University of Rochester

« See more reviews of University of Rochester

Professors of small classes know my name, but as a pre-med most of my classes have over 150 students so proffesors do not know my name. My favorite class currently is my CAS class because i get to discuss my opinion of shakespear's classic Twlfth night. My least favorite class is my biology class because I feel that the class is taught in an unexciting way and seems to be taught under our level of understanding. Students at Rochester are very focused on their grades but so not seem to be competative with others. I also think the requirements at rochester are amazing because they allow for people like me to double major while being able to enjoy the other social aspects of college.

I've had classes with over 300 other students and classes with only 5. Intro classes are generally large, but as you get more advanced and specialized, that will change. Rochester advertises the fact that all professors are required to do research as well, but it's important to look at this fact from another perspective: all researchers at the University are required to teach. Unfortunately, this rule makes it much more likely that you will have professors who are not meant to teach. I've been at this school two years and have already lost count of the number of professors I've had who, though they are very smart people, cannot teach.

There is such a refreshing amount of freedom in the curriculum at U of R. It truly goes by the philosophy of "Learn what you love; love what you learn." Even as a double-major, the requirements are so flexible that I've been able to explore many areas of interest outside of my majors. Class sizes really depend on the course. Humanities classes tend to be on the smaller side, as are the more upper-level classes. They're usually under 20 people. There are a bunch of bigger lecture courses, too, especially introductory science courses, which have over 100 people in them. So it really depends on what you're taking.

Great. We have an amazing literary classics, biology, writing (who knew), ASL, and political science department. We have great teachers, but that varies. you'll learn who to stay away from and who you MUST take. Education is particular to your major and students are competitive, but will help each other out - at least, in the humanities division. Students do a lot of allnighters and procrastinate in the library, sometimes amping out there, but usually it involves playing video games. Rochester students have dance parties, drunk fests, themed parties, moustache parties...all depending on what group you find.

I have had multiple classes with under twenty students which I think is great, and even in my larger lecture classes (never surpassing 200, which is actually quite a low number) active participation is encouraged. My favorite class right now is definitely my History of the Beatles class which is working toward a cluster in music. The cluster system is awesome because you can take care of requirements while still doing things that actually interest you. The intellectual conversations I have with students outside classes are definitely fulfilling and everyone has something to contribute to everyone else.

The academics of Rochester is definitely among the strongest one could imagine. All the professors are great, and the classes are all mostly enjoyable. The classes are very challenging of course, and the work loads can sometimes be overwhelming. But the school is good at training students to prepare for their future careers in the real world, and the competitions definitely give enough people motivation. Rochester is a school composed mostly of intelligent, serious students who take studying very seriously, and our training often goes beyond what's required of our fields.

There is a mixture of large lecture hall classes where the professors probably don't know your name, and small classes where they definitly will. The vibe on campus is less intelectual and more studious. The nice thing is that the academic requirements are very flexible. There aren't hoops to jump through in order to take most classes unless they are higher level classes. The campus itself is extreemly studious. It's totally common to see people studying at all hours of the night in the study locations on campus which are open 24hrs a day (there are two).

The cluster system is amazing. It lets you explore new and exciting topics. Professors are generally easy to get a hold of. The only exception would be the huge freshman lecture classes, but in those classes you have T.A.s that are more than happy to meet with you. The music department at Rochester is awesome. It's pretty small, but I like it that way because you get to know all the professors really well and they get to know you. Also having the resources at the Eastman school of music is an amazing oppertunity that only Rochester can provide.

Rochester tricks you into thinking you don't have to have any kind of structure to your academics- but you do. And it's a good thing, otherwise I probably would still be taking 4 different courses in 4 different departments each semester. The loose structure allows you to pick your requirements, fulfilling studies in humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. Aside from that, you're going to be hard pressed to find a really superior education to the one you get at UR, from the professors to the courses themselves.

Academics are done well at U of R. There are many sections of the common pre-requisite classes (such as Calc 161), which are expressed in a large classroom format, but most classes are small enough for students to actually be able to interact with the professors. U of R also has only one required class (a freshman writing seminar), and although taking a certain number of classes in various fields is necessary, U of R makes it easy to do, so even freshman can take classes in their major or classes that simply interest them.