Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

Alexa

Throughout the four years that took me to complete my associates degree I had learn to appreciate the value of education. Money is not everything and what you learn nobody else can take it away. I have become knowledgeable on many subjects. I can communicate better, I improved my second language (English), and I made unbreakable relationships with my classmates and professors. I discovered new ways to see the world, and alternatives to be everyday more creative. Every professor contributed to this progress and looking back to my old art work and my actual one; I can see how the act of implementing all the principles learned in school has been shaping the way I create and see art.

Lin

The University of Rochester has a unique curriculum, in which we have a few requirements, and students are free to take whatever classes they want for their major. The moment I stepped on the UR campus, I knew that it was the right college for me. University of Rochester is considered a "nerdy" school, but our motto here is to study hard, party harder. There are conversations I have with other students here that I don't feel like can happen at any other campus. Where else would I discuss radiation feedback loops and time traveling?

The WEATHER! On Tuesday is was around 50-60 degrees and today it is under 10 degrees. The weather here is seriously bi-polar or something. Even though we have a tunnel system through most of the academic buildings, I still have to trudge through the slush and snow to get from my dorm building to anywhere else on the campus. Even though the weather here is not as sunny or enjoyable as California, I like to think that the people I am trapped with inside are the only people I would want to be trapped inside with.

Coming into college, I thought I would be bombarded with opportunties to further lessen that gap between my current life and a future, idealistic career. After my first semester, I realized that the opportunities are there, I just have to seek them out. There are many job, interships, and councils that I can be a part of and are offered to me. Being at Rochester is like learning a lesson every day. The people here are so diverse, intelligent, and most importantly, they are themselves. I feel like just talking to my peers constitutes learning in itself. As far as professors go, a lot of professors here are brillant and intelligent, and know what they are talking about when it comes to their areas of expertise. Several of my professors have assigned textbooks are they have written or co-written themselves. College has also taught me to live independently and make choices that are the best for me and for those I care around me. College has also taught me to appreciate certain things, such as family, the one I have back home in Iowa.

Donna

During my first semester of freshmen year, I learned that to be able to survive and maintain sanity is to push pass any pet peeves and nuisances I had during high school. If you do not, then life in college is miserable because you are constantly in contact with those things that bothered you the most prior to college. Those nuisances will break your concentration and you will not be able to complete what is necessary for you to succeed in your plans. If it comes to the point that you are unable to cope with it, then you must learn to separate yourself for your own good, even if what is bothering you are people that you considered your closest friends. By learning copoing mechanisms, you are able to thrive and succeed in your future job environment where you are less likely given the options to easily separate yourself from those nuisances.

I wish I had known that it was an incredibly religious school; however, the people here are quite tolerant of learning about religions that they do not know about.

The most frustrating thing is the numerous recitations and workshops that need to be signed up before and after course begin. There is inconsistency in the room assignments for the recitations/workshops because of countless unforeseen circumstances.

Bethany

It has been valuable for me to attend college because I am receiving an education that will benefit me in life, both now and in the future. The classes I take will not only increase the chances I have to be hired for a job, but help me better understand the things happening in our world.

Lucas

College has allowed me to learn, to focus, to figure out what I want to do with my life. College has allowed me to start down the paths I want to walk. College has given me the opportunity to research, to meet friends, to meet professors. College has given me the opportunity to live the life that will make me proud of myself. College has given me the opportunity to live.

Completely open curriculum. Engaging, intelligent, and respected professors who enjoy teaching just as much as research. Small student population (~4K undergrads) with the resources of a much larger university. Excellent housing; many stay on campus all four years, but plenty of options off-campus too.

Jillian

My classmates are diverse in their backgrounds, ways of learning and their language; no one person at my school is the same and that's what I sincerely like most about it.

During college, I have learned the value of time management and that second chances don't always exist as an adult as they did when I was a kid. My first year of college was met with a lot of ups and downs, both because of me and deaths in the family, so that my grades didn't turn out as high as I would've like them to be. But, this year, I know what I'm up against and I will be the best student that I know I can be. No matter what life brings me.

I wish I would've known how hard it would be to get off campus because at times the transportation was unreliable and I just had too much work to do to even think about going off of campus.

Eric

Academics. Academics. Academics. This is a school full of very intelligent people with a highly estemeed faculty. You're most likely going to have to work but in the end the return will be well worth the effort.

Nick Tahou's is one of Rochester, New York's most well-renowned eating establishments. It's signature dish, the "garbage plate, " is oft-imitated and worshipped by denizens. And while the garbage plate comes in several varieties, the basic model consists of two cheeseburgers placed on a bed of homefries and macaroni salad and topped with chili. In the spirit of the city, the University of Rochester periodically concocts its own version serving it as one of the lunch options available on campus.

When I begin medical school this August, I will be nearly 31-years old. Many of my new classmates will be ten years my junior. Since I graduated the University of Rochester in 2001 my appreciation of my college experience has continued to grow. First it afforded me the opportunity to grow personally. In my courses I was forced to think critically while outside of class I made new and lasting friendships that since 2001 now include milestones such as wedding celebrations and children. My college experience has also offered professional opportunities that would not have been available had I never attended. Yet most significantly my college experience has been valuable because it provded me an education to which nobody else can lay claim. Regardless of my life's direction, I will always possess it. And for that reason my college experience is truly invaluable.

Academically rigorous, research focused and prepares well for graduate school, not career oriented, amazing resources if you take advantage of them, students are competitive academically, but will motivate and are willing to assist peers, group collaboration is encouraged, social life typically revolves around the library or campus community events, unless involved in greek life (which isn't very prominent on campus), not a very sports enthusiastic university.

Academically, by attending a research oriented university I have gained problem solving, analyzing, synthesizing, and writing skills. The often challenging course load taught me study, organizational, and time management skills. Emphasis on group work in all departments gave me an advantage when working on collaborative projects in a work environment. Also by attending my university it put me in a caliber of highly motivated and diligent students where we could challenge each other. Active involvement in campus clubs and events provided me with leadership skills and exposure to a diversity of people. The most valuable thing I learned in those four years was that in order to do anything, you have to do it yourself. In other words, be an active person, if there is something you want to achieve then just go do it. Take advantage of EVERY opportunity and network, network, network. If I could go back in time and tell myself one thing as a graduating high school senior it would be "Yes, you can do it, have a little bit more confidence in you, girl! Everything will be ok."

I found as a science major it difficult to build relationships with science professors. On the other hand, courses I took outside the sciences I was able to build stronger relationships. Also frustrating when working with career center and networking with almuni. I had an extremely difficult time finding a job after school outside of working in research. But really great for getting accpeted into graduate schools in top programs.

Casey

They come from a wide range of states and countries, as well as ethnicities and cultures.

The University of Rochester is best known for its close ties with Strong Memorial Hospital. It is also a place of much scientific research, demonstrated by the OMEGA laser at the Laboratory for Laser Energetics.

I believe that you can find your niche on truely any campus. However if you're someone who strives to learn, but still desires ways to unwind and people to laugh with, that niche is the entire campus at the University of Rochester. Everyone here is open and friendly. The awkward barrier between upper classmen and freshmen is gone, and everyone is simply a fellow yellow jacket and potential friend. College is the next step in achieving a desire of vast knowledge, and in today's society it has almost become a necessary life experience, one definitely worth the rising costs. Being on this campus has introduced me to new people that I have become closer too in five months than some my high school friends that I had known for five years (or more). It has also introduced me to new things, such as karate and a surprising interest in the Theory of Relativity as well as in Crusade era novels and stories. How many high schools can give you a taste of all of that. Speaking of taste the cafeterias are much better. Bye bye mystery meat, hello ceasar chicken wraps and hand crafted subs.

Lourdes

Eastman School of Music, University of Rochester, is the one of the friendliest places for the new musicians of this country, and also for foreigners who decide to pursue a carreer in the United States. It is one of the most supportive and caring music schools in the whole world.

My classmates are all very different, some are asina, others are white, black, hispanic, but that is what makes my school the addition of all of these different people. My classmates are what make this school what it is.

At the time of orientation week, I was still unsure of how Eastman School of Music was very different from the high school I had attended in Guatemala. This was a big cultural shock for me, and I would have liked to know how the American lifestyle was different from the one I used to have in Guatemala. If I could go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself that there are going to be many different things at school that I am not used too. Among the biggest changes were the food, dorm life, and academics. I would tell myself to be ready to eat not so healthy food at every possible our of the day, and to try to sleep as much as possible, to not stress over things, and to find time for relaxation. I would also tell myself not to panic about breaking out, that it is a normal thing among college students, but to see a doctor as soon as possible to put an end to it. I would mostly encourage myself to just adapt to this new life style and stop worrying about homework in general.

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.