University of San Diego Top Questions

Lorae

Academics are USD are relatively challenging. Classes are small and professors know their students by name. Students typically have a significant amount of homework and studying to do outside of class. Most teachers try to make their classes relatable and interesting. Sometimes the lectures will even work their way into everyday intellectual conversations. If you ever find yourself struggling, there are numerous resources all over campus - office hours, tutoring centers, mentors, and more. I really appreciate the fact that USD has career-oriented pathways for students who know what they want to do/in what area they want to work after graduation. Students are competitive and driven for academic success, but most everyone is supportive and willing to help each other out.

Taylor

Classes are the perfect size! All of my professors know my name and it is easy to do well if you attend classes, occasionally go to office hours, and genuinely care about the subject you are learning. Class participation is very common and because classes are the perfect size, it is simple to stimulate intellectual conversation with others. Studying depends on what type of student the person is. If they care about their GPA, class grade, and future, they will work their butt off to achieve an A. But there are also students who slack off, only to freak out later in the semester when they learn they are failing. I am currently a freshman but planning to major in Marketing. In fact, next January I am traveling to Hong Kong to study marketing. It will be a wonderful experience and help me build a resume for when I start applying for jobs after college.

The academics at this school are pretty good based on my experiences. You have to watch out for ba professors just like you do at any other school but for the most part they are really great people who put forth tremendous effort. You here it all the time in admissions tours that "you are a name not a number at this college" and I have generally found that to be true here. I haven't had a class with more than 40 people in it and there are no TA's who do all the grading for the professor so you can really get to know your professors quite well.

Since USD is a small school, the professors really get to know you and form relationships with you. To excel at USD, students study a lot, which means that our degrees are worth something, they look good in the professional world. Class participation is fairly common, some professors include a participation grade in the overall course grade. Going to a professor's office hours is a great way to get to know them and form close relationships with them. Professors really go out of their way to help you. USD's academic requirements are pretty standard, general education classes and then classes for your major and minor. I am a Sociology major with an emphasis in Crime, Justice, Law, and Society. The Sociology department is amazing, I haven't met a professor yet that I don't like (even the ones who assign a lot of reading are nice). It is common for students to engage in intellectual conversations outside of class, USD has high standards for its students, thus many of them are very smart.

Lindsay

One of the main reasons I chose USD was because of the academics. Because we are a small private school, we have small classes where everyone knows your name, including the teacher. Teachers are so helpful in class and outside, and many of them are willing to go get lunch and discuss a class project or a question that may be confusing. Other classmates are definitely willing to do the same as well. Students here are definitely academic oriented and know that we're here at college to get an education, so studying is important. There are a variety of majors/minors to choose from and if they don't have a specific program for you, you can either create one or get help from an advisor to find the best fit for you. I plan on majoring in Business, and have taken classes in the Business school already as a freshman. USD really prepares you and aids you into getting internships and jobs as soon as the student asks for help. We believe there is never a time too soon to start taking your future into your own hands.

Lindsay

Carlos

USD provides an excellent learning environment, and the small size campus and classroom sizes play a big role. There are right main buildings where classes are taught and all are walking distance (no more than five-eight minutes away from each other). Trams are provided as an alternative to get around campus as well. Classrooms are small and are all equipped with state of the art equipment. I have never had a class with more than 25 students. A student knows his professor, and his professor knows his student, on a name to name basis. Professors are additionally accessible during office hours which allows the student time to get one-on-one learning. Small classrooms and a small campus community makes the environment academically competitive between students. You are likely to know most students in your respective major as a result. Intellectual conversations, networking, and group work is common among USD students. The education gained at USD is beyond the academic aspect of it. Professors are helping prepare students who will make effective leaders moral individuals in this world. The community strives to challenge students to master their respective major and recognize ways in which they can apply what they have learned in the classroom to make a different in their communities. The environment is positive, the campus beautiful, the the San Diego Weather gorgeous, only adding to the unbelievable learning experience that is USD.

Madelyn

No matter what department, I guarantee that there will not be over 40 students in your class. For me, this is one of the most important aspects of my education; I love that my professors know my name and that we can have great discussions in office hours. Many of them have become like friends. The rigorousness of your academic life will mostly depend upon the department and the individual professor, but generally speaking, the communications department is super easy and the science departments are much harder. Our business school is one of the top in the nation and it's really geared toward getting a job. In this economy, that seems to be extremely important. Oh, and then there's me. I'm a philosophy major and a political science major - both of which are not directed at finding a job. Of course, I think these are the best majors anyone could possibly pick and I'm completely obsessed with both departments. Not only are they challenging, but we're learning subject-matter that's applicable to today's political situations. I can't say enough about how much I've loved these departments! My favorite class is called Philosophy and Freud and we learn just what it sounds like - the philosophy of Sigmund Freud. My professor is absolutely amazing, brilliant, and passionate about this topic. Our class is filled with people who want to learn more and are sincerely interested in the subject-matter. We've actually become pretty close as a class because there are only 25 people enrolled. Generally speaking, I think most students care about their grades. You'll see a lot of class participation and many people in the library, especially during midterms and finals. Students seem pretty competitive and want to earn a good grade. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like most outside-of-class discussion focuses on school related subjects. We have other things to talk about, like Kim Kardashian's failed marriage. The last thing that I'll mention about USD's academics is its core curriculum requirements. In order to graduate, you must take a writing class, math competency, three philosophy classes, three semesters of a language, three theology classes, one history class, one literature class, one fine arts class, two science classes, two social sciences, and one diversity class. Taken together, I think the students that graduate from our university are well-rounded and at least basically understand general concepts in different fields. I love that these requirements reach into different departments and give exposure to every subject.

Tyler

The academics at my school are wonderful. It might not be ranked as high as some would like in the US News and World Report rankings, but that is because USD does not focus on outside research, which is a big factor in determining the rankings. Every one of my professors knows my name, and a lot of them have wonderful credentials, such as graduating from Harvard, Yale, Georgetown, etc. Class participation is very common because of the small class sizes. Professors expect you to participate to make the classes more intimate. The environment here is very relaxed, as students foster relationships with one another and are not extremely competitive.

Harmonie

Academics at USD are very personalized--one of the top reasons I chose to come here. Professors know your name, there are countless great study spots, there is a balance of competitiveness and group work opportunities. I am an Industrial & Systems Engineering major. The great thing about the engineering department at USD is that engineering majors receive a dual degree BA/BS due to the liberal arts courses required from the university. The academic requirements are a little tedious at times, but I find myself completely enthralled in my religion and philosophy courses due to the interesting topics and professors.

Jamie

The professors are amazing. I would not trade my education for anything due to the mere fact that my professors taught me so much and opened me up to so much. They are truly inspiring people who are very dedicated to their work. Classes are smaller so there are lots of discussions. The rigor depends on the class: if you want to be challenged there is no lack of options (there is also an honors program), and then there are some classes that aren't as hard.