University of Rochester

« See more reviews of University of Rochester

I don't really think any students would feel out of place at Rochester. There are all different types of people at the school and many different groups and programs to get everyone involved. I really hate the question about racial experiences because I just accept all people for who they are, no matter their race, religion, etc. As long as I get along with the person, its all good. And I get along with many of the people at UR. At the dining hall I don't really notice anyone besides my friends who I'm sitting with. We're always the loudest, most obnoxious ones, laughing so loud with everyone staring at us: we just like to have a good time. No one ever gives us dirty looks, but just looks and laughs cause we're always having a good time.

We're not the most diverse school you'll ever find, but we do have a lot of international students. They're a really great presence here. Most of the people I've encountered have been Jewish, and fairly wealthy, but as I am neither, it's not like you don't fit in here if you don't have money. Most people geniunely don't seem to notice your family's socio-economic status. I don't think anyone would feel out of place here- we're a very accepting place. We have a fairly moderate political standing, that leans to the left; but we are a college campus after all. Most students don't really discuss their future earnings, but there are going to be some obnoxious people wherever you are. However, they are definitely a very small minority here.

there are plenty of student groups that represent different backgrounds and interests, but to be honest, i have not been involved in them so i can't really comment much, except for the fact that many of them are well-known/respected on campus. again, as i mentioned before, the student body is very "middle-of-the-road" : there is plenty of diversity on campus but many groups don't socialize with others (i am caucasian and have never been to an asian/black/hispanic group social event); there is a lot of financial diversity... the student body is not all snobby/rich like other schools, and you aren't able to tell who is or isn't because no one really acts like it.

most rochester students are from ny or nj but there are certainly students from all over the us and otherwise. there arent really different tables at the dining halls but there is definitely a greek scene. the large frat/sororities presence on campus isnt a problem but it does exist. its not really where or who i spend my time with but that is really just a situational circumstance. i found my niche of friends that i am very happy with and thats all i can really say about the student body. i dont think any particular type of person would be out of place at rochester just b/c i think you can party if you want to or not or anywhere in between.

Most students come from financially stable backgrounds from the Northeast, namely upstate New York and the tri-state area. While student diversity is stressed by administration, if you tuck yourself into the right pocket you may never know that was true. There are really no extreme, outlandish disagreements between students. I myself for example have both arms, my sides and back covered entirely with tattoos and consider myself more than generously accepted at this fairly conservative University. Either way, the students are great.

Our students are incredibly diverse. They vary in race, religion, economic status, where they are from, but also in their personalities. You have the girls who wear leggings, uggs, and big T-shirts with Tiffany jewelery to the girls in sports jerseys, jeans, and sneakers, to those in tie-dye T-shirts, ripped jeans, and Birkenstocks. What we all tend to have in common is that we are laid back. We all are intelligent and studious, but relaxed and enjoy having fun. You must be intelligent to fit in at Rochester and be chill and relaxed.

Well it's difficult to generalize but for the most part my classes tend to be diverse and the students in them are extremely attentive to their studies. During class it's about business mostly but there is also a casual dialogue that allows for an easy-breathing working environment where it is easy to ask the person next to me for help or their opinion on a certain matter. People are very curteous and down to earth here for the most part and most of the are natives of the east coast.

The kind of student that would feel out of place here is the student with a lower income and some minority students, but Rochester seems to have a very diverse student body to me. Most Rochester students are from somewhere in New York state or New England. I would say students are predominately moderate or liberal, but there is a conservative voice on campus. Many students talk about how much they'll be making one day and how much their starting salary will be upon graduation.

For what most would label a "white" school, I feel that Rochester is reasonably diverse. Financially, many students are from wealthy backgrounds, but more students are supporting themselves than many people realize. What I love best is the fact that while many students may come from prosperous families, you would never know it to look at them. No popped collars, no prada bags--just plain, normal, jeans-wearing kids going to class in whatever feels comfortable.

Over the past four years I have seen the students at this campus evolve into a much more diverse body of people. I have friends who come from all around the country and have a myriad of different experiences. This creates a very rich student culture on campus allowing those who have budding interests to get involved in things they normally wouldn't. Student's are in tune with current issues which creates a progressive campus instead of a secluded environment.