) performances arts like music, dance, improv, theater, and studio arts. We're also a culturally diverse campus.

Students are passionate about their studies, and it shows. Professors in most departments care about getting to know students, even in large classes. That's definitely less true in some departments, but it is true of the majority. Clusters are a huge part of academics. We have NO REQUIREMENTS! Rarely are classes closed to only majors, so anybody can take any class they want. Clusters are the heart of our curriculum; basically, every student has to take 3 classes in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. That's it! http://rochester.edu/College/CCAS/clusters/ for more.

As the senior Class of 2011 President said at commencement, "We’re nerds who like to party, and all we do is win." Rochester students know how to have fun at constant performances, cultural events, and parties. We're academically driven, so its common to overhear political debates, scientific assessments, and musical compositions while walking around campus. Some of my favorite college memories are from all night impromptu conversations sitting in the hallway of my freshman dorm, talking with friends about research and classes, right when I least expected it (once it was even before an exam... whoops).

Ian

My school has an extremely welcoming environment that provides ambitious students with the necessary tools they need to succe...

My school has an extremely welcoming environment that provides ambitious students with the necessary tools they need to succeed.

My classmates are a very concerned group, always putting in effort to set up a foundation for their future.

Start taking your work seriously. Learn how to master the craft of budgeting and scheduling. If you fail once, dont just say, "I will do better next time". Sit down and analyze why you didnt perform as you wanted to. Don't procrastinate. Understand that things that need to be done will have to get down eventually and there are some tasks that you can't plan for so complete everything as soon as possible to prepare for unexpected tasks. ALWAYS GIVE %100 IN YOUR WORK!

Nora

The University of Rochester is a beautiful school with a unique curriculum. The open curriculum allows students to explore all areas of their interest. Coming from high-school, many college students are undecided and unsure of a field they want to persue. The University of Rochester encourages exploration, and you will often find that students have multiple majors and minors. Each program is strong and the academic support on campus is strong.

Follow your heart. Don't let others define your personal success and take the time to explore career options. The name of the college and the degree your recieve are meaningless if your heart is not in it. Try to take the time to explore career interests in highschool. Volunteer, job shadow and ask as many questions as possible. There is no "right" job or "wrong" job. Passion is where you will find success.

The academic programs are amazing. They encourage students to think outside the box and explore their areas of interest. The professors are dedicated to their students and care a great deal about their education. It is a small school feel with a research univeristy calibar.

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.