University of San Francisco Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of San Francisco

Kosha

USFCA is a good school. The only thing I didn't like was the food options they kept. They ere very limited in there vegetarian options and repeated most of the items. Sometimes the rice grains were uncooked and the pizza had way too much oil on it.

The University of San Francisco is a beautiful school and has plentiful resources for their students. For example, the writing and learning center, library, and teachers are all accessible to all students. My one complaint is that students without aid or scholarships pay about $50,000-60,000 annually. I would hope they attempted to understand their student's financial needs. For instance, my tuition costs over $30,000 annually despite being considered a low income family in San Francisco (middle class in other areas). I received no form of aid and my parents are struggling with the expensive tuition.

Julie

I think University of San Francisco is a really good and prestigious school. Many resources are available to help students who are stressed or need help. I feel very welcomed to the school by professors and staff. There are also many ways to get involved into the school creating a more inclusive environment.

Dominique

I love it, it is a fantastic school that is very dedicated to its mission and students. The professors are very involved with the students' academics and personal needs. There is a lot of involvement both on and off campus and the surrounding city is beautiful! I highly recommend!

Wendy

The University of San Francisco is built on a city based on culture and diversity. The arts and liveliness of the city travels in and out of campus. Here is where I learned how to diversify myself and expand my horizon. There is no place like home and I am proud to call the University of San Francisco my home and my learning world.

At first I wasn't very excited to go to USF, but it was the small class size, great teachers, and positive campus environment that really made USF feel like home. I genuinely can't imagine being anywhere else, USF genuinely feels like home and I will miss all the friends and connections I have made there when I graduate!

USF is a very good school. It's given me many opportunities to learn academically and about different cultures, to be challenged intellectually. I am very fortunate to attend USF, and I was also able to continue my studies in Paris, France, this semester, through the university's Global Education program. I look forward to continuing this Fall, as I enter my senior year.

Gissel

The University of San Francisco has provided a great experience. I have been especially impressed with the classroom environment they are able to provide, along with the outstanding professors that have been very available and considerate. However, like many schools, the University does have aspects in which it could improve. On-campus student life can be lacking exciting events at times, but living in the city of San Francisco is a great advantage that aids that fault.

The University of San Francisco is an amazing school! The campus is beautiful, location is amazing, and people are pretty friendly for living in a big city. The class sizes are great. You can really build relationships with your classmates and professors. The only downside I'd say is the cost. It's ridiculously expensive. Don't attend here if you didn't receive a ton of financial aid. It's not worth it if you have to pay a lot for it. There are many other schools where you can get an education that's just as good as an education from USF.

Jeffy

The University of San Francisco is overall a great school with plenty of caring teachers. I have met some of the nicest and most engaging teachers here in just a single academic year. If anything, I wish we were more engaged with sports and had a football team. There is some degree of school pride, but I do not feel it as much as I did in comparison to high school.

Suzi

Like any other school, your campus experience is what you make of it. Being located in the city is great because there are so many opportunities open for students to advance their career. Joining extracurriculars that fit my interests really enhanced my experience and I am learning to really love my school.

Kat

*I'm making this comment because I was originally considering studying at University of San Francisco -- Glad I made the choice NOT to, because do you want the university you or your child attended being associated with this....* If you are thinking of sending your white son or daughter here, first read this (official school website): https://www.usfca.edu/library/white-privilege-resource-guide Don't bother with SFSU either: http://freebeacon.com/culture/san-francisco-state-university-investigating-cultural-appropriation-incident-captured-video/ SJSU is also a terrible university, filled with homeless masturbating in the library, not enough room for students to study, and terribly run overall. Berkeley is the same as SJSU in many regards as well Recommend UC Davis and Standford if you want to study in the Bay.

Ben

It's a college. The thing is, most colleges are really essentially the same. It's all about finding your people and your niche, and USF has enough people that one can do that. There are lots of institutional failures, but that will happen anywhere. It is a great jumping off point into the city, and has enough good classes to keep people occupied.

Jasmine

The University os San Francisco has provided me with a new perspective on global issues, especially as an International Studies major. The professors I have had so far are highly qualified and passionate about their subjects. The classroom sizes are usually small and the campus itself is extremely small. Housing is satisfactory, but there is definitely room for improvement. There is a constant demand for on-campus housing, but there are certain opportunities that guarantee such housing. The students on campus are constantly involved in off-campus activities and are very politically involved. Having attended this university for a year, I have met students from all around the world who have also enjoyed their time here.

Theresa

What can I say? I had always had a dream of living in San Francisco and now I'm doing it! There are so many things to do. The campus is beautiful! The people are so cool and kind. Of course, you will meet people from time to time that aren't the greatest, but that's everywhere. Studies are extremely important and the extra curricular activities are fun! Weather here is not like the San Jose!!! It's foggy in the morning, sunny or windy during the day, and foggy again around 4-5pm. Dorms are a little small, but cozy. Professors are generally always ready to help. I feel like I've made the best decision coming here :)

Pondharshini

It's a great school with a great environment. I'm honestly blessed to be studying here. Academics are important to me and my professors are always available. Since it's in San Francisco, there's always something to do every day. I love how political we can get and how the San Francisco environment encourages it. There is no judgement at this school and it accepts everyone which is probably the best part.

Zubeyir

Hey. I want to come there for a summer scholorship. Help me please. I am waiting for your answer. Please email me on : [email protected]

Destinee

University of San Francisco is by far one of the most diverse colleges I have ever seen. There are so many opportunities given and the amount of support given to each and every student is amazing. Someone is always willing to help even with the smallest, slightest question. At USF, it is a community.

Karina

USF is overall a pretty great school, it's smaller than some, but I found that that allows for more one on one with not only professors, but advisors and even peers. I'm going into my second year and I'm pretty excited to go back to meet up with the friends I made, and the classes I signed up for. Really going to USF is what you make of it, I think its a great place to be.

Ravneet

It's a good school.

unica

the University of San Francisco is a great school with a lot to offer. The campus is fairly small. It gives the University a more connected feel because someone knows someone in someway shape or form. The class sizes are small and this gives you a chance to really connect with your professor. The university is centrally located in San Francisco so there is always someplace to go in the city, just a bus ride away.

Jordan

A phenomenal school with accessible and helpful resources, including faculty, staff, and infrastructure. USF has an intelligent, diverse, unique, hardworking, talented, and ambitious student body. This student body helps to provide a world-class education. USF's top-tier education is provided through their academics, students, faculty and staff, and opportunities.

Jozlin

As a transfer student, I feel that I had a smooth transition to USF. I am the kind of person who prefers being amongst smaller groups, and I can honestly say if you are also that kind of person you would be comfortable here. The diverse staff and student body have allowed me to learn beyond my coursework. There is a strong culture of social justice embedded in this university's culture and it is reflected by the staff and faculty. I am so happy that I made the move to get here.

Mariam

The University of San Francisco overall is a great school that strives for social justice. Our school motto is "Changing the world from here", this motto is so compelling for people who are interested in being involved in their community. The university itself is in a city where many different majors and interest come to meet and gain experience from a tech start-up to nonprofits for homeless teens. This variety allows for a wide variety of classmates and connects that's beneficial to the rest of one's career. This is the key to college to not only find yourself but make connections that will be effective in your future.

Alex

I think it's a small and nice place, the people are very welcoming and treat you well. I think the only issue that most seem to have is the administration. I've delt with the same problem myself. I think that the administration is a bit unorganized and leave things too complicated. One issue is housing, most people get it but some don't. I had a few friends who went homeless because they couldn't find a place. When they slept over at a friends dorm, which they are allowed too by the rules, they got in trouble and were put on probation and almost got kicked/banned from the area. Another thing is Funding for the school, they don't use their money for the right things, so far i have not seen any improvements in any of the departments. Speaking of that, the business department got a 3D printer but not the art department... I don't know why they need it but yea.

Gabriel

I think the University of San Francisco is a great university to attend , I do not regret going to University of San Francisco for more than three reasons. My first reason is because the diversity of the schools is such a great feeling , I had previously visited other schools and I felt uncomfortable and outnumbered. My second reason is because the city of San Francisco is beautiful there is so many things to do such is thrifting, exploring the beach , and the wonderful food. My third reason is because the program I have enrolled in for isn’t horrible at the school and that excites me as I come from a really small city named oxnard.

Michelle

The education is rigorous, social justice focused, and broad in scope. USF welcomes feedback and student activism. USF has the most caring, competent, and notable professors that contribute greatly to your academic experience. I am not Catholic but it is a Catholic Jesuit School & their style of teaching is unique & innovative.

Rosario

My overall opinion of the University of San Francisco is that it is a great school and you are able to communicate with teachers due to the fact that the class sizes are not that big so the teachers are able to get to know and interact with the students. It is also a very diverse school and you get to meet new people from around the world. For example this is my first year attending the school and I live on campus I share a dorm with two other girls and they are not from California. One of my roommates is from Washington and the other is from Virginia. The fact that I get to meet and make new friendships with them is a great opportunity and I know that the university is providing me with all the resources I need to get to know other while still getting a great education.

Monique

It is a great location for opportunities. However, it seems to be lacking in the number of clubs and services it offers for such a prestigious location. Also, there are very few majors in comparison to nearby colleges. This can be very disheartening. The campus is also very awkwardly placed in the middle of neighborhoods and busy streets and many classrooms require a walk up a public road. The professors are kind and give us their time. Another semi-positive is the awareness of political activity.

Chelsymol

The University of San Fransisco is a one of a kind college. The professors here genuinely care about you and offer plenty of hours through out the week for open office hours. Many of the buildings and facilities here are new, such as Lo Shiavo, which is my favorite building to study in! Not to mention the scrumptious cafeteria food-- it never disappoints! The chefs always provide a wide variety of food to choose from. My all time favorite choices are the "Dons quesadillas" from the salsa/grill and the "California rolls" from the sushi bar. I have completed one full year of school here and I am glad to say that going to this school was one of the best decisions I have made.

Nicholas

The school is fantastic. You meet some interesting people you do not think you would get along with, but you do. The people and professors are genuinely nice and care for you. For instance, when I did not understand what we have been learning economics in the past week. I went to office hours and asked the professor the subjects I had not understand and he answered all my questions and gave me a better understanding of the subjects. Moreover, whenever I felt sad, some random student would ask me why I felt that way. It shocked me because they cared for my well-being. Overall, University of San Francisco is an amazing place because it not only is in the city but also it has some great people attending.

Tracy

This is a great school and city to be at. The students and staff is full of drive for success; staying in such environment keeps me motivated to achieve my goals. Overall, this is a great school and city to live in, however, I feel that such crowded city is not a way of life for many individuals. Despite that, it is a great experience for many who are finding there style of living.

Molly

It's a good place for the most part. Teachers really care, and the class sizes are awesome: around 20 unless it's a gen ed class. The food is good for a college. On-campus housing is required for freshmen, and it is pretty nice for dorms. All in all, I'd recommend it if you can afford it - it's pretty expensive.

Raquel

My overall experience at the University of San Francisco has been good so far, so in my opinion this is a good university to attend. I do not live on campus, I live at home and I commute to school. Living on campus, and in San Francisco in general, is very expensive, so for me living at home is much more affordable. My opinion of University of San Francisco might be different from a student who lives on campus because I do not interact with the school community as much as a student who lives on campus. However for students who do commute to school everyday, they are provided with a discounted bus pass, and the school is surrounded by a lot of public transportation options. Although I do not have much experience with the school's community, I definitely do have more experience with academics. The professors I have had so far, have been great, they always seem excited to teach, and are always willing to help in and out of class. Most of the class sizes are small, which allows the professors to be more accessible and they get to know their students better. There are also many resources provided on campus to all students, however, it is the students job to reach out to receive the help needed. Attending the University of San Francisco has allowed me to grow as an individual and learn a lot of new things. If anyone is interested in attending the University of San Francisco, I would definitely encourage them to do so.

Brianna

I honestly really do enjoy my school. There are some things that could be improved on like the quality and the variety of food and the dorm rooms. Also, the cost of living in the area is very expensive. Bottom line though, the campus is beautiful and the class sizes are the perfect amount.

Jada

The University of San Francisco is a small intimate campus where you see the same people more often than on a larger campus. USF has a variety of students from all over the world that interact with everyone which creates a global dynamic in classrooms. USF's matto is "change the world from here" and that is exactly what students do. They are politically and socially active on an off campus. Social justice is a large part of campus and is continued by the students into the real world. People are not afraid to speak their minds and offer plenty of outside resources to get involved in causes in SF. USF offers a variety of clubs and activities that people from all interests can enjoy and even be exposed to something new. USF is a unique campus and is very diversified in all aspects which make it a global hub for ideas.

Denali

Overall, the University of San Francisco is a good school. Although there are some drawbacks, such as you get sick of the campus food after a few weeks your freshman year, the dorms are limited so there is a high chance you will be put into a triple that was originally built for two people, and the hills are killer, overall the city, financial aid, teachers, and classmates make everything worth it.

It is a great school for the academics and to become involved in different forms of social activism. The class sizes are small and the teachers are usually readily available. However, the food is overpriced for the quality and you can find much cheaper living accommodations off campus.

Angel

University of San Francisco is a great and beautiful campus where students and teachers alike are looking out for each other and helping each other become successful. Great classes and the size is ideal, the location is perfect right in the center of San Francisco a lot to do outside of class and campus.

Elise

I enjoy attending the University of San Francisco because it is so diverse in terms of its population of students. There are students here from countless countries and counties around the world. Therefore, the need for diverse academia is required and provided for the students. Professors are flexible and understanding and there are a variety of extra-curriculars to be certain that everyone on campus gets involved in one way or another.

Caitlyn

It is a beautiful campus in a beautiful city with a diverse student body. There are many clubs and associations to join on campus and being in San Francisco, students will never be bored. The professors and students are welcoming and are there to help you in your journey throughout college.

The University of San Francisco provides an accepting, worldly, and incredibly interactive learning environment that fosters the creativity and nourishes the intellectuality of its students. It prepares its students for the professional world and aids in the transition from a university student to being to an employed and active member of our society.

Sabine

Overall, I am extremely happy to be going to the University of San Francisco. The small class sizes mean the teachers are always willing to engage (and usually able to remember your name). We are a smart campus, and everyone here I've enjoyed talking too. There's not much of a campus life, however. Due to the expense and lack of space, most people live off campus. Of course in San Francisco this is cool, getting to live in a big fun city, but also terrible because of the expense.

Constance

Really great professors, a lot of them really care about you and you will learn a lot from them. Some of the logistics of housing are really annoying though, and it can be difficult to pay your way through being in San Francisco while being in school.

Katherine

The University of San Francisco is a great school that has a lot to offer. The professors are always willing to help out students and are super kind. They will make time for their students if the students can't make it to their office hours. There is a wide variety of food offered throughout the day and the dorms are well maintained.

Alexandra

I absolutely love it. There is always something going on in the city and on campus. It's a safe and peaceful campus, the food gets tiresome and getting on-campus housing after freshmen year is very hard as for off-campus housing. Although, there are many opportunities and resources available to get the help you're looking for.

johnpaul

My overall opinion about University of San Francisco is that its an excellent school because of the environment, the campus, and how diverse it is. Also, I feel very safe being in campus because all the school facilities and students are very nice and approachable.

Abigail

The city, the beauty, the brains, the diversity, the ethic: University of San Francisco has it all. It is not your stereotypical college experience with excessive alcohol poisoning and apathetic academics; but a flourishing learning environment in which students are engaged in their surroundings and bred to become culturally literate global citizens. With healthy classroom sizes and curious minds, students learn not purely from the teacher – but from each other – in education, ethics, and life experience. Located in the heart of the city, this University knows no boundaries. Golden Gate Park is my backyard, Haight-Ashbury is my weekend lunch spot, Ocean Beach is sunny day vacation, and the USF Gleeson Library is my foggy day hideout. In such a vast city overflowing with opportunity, students are invited to explore and cast a wide net of potential career options. All while becoming men and women for others. Therefore, in my possibly bias opinion, the University of San Francisco may just be the best college in all of America.

Paul

Really good teachers, very liberal student body, not any internships or focus on students getting employed after graduation.

Alyssa

I enjoy attending USF, especially since I think it's great for my major, International Studies. Having said that, let me just be up front: San Francisco is an expensive city. I've grown up in San Francisco so I don't really know much else, but my friends that live elsewhere never cease to complain about it. Just to give you an idea: the minimum wage just got increased to $14 because of how expensive the cost of living is. Another note about USF: you're not gonna get a "typical" college experience. It's not like the movies, where it's sunny and you can go to frat row for a good party. Our campus is tiny and the weather isn't always reflective of the rest of California. However, as USF so often likes to say, the city is our campus. So yeah, sometimes it sucks how small everything is, especially when you live there your freshmen year, but there are endless things to do in the city. Basically, if you chose USF because you want to explore the city and can afford it, good on you. You'll have a good time and you'll definitely do some growing up navigating a city by yourself (trust me, it's fun). But, if you're like me and can't afford to go anywhere else, don't let that get you down. College is what you make of it. Reach out and make friends to try new stuff with. That way, you will have a good experience. Trust me. Been there, done that.