Scranton, PA
University of Scranton

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Scranton

T.J

There is always something to do, it is next to two ski resorts, it is a small city with just the right blend of urban and suburban living, and we have the second biggest st. patricks day parade in the U.S

The best thing to do when looking for a college is to scout out all your options. Understand what the college atmosphere will be like. You must make sure that you are aware before you even start looking for colleges what you want your expierence to be. Weather in reguards to sports, size of classes, size of school, if greek life will be important. All these options must be weighed in order for a great college expierence. Less importantly, knowing what you would like to study does help. When in college the biggest thing anyone will ever tell you about having a good college expierence is time management. If you are able to manage your time well and are able to study dilegently when you need to. College is not a hard place. It is a great place to expand your horizons socially and academically. College is great!

I wish i had known what the College name meant as far as careers were concerned. I also wish that thew coach of my sport (lacrosse) was more straight foward about the sports situation at the school.

Alex

I think the best advise I can offer is for parents and students to visit each and every school on their list. I know from my experience that once I arrived at Scranton I knew right away that this was the place for me. So much of the decision comes from the feelling you get from being on the campus. So when you visit make sure that you see everything you can and talk with anyone you see, and not just the campus staff but especially the students. Ask all sorts of questions because really no question is dumb when it comes to your future. And once you get to college, don't be shy. Get involved with an activity that interests you. I had the chance to do a retreat with some other incoming freshmen and it was amazing. I got to know other students quickly and it made the first day of classes easy. Lastly, I have to admit that I chose a college that was within a two hour drive home. College is an adjustment on many different levels but is nice to be close to the comforts you can only get at home.

From the moment I participated in my freshman orientation I knew that I had made the right decision. This college has helped me to realize my potential for future success by allowing me to be myself, challenge myself and prove myself on many different levels. So whether it is in a classroom, my dorm room, my work study program or the hockey rink I know that I am accepted for who I am and more importantly for who I hope to be. This campus feel likes home.

I would have to say that I talk a lot about the friends I have already made. I like the fact that I chose a small school, it really helped me get to know other people very quickly. I think we have a great campus and its awesome that they have just built new dorms, which I will be in this year, and also a new student center that has a lot to offer. Additionally I am a member of the college hockey team so I get to travel to area colleges and meet up with friends from high school.

Christine

I love everything about Scranton...the size, the campus, the people, the faculty, the food...yup everything. The size is just right for me. As a senior, I am still able to walk down campus and see new faces, and I still meet new people in classes and on the weekends. With that being said, I also walk down the campus and have the ability to acknowledge a ton of people that I know. I don't feel overwhelmed...I feel right at home in my own little school community. The teachers are approachable and they listen to your opinions. In the early fall and late spring they are open to moving class outside...even if it means a little more distractions. There are a ton of places to eat directly on campus or right off of campus. I love the Aroma Cafe, which is right across the street from the student center. At Aroma, they really treat you like family and make an effort to get to know you. I love the workers and the food. I love winter in Scranton with its crazy snowstorms...there is nothing like campus in the snow.

Most Scranton students are from New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, but we have students from all over as well. We wear what we want, we have preppy kids and kids who go to class every day in sweats, we don't seem to care what other people think, and most of the time we will interact with anybody. We are a Catholic Campus, but not all students are Catholic. There are "rich" kids on campus as well as students who can only attend because of financial aid (thats me), but the "rich" kids are normally very giving and not stuck up at all.

No, not at all. The city of Scranton has tons of great restaurants and little boutiques, as well as fun cultural events like the Italian Festival and the St. Patty's Day Parade :) There is also a drive-in movie, which is so much fun to go to during the warm months.

I am a counseling and theology major and have had the ability to take a wide variety of classes. The most unique class I took was called HIV/AIDS, and it was awesome. We learned about the biological and sociological factors of the disease over the course of a semester. It's not uncommon to find people discussing class happenings outside of class, and we tend to study when we need to. Scranton students like to have fun, but we work hard and play hard, so the library is pretty full most of the time.

We do not have frats or sororities on campus, but that does not stop us from having a great time on the weekends. If we party, we are partying at houses or in the few bars up the street. You can drink in Scranton for basically nothing any day of the week. On the other side of the spectrum, if you do not want to drink, you do not have to. The school always has bands, comedians, and movies scheduled for the weekend,and there is usually stuff going on in the city as well. Dorm life is fun and normally you get to know people really well who live in the same building or in the surrounding buildings. The dating scene is basically non-existent...we have people who are going out...Lord knows how they met. Women's basketball games are our most popular sporting events. Intramurals are a big deal as well. Not only do a ton of people participate, but many people also spectate, and they tend to get quite competitive. Every year we have things such as "The Great Commons Ball Roll" which supports the International Service Projects. Basically people buy tennis balls which are numbered and on a certain day, thousands of tennis balls are rolled down the middle of campus...the numbers that come in first win cool prizes like an iPod, digital camera, or dinner with the president. Silly things like that make me love the University of Scranton

People tend to think that Scranton is too small and the campus is too contained. They also think that the city is dirty and that theres "nothing to do".

University of Scranton administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.