University of Saint Francis-Fort Wayne Top Questions

I would tell my high school senior self to apply for more scholarships and talk to my counsler about schools that would best fit me. I do love my school but getting away from home would have been nice.

michael

If I could go back 2 years and talk to myself as I was entering my senior year in high school I would encourage myself to seek out as many scholarship opportunities as possible to help cover the cost of my education at the University of Saint Francis. Even though I have recieved some financial assistance I can see now that the cost of my undergraduate education is a burden on my family. I would also encourage myself to become involved with campus life as soon as I started my freshman year. I would tell myself to go to football games and join a club or two so that I would begin to feel a part of the campus community as quickly as possible. I would tell myself to make a study schedule and stick to it so that I could continue the same academic success I had in high school. I would tell myself to relax and not stress out about living in the dorm. I think that the advice I would give myself would help make the transition from high school to college life less stressful and a lot more fun.

Heidi

I would tell myself to try to get a degree in something that has job security. To make sure to keep up with assignments and don't wait until the last minute. It is a heck of a lot less stressful if you are not trying to get something done the night before it is due. Also to keep up on studying. Don't learn something for a test and then forget about it. It will come back to haunt you during finals. Study in small bits of time like 20 mins. to a half hour several times during the week instead of 3 hours before the test. You absorb a lot more information that way. The main thing is to relax and have fun. Getting to stress out never helps anything.

natalie

I would go back in time and tell myself to apply myself more so i could have got all A's and i would tell myself to study alot more. I got to college and did not really know how to study efficiently. Even though i got mostly A's and B's in high school i should have put more effort into not just passing my classes but actually learning the material and getting all A's. If my grades would have been outstanding i would have been able to recieve more scholarships or even more financial assistance.

During college I was able to experience being a collegiate athlete at a major division one university while being a student. My experiences taught me that time management, perserverance, dedication to a common and individual goals, and growing into your own skin are what made me the person I am. I became a Kansas Jayhawk and will forever remember the day I was able to walk down our gorgeous campinile hill alongside my closest friends and said "I did it!" As I venture out into the work force, I am able to share that Jayhawk mentality with other KU alumni across the country and can say that my college degree has set me above others based upon my determination to succeed. My undergraduate degree has encouraged me to follow my dreams of becoming a dentist, and I plan to pursue those dreams based upon the ground work that was laid while I attend the Univerity of Kansas. My college degree showed me that confidence is attained through hard work and dedication and I can hardly wait to become a dentist! and say "I did it...again!"

Tomica

In high school I had the misconception that the counselors were only available for students that maybe had promblems or wanted a summer job, not a life plan. For me being back in school after a few years off, I was scared and overwhelmed at times. I quickly learned that the "Counselors" and the breif one on one time you get when entering the community college was not enough. First thing I will never forget is "what is ACCREDITATION ? why is it so important? How important it is to talk with a counserlor and any other support on campus? Very! You should as offent as you can just to make sure you take on track with your goals. Talk up if you don't understand what's going. Don't be scared to change your mind (Major) it's you life! It's a lot easier if you have a support team when you start but; if not, don't let that discourage you. You sure to build many if you open to group projects and the host of different clubs/ groups that you can also find in most colleges. I learned what credits I need to complete my goals!

sheena

I learned a lot about myself, who I am, who I want to be, and why. I have recieved a lot of hands on experiece attending Brown Mackie College which has given me a great appretiation for the education field. There is an old Native American saying "Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand." I could not say it better myself. This is what I want to bring to my classroom when I become a teacher. I'd like to incorportate Montessori teaching with main stream education.

Thus far, I have gained more confidence in my abilities and myself since I have been at college. While in high school I was afraid to go to college because I did not think I would be able to make the lifestyle change or keep up with the fast pace of college. However, I adapted quickly to college life. I became much better at managing my time, finishing projects and papers on time, putting myself out there to meet people, and speaking in front of large groups of people. By living on campus, I have also had the chance to learn how to live on my own which has helped me grow as a person. I have become more self-reliant too through living on campus. I no longer have my mom to tell me to do homework or to help me with projects; it is all up to me now. The University of Saint Francis has also exposed me to many new experiences and ideas. For example, before attending here, I did not know much about religion and I never had the opportunity to do activities such as working with people who have special needs and doing community service.

Through my college experience I realize the importance of completing what I started. This includes a method of self-determination and perseverence. Anything worth having is worth working hard for and one does not realize what they have given up until it is no longer a part of their lives. I first attended college as it was meant to be, fresh out of high school. I spent too much time exploring the social aspect of school and not enough time was invested in the educational aspect. The second time around I try and take advantage of the full experince including study groups and teachers office hours. Many traditional students have shown me they appreciate the wisdom and experience of a veteran like myself and through them I have learned to gain full usage of what a good education will do for me. A college education is also valuable in the it affords the person ample opportunities in life more than that of a person without a degree of education. In this day and time we need as much of an opportunity as we can get.

Value people. As a high school senior, you were the student everyone knew. You helped direct each school play; you established and led your own Bible study; you were the valedictorian whom everyone came to for homework help. You weren't popular, but people liked you. In college, no one will know your reputation. You can't afford to demand your old spotlight. Let that light shine on others. You will want attention. You will want to feel loved. Don't worry - that will come. Realize that other people want to be loved, too. Everything isn't about you, despite what you'd like to think. While it's human nature to want to be accepted, that desire should never supercede the duty to care for others. Being human is about being part of a web that accepts each member's shortcomings and rejoices in their triumphs. Being more focused on receiving love than giving it isn't part of human nature. It goes against it. It's anti-human. It's being out of touch with the web. Let people know they matter. Let people know you care. Value people, and the rest will fall into place.

If I went back in time as a high school senior I would have tried to achieve better grades. I know if i would have had better grades, I would have gotten more scholorships to help with school. I would have started at Saint Francis to begin with instead of trying to go though ivy tech. I would have told myself that if i went to the more expensive school i could have gotten my degree by now, instead of still trying to get it and still trying to pay for school all on my own. I wish I would have told myself to use my scholarships that I had gotten from high school at saint francis instead of ivy tech. If i can get more scholarships this will help me become a nurse to make a difference in this world.

Ashleigh

With one semester of college under my belt, I have an understanding of what college is all about and the differences between high school and college. If I could have given myself advice as a high school senior going in to college, I would focus on paying attention and writing things down. I learned the hard way to write down deadlines and take notes about what is expected. By simply keeping a planner, I was able to better keep track of assignments, mini deadlines, and final deadlines that would otherwise slip my mind. With four to six classes at a time, some for almost three hours, a college student does a lot of work in a short amount of time. It is hard to remember every detail of an assignment, and the professor may not be right there when you decide to finally start working on it. By taking notes, keeping a planner, and staying on top of deadlines, college goes much more smoothly. Starting these habits from the first day of class is a good habit to get in to and will pay off when it comes time for finals.

Meghann

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would be sure that I have good study habits and a good foundation for beginning my college career. In college, it is very important that one has the skills needed to be successful, which include the ability to take good notes, discipline, memorization skills, and basic competencies. It is essential to be able to take good notes because classes aren't daily and the lecture is the only communication with the professor about the criteria being learned. One must have the self-discipline to take the time away from social life or other interferring activities and study in order to learn the material required in the course. It is more important in college to be prepared for tests because they are a more major part of the grade. Practicing memorization will be helpful because in college, there are many things that one has to remember and be held accountable for. It is also important to have a good foundation in basic competencies because college is the time to build on what one already knows.

Dear Laura, You probably don?t want to listen to me. You think you know everything and that you are ready to start college now. You are wrong. Follow my advice and you will have a much better first semester than I did. Piece of well-meant advice #1: Private colleges are no better than public ones; they just cost more. Apply for at least one state school and seriously consider attending. #2: Slow down! Not every aspect of high school is reprehensible. Enjoy being with family and friends. They will soon be miles away. Stop making countdowns to the end of the year. You will drive yourself insane. #3: Sign up for an admissions interview. If you do, you will have a chance at a scholarship twice as large as you will receive otherwise. #4: When you get to college, don?t sit with the same group of people for every meal. Don?t sit next to the same people in class every day. You?re more likely to make friends if you spend time with a greater variety of people. Sincerely, Me (P.S. If you make a mistake, it?s not too late to try again.)

If i could go back in time to give myself advice i would tell my self to prepare more than i did. I would tell my self to register for my class early so i didnt end up having trouble filling my full time student status agian. Also i would tell my self to go meet my professors so i would be a little more prepared for classes to start.

Kasey

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to never give up. Never allow anyone else to tell me that I am incapable of living up to my dreams. I would tell myself to trust my heart and reach for the stars because I CAN do it. I would also say to go to the school I wanted (the University of Saint Francis) right out of high school instead of being so afraid. Anything is possible if you just believe in yourself. Do not let negativity influence you! Being the bigger person will really pay off in the end. You ARE worth the world and you CAN achieve anything. Just don't give up. Ever.

Christi

Don't let trying to have a social life get in the way of obtaining a good education. Meeting people and making friends is all part of the college experience. Having extra curricular activities is part of that as well, but when it takes over your life and becomes more important than your education, you have a problem. Go, if you so desire, and have fun, but keep in mind the reason you are there in the first place. If you don't know what you want to do in life, then don't go to college just because your parents want you to go. Your focus will not be in getting that coveted degree. My advice.. if you don't have a career decided upon, get out, see the world, see what is out there first before you decide. Then you will have a focus and will know what you want to do with the rest of your life. You will be much happier for it.

The first thing I would go back and tell myself is to go for more scholarships and not be afraid. My senior year of high school I chose not to apply for any local scholarships because i was so sure that i wasn't eligable for any because of my major. I know that isn't true. There are scholarships everywhere for any major including animation majors. I would also warn myself about the money situation and try to make a better financial plan so that I wouldn't be struggling. Another piece of advise I would give myself is to expect sophmore year to be hard but everything will be ok. That you shouldn't worry about being the best right away because you're learning and you will improve and get better and continue to improve. Also that it isn't what school you go to that will give you a job but the work you put in while you're there.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have one valuable piece of advice to give myself. I would first tell myself to look at college with an open mind. Originally, I thought it was important to know exactly what I wanted to major in. Once I started attending college, reality set in. I switched my major three times before I was happy with the program that I was in. It is not important to decide as a high school senior what you want to do in college. Getting the college experience and learning what interests me is more important in the beginning of college life than it is to have a major of study already decided.

Wouldn't it be grand if one could repeat history in their life that could make or break their future? I think I would have changed my attitude about academic competiveness and being the valedictorian of my graduating class. There were 32 seniors who all shared a fraction of a percentage point in their GPA's. I ended up 18th in my class with a GPA of 3.94. If I had fully understood the cost of everything to attend college, I would have worked harder in obtaining that last fraction of a GPA, so that I could have attended college on a free valedictorian scholarship. It would have been much easier and nicer today, to just sit back and relax instead of working every second that I can to make ends meet.

I would tell myself to explore my options more and not just look at local colleges. My parents wanted me to stay close to home so I did and now I wish I would have been able to go out and experience life on my own more. I would have also looked around for more softball scholarships. It was my biggest dream to play ball in college and when I got there the coach was more focused on being everyone's friend and letting them drink then being serious about ball like I was. I would also tell myself to always remember that everything will be okay and try not to stress out too much. As it gets closer to finals there is a lot of pressure but it's okay as long as you are able to stay calm and breathe. Everything will work out like it is suppose to. I would tell myself to live life for me and no one else and do whatever is going to make me happy in the future. I'm going to school for myself no one else and paying for it all on my own as well!

I would tell myself to take as many AP classes as possible and try to earn credits early. I would look into more scholarship opportunities specific to my school as well. I wish I had made arrangements to live with a high school friend rather than go "pot luck" for my first semester. I wish I had made more close friends in high school and established ties that would exist beyond my own college. Finally, I would tell myself to seek more job opportunities in my community. The "real world" experience would be beneficial as I begin schooling for my intended career (nursing).

danielle

be friendly!

Back to the future, oh boy, what a chance to do it right. I was so busy in high school preparing to enter college I don't know if I would've had a moment to even ponder that question. I guess I would have said to enjoy my last year more then what I did. I felt the transition went smoothly and I am finding that maybe I was freaking out too much in high school. I entered college with 18 concurrent college credit hours already under my belt, so I already had a good grasp at what college level courses would be like, so the transition has gone smoothly. Coming from a graduating high school class size of 120 to a small campus of 3000 students has helped with the transition too. But the biggest thing I would've told myself is, "you idiot, you better be submitting more scholarship applications and playing less XBox because money doesn't grow on trees." Having that Friday night pizza run with extra mula would have been nice to do.

Briana

Make sure you search and search for college scholarships and grants. Also make sure that instead of working a service worker, take the classes that you didn't do so well in when you were a freshman and sophomore. And instead of only applying to the University of Saint Francis, apply to more schools.

HOPE

The one thing that I found out about the right college is to take your time and research all of your possiblilties. You have to look up the location to see if buses have transportation if your car breaks down, offer what you are going to school for so that there is no waisted time of extra classes. If you are only foucused on saving money then you will have go to many different colleges. The one thing that I learned about transferring colleges is that some classes do not transfer and pressure on the body and mind can lead to stress and depresion of giving up If you are focused on your career and want to get finish with the satisfaction of makeing the right decision in your life. Then only stay at one school that offers what you want to become because time is precious and you want your mind and body to feel calm and relaxed. Picking the right college will have its up and downs but one thing you should know is that what ever decision you make is the one that you have to live with the rest of your life. Sincerely, HOPE NAGEL

Knicholas

In my opinion, there is no "right college". Although some colleges offer more acvademically and some are better for networking and getting employment following college, it all depends on what the student does while attending the school. Before making my decision on which college I would like to attend, I sat down and looked at what major I would be interested in. After I narrowed my list I looked at the extra-curricular activities that were available at the school, and then I looked at what my support ststem would be like at the school. I feel like looking at everything before choosing a college and not being too "stuck" on my dream college I believe I made the right choose.

Choose a campus with a strong emphasis for your major that will provide the best opportunity for success after graduation. To make the experience more enjoyable while you are at the school, find a campus that is active and become involved in campus activities. Also, pay attention to financial aid that is available for students through the school. Sometimes a private university offers more financial incentives than a state school (especially for students who do not qualify for aid through FASFA).

Dont choose a school for any reason but what you want, I originally attended a different school for reasons that weren't very good and I was unhappy. I feel to come here right away would have been much better but I learned a valuable lesson.

The advice I would give to parents and/or students about finding the right college would be to really, really pay attention and look. Make sure that the school you are looking at really is the one for you. Look at every possible angle; does it have places you like, places surrounding it that you would be happy visiting on the weekend, is the campus big or small enough for you, and whether or not you think you would be able to meet a lot of people and get involved. The biggest advice would be to get involved and live on campus, that way one won't be on their own and can enjoy their full college experience and have support with school work and other such things.

I would give both parents and students the same advice, start early. Dont start your senior year in high school. Start looking as early as possible. You want to make sure that you are going to be completely happy whereever you go. The second piece of advice I would give parents and students is to ask questions. Make sure when you go on tours of colleges, look and ask about everything. Ask them about meal plans, housing, security, professors, and many more things. If you have a question, don't be afraid to ask. I guarentee you, that you are not the first person to ask it.

Remington

When deciding a college to go to there a few things that you should pay close attention to while deciding. The first aspect is the people that are there. The students, teachers, and workers, these people are the ones that you have to deal with everyday and will help you complete your college courses. The second thing is the school's resources. Does the school have the proper equipment to teach you and prepare you for the fast changing world. There are many jobs today that will not hire you without the proper experience, and college is supposed to provide the experience you need. Lastly is the cost of the college. Can you afford this college and is the money that you pay for the college seen through what the college gives back to its students. You want to be sure that you will be able to pay for your college expenses through the experience you have gained by finding a good job with your learned skills.