Sioux Falls, SD
University of Sioux Falls

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Sioux Falls

Chelsea

The University of Sioux Falls is unique because the campus provides a small, tight-knit community atmosphere where everyone feels comfortable. Since there are only around 2000 students, I recognize the majority of people I see in classes and at activities, and it makes me feel safe. Attending USF feels like home and provides me the opportunity to make lots of friends who I run into on a daily basis. If I had attended a larger school, quickly making so many close, new friends never would have been possible, and I would have constantly felt surrounded by strangers.

After attending college for a year and a half, I am amazed at the knowledge I have gained. I have not just become more book-smart, but have attained a better grasp of who I am as a person. I wish I could have shared these bits of wisdom with myself when I was a high school senior. I would have told myself not to stress and worry so much about trying to plan every detail of my future. Everything WILL work out and fall into place eventually. There is no need to become uptight with concern over fitting in at college; all the other new freshmen are in the same boat and trying to make new friends just like you. Relax; live a little. Many people will tell you to study, study, study. That's important, but don't forget to make time for a social life, too. You shouldn't spend the whole day in your room doing homework. Open the door and spend some time with new friends. Adjusting to college is only as difficult as you make it. If you go in telling yourself it will be hard, it will. Try to have a positive mindset.

Elisabeth

If I was to go back in time, I would tell myself to not be as worried as I was about moving. I went to college five hours from home and out of state and I was well beyond terrified before I even got to the school. All the things that I worried about; not getting along with my roommate, not making friends, and failing all my classes and losing my major scholarship seem so silly now. But now, with this major step in my life done with, I feel confident that I will be able to confidently handle all other things that come my way. My advice to my past self, and all going-to-be college freshmen would be, "Don't sweat it. Transitioning from high school to college will never be as bad as you think."

The worst thing about my school is that some of the dorms aren't all the best I live in Grand Island and for most of the winter our heat didn't work. Luckily, we have heated blankets but during winter in South Dakota heat is quite necessary. Also, the dorms are pretty small. My roommate and I had to really compromise space wise.

Any person who doesn't have faith in God would most likely find that USF is not for them. I'm only freshman here and yet I can feel the presence of God all around me. USF doesn't try to hide the fact that they are a Christian liberal arts college, and some people will find the campus to Christian and some will find it not Christian enough.

Brandon

First and foremost, I would tell myself to apply for twice as many scholarships. I know that they are tedious, but every bit counts. Plus, you are never going to get every scholarship that you apply for, so the more you fill out the more money you will receive. Second, choose the school you love. Do not go to a college for any reason other than selfish reasons. We are always told to not be selfish, but college is all about our future; we have to be selfish when we choose our college. Never choose to go somewhere because there is another person that you want to follow. Third, hold on to your beliefs and your morals. More people respect you when you lead them, than when you follow them. Basically, become a leader to your peers. Finally, I would tell myself something as silly as purchase a planner. There are a lot of fun things going on in college and there are tons of assignments that you cannot forget. All of these things will make you a better person and help you enjoy collge, and you need to write them down so you can remember each one of them.

I honestly believe that all people should experience USF. It's a Christian school, but the students are not forced to follow that religion. It is introduced to everyone and then pursued if it is for those individuals. It is a very friendly and positive environment that I know anyone would feel comfortable in. However, I would love to see more diversity on campus. The student body at USF is mainly white and I believe that in order for us to squeeze every drop out of our education, we need to learn from people with different backgrounds and experiences.

I like to talk a lot about our football team. Ever since I have been going there we have been national champions. Every game that I have gone to our score has been at least seventy points higher than our opponents' score.

Allison

I have a very diverse group of classmates and I have enjoyed getting to know most of them.

I go to a Christian Liberal Arts University. I can pray in class and outside of class. Unlike the other universities that I toured, I can ask my professors to pray for me.

If I could go back to my senior year in high school I would have taken a class to help me with my ACT testing. The score you get on the test is so important when it comes to how much money a college is willing to give you and when it comes to scholarships. I now realize how much I will have in student loans when I graduate and a higher ACT score would have helped decrease the amount of loans I have had to take out. Another piece of advice I would give to myself is to get involved in volunteering. Many scholarships require volunteer hours and they look great when applying for jobs.

Chelsey

The Univesiry of Sioux Falls is a place that is focused on comunity; its smalls size allows students to get to know and build relationships with professors and other students on campus, which allows students be more comfortable to ask questions and gain the knowlege in not only thier specific field of study but also in other studies as well.

My classmates and I are in the process of building some great realtionships at USF, since there are such a variety of students at USF there is many different view brought into a class room, this brings some intersting points into a class room, but also helps me as a student appresiate many different ways of life to challenge what I beleive.

As a senior in high school I was very excited to make the trasition to college, I wasn't nervous at all, just ready to move on with my life. I thought I had it all figured out, but as I look back at what I was thinking then I am finding that I had totally wong expectations. If I was in high school again I would tell myself to be prepared to be challenged. What I thought was importanat then, now has a whole new meaning. Also I would tell myself to not be afraid to try new risks, meet new people, and open new doors. I would make sure I knew that I had been living the same way for eighteen years of my life, and that it is about to be changed.

Mollie

I believe The Unviersity of Sioux Falls is best known for its liberal arts education. If I had to pick on area I would choose the science area. I feel they have very good professors and a high acceptance rate for going on to graduate school.

If I could go back and give myself advice I would tell myself to go the school I wanted and not worry about money. I know money is a big issue but one should go somewhere they are going to love for more than somewhere they don't love for less. I would also go back and tell myself not to think about anyone else when making the decision on where to go. Don't think about friends, boyfriends, or even your parents. Go where you want! They other thing I would have told myself would be to learn how to study. In high school I never really had to study so getting to college was a shock when I took my first exam. Learning how to study is very important. Also do not worry so much about your GPA even though it is important, but also work on connections and volunteering. Those may get you farther than your GPA. Last of all I would tell myself to have fun. College is supposed to be hard but it also supposed to be the best four years of your life.

Before coming to the university level I would have liked to known about what the cost was going to do in the next four years. Money is going to be a issue in the future and knowing how much tuition is going to increase would have helped greatly. I would have also liked to known is how they were going to rip me off so I could have been prepared for it. I did not know how the school took from you and it would have been helpful to know that in advanced.

Don't become lazy senior year! Start early preparing for college, applying for scholarships, and saving money. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't feel embarrassed or hesitatant to ask for financial aid.

The students and facutly are incredibly friendly. Each day feels like your with friends and family.

The cost. It is expensive school to attend, however, I feel it is worth it. I have met some incredible people, had some amazing professors, and am receiving a great, well-rounded education.

The football team has won 3 out of 4 National Championships in the last 4 years and attracts many new recruits every year. It is also very well known for the Elementary Education program and teaching in general. That is a big reason why I was attracted to the school because I am an Elementary Education major.

If I could go back to my stressful year as a High School Senior, I would tell myself not to worry like I did. I was worried about the transition and getting homesick. The first day I was there, the staff surrounded me with people that became my close friends. This university offers so many activities to get new students involved such as bowling, game nights, fun speakers, and Bible studies in the dorms. I was immersed in great activities that helped me never get homesick and helped me grow as a young adult. The acedemic advisors have also helped me greatly. I was unsure of my desire to be an elementary teacher going into college, but now I am absolutely sure that it is what I want to do. My advisor has not only helped me plan out my schedule but has answered many important questions about life after college. The campus pastor is also always there to counsel me when I have a stressful day. I have transformed and grown more in the last two years than I could have ever imagined and I wish I could have told myself that while I was still in high school.

I wish I'd visited a few more times in high school so I would have better seen the sense of community. My decision between USF and other schools would have then been that much easier. USF is like a big extended family. It is so welcoming and the transition was made so easy for me.

The first thing I would tell myself is to relax and have fun. I was really nervous heading off to college but a tended to forget that I was in the same boat as all the incoming freshman. I wish I would've been more open trying to make friends and gone out of my way more to talk to people. The second thing I would tell myself is to slow down and enjoy it. College goes so fast and in a blink its going to be done. Enjoy the time you have with your friends and the late nights spent studying because eventually they are going to come to an end. I have met some amazing people and have had some awesome times with my friends. I wouldn't trade my time with them for anything. The last thing I would say is to stay on the right track. It's easy to get distracted and caught up in the wrong things. Focus on your schoolwork and the things you are involved in because in the end, that's all that's going to matter.

The best thing about my school is the friendliness of everyone and how close everyone is. We are a small enough school so that everyone knows almost everyone but big enough to get a good education. I love being able to get with my advisors/teachers in a one-on-one setting without a problem. The teachers care about how you do in the classroom and they also like to see you succeed outside the classroom.

I brag the most about our athletic success. We have great athletic programs here at school and it's awesome to be able to tell people we have success in athletics. Many students were involved in some kind of athletics in high school so that is usually a big turn on. I also love the location and size of my school. Sioux Falls is a great city and it grows and grows all the time. There is always something to do.

Carmyn

The campus is small but the heart is big. This is really what I saw in comparison to other universities. Once I toured this campus prior to attending, it really felt like home. I did not want a very big campus and I wanted somewhere where it could be easy to be plugged in. Both of these things have been highly achieved and I love the heart of this campus.

College has been such a great experience. Looking back to my senior year of high school, there are a few things I would tell myself. For starters, I would tell myself to take chances. Being outgoing is harder for me than it is for some, but taking that first step in order to meet new people is definitely the key to the first year of college. Also, I would encourage myself to be active and continue to do what I love. Singing is my passion, so I would encourage myself to put myself out there and be vulnerable in certain situations. Being vulnerable is hard at first, but in the end it has great rewards. Finally, I would tell myself, a senior in high school, to simply be brave, put yourself out there, and stay true to yourself, living out the life of Christ.

I feel the best thing about my current university is the Christian based campus life. My main reason in choosing this school was for its Christian atmosphere. I feel the professors and faculty are very concerned with the students as individuals rather than students as a number. For these reasons, I consider the University of Sioux Falls a great choice in school for me as i grow in my walk with the Lord

University of Sioux Falls administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.