University of San Francisco Top Questions

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Alexandria

This question has a lot to do with how you prefer to study. If you do not mind an environment that is loud and active, then there are some really nice and comfy spots in the cafeterias. This is especially true by Outta Here Caf. There are lots of little booths, tables, and lounge chairs to occupy. Also they recently updated that seating area and it now offers chairs and bean bags in front of some flat screen T.V.'s and a nice lounge area surrounding a big stone fireplace. However if you are someone who prefers having a quiet and more peaceful environment to study in, then you have a couple different options. There are study rooms that you can reserve in the UC Center, Kalmanovitz Hall, and Gleeson Library. I do not know the reservation details and policies in the UC Center and Kalmanovitz Hall, but I do at Gleeson Library. I work on-campus at Gleeson Library, and if you want to reserve a study room, then it has to be for a group of students (not one student) for a two hour slot once a day. Also at Gleeson Library we have marked zones. There are three different zones: Speaking, Quiet (a little bit of talking but nothing loud), and Silent. One of the Silent zones that people frequent is the Atrium. It is open 24 hours a day for students who want a silent place to study. The Library is open long hours so students can use books, computers, and other research centers like Periodicals, Government Documents, and the Reference center (trained Librarians can help you here). Also we have ITS students at the Library if you are having trouble with your computer or USF login, and we have a Writing Center representative. The Writing Center representative handles walk-in appointments from students seeking extra help on their papers. If a student has learning disabilities Gleeson Library has a separate computer lab for them, and the disabilities office is in the basement of the Library if they are looking for extra help with notes, tests, or studying. From my experience I work best in the library because everyone is intent on their studies, so I am able to focus on the material in front of me. Even if you are hungry while studying you do not have to leave the library. As long as the food is contained and drinks have a lid, you can eat anywhere in the library. This can be helpful when the Cafeteria is overly crowded.