University of Scranton

« See more reviews of University of Scranton

Freshman year is about figuring out who you truly are , it's about experiencing new ideas, thoughts and people. However,when you go away to college, stay true to the person that you are, and do not try to be someone you are not, because eventually everyone will see your true colors. In college you will make mistakes, and learn from experiences. You will make new friends, loose new friends and eventually find those life-long friends who will be at your side through the good, the bad and the ugly times. It's not always going to be easy and it is certainly not always going to be fun, but everything you experience along the way will prepare you for what is to come. Don't let others sway you into doing something you don't want to do or are uncomfortable with, it's not worth it at all! Never burn bridges and keep a constant smile on your face, it makes people wonder what you are up to. Most importantly, have a little fun once in a while, you deserve it!

Scranton wasn't my first choice; in fact, I only applied to appease my parents. I had never looked at the school, and they made me come up after I was accepted. It was a rainy cold Saturday morning in April, and halfway through my tour, I knew I was where I was supposed to be. You or your son/daughter will feel it when they're on campus, so make sure you take a tour. I know it's a lot of driving, but it's worth it. I wouldn't change it for anything; I met my very best friends here. And even if they're not a D1 Athletic School (we're D3), you can join clubs. I met these best friends on the Crew Team, which is a club sport. Don't overlook anything. Walk around campus, talk to a student; they'll most likely be more than willing to talk about their experiences and give their advice. Most of all, choose the school that's right for you, not anyone else; your friends, parents, significant others. YOU. Good luck and maybe I'll see you on the commons! :)

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would say to stay at home and work, work, work. When I was 17 years old I moved out of my parents house and got an apartment. After graduating from high school I took a semester off from school and worked full time. I started attending college in the spring for dental assisting. But because I was living on my own, I had to pay for college out of pocket. My step-father made too much for me to qualify for financial aid and even though I was living on my own, i still did not qualify. I was able to complete a year of school but beginning my second year was tough because I had to work full time and did not make enough to pay for it. So I had to leave. Now, I'm back living with my parents (with my daughter) and am able to recieve to receive financial aid and save money for any other school related costs. So to sum up, I would tell myself to continue to work hard and to never give up on school.

Find a school which is right for you, as a student and as a person. It is crucial to enjoy what you do, both in the working world and academia. Look for a community in which you feel you belong. You want to select a school which best embodies your desires and beliefs. Most especially, you should enjoy yourself. College is not all about studies. It is important to make sure you still do the things that make you who you are. Never lose those defining characteristics, never quit a group or stop a hobby you love because other people might think it uncool, you would be surprised how many other people there are who share the same interests. Do not fret the little things, we all have a bad week or a bad semester, so long as you can pick yourself up and try again, you will be fine. Lastly, take an active role in your college experience. Participate in programming activities or student government, you will make friends for life.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself two major peices of advice. The first would be to remain very aware of academic rigor. College is very different from high school in the aspect that professors do not ease into topics as instructors do in high school. From day one, a new college student should begin preparing for the first exams, even if it seems unnecessary. The second peice of advice would be to recognize how much less time a college student has to attain and maintain a high grade point average . In college, the semesters are not extensively long and their conclusions come very quickly. Both of those peices of advice can be summarized in one sentence: A college student should work diligently the entire time he or she is engaged in coursework, so that breaks between course demands may be spent revitalizing and, thus, be much less stressful.

Everyone always told me that high school would be the best four years of my ife. In my opinion, college definitely takes that title. My college years were definitely the best and most important four years of my life. From doing laundry, to choosing a career path, the things you learn in college are things you will not learn anywhere else. You need to be sure to take advantage of every opportunity to learn more about yourself and "the real world". What career could be a good fit for you? How will you go after that career? What makes you who you are? How can you be sure to not lose what makes you special? These are questions I could not answer until graduating from college. It can be very easy to let various pressures alter these answers, so be sure to not let that happen. These four years will shape your future. Be sure to use these years to become who you want to be and no one else.

During my first year at college, I have learned that my future is in my own hands. How I handle my daily responsibilities is up to me and I will have to face consequences for my decisions in life. Being away at college has taught me how to be more responsible and to appreciate all that my parents have done for me throughout my life up to this point. Along with a wonderful education, I am also living my dream of playing college soccer. That has been something I have dreamed about since I was 8 years old. I have formed friendships that I know will last a lifetime and that in itself is a valuable learning experience. I have learned that there are people in this world willing to help you and to take advantage of all opportunities that are offered to you. I have been given an opportunity to attend The University of Scranton and look forward to my next 3 years there to continue my education.

In terms of managing time and being academically successful, I would advise that there is nothing more important than going to class. It's sometimes easy to skip class because nobody is forcing you to go and it seems like you can just read the assigned material and still do well. This is harder than it sounds, however. Not only is cutting class a waste of time and money, but sometimes just being in class hearing the professor lecture and taking notes is the easiest way to retain information. When it comes to the social aspect of college, the only thing I would really say is be yourself. You may want to act like somebody else to try and impress girls make friends but nobody likes a liar. Be friendly and accomodating - invite new people to hang out with you, share your snacks and movies, or just go out of your way to talk to someone you wouldn't normally think to approach.

First I would say get ready for a bumpy, hectic, life changing, and enjoyable ride. College is a learning experience in every sense of the word: academically, socially, mentally, spiratually, and emotionally. I would say pick a college where it feels like a second home, because you're going to be there for the next four years. Make sure that you focus on your school work and choose a major that you ENJOY! Follow your brian but more importantly your heart when choosing a school. Soak up every experience and don't let your talents and skills go to waste. Trust yourself and just live every moment to the max because before you know it it's gone. Have fun socially and make friends but remember your there for an education. Most importantly make sure you love waking up everyday at your school and know that with your degree you can do many great things. Good Luck!!!

My advice to parents and students looking for the right college is go with your gut. Some schools have all the ratings and reputation but you truly get out of your education what you put into it and you make your experience what you want it to be. So with reputation and ratings aside go with the one where you feel comfortable, where you feel the most welcome. Going to a place that has the best ratings out of all of the schools but a campus where the people are cold and isolated won't work for someone who thrives on people and frienliness. If solitude is your preference and you don't need that friendly interaction all of the time and you like cut throat competition because you need that then those schools are right for you. Every person is different and different aspects of a school are going to appeal to those people. Go where you are comfortable.