University of Scranton Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Jeanne

Overall, the students at the University of Scranton have a common bond that has allowed us to form a community: friendliness and understanding for others. As a student at Scranton, I have had the privilege to meet some of the greatest friends I have ever had. Almost everyone that I have met here has shown a desire to know the individual person, rather them identifying with one norm. While most of us come from a variety of places, Scranton students are able to find a commonality in a desire to be men and women for others. As a whole, students are dedicated to serving other people and getting to know the individual.

Jamie

Some people believe that University of Scranton Students are very religious because it is a Catholic school. While this may be true in some cases it is not that way for all by any means. It is also a common stereotype that the university if too small much like high school when in fact compared to may others its size it feels much larger.

Victoria

Scranton students are all very different without a doubt. Some are preps, some are geeks, some jocks, hippies and some don't even classify themselves. However all Scranton students are clean, classy and well raised. Most come from Catholic middle class families who prioritize manners and politeness, this really shows around campus and in classes....even in the bars!

Victoria

Camille

Many outsiders have told me their impression of the University of Scranton students. I’ve been told that all the students are preppy and rich. I admit that upon arrival at The University of Scranton I thought that the campus was full of "preppy" students and that there wasn’t much diversity. As far as the eye can see, the boys know how to dress well with their Ralph Lauren button downs, khakis and snapbacks, and girls find comfort in black yoga pants, Northface jackets and UGG boots. Most of the time, you will also find students wearing pajamas and sweatpants to class. But after getting to know most of the students on campus, I realize that my first impression was completely wrong and that looks aren’t everything. There is much more to a person than how they dress or how they look. All of the students at the University of Scranton are unique and bring their strengths to our community. It is the students that make this campus so great.

Julia

As a Catholic Jesuit university, there can be a stereotype that all students at The University of Scranton are very religious or that they are all Catholic. While we do have Catholic students and there are many religious opportunities available for students to participate in, you do not have to be Catholic to come here! I do not have a religious affiliation and I have been able to thrive in the Jesuit community. It creates a warm and welcoming environment for all different types of students. Students are able to practice other faiths in the Scranton community and all are welcome to events offered on campus. I have participated in several retreats and I have really enjoyed the chance to explore my own spirituality.

Alex

Scranton students are generally perceived as extremely friendly and very social, sometimes overly so. I'd say that that stereotype holds pretty well. Most of the students I've run into in my time here have a tendency to approach people rather than avoid them. There are, few and far between, those students who prefer to isolate themselves, but I would say they represent a minority. Scranton mixes a strong science program well with a reputable business school and a care-centered school of professional studies which provides a mix of students with varying personalities and priorities. The overarching atmosphere that I believe comes through very early in an education here, though, is the laid back and friendly nature of the majority of the other students. I think many of students spend a lot time actively trying to continue that tradition.