University of Rochester

« See more reviews of University of Rochester

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Nerdy, rich, jewish

We're not really big enough to have our own stereotypes, heh. In my experience, there are a lot of fairly well-off and sheltered students here, but also a lot of students who would seem like they belong at some state party school until you realise how intelligent they are. It's a small, selective school, so less-than-intelligent peers are the exception, not the rule, assuming you avoid a few select classes and majors. There's a healthy Greek scene, with the major frats having houses on campus, but it's quite easy to get by in campus social life without pledging; I'm going into my senior year as a non-Greek all the way through, with no regrets. The frats offer a wide range, from traditional drink-and-haze type of frats to some more academically focused or casual frats. There are a bunch that live in other campus dorms or off campus rather than on the frat quad; these ones tend to be a lot more laid back, with less big parties and less rigorous pledging processes.

Rochester is a far and distant land where Winter reigns, and if there is any sun, it pokes its head out for five seconds to laugh at your shivering ass. Don't get me wrong: the fall and summers are beautiful, but the winters are harsh...surprise! That's the majority of the school year. If there is anything true about Rochester students, it is that they study hard, but party harder. At least, kids who aren't international students, premed, biology, or mechanical engineering...wait, that's about 30 percent of the student body... Almost everyone plays an instrument and/or appreciates music, which is a plus. Also, most people are above average intelligence, which is pretty nice. There are many unique characters at Rochester, ranging from chill, accepting, and laid back, to anal librarywhores. Rochester is diverse, if you say 5/8 white, 2/8 chinese, and 1/8 other.

A stereotype of most Rochester students is that we are the rich nerds who couldn't fit into or couldn't get into the Ivy league schools so ended up here as back up. A stereotype about Rochester as a university is that it is a teach yourself sort of atmosphere, and as a research school the professors are there for research and teach only because they have to rather than actual enjoyment or proficiency in teaching students.

I wouldn't say there are any set stereotypes. The freshman can sometimes be very gung ho about going to a "new ivy," walking around in rochester sweatshirts/pants, etc, every day. I would say most Rochester kids are assholes and it's hard to find a few people you can really hang out with every day without wanting to kill yourself.

As Rochester attracts such a diverse group of people, I actually haven't heard any stereotypes. There are plenty of people that go out and party but there are also plenty of people who entertain themselves other ways. Everyone is pretty academically inclined, for the most part.

Everybody is a geek/nerd who works too hard, studies all the time, and doesn't do anything for fun. That we're all straight-A students, graduated at the top of our classes, and have IQs off the charts. That we're all science people who are boring.

Some people think that Rochester students are disconnected from the actual community and city of Rochester. They tend to believe that we are isolated in our own little college world and don't care to venture outside to the city.

We are all kind of nerdy; Rochester is the safety school for Ivy League wannabes. There are tons of math/science people who don't do anything but work and a big population of greek life people who don't do anything but party.

I really never heard of the University of Rochester but I know it is a very elite school so there may be some stereotypes about the people being uptight, aloof, and snobish. It is really cold here in the winter.