Scranton, PA
University of Scranton

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Scranton

Kristofer

We are what we choose to become, it really is that easy. It actually starts from the moment you walked out of the classroom in your senior year and continues on throughout life. With focus on completing the steps towards obtaining my degree; I must realize it is something I have sole control over in my life. Once I have a belief, it should held on to it for dear life, and there will always be things that are encounter along the way. Though knowledge is what seperates everyone though its also what brings us closer together! These ideas could be a small change to an exsisting item, or something thats still is in the dream process. We all will format our ideas; that we believe could make the world a better place, though the majority that hold a particular degree are first heard and primarily are the one's whose idea's are chosen. At least once in our life we'll all label something in our mind and then make a decision about it. But, with the right source of education and thinking skills, I will soon be prepared to make those choices and get my voice heard.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell him many things to improve his college life. First I would tell myself to go for as many scholarships as possible. I realize now that college is not cheap and the scholarships would be very helpful when it comes time to pay for school. The second piece of advice I would give to myself is to go to the writing center. The writing center is so useful when I need help writing an essays and papers. The final piece of advice I would give myself is to not procrastinate After a while all the work will become overwhelming and your grades will suffer.

Before I went to the University of Scranton school I wish I had known how easy it was for me to meet people and make friends. When most students go to orientation they are very nervous. They are meeting new people and are going to new places. But very quickly in college that changes the new students begin to make friends and become comfortable at the school.

The University Of Scranton is a very good school it is full of great teachers and many majors. There is one very tiny problem with the school. The campus is on a hill. So the students have to walk up a hill every day to get to their dorm rooms.

Kelly

I would tell myself to look more into colleges earlier on instead of waiting until last second and to take the search more seriously. To look more into the academics and financial aid packages of the schools and to actually visit more than 4 schools. I would also tell myself to look in to financial aid more because it is costly to attend a good university and to also do work study, because every little bit helps.

There is a friendly warm vibe on campus. Our school is the perfect size. You may not know everyone on campus, but you do see many familiar faces. Student run organizations are all over the place with activity and there is ALWAYS something going on on campus each week. Campus doesn't die on the weekends, it's actually quite lively. There is a lot to do here, and when you find you're friends, you become family.

A person who is friendly, upbeat, and outgoing. The academics is not a joke, it is hard work, unless you are a communications or counseling major. Many people are tend to fit that all-american, american eagle wearing, jock/cheerleader stereo type. So if you fit that, you'll blend in. However, if you don't, and you are that quirky intelligent odd kid, no worries, we all hang out together.

Leah

My classmates thus far have been easy to get along with, fun to work with in and out of class, and helpful in times of need.

If I could go back and talk to myself knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to relax. Choosing a college is an important decision, but it is not a matter of life or death. I think the most important thing for a high school student to consider when choosing a school is how they feel during a visit. I knew right away when I visited Scranton that I would be comfortable here. Walking around campus and talking to students felt natural to me. I would also advise high school students to talk to people who go to the schools they are looking at and ask HONEST questions. The only way to find anything out is to ask questions, so if you have them, voice them. Chances are, the people you talk to will be very genuine in their responses and can really provide you with a lot more information than you would find in a brochure or online. Most importantly, know what you are looking for in a school and find one that meets most if not all of your wants and needs.

Students looking to attend a large university with Greek life and a strong focus on sports would not be a good fit for this school. The University of Scranton does not have any Greek life, nor does it have a football team.

Meghan

The university of scranton is a wonderful school filled with caring professors, enthusiastic students, and friendly staff that become like family.

If I were lucky enough to go back in time and give advice to myself as a highschool senior I would assure myself that I needn't worry about making friends or missing home. Just be yourself and you'll fit right in and do fine. I would also tell myself to get organized. I had heard that line for years and years but it never really sunk in. I realized once I got to college that scheduling and time management were lifelines in a sea of work and I wished I had learned how to master my time more effieciently so I could fit in both my studies and my friends.

I was going to say that someone who is close minded but after thinking about it there is really no one type of person that wouldnt do well in scranton. I was shy and terrified of college and in less than one year I have made a complete turn around. Scranton finds a place for everyone be they shy, extroverted, athletic, artsy, brilliant, or an average student.

My classmates are very creative and eager to learn.

My classmates are very creative and eager to learn.

My school is best known for sudents to receive excellent careers upon graduation due to the links of alumni.

I would tell myself to be more outgoing as a freshman to have a better first college semester. To not be shy and to be yourself because there will always be people in the world who love you and hate you for how you are.

Chastity

The University of Scranton has a lot to offer its students; there are a range of different programs that match the interests of the students.

My advice to myself would be not to waste time. There are certain things that need to be done in a timely manner and so many issues could be avoided simply by not putting them off. I would also tell myself not to worry too much because everything will work out, possibly better than I expected. As far as making the transition to college life I would tell myself not to be nervous. There are people going who are just like me; alone for the first time without parents around everyday. However, it really is not as bad as I was always worried about. There is always a way to get home if I really feel the need to be there and family is only a phone call away. I would tell myself to relax and also to study hard, even though the classes may seem easy the finals can be brutal.

I wish I had known a bit more about the city of Scranton before I came to this school. It wouldn't have really altered my decision but I may have been more prepared to adjust to a new environment.

Jacqueline

After successfully completing one semester of college, there are a few things I wish I had done in high school, especially during my senior year. I had to opprotunity in high school to take various AP couses but I only chose to take two. So if I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior I would tell myself to challenge yourself and take a few more AP courses. Another thing I wish I had done, especially during my senior year of high school, was to be more outgoing. I have always been a shy, quiet girl but times in college made me wonder what my life as a high school senior would have been like if I had been more outgoing. College has definately changed that and I am glad but I sometimes wish I had chosen to be more outgoing in high school. There is one last piece of advice I would give myself. That is to always work hard. I have learned, through my studies in college, that hard work truely does pay off. The only way you can achieve goals is to work hard at it and never give up.

Before I came to the University of Scranton I wish I had known more about the city itself. My impressesion of Scranton, the city, before attending school there was totally different from what I have seen thus far.

It is hard to think about the worst thing about my school because I truely am enjoying every moment so far. I would have to say, however, that one of the downfalls of my school that I notice right now is that fact that there are not many activities and trips that students can go on on the weekends. At orientation, the admissions staff informed us that there would be trips to NYC and activities but I have yet to hear about one.

Unfortunately, I feel that The University of Scranton is best known for its constant battle with alcohol abuse. Many students from surrounding states and counties prioritize our University for its alcohol association. I have witnessed the administration strive to impede this problem numerous times in only my first semester on campus; however, I feel that their attempts have failed and will continue to fail if they neglect to offer alternative options for students. I am afraid that if changes aren?t made quickly enough our University will be most known for something even worse.

Whether we?d like to admit it or not, many of us enjoy enduring our own mistakes on our own time. We may hear innumerable accounts of advice given by our parents, our friends or our colleagues; however, we usually disregard their counsels and prefer to experience life on our own. Little do we learn, but we all eventually begin to make those same mistakes and simultaneously we think back to the generous suggestions of our loved ones. Habitually, I too enjoy ?learning on my own? and like everything else I needed to undergo my own college experiences. If I could go back in time and convince myself otherwise, I would do it in a heartbeat. First, I would tell myself that unless I was dangerously contagious with a worldwide epidemic, to go to class. Missing a class in college is equivalent to missing a week in high school ? it?s nearly impossible to catch up. Next, I would suggest using the gym and the library as often as possible ? neither studying nor exercising can be accomplished in a dorm room! Lastly, I would advise myself to make every moment count because these are the best years of your life!

A person who is unwilling to work hard, to learn or to reach their fullest potential should not attend the University of Scranton. This University offers countless opportunities for growth on academic, spiritual and social levels. Those who are open to those growths will succeed and those who act upon those growths will triumph.

Laura

When I visited the University of Scranton as a high school senior, words like "Jesuit tradition" and "community" were used commonly throughout the tour. I have to admit--I was a little skeptical. After all, tour guides try to sell the school by making it sound extra-wonderful. Now, however, after successfully completing my first semester at the University, I can honestly say that these phrases are used because, quite simply, they accurately describe our campus. I think it's that feeling of community and the heavy emphasis on Jesuit values that sets Scranton apart from other schools.

If I had the chance to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that there is a reason why everyone stresses the importance of time management. The teachers, alumnae, college counselors, and everyone else who tries to imprint the phrase "time management" onto the brains of high school seniors, are not doing so simply for their health. Although it was the most repetitve, and eventually one of the most annoying phrases, I heard as a senior, it really is the most important key to college. There is so much down time during the course of a typical day in college, and time management helps to keep me on schedule and ahead of the game--and deadlines. Although I was able to quickly make the adjustment and use my time adequately, if I had done so from the start, it would have saved me a stressful first couple of weeks. To save myself from extra stress, I would remind my high school senior self to not only remember, but also implement the principle of time management.

The worst thing about the University of Scranton, besides the freezing weather, of course, is the lack of diversity among the students. Coming from a very diverse high school, it has been a challenge walking around a campus where, quite frankly, most students dress, talk, and act very similarly. Although the city of Scranton is very diverse, the University is mostly Caucasian. I wish that there was a larger range of ethnicities and cultures.

University of Scranton administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.