Scranton, PA
University of Scranton

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Scranton

angela

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would say to stay at home and work, work, work. When I was 17 years old I moved out of my parents house and got an apartment. After graduating from high school I took a semester off from school and worked full time. I started attending college in the spring for dental assisting. But because I was living on my own, I had to pay for college out of pocket. My step-father made too much for me to qualify for financial aid and even though I was living on my own, i still did not qualify. I was able to complete a year of school but beginning my second year was tough because I had to work full time and did not make enough to pay for it. So I had to leave. Now, I'm back living with my parents (with my daughter) and am able to recieve to receive financial aid and save money for any other school related costs. So to sum up, I would tell myself to continue to work hard and to never give up on school.

Roberto

At the other institutions I have considered, the students are not friendly as the students here. The University of Scranton holds very strong Jesuit values, which is perfect considering I hold the same values. The University of Scranton has classroom sizes small enough that the professors get to know you one on one, while the other institutions hold large class sizes. The University of Scranton was filmed in the TV show, "The Office," making it a very unique school compared to other schools I have considered.

I would tell myself not to slack off and stay consistent with my studying habits because the professors go chapter by chapter in every class instead a week or two like in high school. I would tell myself to finish my senior year with great grades in order to recieve more scholarship money from the institution and will not be in debt in the future. I would tell myself to make friends who want to study and succeed because if you make friends with those who do not, you will follow in their footsteps without realizing it. I will tell myself to join more academic related clubs to gain more experience in my career. I would tell myself to volunteer more and particiapte in more service trips. I would tell myself to hit the gym when I get stressed instead of playing video games and over eating. I would tell myself not to lose my faith and make it to church every Sunday and weekdays if possible. I would tell myself to stay positive in every situation and not to give up on anything. I would tell myself to stay focus and not be preoccupied with things nonschool related.

If you are unmotivated, you should not attend the University of Scranton. If all you want to do is party, you should not attend the University of Scranton. If you do not believe in the Jesuit values that the University of Scranton holds, you should not go here. If you are not friendly, you should not attend the University of Scranton. If you are not willing to walk up and down the hills on a daily basis, you should not attend the University of Scranton. If you do not like weather changes especially the cold weather, do not go here.

Kimberly

Be true to yourself. If you pretend to be someone else, you are not only going to fail, but no one will take you seriously. As you transition to your college lifestyle, it may be difficult at times to not want to fit into the status quo of ‘what everyone else is doing.’ I encourage you to persevere. And trust me. It will be worth it. When you come to know the wisdom of this statement, you will look back at your lifestyle and simply be in awe of who you have become and what you have accomplished.

The quality of life at The U is unsurpassed and do not underestimate the power for taking it for granted.

Christi

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about my college transition, I would tell myself to not be as nervous as I was. I've only been in school a month and I love it! I have so many friends, and the things I have been learning are very interseting. I would also tell myself to prepare for the amount of work I was about to endure. College is more work than any high-schooler could imagine. A lot of the learning is not done in class, but on your own. Learning the material is up to the student rather than the teacher in college. Another piece of advice I would give myself would be to enjoy my home, friends, and family in my high school years before leaving for the next chapter in my life. Although I do love my family, and friends, I wish I had appreciated seeing them whenever I wanted to before I left for college.

You should attend The University of Scranton if you want to be surrounded by a ton of really nice people. Scranton seems to have alot of pre-med majors and the school is really good if you want to go into a medical field. Scranton students do alot of reseach with professors. Scranton does have alot of partying, but you have to be able to manage time wisely. Classes are difficult and require alot of work. The people who attend Scranton are kind, social, and smart people. Classes are small and teachers know everyone's name.

If you want to only party, don't come to Scranton. The University is very expensive and you will not do well if you constantly party. If you do not work hard you won't do well. Scranton is pretty small, so don't come here if you want a large school atmosphere. If you are into greek life do not come to Scranton. There are no fratenities or sororities. If you aren't Catholic, you can still come to Scranton, but you do have to take Bible class.

Liana

I would tell myself that there is no rush to decide on a future despite what people are telling you. Authority figures and college will tell you to without giving you time to explore your options. You should enjoy your youth now, and not rush into the future of the business world. You will regret it, and end up feeling like you missed out on something exciting.

The best thing is your social life because you will be depressed without it, and that will effect how well you do in school.

There is no grocery store within walking distance. I f you don't have a car, you are forced to buy food at the school store which takes advantage of its students. It is verymuch overpriced. The school robs it's students of money.

Jeanne

As a senior at Scranton, I have been able to refelct on my past four yeasr as an undergraduate student in a very positive light. I have come to the conclusion that choosing the University of Scranton was one of the best decsions I have ever made. It has led me to discover the true person I want to be and what I would like to pursue as a career. My interactions with faculty and staff has allowed me to challenge myself and help me decide the person I want to be. Many of the people I have encountered, including faculty, staff and friends, have influenced me in one way or another. There is a true community on campus that I have felt since I was a senior in high school trying to decide to where I wanted to go to college. Scranton always felt right to me, and this has led me to conclude that it was the place I wanted to spend the next four years of my life. Overall, my favorite expereinces at Scranton have been the time I have spent with my friends and the volunteer services that I have participated in. In the past three years, I have engaged in a lot of service work, and these experiences have been life changing. I volunteer on campus at the Jane Kopas Women's Center and the Gino Merli Veteran Center in downtown Scranton. I thoroughly enjoy these activities because I am able to pursue my interests and interact with different populations. Yet, overall, I think my overall favorite expereinces here at Scranton have come through the Spring Break service trips that I have gone on in the last two years. My sophomore year, I went on a trip to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where I spent a week doing service in a west Philadelphia neightborhood through the Sisters of Saint Joseph. During the week, we worked with the homeless in the area, along with undocumeted citizens that populate that particular area of Philadelphia. My junior year, I was privileged to go on a trip to Hurley, Virginia to work at the Hurley Community Development Center for a week. In Hurley, I, along with a group of students, worked on various housing projects throughout the area during the week. These were both life-changing experiences for me. The memories of tese trips and the friends that I made on them will last my whole lifetime.

At the University of Scranton, we have a lot of great activities that students can become involved in. As a commuter student at the University of Scranton, I value my experiences in the clubs I am involved in because I was able to make a lot of great friends by getting invovled. Also, clubs and activities on campus allow students to pursue their interests outside of the classroom. As a student, I have participated in activities that I love. Since freshmen year, I have been involved in Colleges Against Cancer adn Relay for Life on campus. Prior to college, I participated in my local Relay for Life, and I was eager to get involved in college. Cancer has affected my family, and volunteering for the Amercian Cancer Society has been a great support for me and my family. Through Colleges Against Cancer, we hold different events and fundraising throughout the year to raise awareness about cancer. For instance, during the month of October, we have our annual Pink Week, when we hold various events to fundraise and raise awareness about breast cancer, like the Pink Rugby game. Every year, we have a Relay for Life on campus, and, for he past three years, I have served on the Relay for Life committee, and we have raised a lot of money for the American Cancer Society. Being involved in Colleges Against Cancer and Relay for Life are passions of mine, and I love participating in these activities. For the past four years, I have worked in the Office of Admissions on campus. Since my freshmen year, I have been a tour guide with the Royal Ambassador program. I love giving tours of our campus and sharing my Scranton story with prospective students. At the end of my sophomore year, I was selected to be a Co-Director of the Royal Ambassadors. I have truly enjoyed this position, and we help organize many different activities on campus, like campus tours, Open Houses, the Royal Nights Program, Freshmen Preview Day, Inauguration, and Commemcement activities. I have the opportunity of working with other undergraduate students, which I really enjoy. Overall, I love to be able to provide others with information about my school and what I love about Scranton with students. Some of my favorite activities have been through the University Ministries and Community Outreach office. Through both of these offices, I have engaged in volunteer opportunities and gone on a retreat. Since volunteer work is an important part of the Jesuit ideals, students do a lot of volunteer work at Scranton. Through the Community Outreach office, I have engaged in a variety of volunteer opportunities in the city of Scranton, on campus and in different areas of the country. For the past two years, I have volunteered at the Gino Merli Veteran Center downtown, and this is a health care center for veterans and their spouses. I love interacting with the residents, and I help with the different activities the residents, like bingo and bowling activities. I also volunteer at the Jane Kopas Women's Center on campus, which provides different volunteer opportunities to promote women's empowerment and raise awareness about gender-based violence. For the past two years, I went on two spring break service trips. My first was to a west Philadelphia neighborhood in PA, and the second was to the Appalachian Region to Hurley, VA. Both of these trips were life-changing experiences for me, and I learned many things about the people I met and myself as a person. This upcoming spring break in March, I will be going on my third service trip to Washington, D.C. to volunteer at a homeless shelter for men in the D.C. area. A few weeks ago, I went on a retreat called the "Three Day Silent Retreat." I, along with other students, went to the Universty's retreat house on Chapman Lake and engaged in reflective prayer, relaxed for awhile and remained silent for the weekend. It was nice to get away from school and focus on faith. These activities has allowed me to discover the true meaning of being "men and women for others." I always valued volunteer work, and I was truly happy to continue at Scranton. They have provided me with meaningful experiences that I will never forget. Overall, we have a lot of great activities on our campus for students to get involved and participate. The University of Scranton Programming Borad, a student organization on campus, sponsors many great activities on campus. They provide Late Night programs so that stduents can have fun with their friends and take a break from studying. We have different music groups and comedians that come to campus, and, periodically, movies are screened for students. My favorite movies they screened were the Harry Potter movies, and they had some great door prizes! Every year, they hold a Spring Concert. This past May, B.o.B performed on campus. I really enjoyed the concert, and I had a great time with my friends. All of these events and activities we have on campus promote our sense of community at Scranton and allow students to enjoy their college experiences to the fullest.

The classes that I have taken at Scranton have allowed me to decide what I would like to do in my life and pursue my interests. In my major classes in Counseling and Human Services, I have been able to learn skills that I will be able to use throughout my professional career. Also, I have had the chance to challenge myself through stepping out of my comfort zone. These experiences, which have come through assignments, projects and service learning opportunities, have helped me learn more about myself. While the courses are challenging, faculty take the time to assist you in any way they can. Ultimately, they want their studetns to be successful and pursue their aspirations. I have been able to develop valued realtionships with faculty members, and they have been a great support to me as I have pursued my undergraduate degree. In all of my classes, my professors have known my name and have taken the time to know me as a person. I realized since my freshmen year how important my academic coursework is, and I have had the opportunity to engage in learning and studying. Yet, with graduation looming in the near future, I fell that my education at Scranton has prepared me to take the next step in my professional development. Upon graduation, I will be continuing my graduate studies at Scranton in the school counseling master's program. Through my courses, conversations I have had with professors and internship experiences, I have decided that I would like to be a school counselor. In deciding this, my professors assisted me with the graduate admissions process. I want to continue at Scranton because I know I will have the opportunity to continue to grow and develop as a professional and individual. I will be able to learn more skills as a counselor, and I will be prepared to work in the school counseling field. Even after four years of undergradute work, I know that Scranton will continue to be a significant part of my life for years to come.

Overall, the students at the University of Scranton have a common bond that has allowed us to form a community: friendliness and understanding for others. As a student at Scranton, I have had the privilege to meet some of the greatest friends I have ever had. Almost everyone that I have met here has shown a desire to know the individual person, rather them identifying with one norm. While most of us come from a variety of places, Scranton students are able to find a commonality in a desire to be men and women for others. As a whole, students are dedicated to serving other people and getting to know the individual.

Jamie

The University of Scranton is by far my favorite place in the whole world. It is the perfect size with the perfect class sizes so that all who are in the room know your name. It is such a friendly community. There is so much to do in the city and be a part of on the campus... I am never bored!

Intramural sports are very popular on campus and most students are involved in the club that pertains to the major. The Spring Concerts and movie nights hosted by the University of Scranton Programming board always have a large turnout as well and students love the many events their are to participate in on the weekends.

Most students that attend the University of Scranton are from PA, NJ, NY but there are many that are not. Students are VERY involved in extracurricular activities whether it is a sport, club, or community service. Life on campus is relaxed and most people dress relaxed to class unless they are giving formal presentations. There are always people in the cafeteria because the food is outstanding. It is a friendly student body in general.

Every single professor I have ever had knows my name and I have created excellent relationships with the! Students often study together and make friends in their classes because of the small class size. Class participation is very common because of the friendly and open atmosphere.

Some people believe that University of Scranton Students are very religious because it is a Catholic school. While this may be true in some cases it is not that way for all by any means. It is also a common stereotype that the university if too small much like high school when in fact compared to may others its size it feels much larger.

Victoria

Scranton is truly like its own little town, the beautiful buildings, skyline and grounds make it feel like a utopia also known as, Scrantonia. You might not think that this is possible with only 5,000 students but Scranton is the perfect size, I know enough people to feel at home and don’t know too many people to feel like everyone is in my business. I am now a junior and I rarely need to leave campus. The food is fantastic, the gym is top notch and the college buildings encompass the best technologies and most educated professors. Scranton is a school on the rise. Constant construction is being done to make the school even more stellar. The interesting thing is that the campus is not messy at all! It's almost like a squad of elves is working to clean up every second. The cleaning staff is SO FRIENDLY and they are truly happy with their jobs and enjoy providing us with a clean living environment. When you come to visit Scranton I ASSURE you that you will feel welcomed and any staff member or student that you choose to converse with will be happy to talk to you. Scranton is a work hard play hard school for sure. I’ll be honest the classes are NOT easy, but that’s what you’re paying for! If you want to get a noteworthy education you have to work for it and at Scranton you will. However cutting loose on the weekends is not uncommon students here excel in their academics during the week and take a break on Friday and Saturday nights then hit the library on Sunday.

There are so many..... Scranton is division 3 but sports teams take themselves pretty seriously and are competitive. Championship games are popular and a lot of students attend especially men and women’s basketball. There are a whole slew of club sports that anyone can get involved in and even if that is too much commitment there are intermural sports that are just for fun! There are workout classes taught by students such as Zumba, aerobics, yoga and kickboxing. The new gym is superb and the majority of Scranton students are in very good shape. In the freshman dorms students normally leave their doors open in an effort to meet new people. Freshman dorms split up males and females by floor and even in some buildings by sex. But sophomore and upperclassmen dorms are only divided by room. Sophomore dorms are quad style living situations and upperclassmen live in beautiful apartments. The dating scene at Scranton is there but not that big of a deal. There are no sororities or fraternities but there are sports houses where you might find yourself on the weekends. If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday and it’s not you or your friend’s birthday then you’re studying; sorry. There is plenty to do on a Saturday night if you choose not to drink. There is a movie theatre three blocks away, a mall and a ton of fun restaurants. Also the programming board at Scranton always hosts events on campus like game nights, movies and other fun events on the weekends.

The majority of students here are white, class Americans from the North East region of the US who have been raised Catholic. All students here are polite and accepting of stuents who are not like themselves. There are groups of other races around campus who are well liked by all the rest. There is no"polularity" at Scranton, everyone is friendly and if a lot of people know and like you then congradulations you're just like everyone else! Students here are either on scholarship and extremely motivated to make money one day for themselves and their familie or here on daddy's pocket change and don't really feel an obligation to work hard. However the majority is here for the right reasons; to get educated.

You will have to work for your grades here, this isn’t a “joke school” professors here will not give you anything you dint earn, and that’s what you are paying for. You will have to know what you’re learning not just pretend that you’re following because that won’t work. You will spend your weekdays studying and doing hard work but can definitely find time for fun and a social life so long as you have a small ability to budget your time.

Scranton students are all very different without a doubt. Some are preps, some are geeks, some jocks, hippies and some don't even classify themselves. However all Scranton students are clean, classy and well raised. Most come from Catholic middle class families who prioritize manners and politeness, this really shows around campus and in classes....even in the bars!

Camille

The first thing that people say when I tell them I go to the University of Scranton is, “Scranton? Isn’t that where the Office is?” Unfortunately, I’ve never gotten into the show. But from what I do know, the characters have very different personalities that sometimes clash, but in the end makes for a great collaborative team. Here at Scranton, not one person has the same personality. We may not always get along, but in the end we’ll always hold the door open for one another, or pick each other up after slipping down the Commons on a rainy day. Throughout my four years of attending the university, I have built relationships that could last me a lifetime. I have found my best friends who I can count on through volunteer opportunities, retreats and any event that helps us grow as a community. Not only are the students amazing, but the faculty and staff are as well. I can’t find a single person on campus that is not completely in love with the women that greet you before you swipe onto 3rd floor DeNaples cafeteria. In every single one of my jobs on campus, all of my supervisors are more than supportive. They focus on how my strengths can positively influence their office. They also push me in areas where I need more improvement. This school is very small, which has its pros and cons. I see students that I have never met before almost three times a day. I feel like we’re friends, but I don’t even know their name. However, the small class sizes are beneficial to each student. Each student has extra attention from their teachers in class, which helps me learn more efficiently. I know this sounds cliché, but I spend most of my time in the library. As a resident assistant (RA) for freshman girls, my dorm room may not be the most conducive place to get studying done. Depending on the severity of studying needed, I like to stay on the 2nd floor tables. It’s not too quiet, and I don’t feel as secluded as I would in a cubicle on the 5th floor, also known as the quiet floor. Plus, I can always take frequent breaks from studying to say hi to someone walking by. This campus has a lot of school pride. Not a day goes by when I don’t see someone in the cafeteria or even on the commons wearing some sort of Scranton gear. The sports teams, clubs and organizations love to show off their clothing. I even see students wearing clothing representing their dorm, showing how proud they are to live in the residence halls. However, not everything is rainbows and butterflies in Scranton. As a matter of fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a rainbow here. The weather is bipolar. One day, students can be throwing a Frisbee around on the green, while the sun is shining and everyone’s sitting outside on the DeNaples patio. Then the next day it could torrential downpour to the point where rain boots, an umbrella and a raincoat just aren’t cutting it. What’s next? Snow on Halloween?

I love my program. I don’t know a single person that absolutely hates their major. They may complain about the workload, but in the end they know that they are heading in the right direction. I love being an occupational therapy major and I love the girls in my class. I have spent the last four years in every single OT class with them, and I would not have it any other way. The Occupational Therapy department helps me prepare for the real world, more than I had ever expected. Each teacher knows your name and if they don’t, they definitely know your face. Ever since my junior year, I have experienced two different settings and fields of OT. This coming summer, I will have my own client base and will be working independently, with help and guidance from my supervisor of course. I don’t have a favorite or a least favorite class. In each class I learn my strengths and weaknesses, how I work best and what I need to work on. The workload may be hard, but it’s what makes this major distinctive. Class participation is common and often required. Professors understand that there are some students that are quiet and shy, but it is part of their responsibility as our educators to challenge us to step out of our comfort zone. The most unique class I’ve ever taken is Introduction to Logic. This may have been one of the most challenging classes on campus. In this Philosophy elective, we discussed logical arguments and changed the sentences into symbols. You can only imagine my frustration, especially since this had nothing to do with my major! However, the professor of the class was very helpful. We were always welcome to come during open office hours if we had any questions and would gladly go over any concepts we were unsure of before our exams. In the end, I learned a lot about organization and logical reasoning, two things I will definitely need in the medical field and my everyday life.

Many outsiders have told me their impression of the University of Scranton students. I’ve been told that all the students are preppy and rich. I admit that upon arrival at The University of Scranton I thought that the campus was full of "preppy" students and that there wasn’t much diversity. As far as the eye can see, the boys know how to dress well with their Ralph Lauren button downs, khakis and snapbacks, and girls find comfort in black yoga pants, Northface jackets and UGG boots. Most of the time, you will also find students wearing pajamas and sweatpants to class. But after getting to know most of the students on campus, I realize that my first impression was completely wrong and that looks aren’t everything. There is much more to a person than how they dress or how they look. All of the students at the University of Scranton are unique and bring their strengths to our community. It is the students that make this campus so great.

University of Scranton administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.