University of Rochester

« See more reviews of University of Rochester

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

That they are all ugly and nerdy, its cold as shit and the food sucks, same with the sports. Being an engineer it seems like my college experience is significantly more difficult then the average student here (econ,poly-sci,psych), who can just float through their classes without much effort or involvement, and then the general classes that I take like chem/bio/physics are massive for such a small school, for example my biochem class last semester was approx 400-500 people, which is just crazy for a school of 4000, and being that large makes not only teaching the material but learning the material difficult.

There are a lot of Jews. They are Cornell rejects. They are loaded with money. The weather is disgusting and gray all the time. Majority of the student is very nice kind people. Your free to take anything you want. Its a small research university with a lot of opportunities. Weather can make you depressed and nearly suicidal.

Some stereotypes about UR is that everyone here is Jewish or Asian....which is not true! Sure, I know a lot of Jewish people and Asians, but it's not a hugely diverse campus as some may think. Also, this school is not only good for people looking to go into medicine. Engineering, philosophy, history, and music are all amazing here.

Generally, Rochester, or UR if you will, is considered very academic. There are a plethora of science majors, and they study a lot. People don't go out a lot, and it is hard to make friends. Just tonight, I met a random person from another school who noted that going Greek was the only chance at a social life at UR.

UR is a first and foremost a science school. We attract all the science geeks that were the last people rejected from the Ivy-League schools. We also have a spillover of the "weird" Eastman students. These are of course from the people who have actually heard of UR.

-People think that Rochester is some sort of SUNY school and think the education is at the same level as SUNY schools. -We're all Ivy Rejects -Rochester's Weather is terrible -Parking is a nightmare

I think the most prevalent stereotype about U of R students is that we are all pre-med, and therefore, Biology majors. Rochester is well-known for having a winter that lasts for six months.

Rochester is stereotyped as being a research school which is somewhat true, but not like you probably envision. Rochester students are stereotyped as nerdy which is also overblown.

Rochester is perceived as crime-ridden and filthy. The students are considered either a workaholic who does nothing but study, or a slacking drunk involved in Greek life.

Very hard working students, very nice people, not competitive, willing to study in groups, work hard, party harder, except when it's cold