University of Rochester Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Rochester

Lexa

The Eastman School of Music is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. It was pricey when I was there and now room board and tuition are approaching $80, 000 a year. I would recommend anyone applying for a performance degree to do your homework and research on what Eastman graduates are doing professionally and who’s studios they come from. I transferred out of Eastman after my sophomore year for a number of reasons. The TA of my studio told me that the Dean of the School was putting lots of pressure on faculty to accept students who were not really musically skilled or talented but whose parents were rich and could either pay full tuition or a large percentage of it. This disgusted me but didn’t really surprise me. Among my classmates there were some isolated inspiring musicians but also a lot who I did not respect. It’s a mixed bag; a few of the studios have somewhat of a good track record in career placement but many of them do not. Unfortunately that was the case with my studio. I was interested in getting training to be a performer and sadly after getting to Eastman I found out that not that many people who had graduated from my studio were actually getting jobs. When I heard how much some of my classmates were paying in student loans after graduating it shocked me. Before applying to Eastman make sure to do your research because depending on what instrument you play and what teacher you get you may not have much of a chance at actually getting the training you’ll need to get a job as a performer and you may be facing a mountain of debt after you get out. The school will not tell you this up front because they have put their price tag so high that they really are more concerned about getting your money than how your career will turn out.

Chelsea

A great school academically, but could work on advocating for their marginalized students and actively listening to their requests. A lot of the professors are also white, which I think might turn a lot of minorities away. Students are more inclined to participate in activities and certain majors where they can visualize someone who looks like them. This is why representation has always mattered.

Meagan

University of Rochester has a culture that is primarily based on academics. However, it is not a competitive environment, and students are always supportive and helpful. The classes are rigorous but doable if you put the time and effort in. Most of the professors are very friendly and accessible outside of class if you attend office hours. The dorms are pretty typical, there's nothing special or bad about them.

Alma

I love the environment and sense of home around here. Orientation was so much fun! People are for the most part really nice! There are always activities going on that give me a sense of belonging! This morning the dining hall worker asked me to smile because I would sure see better days! The other day a librarian greeted me and wished me luck on my studying! It's really great to talk to advisers, upperclassmen, professors, and alumni about my track, because they are so positive and will stand by this school no matter what! UR home:)

Grace

The University of Rochester is a top-tier research university and ranks within the Top 30 in the United States on a consistent basis. The academic programs cannot be beaten. Just this spring semester alone, I have taken classes with a Grammy Award-winning Audio Engineer, a multi-published professor who constantly fights for the higher-education of formerly incarcerated persons, and a seasoned professional actress. The study spaces on campus have the highest level of technology readily available for student use. The food is fantastic, for the most part, but can difficult for those with dietary restrictions. My freshman dorm was conveniently located on campus and included both a campus market and a dining hall on the first floor. The majority of students are highly motivated academically, yet still find time to join music ensembles, club sports, theatrical productions, and Greek Life. The University of Rochester could definitely do better in terms of financial aid offerings vs. the cost of attendance. As a middle-class student, it has been a very large hit, and was something that was nearly the deciding factor in my college decision. While it is still a challenge, I have been working both on-campus during the semesters, and at home during breaks in order to put myself in the best place financially upon graduating.

Toni Anne

I really enjoy it here! The food is much better (usually) then I have had at other schools when visiting, both as a perspective student and visiting friends. The academics are obviously top-notch which was a big part of why I came here, and I really appreciate having the medical center so close to campus allowing for internships and practical research experience.

Joseph

As a freshman, I really like the college so far. I have met a ton of dedicated professor who was willing to help. Also, the open curriculum really drew me in with that choice that is different from what I have seen other colleges. Also the services they have for campus are amazing and always willing to lend a hand.

Genessis

University of Rochester is a welcoming campus with great and rigorous academics. The students here are all in for learning nothing but the best. Everyone is super friendly and eager to help you if they can. The area surrounding campus can be sometimes questionable but thats around every college campus. The academics here are often compared to that of a top tier college and this college is one of the most welcoming student bodies I have ever met. I am so excited for my next years here!

The University of Rochester attracts a large group of academically-focused individuals. The undergraduate students spend many hours in the library studying for their difficult courses, but still manage to get involved in some of the many extracurricular activities that the school has to offer. The student population tends to be very involved in the arts, getting involved in the many performing arts clubs on campus. There are clubs and organizations for diverse interests, whether you are interested in finance, political science, debate, or engineering. Although we have varsity sports, watching sporting events is not a high priority unless you are supporting a friend. We have many intramural sports clubs though. The College of Arts & Sciences offers a diverse curriculum that allows students time in their schedule to explore multiple interests. Instead of requiring general education courses, the College requires you to take courses in three areas: Humanities, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences and Engineering. One academic area is satisfied by your major. The other two areas may be satisfied by an additional major, a minor, or a cluster. Clusters are a subset of courses that satisfy your studies in that area and are typically made up of three or four courses. These credit hours and the flexible scheduling allows you to try out whatever courses and areas of interest you desire. The College is one small portion of the University of Rochester, as it also includes the Eastman School of Music, multiple graduate schools, and the University of Rochester Medical Center. The immense size of the university provides a wide variety of opportunities for students to take advantage of. However, a University of Rochester education comes at a very high price with very little financial aid available. Looking for outside scholarships is definitely a great idea if this is a school you are really considering! My advice in looking at the University of Rochester is to visit and tour the school! The best way to get a feel for the school is to actual visit and talk to the students. There is a pretty diverse population of students so you are bound to find a great group of friends either way, but it is a good idea to come and see if you can picture yourself going to school there for four years. There's nothing better than in-person experience!

Rodrigo

University of Rochester is the type of place where you can do whatever you want without being judged. The variety of students there is unbelievable. You can find literally every type of student: from the guy who never leaves the library to the frat bro who parties every day, from the most athletic guy to someone who has never been in a gym. It is this diversity that makes the University of Rochester such an awesome place to study. You have access to every point of view that you could ever imagine. I cannot think of a better way to grow as a human being than being surrounded by such a variety of people.

Mika

Overall, my experience at the University of Rochester has been absolutely incredible. The academics are beyond this world and it's amazing to finally feel like I have found the place where I belong. It is a community of students and professors that encourage each other to grow and strive to the best of our abilities. There are several groups on campus for students to get involved with allow for students to continue their passions, as well as continue to make the campus "ever better".

Adam

I love the school and the entire atmosphere. There are definitely improvements that can be made. Some departments try to weed out students by placing in bad teachers, the food is often very similar making it pretty monotonous, and there is sometimes not much to do outside of clubs, but the overall experience is really good and the students are very friendly and intelligent and interesting.

Dalanie

I love it! It's my dream school. I attend the Eastman School of Music, the renowned music school at the University of Rochester. In my time at Eastman, I would definitely want to pursue a further education of African American History. The courses within this major also cover the elements of music, art, religion, and oppression of the black community extensively. Social justice, awareness, and familiarity with my culture are all things that are extremely important to me, and studying them alongside music would help me grow into a well-rounded, compassionate, and intellectual person.

Alec

I love this school. It's a good size and easy to get around. No bikes or buses are required to get to classes (except those in the school of music) and the campus is nice. All of the professors I've had so far have been great and I've made a lot of good friends.

Kristie

University of Rochester has a wide array of academic courses ranging from the arts to the most technical sciences. Similarly, the campus life is diverse with people from around the globe and extracurricular activities to please everyone. Although it is not the largest university, it offers Greek life, division three sports teams and a plethora of musical and other artistic outlets.

The University of Rochester's main appeal is being a college with the excellent academics without a core curriculum. It is both positive and negative, but it is what most people say when asked what drew them to the UofR. But, while the education is great, the social life is dull. I'm a big basketball fan and the sports and school spirit is nonexistent on campus. No one goes to any games and I feel completely on the outs when March Madness comes around - no one cares about sports or school spirit.

Nia

It's a fruitful school with enlightening academics, reat orgs, but the social connections are a little hard to meet if you don't fit the groups that are on campus. It is a little full of cliques but there are so many ways to participate that everyone should find a set of people that they share interests with

Adam

The school is a very nice place. I am a current sophomore at the school and I love it. There are so many opportunities at this school. It's a smallish-medium sized school so it's a pretty close-knit community. The school is located on the outskirts of the city. Most events happen on campus where most of the students spend a majority of their time. The amount of research that goes on in this school is extraordinary. You will find something that you like no matter what field you're studying.

Haley

The University of Rochester is everything I hoped it would be and more. I chose Rochester because of the medium amount of students, the prevalence of undergraduate research, the rigorous academics, the NOT-cutthroat atmosphere, and the beautiful location. I have had such a great experience so far, the atmosphere is collaborative and supportive, the professors are accessible and caring, the weather is exciting, and, importantly, the food is amazing! I've been blown away by the eating options here, which suit at least my needs and desires very well! If you're nerdy, interested in research, love the snow, and love learning, the University of Rochester is the place for you!

Imani

The University of Rochester is the place to be if you are interested in making friends, memories, having fun, all while learning new and interesting things every day. There is always something interesting happening on campus. The wide selection of clubs and organizations make it easy for students to find there place, find out who they are, make friends, or just have a good fun time. The professors are always there to help and if by any chance they cant help there are other resources on campus to get you the help you need (i.e. tutoring, teaching assistants and students in the class). The campus is incredibly safe with our Public Safety officers always around to help, if not there blue light phones all around campus to alert them immediately if you do need help. Health is a big deal on this campus whether it be mental, physical, emotional or sexual. Our campus also has many safe spaces around campus for students who feel they need them. There are a variety of other resources not mentioned which can be found on the universities webpage! I would recommend this school to anyone who wants to have a home away from home.

To say the University of Rochester is an excellent school would be an understatement. The motto of the university is “meliora” meaning “ever better”. According to the university, this is more than just a motto; it is a way of life. The university, its professors, and its students never settle. Instead, they work hard to make the university, the community, and themselves better. The school strives to be the best that it can be and I truly believe it succeeds. With and top-notch professors, over 200 academic majors, and a diverse community, I give this university an A+. All of my professors at the University of Rochester have inspired me, encouraged me, challenged me, and believed in me. Each and every professor is qualified and immensely passionate about the subjects they are teaching. They have all created a warm and comfortable learning environment that encourages students to participate, ask questions, work together, and get to know one another. If a student is having a difficult time understanding something, the professors will do everything they can to help. Their office doors are always open. With a variety of majors to choose from and an open curriculum, students have much freedom and control over what they wish to study at the University of Rochester. Instead of general education requirements, the school requires one writing class and one cluster in a subject area outside of one’s major. This means that students are not forced to take (and pay for!) a bunch of classes that they do not want to take. It gives students the opportunity to focus on their passions and put their time and energy into classes they love and enjoy. This helps student receive higher grades and excel in their fields. According to the university, about 45 percent of students double major. There are even many students that double minor or triple major. This makes students open to more fields and more job opportunities. There is nothing better than being immersed in a community that values diversity, language, and culture. The school is located in Rochester, which is home to a huge Deaf community. It is so special and wonderful to study and live in an area so rich in language and culture. As student studying American Sign Language, I had the opportunity to attend many community events and practice my signing outside of the classroom. This experience is unlike one that any other school can offer. The University of Rochester has made me a better person. While learning a beautiful language, I was introduced to a new culture, I made lifelong friends, and amazing professors inspired me. The professors, community, and open curriculum have helped me to be a better version of myself. I am now ready to make the world ever better

Alexander

Do not go here for electrical and computer engineering. You will learn nothing. The program is insufferably dumbed down; it is a wonder how it stays accredited. Dorms and food are sub-par. Professors care more about their research than teaching. Most students are uninterested, and it isn't hard to understand why. I feel like I was tricked into attending this university as the school has a good reputation. Now, I wish I had gone literally anywhere else. I have friends who went to community college and they learned far more in their engineering class than I have in three years here.

ciara

The nursing program U of R is one of the best programs I have ever had the pleasure of being apart of. The professors and admissions staff truly care about the students, they do everything possibly to help. The classes and the way we are taught is truly amazing, they teach you who to be prepared for every possibility. It's truly a place where you can lean on your fellow students and create a bond with them. U of R is school would recommend to anyone.

Suet

The most attractive factors about UR are its rigorous academics and open curriculum. It's amazing how many students here double or triple majors because the curriculum allows them to. This may help bring ease to some students who are worried about what they want to do in the future because the open curriculum allows them to embrace that uncertainty and passion for learning. Also, the student body tends toward collaboration over cutthroat competition, which makes a positive difference on the whole college experience and the relationships we build. Beyond classroom academics, UR provides numerous opportunities that enhance the learning environment so that there are ways to challenge each student no matter what academic background they are coming from. There are research opportunities for the ones who know what they want and accessible faculty who can serve as mentors for the ones who need a bit of guidance. Even though this is a research university--and sometimes during the large lecture classes the professors seem indifferent to teaching--most of the time they are available for extra help if students care enough to reach out to them during office hours, and they are almost always eager to know those students who want to learn more. One of the drawbacks to this school is how isolated it is from the community. In the midst of dark, snowy winters and seemingly endless mid-semester work, students don't really find a reason to get off campus. There can be a disconnect from the surrounding community for those who don't bother to venture off campus, and that's a loss of possible opportunities to learn from and contribute to the city of Rochester; however, the opportunities are definitely there for ones who value that type of engagement. Also, this school is well-known for some of its STEM departments, so there are many STEM majors, but humanities majors may seem to lack presence. While there may be occasional political conversations here or there, there isn't much political activism or sense of urgency to prepare ourselves to be politically aware and involved adults. The school prides itself in its open curriculum, but it's easy for certain majors to become isolated in some aspects and neglect the importance of politics or arts while being drowned in the rigorous curriculum and their own mindset for what they deem as necessary knowledge for the real world.

The University of Rochester is an amazing school with many different opportunities. Here at this school, students have the change meet people from different backgrounds, places, and learn something new about the world everyday. I have no regrets coming to this school because I have met the best people: kind, funny, smart- and we all have learned so many things this new semester.

Naomi

Overall the University of Rochester is a good school. The professors are accessible and they actually care whether or not their students understand the material. On the other side of this, tests are difficult, but if you look for help you can find it

Nabila M.

I personally love the U of R. The curriculum is quite flexible, which helps students determine which academic path they will pursue. Also, there are tons of extracurricular activities to get involved. Faculty is very available and open to talking to students.

Robert

I cannot wait to attend and I am super excited about attending next semester. Another thing I am excited about is the proximity of close cities where you never feel like you're too far away from a new city. Also the environment is just so welcoming.

Tyrone O.

It is definitely the university of my dreams. I would not be in a better place. I feel very comfortable being here and I fully recommend this college to anybody. The intellectual environment is something that makes it very unique. You won’t feel bored at any time. There’s always something to do out there! In fact, living in a city in which every place is so close is a good advantage.

Anchor

I think the University is great academically. Most people are really kind and welcoming. The food in this university is sadly not the best and could probably use more options. In terms of Greek life, there is a good amount of students who are actively involved. The are various clubs or organizations you can join to make your experience a memorable one.

Emma

The University of Rochester, home to the Nipple of Knowledge. This might seem like a strange thing to be known for but we have an incredibly library for anyone, from quiet to social. This University offers a wide range of academic opportunities including the availability to take classes at the medical school as an undergraduate student as well as the world renowned Eastman School of Music located a few miles down the road. This University has research available to all students, even undergraduates and has a comprehensive learning environment. One of minor pitfalls of this University would be the food, but theres a Wegamans close by so no need to panic. Overall this is a pretty great school with some pretty great people.

Katherine

I am a student of the Eastman school of Music, at the University of Rochester, which is technically different. We do have access to classes and food and facilities of UR, but we primarily live and go to school at a separate school. The UR has lots of very nice facilities and good food, but Eastman is lacking. It is so expensive and the food/living situations are less than ideal. It's an amazing music program that I am happy to be part of, but I find it hard to be happy with my surroundings.

Paige

The school and its associated opportunities are amazing! There are so many things going on all the time its borderline impossible to go to them all-from concerts to sports games to bake sales. The music on the River campus is really amazing, and students have access to courses over at the Eastman School of Music as well. The transportation system at the University provides access to various shopping sites on the weekend and a direct line to the College town if it's too cold to walk. I honestly couldn't have been lucky enough to attend this University and I love it so much.

Eugene

The University of Rochester is a great place to attend. This is my second year living on campus and I have had great experiences. I love the organization, the professors and the dynamics of student interaction. I would love to see more diversity.

Kyle

I haven't explored enough, but I would rather go to a different school with a better engineering program. This is a good place for academics only - especially if you are looking towards pre-med. I never expected such few things to do here in upstate NY. It gets cold, the city is more dangerous than most (found out later on), and we aren't a party school or have much spirit for sports. You want education, you get education.

Danielle

On the first day of college I knew not a single other person on campus, I was so scared, I even got lost trying to find my way back to my room from the bathroom. And yet now I couldn’t image going back. I’ve made so many good friends, found new passions by accidently signing up for clubs, and found all sorts of new strengths and weaknesses. I love U of R and could imagine who I would have been had I not gone here.

Maryfrances

The University of Rochester has a beautiful campus. Once you step in, you are instantly blown away by its beautiful architecture and plant life. Though the campus has some useful on-campus facilities such as ample food places, a grocery store, a bank, a religious center and a mail center, it is located quite a ways away from others like the supermarket or the movie theater. However, shuttles that are quite convenient arrive on time at different intervals during the day to ship you to your location. In addition, U of R students get coupons for taxis! The on-campus housing is quite nice, especially that of the first-years. The rooms are bigger than you'd expect, and close to campus with in-building facilities available for use. No matter where you end up, every student is a die-hard fan of their own dorm. Student life differs from student to student. Some are hard-core party-ers, and there is no shortage of frat parties and get-togethers available on campus every weekend. Others prefer sports or arts organizations, and there is no shortage of those either. For those who prefer to study all night long, the libraries are open through the wee-hours of the morning, and there's always someone available to assist you. The food is quite literally gourmet and the people on campus are just wonderful and accepting. Not only are you sure to find students who share your interests, or even those who oppose you, the University's high international student population means that there are students from around the world who are very friendly and willing to get to know you and share their culture with you. And of course, the academic life is just fantastic! If you have a class or skill you've always wanted to take/learn, chances are the U of R can help! You aren't required to take the useless prerequisites most colleges force you to take, and you can jump right into the courses for your major! If you haven't decided on your major, the U of R can help there as well, and you can explore your many options through the College of Arts and Sciences. Your schedule can be very flexible, and your teachers and TAs are always willing to help. If you need further help, there are three different tutoring organizations on campus, as well as other groups that help with papers and career and interview preparation. The University of Rochester also makes many academic opportunities such as research and internships available to students starting from the very first year. I love being a student at this school, but it does have its downsides. For one, this school is very expensive, and tuition goes up every semester while your financial aid goes down because, like many universities in recent years, U of R seems to be a bit more focused on construction that it should be. Also, if you don't like snow, you will hate the weather. But overall, this is a place worth visiting at least once.

T

As someone who is looking to finish a degree a bit faster than usual, it's tough dealing with the administration. They're not very flexible and you have to petition to do anything unusual. But if you're looking for that full, four-year college experience this is a good place.

Lily

Truthfully, I cannot imagine myself at any other college. The University of Rochester has the kind of environment where you feel like you fit right in, but there's such a diverse and exciting group of students who all bring in so many new experiences and worldviews that things never get boring. Students are very academically driven, and I mean this in the best way possible. People here are genuinely excited about learning, and it drives you to get excited, too. The people here are genuinely supportive of you and your academics; I rarely feel like there's "competition." You feel more motivated by the sheer interest and excitement you get out of learning new things and getting to share it with others, while hearing about what they're learning about as well!

Lianna

University of Rochester is a great university for those who are looking to be academically focused, but not exist in a constantly-cutthroat environment. Every student here is intelligent, hardworking, and happy to help you in whatever capacity he/she can. It is an school and atmosphere which inspires me to be better. Plus, the party scene is pretty decent -- there's usually something happening on campus, but there's no pressure to partake if that's not your thing.

Tayfun

The rooms are quite large, and some of the newer buildings have sinks and mirrors in each room (even for some lucky freshman). However Residential Life Office is sometimes difficult to work with for any special cases. The food can get tiring... Nothing to boast of. Academics--likely the most important factor--are no joke. Nearly all my classes have been challenging and stimulating with many nice professors. There is a wide array of courses offered--check it out on https://cdcs.ur.rochester.edu/

Asia

Greta school academically. There are a lot of resources available to all of the university's students, its just a matter of using them. The campus is like a bubble, but it is possible to get out into the city. There is not much to do unless you know people, but you find creative ways to keep yourself entertained when you aren't studying which satisfies that itch.

Keyme

he U of R also gave me important life skills such as advocating for myself and being aware of the people and my surroundings. My favorite part about my summer was taking the Audio engineering class because I learned how to create mixtapes for my own music as if I was a producer in a studio working with an artist. I also enjoyed the Medical Mystery class because I learned how to do CPR, do stitches on a banana and I Learned how to assess how critical a person is if there was any kind of accident or danger. These are skills that are helping me to become a better person who has discovered a new interest that I never thought I would be interested in. Thanks to this opportunity I learned what I am looking for in a college and what I can expect during my college career.

Julianna

Overall, Rochester is a good school. There are always activities on campus, and there are great opportunities for tutoring and learning outside of class. My main critiques are that the bigger and better dining hall is closed on the weekends, and some of the dorms aren't ideal.

Ellen

University of Rochester was the perfect choice for me - I couldn't have been happier. The atmosphere positively oozed with dedication to learning and achievement. My fellow students were all fellow bookworms and nerds who also loved to have fun and be social. My professors were invested in my development as a writer, researcher, and student and I constantly felt as though I was improving and working towards becoming a well rounded citizen of the world.

Margaret

The University of Rochester was not a college that I was completely impressed with. While it had adequate academics, the University felt very insular and not community-focused, unlike other schools who seek to benefit the communities in which they reside. There have been prominent sexual-harassment cases against graduate students recently, which cast a long shadow over the administration of the University, with them at odds with their faculty. This is one of the biggest reasons to really make sure you want to go there over somewhere else.

Olufemi

I graduated from University of Rochester in 2013 and I had a wonderful educational and extra curricular experience. I was able to create my own major and study things that set me up for a career journey that has been anything but mundane. As well as with extra curricular experiences that have allowed for me to be prepared for experiences in my professional personal life that were invaluable and I could have never learned in a classroom.

Rodney

Its overall a great school, I was apart of the Eastman summer camp and it was a amazing time. I would have loved if there was more diversity. I believe its important to be around or see people who are your race. The lack of diversity is what's making me ponder on whether i should apply or not. Other than that, the faculty is outstanding.

Rusama

My freshman year at UofR has been extremely enriching and fulfilling. I've met people from all walks of life and had the opportunity to be exposed to an amazing network of alumni and professors. I enjoy living on campus, even though the Rochester area isn't the most vibrant, yet the campus life keeps you busy enough.