University of Rochester

« See more reviews of University of Rochester

Rochester is not some SUNY school. It's the first thing I hear when I talk to people who aren't from around here. The education here, depending on field of study, rivals that of many of the top schools in the world. There are very few departments here that can't compete nationally with other departments. Besides that the opportunity for an undergraduate student to participate in research and other non-undergraduate level things is very high due to the UR's even more astounding graduate program. This generally applies to nearly all of the disciplines of science, music (we have the Eastman school of music one of the best music schools in the nation), political science, economics, business, African American studies, Women's studies, and so on and so forth... Many of us are Ivy rejects, however we are also people who don't like Ivy league schools because we suspect their status has gone to their head and their education isn't as great as they make it out to be. The weather in Rochester is what you make of it. If you like it to be sunny and warm all the time you might not like it. But when it is sunny here it's one of the best places to be. Heck when it is rainy it's one of the best places to be. The spring and the fall are the best times in Rochester. If you like to ski, there's a reasonable amount of snow here and in areas where there are ski slopes. Parking is a nightmare. That is very true. Not only do your chances of getting a slot are bad, you pay a stiff fine and are usually relegated to one of the farthest parking lot on...or possibly off campus.

They are somewhat true. Rochester excels in science, but I don't think its fair to say this this is a "science school" which is something that I've heard people say in the past. I know many students who major in science but I know more that don't. Yes we are an "Ivy-League reject" school, but that is a little bit misunderstood. It is not the case that most the students here applied to most the Ivy's, got into none and then came here because it was their backup. Rather, high school student in Northern New York know about UR. That makes for a very large number of smart students that can come to UR for free if they wanted. I have seen many cases where students only applied to two school: Harvard and Rochester. We all know that Harvard has to reject "perfect candidates" (perfect SAT, 4.0 GPA, many extracurriculars) and in that case they end up here at UR and the result is an incredibly intelligent student body.

They can be very accurate if you do not make active attempts early on to be social. A lot of times it depends on who lives on your freshman floor or hall. It is likely that you will become very close with these people. However, only two of the girls on my all-female freshman hall became friends with me. Other halls (especially coeds) were more outgoing, and I can see that they are still close friends to this day. "Why is Mary-Sue hanging out with the basketball team?" "Oh, they lived on the same freshman hall." Many people, especially girls, choose to join a Greek organization. It is often these organizations that set up parties and bar nights. However, there are many other organizations on campus that allow for social interaction as well. And yes, a lot of the time, people will say "I can't, I have to study."

To a certain extent every stereotype is based in some accuracy. From my own experience the only way to gain the glorified "college experience" at the University of Rochester is to get involved in Greek life. Due to the comparatively lower numbers in attendance here, each group is extremely tight knit and open to new people. This is true despite the cliques that form in any social situation. As far as the city itself is concerned, it is pretty dead. It is considered a ghost town due to the largest industries such as Eastman Kodak and Xerox moving on or losing business. The only places worthy of a visit are the night clubs and local restaurants (Dog Town!!). There are frequent reports of muggings and strong-arm robberies, but I still feel safe enough to jog off campus with a friend.

Rochester is a research school but all that means is that can probably help with research if you want to. There tend to be a lot of project for the science majors. As far as the nerd stereotype, it's partly true but at the same time Greek life if pretty big and a lot of students believe in the study hard and party hard mentality. You definitely have to work really hard to do well because the top 15% of students do really study all the time. But if you're ok with maybe having a 3.5 or so then you can get away with studying during the week and having some fun most weekends depending what you enjoy. There are a ton of clubs and groups which is mostly good and you can probably find at least one that interests you; this is a good way to make friends.

This school is filled with people who are antisocial and generally dont do any socializing on friday/saturday night. The weather fucking sucks and its cold and snowy and WINDY all day everyday from nov-mar. The food on campus is flat out pathetic and incredibly unhealthy, the employees are miserable and very unfreindly, and the university makes no attempt to improve the quality or sevice. The sports here are terrible(im running out of synonyms for bad) the football team is the laughing stock of the school cuz they think they are the shit when they struggle to win 4 games a year, the only respectable team here is the mens basketball team, which was ranked #1, but failed to really make anything of the season.

There are alot of pre-med students and alot of Biology majors, but you get your occasional Economics or Political Science major here and there. Although, the pre-med and engineering students have been known to look down upon any student who isn't majoring in science, because apparently, there is nothing else to learn. Rochester itself has completely unpredictable weather, but it's just part of the atmosphere. The winter does seem to last forever, but eventually fades.

While Rochester students are dedicated to their academics, they also know how to have fun. There are definitely opportunities for all types of students in terms of events. Also, the students are not just interested in the sciences. The arts and humanities also have a prominent presence on campus.

its really not true at all. everybody told me before i got to rochester that i was going to be freezing especially because i'm from california but really its not that bad at all. in fact i have more positive memories of fun in the snow than horror stories of it being too cold all the time.

No! Ok, we are pretty nerdy here, but we're more like the really relaxed nerds- we do study hard, but we're not obsessive about it. And the social thing is ridiculous. There's a million things to do on campus! We're not RIT, we're New Ivy. lol