University of Rochester

« See more reviews of University of Rochester

There's something for everyone socially. There are about 200 clubs although maybe 40 of those are noticeable on campus. There is the greek life party scene that goes strong from thursday through saturday night(probably about 30% of the campus is involved in this on a regular basis). There are academic councils, there are sports-but nobody really comes to Rochester if being an athlete is important to them, it's more like students who really like a sport and maybe played a year or two in high school and decide to play in college because they like it. There are only a few traditions that happen each year like Yellowjacket weekend, Meliora weekend, Winterfest, and D-day. and the only games people go to are basketball although there has been increased attendance at games over the past few years. Most people study during the week and have one night to party during the weekend. Most of the social scene revolves around drinking after 10pm. Before that there are activities and events going on but it's still college. The difference is people just work really really really hard and then let loose like one night a week and drink really really really hard. Only strong, smart, tough students will survive the academic stress. About 10% of students transfer after the first year and a lot of students switch majors.

Plenty of things to do. Interested in something? it's probably there. If you want to drink / party. Thursday - Saturday there's bound for something to happen. Just want to chill? We have two coffee places open at night a Starbucks and a smaller brand coffee place (the smaller one has fruit smoothies...starbucks does not...) Classical music buff? RPO has concerts usually every week. Internationally well known musicians come every year too (Yo-Yo Ma, Ishtak Perlman...etc) Metal? Well there's Waterstreet music hall and they cater to a variety of types of rock. They have a mash pit too if you're into that sort of thing. Plenty of varieties of food at varying prices / quality within 10 minutes from UR. Basically, despite the rumors, there are always things to do if you're willing to look a little bit. That and on a freshman hall, someone's bound to have a PS3 / Xbox360 / Wii if you're feeling lazy. Just make nice to them. Or....find the Rich kid who has the 60 inch plasma HDTV and make nice. =P (Trust me...there's always one...I should know...as a D'lion and Freshman Fellow on move in day we move in all the stuff for the freshman and a 60 inch TV is one of the heaviest things I had to carry.)

A capella is really prevalent here- we have really great groups that are pretty famous and travel all over. Our most popular one is all-male, and is called the Midnight Ramblers. They travel a lot, and have made a ton of CD's. They've also been featured on a lot of random mainstream music. They're amazing. However, all music and theatre is pretty dominant here. There's a really cool artsy vibe in certain circles, and while most require auditions, there's always something for you to do that's true to your passion. The dating scene..... eh, no school has great typical dating. It consists of mostly hookups at frat parties. People here are truly of the opinion that you should study hard, party hard. During the week the scene is pretty dead, but on the weekends frats are very popular. However, if drinking isn't your thing, there's a ton to do on campus, and there are a million people like you. The party scene gets a lot of hype, but it's not like there's nothing else to do on a saturday night.

Some of the most popular student groups on campus are the nationally recognised acapella groups: the Midnight Ramblers, Yellow Jackets. I met most of my friends, through clubs like equestrian club, symphony orchestra and living in the same dorm: and of course, through taking the same classes. Since our campus is very small, I recognised a lot of familiar faces at frat houses and other parties, and was able to strengthen the relationships and friendships through these social events. D-day (Dandelion Day) is one of the most significant days during the academic. This is always the saturday before finals in the Spring semester, where students are all out on the campus grounds, drinking, bonding and saying good luck on exams, and good-byes. Famous musicians and bands throw concerts throughout the day. This is one day you can see students drunk in the day time, on campus.

There are a fair amount of clubs, and I've never tried it but it seems to be relatively easy to form one if you want to. I have done URTV in the past, which is the campus tv station, and that was a lot of fun. There is also a radio station some friends of mine are on, as well as lots of other stuff. Every friday and saturday night there are movies shown in one of the big lecture halls, they are generally pretty good movies, and it's only 2 bucks for a ticket, or you can get a season pass for less than that per movie. Every spring they show the spring porno, where thats exactly what it sounds like. Freshman year it was Pirates XXX and that was hilarious. Athletic events arent that well attended, save for athletes friends generally.

there are a lot of different groups and activities to get involved with and thats really the way that i have found the most friends. like i have said MIF is really my social life and friend group so i can only really speak of the floor that i live on. that being said, everyone on mif leaves their doors open and is in the lounges watching tv, hanging out, playing videogames or doing homework. we have lots of events and traditions through our organization that happen. theres never a boring weekend on MIF and there is always stuff to do or people to hang out with. however, other places people live do not seem to hold the same sense of community as mif especially living places that are not an interest house or a frat/sorority.

Music and theater groups are very present. There's shows a couple times a month on campus. It's easy to get over to Eastman to see the philharmonic. Greek life isn't a huge deal. If you are a part of it it does enhance your social calendar. But if you aren't its not a big deal and most fraternity parties are open anyway. Nobody cares about sports. There's lots of hooking up, not a lot of people date. It's by choice or self imposed social isolation. Most people meet significant others from class or through friends. The bars are fun and are a short drive from campus. There's a lot of sketchy locals so if you are female go in a group. The hard part is finding someone willing to stay sober to drive back.

Frats are huge if you're freshmen or sophomores. After that, they become kind of boring! Basketball is huge here, but football not so much. On freshman halls students leave doors open and interact a lot. Dating scene is fun...but meeting someone usually takes place at frats or parties. Closest friends were from sports teams and working in the gym. If I'm awkae on a Tuesday that late, I MUST have an assignment due! People party Thursdays and Saturdays for sure. Fridays are kind of slow. Off campus is great if you want to eat. Restaurants here are insane. I swear Rochester has more restaurants than anywhere in the world!!

You mean I have to pin it down? People do all sorts of things here -- there are so many, in fact, that during the activities fairs, it's hard to get where you're going through all the people! I personally have been offered a position on a rowing team, a computer science interest club, a belly dancing group (and I'm a guy!) and a video game league. That's without looking -- there's FAR more than just that, and people are making new groups all the time. Parties are common to say the least. They're no unavoidable -- they keep to themselves, really -- but they're not hard to find either. If that's your thing.

There are so many clubs and organizations on campus, and more are forming every semester. I could not tell you which is the most popular. Athletics are not very popular at our school, or at least, few people go to games. There is a Greek scene on campus, but it isn't the only scene. There are also many fraternities and sororities that do not have on-campus housing so are less accessible to students. D'Day is the biggest tradition at UR, and it involves alot of drunk people. I'm not really sure what the original tradition was, but now, it's to wake up at seven in the morning and have a "power hour."