University of Rochester

« See more reviews of University of Rochester

Rochester is fairly diverse, especially for being in Upstate NY. The majority of the student body is from the Northeast, but there is also a fair amount of westerners like myself. The most prevalent religious affiliation is Jewish, I think, and I wouldn't know from experience but from what I can tell they offer a lot of activities.

Very open-minded student body, usually from a high socio-economic background. Every person on campus can find someone to relate to as we have all shades and sorts of people. Most students are from high class areas such as the Mainline, PA or Newton, MA. Students are very politically aware and open-minded.

I think the student body is very active and very accpeting . There are groups focusing on stopping racism, stopping violence, stopping sexual harrassment etc and the students are very open and accepting. There is a large population from the rochester area and a large population from the east coast area.

I love all the people on campus. Most people always hold doors open for the next person, and most people seem, overall, considerate. Most of the students look nice when going to class, as opposed to sloppy and dirty. Everyone seems well put together, and most seem comfortable in their surroundings.

The student body is probably my favorite part about being a Rochester student. It's a big enough school where you don't know everyone, but small enough for you to have friends in common with every single student. And ALL the students are so full of life and such a riot... I Love it!

I mentioned before that I though we were laid back. There are activities on and off campus, groups etc. but for the most part we just are, and this is probably a function of being indoors for much of the school year--it causes us to rarely do any campus wide activities.

Diversity has been a very popular topic on campus the last few years. UR is more diverse than many campuses, but many times groups won't interact with each other. This is something the student government, administration and student body are all working to improve.

Some students wear pajamas to class, especially if it's a morning class. Others wear T-shirts and jeans. There are also some students who always look very put-together. Everyone goes for comfort though in the winter months- boots and sweatshirts!

Rochester is actually quite diverse and truly everyone is accepted. I don't think anyone would feel out of place; people at Rochester are very down to earth.

predominantly Caucasian, though there are sizable percentages of minorities...approximately 60 White, 15% asian, 10% black, 10% hispanic, 5% other.