University of San Francisco Top Questions

There are always going to be people who fit the stereotype. That is why they exist, because on some level people see that stereotype. However more often than not people don't take the time to look past the stereotype and discover the person. At USF there are definitely wealthy students who buy into the hipster culture, but I would not say that the stereotype is accurate. Most of the students at USF receive aid from FASFA or have scholarships for academics and/or sports that help pay for their tuition. Since USF is a private university the tuition is costly, and it doesn't make it any cheaper when the university is surrounded by the wonderful, yet expensive city of San Francisco. For the most part, it's more likely that students will run into more broke college students than someone shelling out cash left and right.

While USF does have a lot of international students, I wouldn't say they are spoiled. San Francisco is an expensive city to live in, but not everyone who goes here has a surplus of money. Religion and religious studies are definitely there for those who seek it, but plenty (most, I would say) of students are not very religious. I, for instance, don't consider myself very religious. I think the general atmosphere here is dependent on other things: the environmental, social and political concerns of the city in which we live.