University of Scranton

« See more reviews of University of Scranton

To students: Fill your parents in on what you're looking for in the right school, they only want to help. This affects their lives, too. Try looking at schools that aren't too close to home. Living on campus will help you to grow up and become independent. Be careful in your Freshman year; mistakes can and will be made. You will make it through the mistakes, so take the time to live too! While having fun, remember your work comes first. Your friends don't make your GPA for you. Call your parents; they will always love you. To the parents: Take the time to consider your child's interests. You may not want to see them go, but it'll be the best for them in the long run. Do not let cost get in the way of your child's 'dream school'. Financial aid does help. If not, it'll be hard to pay for, but this is your child's education; what better investment? Don't call your child too much; let them live! Trust them. If you raised them right, they'll make the right choices. If not, they'll learn. They love you.

If I could go back to senior year in high school, I would tell myself that I need to stay focus because lets face it; most seniors see that last year of high school as a time to slack off. Slacking off in senior year continued through my first semester of college. It was a rough start for me transitioning into college because most college professors expect you to be on top of your game and I was use to taking the easy way out. I would also tell myself that to enjoy college; there is no need to be nervous. I started college as a freshman, with so much anxiety. I thought I would go there and people would be rude and I wouldn?t find anything. I soon realized that people there are so friendly and will help and give you advice. College is so much fun and has a great atmosphere. I would make sure I told myself to get involve as well because that is where you know what?s going on around campus and you meet new people. I learned that the people you meet at college usually are the friends that last a lifetime!

After successfully completing one semester of college, there are a few things I wish I had done in high school, especially during my senior year. I had to opprotunity in high school to take various AP couses but I only chose to take two. So if I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior I would tell myself to challenge yourself and take a few more AP courses. Another thing I wish I had done, especially during my senior year of high school, was to be more outgoing. I have always been a shy, quiet girl but times in college made me wonder what my life as a high school senior would have been like if I had been more outgoing. College has definately changed that and I am glad but I sometimes wish I had chosen to be more outgoing in high school. There is one last piece of advice I would give myself. That is to always work hard. I have learned, through my studies in college, that hard work truely does pay off. The only way you can achieve goals is to work hard at it and never give up.

I think the best advise I can offer is for parents and students to visit each and every school on their list. I know from my experience that once I arrived at Scranton I knew right away that this was the place for me. So much of the decision comes from the feelling you get from being on the campus. So when you visit make sure that you see everything you can and talk with anyone you see, and not just the campus staff but especially the students. Ask all sorts of questions because really no question is dumb when it comes to your future. And once you get to college, don't be shy. Get involved with an activity that interests you. I had the chance to do a retreat with some other incoming freshmen and it was amazing. I got to know other students quickly and it made the first day of classes easy. Lastly, I have to admit that I chose a college that was within a two hour drive home. College is an adjustment on many different levels but is nice to be close to the comforts you can only get at home.

Dear seventeen year old me, College is not as hard as you think it will be. They will not throw you anything that you can not handle. With that being said, college is not smooth sailing. You have to try and work hard just like you did in high school. The teachers in high school became like friends over the years which only made separating from them harder. College professors are not going to become your friends so you can not rely on them knowing you on a personal level. You have to go into the classroom and sell yourself. Get to know your professors and do not be afraid to ask them for help. On a social level, you need to open up girly! You can not be afraid to go up and talk to people. This is not like high school;people do not see you as "unpopular" or "dorky". Be your normal self and do not worry about what other people think. Make friends quickly so you always have someone to eat with. Get acquainted with your roommate over the summer so you have more time to talk before move in.

You don't have to know for sure when you go to school everything that you want, but being open to finding those things out is what college is about. Friends, knowledge, and personal identity are the three things that have described my college experience. I transferred to the University of Scranton from Rutgers University in my sophomore year. At Rutgers, my classes were large lectures with typically 200 students, and I had to take a 30-minute bus ride to class. My iPod was always on, and my teachers would never recognize me. Now, I see my friends everywhere and my classes are never more than a 10-minute walk. My teachers are helpful and socially this is an amazing place to be. Chances are you don't know everything about yourself now, but if you take what you do know, and apply that knowledge to what kind of school you feel you'll flourish in, the right school will not only educate you academically, but you will leave with an undeniable sense of self, and that is an amazing feeling.

If I had the chance to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that there is a reason why everyone stresses the importance of time management. The teachers, alumnae, college counselors, and everyone else who tries to imprint the phrase "time management" onto the brains of high school seniors, are not doing so simply for their health. Although it was the most repetitve, and eventually one of the most annoying phrases, I heard as a senior, it really is the most important key to college. There is so much down time during the course of a typical day in college, and time management helps to keep me on schedule and ahead of the game--and deadlines. Although I was able to quickly make the adjustment and use my time adequately, if I had done so from the start, it would have saved me a stressful first couple of weeks. To save myself from extra stress, I would remind my high school senior self to not only remember, but also implement the principle of time management.

my first year in college i had the mentality of fun and games, so did not put much effort in school and my classes. then, i realized that working at a pizza parlor was not going to get me far, so i decided and made a goal to get my AA in criminal justice. i have always enjoyed law enforcement and helping improve the community. one major thing that inspired me to become a probation officer was to witness my older brother take advantange of his probation officer, and well to actually not take his probation officer serious. all of this has to do how lenient and unconsistent the probation officer was. so i thought to myself that i want to become a probation officer and do all that is in my power to help people in desperate need to keep away from drugs and alcohol. i have learned so much throughout my years in college, in regards to law and life in general. education is not only necessary but worth it because you become someone in life and can help yourself and others .

If I was able to go back in time to talk to myself in my senior year, I would tell myself to focus more on my studies. To not be afraid to take the honors classes and do the extra credit work. I would also tell myself that it does not matter what others think of you because the universities look at your grades. They do not care if you were extremely popular or not. I would remind myself to do what I thought was best for me, that everyone makes mistakes and not to give up when it gets difficult. To start looking for a college that fit my goals and has the classes I would need and want to take. When I found a college that I may be interested in, do not be shy about asking for a re-evaluation on your financial aid that they offer you if you do not think that it will not be enough to cover what you need. And when it comes to student loans, do not borrow any more than what you will need. Lastly, have fun while you are in college, join a few clubs or maybe a sport.

If I could go back and talk to myself knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to relax. Choosing a college is an important decision, but it is not a matter of life or death. I think the most important thing for a high school student to consider when choosing a school is how they feel during a visit. I knew right away when I visited Scranton that I would be comfortable here. Walking around campus and talking to students felt natural to me. I would also advise high school students to talk to people who go to the schools they are looking at and ask HONEST questions. The only way to find anything out is to ask questions, so if you have them, voice them. Chances are, the people you talk to will be very genuine in their responses and can really provide you with a lot more information than you would find in a brochure or online. Most importantly, know what you are looking for in a school and find one that meets most if not all of your wants and needs.