University of Rochester

« See more reviews of University of Rochester

I wish I had known more about myself and what I needed to do. About the school, I wish I'd known that its Studio Arts department does not teach traditional art technique. Visual arts are small at this school and taught more abstractly. Wish I'd known that Environmental Sciences are within the same department as Geology. Wish I'd known that Environmental Studies is much less structured and therefore less favorable than Environmental Science. I wish Environmental Studies wasn't even an option.

I wish I would have known that for this school a person needs to have as much experience from high school as possible, like having joined as most extracurricular activities as possible, taken advantage of all there is offered and that you kind of have to do it all yourself. I wish I would have been more independent during high school but of course it all depends on the way you were raised, but it helps in this school. Taking AP classes really is necessary and will help a lot.

Before attending college, I wish I had been told that every obstacle in college is a challenge to prepare and strengthen me for life after college. A student who does not experience academic or social obstacles will not get the most out of college. Overcoming obstacles is an essential experience that one needs to experience in life in order to develop personally and mentally.

How close to an airport it was. I was really worried about not getting home from upstate NY, so I almost went to school closer to home (NC). The campus is a 5min ride to the airport, and the school runs shuttles. Its also a $10 cab ride to the airport or train station. Getting home couldn't be any easier.

I wish there hab been more information about the clubs on campus. Once you arrived, getting information was relatively easy, but being able to have that information ahead of time would have been extremely helpful in planning out my first year.

I wish I would've known how hard it would be to get off campus because at times the transportation was unreliable and I just had too much work to do to even think about going off of campus.

I wish I'd known what a prominent role Greek life has on campus. The percentage of people directly involved with sororities and fraternities does not include people who go to their events.

I wish I would have known more about how much time is spent doing schoolwork. It varies from one major to the next--my major, political science, has a lot more reading than I anticipated.

Being involved makes life a lot more fun and helps you meet people Don't live with someone with a different sleep schedule than you. I go to bed at the same time my roommate wakes up!

I wish I had known that it was an incredibly religious school; however, the people here are quite tolerant of learning about religions that they do not know about.