University of San Diego Top Questions

What's the Greek scene like?

Gabrielle

Personally I did not rush, but the Greek scene at USD is an interesting one. I have heard from most that the actual rush process is miserable, it feels as if you are being judged by strictly appearances for 4 days straight, and it is heartbreaking if you do not get picked by the sorority you would like. However, those who fully participate in the Greek scene and get into the sorority they love, have a wonderful time and meet lifelong friends. USD is nice in the sense that you do not have to belong to a sorority to be accepted in the social scene. Those in sororities are not always the most popular. I am not in a sorority and I don't find it hard at all to meet friends and make connections, but I have friends in sororities that love it! It all depends on the type of person you are.

Madelyn

I've been involved in Greek life for four years so I feel like I know the ends and outs of the system. Although our Greek life is only about 27{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the undergraduates, it seems that its presence is larger. Most of the more-involved students on campus are part of Greek life, but by no means is there a ton of pressure to join a chapter. Once you are part of it, however, it's obvious that Greek people really only hang out with other Greek people. Obviously, this is a stereotype, but it's actually partially true. I would encourage anyone who's interested in joining to go through the recruitment process before making any judgment calls. It's a small scene, but it's tons of fun and all of the parties (events) are usually Greek related.

Madelyn