Scranton, PA
University of Scranton

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Scranton

Julia

I absolutely love The University of Scranton! I visited about 20 different colleges. Scranton was my last visit and I'm so glad that I kept looking. This was the biggest school I looked at but I have found it to be the perfect size because it's not so small that it feels like high school but it's not so big that it's overwhelming. As an Undecided student, I loved that we have 61 majors to choose from and I also had so much help from our Career Services office. My professors are always there to help me with whatever I need and the small class sizes make it easy to get to know all of the other students. Getting involved on campus has also opened me up to so many new opportunities. In high school, I never would have imagined that I could develop so many different interests and The University of Scranton has helped me to grow in so many ways!

As a Catholic Jesuit university, there can be a stereotype that all students at The University of Scranton are very religious or that they are all Catholic. While we do have Catholic students and there are many religious opportunities available for students to participate in, you do not have to be Catholic to come here! I do not have a religious affiliation and I have been able to thrive in the Jesuit community. It creates a warm and welcoming environment for all different types of students. Students are able to practice other faiths in the Scranton community and all are welcome to events offered on campus. I have participated in several retreats and I have really enjoyed the chance to explore my own spirituality.

Alex

I think the best thing about Scranton is the introduction to the University. What I mean by that is, when I was a nervous freshman, I had ample opportunity to really ground myself here and develop relationships with my fellow classmates, who would eventually become good friends of mine. It's hard to really pinpoint, but I really think back fondly on that volatile time in my first few months here when I was still coming to my own opinion about Scranton, and I think about how easily I was able to adjust and make friends. The way those first few months are set up in terms of club activities, intramurals, course schedule, residence life and various events for freshman, it just makes the transition from high school to college very natural. If I could change one thing, I would want us to have a football team and I'd want it to be strongly supported. I think having a football game every other Saturday or so in fall would better this school. Our school size was perfect for me. At around 4,000 undergraduates, Scranton's size is big enough to allow for the possibility to meet new people everyday, but small enough that you'll get very familiar with the faces of many of the people in your class. When I tell people that I go to Scranton I get a few reactions. The most common is, "Oh, so you must love The Office!" (I do, in fact, love The Office). I have also been asked a lot about the reputation of the science program (which is traditionally strong). Some people have not heard of Scranton at all, but it's reputation is growing very steadily on the east coast. I wouldn't define Scranton as a "college town". We are a college in the center of a town. The campus is centralized and not spread throughout the city, so when you're on campus, the feel is quite different from when you're in the city. In terms of "School pride," I would say that students, for the most part, are very dedicated to the Scranton way. We don't, however, have a lot of support for athletics teams. Our school pride does not translate to the athletics fields, but I would say that there is a lot of love for this place in the student population.

Class sizes here are very small. All the professors who I have taken know my name within the first two weeks of classes. I very much like my philosophy classes (I am a biochemistry/philosophy major). Last semester, I took a seminar-based philosophy class with seven other students. We read texts from Aquinas, the professor would give a three or four minute synopsis of the reading, then we would spend the next hour and ten minutes of class discussing that texts (with the professor contributing to the discussion as a peer rather than as a lecturer). I thought that class allowed us to see the work from a very different and wonderfully interesting perspective compared to the usual lecture style class. My least favorite class was Spanish. I just don't have a mind for languages. I get tongue-tied and frustrated very easily when studying languages. It makes me a very reluctant participant in class, and I don't feel I got much out of my classroom style Spanish classes (but I think my personality and reluctance to work through some of the more difficult parts of the language contributed to that). Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. Recently, we had "Food Justice Week" on campus and many of the conversations I heard over the course of that week were somehow related to that end. Although, I think the majority of conversations around campus will not be intellectual in nature (you'll hear mostly about the playoff woes of the Yankees or Phillies, about weekend plans or social stories), I still think many Scranton students engage in many intellectual conversations outside of the classroom. Scranton breeds an academic atmosphere of support. Students do not compete with each other for grades. The quality of your individual work will speak for itself, and beating another person does nothing for the quality of your grade in a class. Students help each other here, our focus is on success as a group rather than simply being the best individually. The most unique class I ever took here was "The Trivium," a wild public speaking and writing class taught by perhaps simultaneously the most brilliant and most eccentric professor I've met here, Dr. Stephen Whittaker. The class featured five high pressure speeches, all culminating in a recitation of Plato's "Phaedrus" from memory. We performed this recitation in the student center, at lunch time, while clad in Grecian-style togas. Speaking in such high pressure, nerve-wracking situations has made all later public speaking situations seem incredibly easy. I do research one-on-one in the microbiology department with Dr. Michael Sulzinski. Myself and several other biochemistry students have spent time with him outside of the classroom, even going to a barbecue at his home. The school requires a liberal arts background for all its students. I think this contributes to our character and our depth as a campus, and I think it is a good requirement. It really depends on your major whether the education here is focused on getting a job or learning for its own sake. I greatly value my education in philosophy, but I do not think that I will get a job based on it. I have read and tried to understand the classics for the sake of learning them. However, I think my background in science will greatly help me get a job. I believe I will be in medical school next year, hopefully on my way to eventually beginning a career as a doctor. I think all the material covered here is given a depth here due to the liberal arts focus of the school, but I also think this information (after being considered in and of itself) often times leads to opportunities for jobs after graduation.

Scranton students are generally perceived as extremely friendly and very social, sometimes overly so. I'd say that that stereotype holds pretty well. Most of the students I've run into in my time here have a tendency to approach people rather than avoid them. There are, few and far between, those students who prefer to isolate themselves, but I would say they represent a minority. Scranton mixes a strong science program well with a reputable business school and a care-centered school of professional studies which provides a mix of students with varying personalities and priorities. The overarching atmosphere that I believe comes through very early in an education here, though, is the laid back and friendly nature of the majority of the other students. I think many of students spend a lot time actively trying to continue that tradition.

Misty

Education is extremely important to me and always has been. I've made great efforts to gain knowledge about the medical field in order to prepare myself for my career.       My dream of working in the medical field has been my number one goal since childhood. My career goals have always been the driving force in my decisions regarding my future.       Even after I get my degree as a Respiratory Therapist, I feel that goals will continue to motivate me. With my goals driving me, I don't think there is anything I cannot accomplish!       Receiving this scholarship will help me to accomplish the goal I've set for myself. Because I'm not financially blessed I will need to receive help from as many avenues as possible. I am hopeful that you will feel I am deserving enough for the help you are providing. Sincerely, Misty D. Caldwell

Kristina

The University of Scranton is an institution devoted to preparing students for outstanding success in prestigious careers.

The personal attention available to every student is the best thing about Scranton. Classrooms almost/possibly never exceed forty students, and therefore the professor is able to really get to know and give attention to every student outside the classroom if needed. The size also allows for every student to make last-minute appointments with advisors and other offices.

Matthew

My school is a very close community and I absolutely love it, we are all there to help each other.

My experience so far is so valuable to me. I have really learned a lot about the journalism field and I was able to apply what I learned to a job I held this winter. I saw firsthand what my teachers were telling me in the classroom.

Sometimes I think about how much money I am spending to go here but it is well worth it.

Anna

The most important thing I have gotten out of my college experience so far is myself. College has taught me who am I, and how important it is to keep to my beliefs and not compromise myself. I think I used to struggle with being myself, but attending college has allowed me to see how important that is. It has been incredibly valuable for me to attend college because I now have more confidence and I'm not afraid to be myself.

It's a lot of partying, and if that's not your thing, then it's seems like you're not in the "in" crowd.

Someone who like the Jesuit mindset and knows themselves and wants to do well.

Meggen

I have always dreamed of going to college. I never considered any other option. I know that if I work hard at school that it will pay off later down the road. Even though I was not keen on going to a community college at first I actually quite enjoyed it. I learned a lot of information from my professors and met many nice people. I am a very shy person and I was able to become more confident and open when I went to college. It helped me take another step into my adult future, which can be scary sometimes. I learned that college was not as scary as I thought it was going to be and that if I work hard everything will work out. I love going to class and learning information everyday. I feel smart and I feel that I am doing something great with my life. I cannot imagine not going to college. Having a degree from any college offers you many more opportunities that just a regular high school diploma or GED. Watching other parents coming back to college made me realize that going directly from high school to college was a smart choice.

elliana

my first year in college i had the mentality of fun and games, so did not put much effort in school and my classes. then, i realized that working at a pizza parlor was not going to get me far, so i decided and made a goal to get my AA in criminal justice. i have always enjoyed law enforcement and helping improve the community. one major thing that inspired me to become a probation officer was to witness my older brother take advantange of his probation officer, and well to actually not take his probation officer serious. all of this has to do how lenient and unconsistent the probation officer was. so i thought to myself that i want to become a probation officer and do all that is in my power to help people in desperate need to keep away from drugs and alcohol. i have learned so much throughout my years in college, in regards to law and life in general. education is not only necessary but worth it because you become someone in life and can help yourself and others .

Matthew

During my first year at college, I have learned that my future is in my own hands. How I handle my daily responsibilities is up to me and I will have to face consequences for my decisions in life. Being away at college has taught me how to be more responsible and to appreciate all that my parents have done for me throughout my life up to this point. Along with a wonderful education, I am also living my dream of playing college soccer. That has been something I have dreamed about since I was 8 years old. I have formed friendships that I know will last a lifetime and that in itself is a valuable learning experience. I have learned that there are people in this world willing to help you and to take advantage of all opportunities that are offered to you. I have been given an opportunity to attend The University of Scranton and look forward to my next 3 years there to continue my education.

Before I came to the University of Scranton, I wish I had known how much different it would really be from high school and how I would have to manage my time to fit in my varsity sport and my school work. I wish I had listened to my mother about how important it is to start out strong to get a high GPA.

A student who does not wish to be a part of a medium sized university family should not attend this school. If you are not looking for a university with so many opportunities to offer, you should also not attend. A person other then someone looking to gain the most out of their education, should also not attend. A person that is not looking to form friendships that will last a life time along with being involved in student activities should not attend the University of Scranton for that is a school that has nothing but good things to offer.

Morgan

The University of Scranton is best known for its reputation as an outstanding institute of higher learning, especially when it comes to the sciences. It is a Jesuit University and holds its students to high standards when it comes to acedemic achievement, and personal growth and development.

Hey Morgan! I know you think college is all about socializing and having fun, but it?s also tons of hard work. Yeah I know you have heard this speech before but not from me and who knows you better than I do? You say you will be different then, that you will work harder and do what you need to do. It?s not that simple. There will be a million distractions around (boys). You are going to be living with your friends and there will always be something more exciting (college boys) than the chapter of biology waiting to be read. Yep I know how much you love hanging out with the guys, but they are not going to help you reach your dreams. You cannot afford to skip the assigned reading, or skip classes (and no sleeping in the back does not count as going), and then just quickly glance over your incomplete notes moments before the exam. I know it works now, but it won?t then. Trust me I tried. My advice have study sessions with your friends, then go to the library and by yourself, and actually study without the gossiping and boys.

I feel that the best thing about the University of Scranton is the community you feel the moment you step on campus, as a Jesuit University we are always looking out for our fellow brothers and sisters. By the end of your four years you will with out a doubt have two familes, one biological family that got you were you are on graduation day, and one larger Scranton Family that stood beside you for four years as you continued to grow and develop into the person you are. The second family is what makes the University so amazing.

University of Scranton administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.