University of Rochester

« See more reviews of University of Rochester

I really like the professors at U of R because I feel like they enjoy what they are teaching. They are always enthusiastic, no matter how boring I think the subject is. Most of my classes have been large, too large for a professor to know who I am; but this doesn't really bother me. Studying and reading pretty much takes over your life... It was rare that there was a time when there wasn't something i should be reading. It was manageable though, once you organize your time.

What I love about Rochester is that students can work in a collaborative environment. It is not cutthroat and students do not try to sabotage or manipulate each other when it comes to grades or classes. Students are constantly studying together or helping each other out with assignments and research. We all mutually support each other and want to see each other succeed. I find myself learning even more by working with others than working individually.

Toward the middle of Spring semester I went to my British Literature professor and confessed that I was completely lost in the class and basically had no idea what was going on. She sat down with me once a week and we went over the material, and after a while I started getting higher marks and actually participating in class. Going above and beyond for their students is typical for Rochester professors.

I am pre-med, majoring in either French or Biology. Very time consuming but definitely worth it given Rochester's outstanding science/math reputation. There are also a lot of research/intern opportunities in the labs and at Strong Hospital which is located next to campus. There is only one requirement- a writing class which you get to choose from a wide array of intersting subjects.

When I was first told about Rochester all the tour guides talked about was how the class sizes were so small and the professors were very personable. I have personally only had 1 class that was under 20 students. The rest of my classes are all large lecture halls with 200 plus students.

I only have a few professors that know my name and these are classes in the humanities. If you are a science major, classes are always big and you have to take the initiative to talk to the profs. Classes will consist of you sitting in a lecture and taking notes.

I would say that about half of my professors know my name, especially in the departments where I have taken a lot of classes. You have to study enough at UR, not too much, you can still have a life, but I guess that depends on your major.

to be brief, the classes are above average. Class is class, but lectures on the whole are interesting and pertinent. Most if not all my professors know who I am, and are willing to meet with me whenever I need to.

Academics at Rochester are so versatile. This past semester I took a music class entirely on the Beatles while taking a class on the Crusades to fulfill my writing requirement... your choices are endless!

The curriculum at Rochester is what makes this university so unique. Having no required, general education classes is great! At Rochester it truly is about opportunity and exploring things for yourself.