University of Rochester Top Questions

Ling

I wish I had known more about myself and what I needed to do. About the school, I wish I'd known that its Studio Arts department does not teach traditional art technique. Visual arts are small at this school and taught more abstractly. Wish I'd known that Environmental Sciences are within the same department as Geology. Wish I'd known that Environmental Studies is much less structured and therefore less favorable than Environmental Science. I wish Environmental Studies wasn't even an option.

Devine

I wish I knew the size of the school then before attending.

Jalon

Extent of opportunities for my particular field of interest and also the quality of surrounding city

Calvin

Before attending college, I wish I had been told that every obstacle in college is a challenge to prepare and strengthen me for life after college. A student who does not experience academic or social obstacles will not get the most out of college. Overcoming obstacles is an essential experience that one needs to experience in life in order to develop personally and mentally.

Donna

I wish I had known that it was an incredibly religious school; however, the people here are quite tolerant of learning about religions that they do not know about.

Jillian

I wish I would've known how hard it would be to get off campus because at times the transportation was unreliable and I just had too much work to do to even think about going off of campus.

Arielle

The social life revolves mostly around Greek life.

Sasami

That it gets so hot in Rochester, NY near and during summer time.

Claudia

I wish I would have known more about how much time is spent doing schoolwork. It varies from one major to the next--my major, political science, has a lot more reading than I anticipated.

Andrea

Being involved makes life a lot more fun and helps you meet people Don't live with someone with a different sleep schedule than you. I go to bed at the same time my roommate wakes up!

Alexandra

How hard teachers grade essay exams.

Lilly

How close to an airport it was. I was really worried about not getting home from upstate NY, so I almost went to school closer to home (NC). The campus is a 5min ride to the airport, and the school runs shuttles. Its also a $10 cab ride to the airport or train station. Getting home couldn't be any easier.

I wish I'd known what a prominent role Greek life has on campus. The percentage of people directly involved with sororities and fraternities does not include people who go to their events.

Greg

I wish there hab been more information about the clubs on campus. Once you arrived, getting information was relatively easy, but being able to have that information ahead of time would have been extremely helpful in planning out my first year.

Maya

How to manage my time better, and how to study for different kinds of classes

Sofia

That some professors care more about their research than teaching.

Aditi

The weather up here in Rochester isn't too great. But it really makes you appreciate those few sunny days.

Leana

the lack of public transportation can be frustrating

Marlenny

I wish I would have known that for this school a person needs to have as much experience from high school as possible, like having joined as most extracurricular activities as possible, taken advantage of all there is offered and that you kind of have to do it all yourself. I wish I would have been more independent during high school but of course it all depends on the way you were raised, but it helps in this school. Taking AP classes really is necessary and will help a lot.

Spencer

How to better manage a heavy, demanding workload.

The food really isn't that great. Also everyone is extrmely serious about thier academics.

Katherine

High crime area. Heavily focused on research/theory.

Suhaniya

get to know campus life a bit before classes start so you dont miss out