University of Rochester

« See more reviews of University of Rochester

n/a

1) It is cold, December through March, no denying that. On the plus side, it makes you study more. Also, its not too bad if you prepare yourself well: layers, a good wind-breaking winter coat, boots, gloves, you'll be all set. 2) I'd like to say we work hard and party harder. If you want to study all the time you can, if you want to party all the time you also can do that, everyone finds their own balance that suits them. 3) Though many of us are science/engineering majors and would proudly sport the title of nerd, we are definitely the coolest nerds you will ever meet. I'm a physics and astronomy major and a TI (classifying me as a class A nerd) who is also a DJ and has a passion for people watching (some call it anthropology). Just come to campus and talk to some people and you will see that we are nerdy enough to be good at what we do but are people savvy enough to talk to you about what we do and love.

Unfortunately these stereotypes are true in most circumstances, but thankfully not all. I for one am not the stereotypical Rochester student, I did not choose Rochester because I didn't get into an Ivy league school but rather it was one of my top choices. And for the stereotype about the University, it seems to be true for much of the larger natural science courses, where they try to make it as cut-throat and challenging as possible, but there are a select few who in fact try to establish relationships with their students.

Absolutely not! One of the reasons I came here was because the people were so down to earth and welcoming and they honestly cared about the person coming to the school rather than the grades. When I visited other schools, they were so stuck up and boring. Rochester was unique because it was totally the opposite. In terms of weather that is true but there are tunnels so it really isn't too bad.

1.) Somewhat true. Winters are long and it can get pretty cold, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Just bring warm clothes and you'll be fine! 2.) No. I find that while people here are studious, intellectually curious, and serious about academics, but they are also a well-balanced bunch and definitely don't shy away from fun.

Although there are definitely some nerdy people here, I find the students here to be real. Instead of people made up of material things and lots of makeup, they are just real people interested in real things. Some people refer to that as unattractive, I find it refreshing.

Many students get off campus when they can. They explore the city's restaurants and shops, and many volunteer and intern in locations outside of campus. The college also offers students plenty of opportunities to explore the city through its bus and transportation system.

For the most part. I mean, there are always exceptions, and mostly everyone is friendly and down to earth. However, these stereotypes come through because the student body feeds into them and supports them. Also, 'unofficial' cliques form, but you can't prevent that.

Yeah, UR has a nerdy feel, but it's more like the chill nerds from high school than the true overachievers. There is a whole range of students, and although we do have the nerds and the frat kids, we've also got a nice, though fairly small progressive community here.

I think this stereotype might actually be true because everyone is so focused on their studies that Gleason is always packed, even on a Friday night. While i think this stereotype is true, i really do not think is a bad thing. i think it makes Rochester unique.