Scranton, PA
University of Scranton

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Scranton

Heath

My classmates vary between those who are serious-minded going into pre-medical fields and those of various dedication who are pursuing four-year degrees with plans to immidiately enter the work force.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself two major peices of advice. The first would be to remain very aware of academic rigor. College is very different from high school in the aspect that professors do not ease into topics as instructors do in high school. From day one, a new college student should begin preparing for the first exams, even if it seems unnecessary. The second peice of advice would be to recognize how much less time a college student has to attain and maintain a high grade point average . In college, the semesters are not extensively long and their conclusions come very quickly. Both of those peices of advice can be summarized in one sentence: A college student should work diligently the entire time he or she is engaged in coursework, so that breaks between course demands may be spent revitalizing and, thus, be much less stressful.

The school provides every means to enable freshman to become easily adjusted, socially and academically. All classes and services are within walking distance. There are also copious opportunities for remedial help, if needed or desired.

Jaclyn

The unique thing about Scranton is the compassion that you will find in the people that go there. One could leave their laptop in their dorm with the door wide open for days and it would go untouched. If one loses their camera or debit card at a party, they are more than likely to get it back. Also, at the caf, people put their keys and cell phones down to save their table and they never have to worry about anyone stealing their stuff, it's really nice.

Join a sports team or a time committing club, because although it may be time consuming, it will teach you time management and it will introduce you to a close knit team or group that you can always be count on to be around for dinners and going out. Not that I'm not content with my friends now or anything, I love them and I wouldn't change them for the world, but it's a great social aspect and it's rewarding to have that team bond. It is definitely something to take advantage of and it is a great adjustment factor.

The best thing about my school is the friendly environment. I never feel awkward asking for help among the administration or the students, because everyone is just so welcoming. Even though Scranton is a small city, there is never a dull moment there just because the people there make it such a fun environment and that's the best environment to live and learn around.

Natalie

My school is best known for excelling in the medical professions, such as Occupational Therapy. I am currently in that major and love the program. 100% of the program's students do well on the national board exams and are placed into jobs relatively quickly. The programs for Nursing and Physical Therapy are equally as good, with success rates at about the same. The school's Pre-Med and other science fields are also well-known, and the school is currently working on constructing a new and updated science building to accomodate these majors.

I remeber being very nervous for college, but especially over small things like doing laundry, (since I've been blessed to have my Mom do it), getting up for class on time, talking to professors, etc. I realize now that these things can all be accomplished with enough confidence and perseverance, and that really, there is nothing to be afraid of. I would advice my high-school self, "everyone is going through similar things and has similar worries. They are all in the same boat as you!" To continue with the confidence boost, I would tell myself to "believe in yourself because you know yourself best. Asking for people's help and opinions is smart, but it is ultimately you in the end who has to make the decision. Go with your gut and don't stress out over small things. Believe in yourself!" It is true that many of these feelings I had then have not completely gone away, and I often need to remind myself of these things. But I believe this is what makes me human and most importantly MYSELF. I cannot overcome my fears overnight; I must condition them slowly and allow time.

There is nothing I would consider the "worst" about my school, but I have had a few issues in regards to Residence Life, singing opportunities, and availability of meal plans. Last year, Residence Life messed up some of sophomore housing so that there were more options for boys but not enough for girls. In terms of singing, there are only two groups for singing, which I and my friend are trying to change. Finally, there are only three options for meal plans; unlimited, 14-meal plan, and 10 meal-plan. I believe there should be more to choose from.

Chris

The University of Scranton is probably best known for the people who are a part of it. I've been there since August and figured that since it was many kids' first times away from home living with people their own age, tensions would flare up and people would be less than friendly. To my surprise, I've yet to meet one student, faculty, or staff member who hasn't been helpful or made my transition away from home simple.

In terms of managing time and being academically successful, I would advise that there is nothing more important than going to class. It's sometimes easy to skip class because nobody is forcing you to go and it seems like you can just read the assigned material and still do well. This is harder than it sounds, however. Not only is cutting class a waste of time and money, but sometimes just being in class hearing the professor lecture and taking notes is the easiest way to retain information. When it comes to the social aspect of college, the only thing I would really say is be yourself. You may want to act like somebody else to try and impress girls make friends but nobody likes a liar. Be friendly and accomodating - invite new people to hang out with you, share your snacks and movies, or just go out of your way to talk to someone you wouldn't normally think to approach.

I would say the most frustration I've encountered has been scheduling next semester's courses. My first semester course schedule was given to me without my selection of specifically what courses and class times to take. Configuring a schedule that works well for me and the amount of work I have to do proved challenging.

Joseph

The school is small, which was just what I was looking for. I'm not a fan of the large auditoriums and 100+ students in a single class. All my teachers know who I am and I can ask any question that comes to mind about the material.

The amount of work that has to be done is nothing like high school.

Off campus, there is not much to do. I have lived in the Bronx my entire life, where there is always something close by that we could do to keep us out of trouble. Unfortunately, in Scranton, the only thing to do on the weekends is party.

Aimee

As a half-way complete freshman, I would tell myself the following advices. Work hard on deciding what kind of career you want senior year, so you can decide a correct major, therefore freshman year credits aren't wasted on deciding. Take a couple AP courses and TAKE the AP test so you get credits for it, this allows you avoid some Gereral Ed courses during freshman year. Definitely study hard your senior year, do not slack off, or else you will pay the price. When deciding on a college, do not base your choice by where your friend is going to but decide on what is the best enviroment and choice for you. Lastly, College is going to be the best years of your life. The first week or two of college is going to be very hard, but if you pull through those weeks, it will be so much better. Don't quit, don't give up.

The kind of person that take a higher education seriously; Those who appreciate the opportunity that's given to them; and those who are hardworking and driven should attend the University of Scranton.

The most frustrating thing about my scool is that there just aren't enough diversity. I would estimate 99% of the student body is white catholic, with Italian descent. As an Asian American, my appearnance definitely do not fit in. We are in the 21st century, this is not the 1950s, yet people around Scranton still are amused by other races.

Katie

There are several things that The University of Scranton is known for throughout the country. The campus, which is improving everyday, is known to many for its beautiful atmosphere, dorm life, and student center/cafeteria. It is also known for its academics,especially in health and education. Classes and professors are extremely helpful and provide intellect needed after graduation. Last but definitiely not least, The University of Scranton is known for the encouragement of students to perform community service. Students who attend this school strive to "go forth and set the world on fire", inspiration of St. Ignatious of Loyola.

Dear Katie, You may think that you've had plenty of fun in high school, but your college years are some of the best to come. Choose your college wisely and make sure to visit multiple times to check out the campus, academics, athletics, and also people you can relate to. College may become overwhelming at times with an extreme amount of work, but you will come to the realization that the information you learn will be information that will be helpful throughout your entire lifetime and career. You will also make the best of friends who may make an impact on your life as well. Overall, I encourage you to work your hardest and to be open to the opportunities ahead of you. In beginning a new chapter of life, I encourage you to take opportunities, work toward your goals, and do the best to your abilities.

The University of Scranton is a diverse campus, in which a worthy education is provided to each student. Although most students here are middle class United States citizens, The University calls to and welcomes all who are interested. The students and faculty each are extremely kind, comforting, and personable. In complete honesty, I enjoy the company of each person I know on campus and feel very comfortable with all my professors. Assistance in any area is offered to any one who may be in need.

It is a Jesuit University with a great sense of morality and high educational values.

Try not to worry about new things. Having to learn an entirely new routine is difficult and can be stressful. It is important to take things one step at a time and relax. Try to live in the moment and enjoy the experience for what it is worth because like high school, college will go by fast.

The best thing about my school is the broad opportunities in academics and sports. The varied opportunities are especially good for undecided students. There is a very broad range of experiences available.

Alanna

There is an enormous amount of school pride when first entering the school. Great orientation programs that are very welcoming. Campus is located in a very old sector of Pennsylvania, making it rich in history.

I would say "don't change who you are." A lot of people tend to want to change as an adaptation-type response to a new environment when you don't know anyone. It becomes easy to lose old friends and replace them with new ones for that reason. I would also say "choose your friends wisely," there are a lot of people that come and go, but the ones who stay are the most important and the ones that you can count on for a lifetime of experiences. Lastly, I would say "make the best of it, because it flies." I cannot believe I've come this far; it seems like just yesterday I started college.

Occupational therapy/Physical therapy students, Pre-med students, ethnically diverse students.

Katherine

The University of Scranton is a hidden gem in the north eastern Pennsylvania region due to its stellar academic reputation, its dedication to serving the local, national and international community as well as its countless options for extracurricular and social activities.

The sense of community that I feel on Scranton's campus is overwhemingly wonderful. Everyone has been incredibly friendly and welcoming from day when I moved in as a freshman. Moving onto an unfamiliar campus away from family and friends is intimidating, but the upperclassmen treat you as one of them and the teachers not only want to educate you, but also help you to be the best person you can be. Faculty members are there to mentor students and also be their life-long friend.

Freshman year is about figuring out who you truly are , it's about experiencing new ideas, thoughts and people. However,when you go away to college, stay true to the person that you are, and do not try to be someone you are not, because eventually everyone will see your true colors. In college you will make mistakes, and learn from experiences. You will make new friends, loose new friends and eventually find those life-long friends who will be at your side through the good, the bad and the ugly times. It's not always going to be easy and it is certainly not always going to be fun, but everything you experience along the way will prepare you for what is to come. Don't let others sway you into doing something you don't want to do or are uncomfortable with, it's not worth it at all! Never burn bridges and keep a constant smile on your face, it makes people wonder what you are up to. Most importantly, have a little fun once in a while, you deserve it!

University of Scranton administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.