University of Scranton

« See more reviews of University of Scranton

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to stay on track! I was very organized in high school, and this is an important skill to maintain in college. I went to a college preparatory high school, and I feel it did a very good job preparing me for the workload I would face in college. I would advise myself to get to know the professors if there was one specific thing I had to say. I never approached professors much until this year, and my understanding of subjects and relationships with people I may need a recommendation from someday has increased significantly. I feel if I had known this from the start I would have made more of an effort to communicate with professors beginning as a freshman.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would encourage myself to ask more specific questions about the college and about student life there: is there a strong university ministries program? How are the priests that say the student masses? How is the food? What do students do on the weekends? Do the students match up with how they are described by the college's literature? What are faculty-student relationships like? Are faculty interested in their students' lives? I did not know the answers to many of these questions when I decided to attend the University of Scranton, but thankfully I can say today that I still feel I made the right college decision.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell him many things to improve his college life. First I would tell myself to go for as many scholarships as possible. I realize now that college is not cheap and the scholarships would be very helpful when it comes time to pay for school. The second piece of advice I would give to myself is to go to the writing center. The writing center is so useful when I need help writing an essays and papers. The final piece of advice I would give myself is to not procrastinate After a while all the work will become overwhelming and your grades will suffer.

My decision of which college to attend was extremely difficult. I didn't get into the school that I wanted to and I was feeling despondent about the whole college experience in general. I was not looking forward at all to going to Scranton. The second I stepped onto campus on move in day, I felt such a sense of belonging that I knew I had made the right decision. My advice is to not stress. You are meant to go where you go. While it may not seem perfect at the time, I am a strong believer in fate. Let fate work for you. If you have put in the time and effort needed, you will be happy and succeed where ever you end up!

Take the time to visit a school and ask questions about the classes and department that the student wishes to attend. If he or she is undecided, then make sure the college allows students to be undecided in their first year in order for he or she to experience different classes to help them decide. In order to make the most out of your college experience, you should become active at the college and participate in everything that you want to do. Participation in key to meeting new people and having fun. Live on campus and experience the college life while meeting new friends and living amongst them.

I would say "don't change who you are." A lot of people tend to want to change as an adaptation-type response to a new environment when you don't know anyone. It becomes easy to lose old friends and replace them with new ones for that reason. I would also say "choose your friends wisely," there are a lot of people that come and go, but the ones who stay are the most important and the ones that you can count on for a lifetime of experiences. Lastly, I would say "make the best of it, because it flies." I cannot believe I've come this far; it seems like just yesterday I started college.

I would first choose a different major. I plan to go to medical school and will be studying biology for the rest of my life. I wish I chose a major other than biology such as buisness, math, or philosophy with a concentration in pre-med. Getting into medical school is extremely competitive and the majority of applicants are biology majors, I need a stronger resume and biology is too common. Second I wish I had more practice with time managment prior to coming to Scranton. I stuggled my first year with balancing a social and academic life, and my GPA reflects that.

The advice I would give both paretns and students in making the most of thier college expierence is to find a college that best suits your child. You will be there for four years, so when you are visiting schools and you feel it is the right fit for you then that is the right school for you. There is a school for everyone! When you go on college tours ask as many question you want answered becaus ethat also helps a lot. When you choose the school of your dreams make the best of it, because it is what you make of it not what other people say or what you hear.

If I were lucky enough to go back in time and give advice to myself as a highschool senior I would assure myself that I needn't worry about making friends or missing home. Just be yourself and you'll fit right in and do fine. I would also tell myself to get organized. I had heard that line for years and years but it never really sunk in. I realized once I got to college that scheduling and time management were lifelines in a sea of work and I wished I had learned how to master my time more effieciently so I could fit in both my studies and my friends.

Join a sports team or a time committing club, because although it may be time consuming, it will teach you time management and it will introduce you to a close knit team or group that you can always be count on to be around for dinners and going out. Not that I'm not content with my friends now or anything, I love them and I wouldn't change them for the world, but it's a great social aspect and it's rewarding to have that team bond. It is definitely something to take advantage of and it is a great adjustment factor.