University of Sioux Falls

« See more reviews of University of Sioux Falls

I'd explain that college is essential for creating a life that has options. It's challenging, but it is also enlightening to one's innerself and intellectual capacity. Choosing to further your education is one of the wisest decisions you can make because we never stop learning no matter how or what we learn; so why not gain a diploma with credentials in the process of that. Choosing a college is probably the hardest thing, but make sure you choose one that is both befitting of your personality and help to guide you in the way that you hope to achieve success. Stay focused to avoid procrastination. Make sure to socialize/network with people who are both unlike-minded and like- minded as yourself because you gain different perspectives of the world and you also make lasting relationships that can be perhaps beneficial down the road. Lastly, I would say, BE OPEN-MINDED. College is like a little world within itself; different cultures, backgrounds, races, ethnicities, talents, and religions are apart of this community, so don't limit yourself to your own beliefs or background. Know that having a diverse mentality will strengthen your view of the world.

I would remind my high-school-self of a good friend named N.E.I.L.Y. "Not Everyone Is Like You". People will come and go in my life, bringing with them their own perspective, world views, social views, religious views, their culture, their ethnicity, their life styles, economic status, interestes, excitments, passions, and the ability to LOVE and be LOVED; they will also bring with them their hurt, baggage from painful life experiences, anger, frustrations, closed mindedness, hinderances, hypocrisy, and their ability to behave unlovingly. No matter what someone thinks about me or says to me, to my friends, or infront of others, ALWAYS treate them with LOVE, respect, empathy, kindness and appreciation for who they are as a person, and creation of God. Never back lash, but repay someone's harsh words with a compliment; in this way you will be preventing unwanted trouble. 1 Peter 3:8-9 "Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."

My time at The University of Sioux Falls has been beyond valuable. Both academically and personally USF has helped me become the person I am today. The small class sizes offer a greater level of participation and understanding than at larger schools. The one-on-one attention every student receives is invaluable in the academic world and is a huge benefit for the future. I feel as though I am getting an excellent education that is going to more than prepare me for my future. On a more personal level, USF has helped me grow as a person by emphasizing a life based in service to both God and others. They constantly offer community service opportunities that would appeal to a great variety of students. Campus-wide involvement in student activities is another way that my USF experience has been valuable. I have met many amazing people through activities put on by my school resulting in what are sure to be lifelong relationships. Attending this school has had a huge impact on my life; my decision to attend this school has been one of the best choices I have ever made. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

One of the main reasons I chose the University of Sioux Falls is the environment. I have always lived in a small town, and, even though the city of Sioux Falls is much bigger, it still maintains the safe atmosphere. The University itself portrays an even better atmosphere because of its Christian affiliations. If I were to go to a secular university, I think I would feel very out of place and uncomfortable. Therefore, since USF is a Christian Liberal Arts college, I believe I have been more successful here. When working with peers that have similar goals and beliefs as I do, I have been able to stay more focused and believe that I do not have the same temptations that the rest of the world has to offer. Many people become carefree and uninhibited their first semester of college, but through my great college community I have been able to stay true to myself and avoid making regrettable decisions. Also, being a smaller school with smaller classes and many Christian students and educators, I think USF has provided the personal attention and care that I need, rather than getting pushed by the wayside.

As a freshman in college I would go back and tell myself many things. The first one would be not letting the little things in life get you down and holding fueds with friends, it is simply not worth it. College has made me accept each and every person that I encounter, because friends in life are very important. Along with friends I would tell myself to treassure my family and time spent with them much more, because being away has been a tough transition, most definitely making my heart grow stronger for those that I sensed as an annoyance. Then moving right into the academic aspect, I would say that greatest thing I regret from high school is not talking more college credits or even pushing myself to take those AP exams. At that time it seemed like a burdon, but now that I am in college those test scores that I could have managed to obtained, possibly would have got me out of some of these college courses that seem like a repeat from high school days.Therefore in high school one must understand that college costs money, so taking advantage of high school opportunities is key!

The advice that I would give myself as an high school student would be study. I would tell myself that working hard I to gain a degree means a lot. Along with in time when looking back at how hard I have worked would make me proud. I would also advice myself that staying focus and keeping a clear mind will pay off . As well as, reminding myself that it is not easy in this world with out a proper education. I would also tell myself that woring hard is the key to having good success. I would let myself know that I am giving myself a one time oppertunity for success. Alon with advicing myself that there is no easy way of achiving an education. In addition, I would also advice myself that the transition from high school to college will not be easy. Along with getting discouraged, would not be the answer for making it a transition in a different enviornment. I would also tell myself that prayer also works, it also helps to relax your mind and see things more clearly. In final thought, knowing these things before making your educational transition is very essential in life.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to take a lot of time for personal reflection. I would tell myself this because I see now how many of my classmates seem to be swept up in their newfound freedom and have neglected their studies in search of ways to turn college into an endless party. College is a time to be devoted to your studies, and while friendships and community are wonderful benefits of college, they mustn't interfere with your academic life to the point where it affects it negatively. There must be a balance, and to know where your balance lies is to know your limitations and to know yourself. I would advise myself to be open to new academic possibilities because what seems like THE major for you may soon give way to unforseen interests. Lastly, I would tell myself to be prepared to meet many new people and to encounter many changes in college. I would discourage worriment (for I know I'd worry) and encourage excitement and courage because I can handle it. Most importantly, however, I must meet everything with love.

Dear Jacob Sittig, I hope this letter finds you enjoying your senior year in high school. While I know you do not take your schooling for granted, I would like to impress upon you the importance of your education. Your education that you recieve early in your life will shape who you are for the rest of your life. In the next couple of years as you enter college, you will be introduced to an unlimited amount of new ideas, lifestyles, and kinds of people. Throughout these encounters it will be up to you to study these new ideas, lifestyles, and people, decide which way of life is best suited for you, and then follow your heart and work your hardest every day to be the best person you can be. College is a time in every young person's life when the practice of good habits can lead to amazing possibilites down the road. The choices you make in college will set the tone for the rest of your life. While I encourage to have fun and live a worry free college life, please do not forget the overall grand scheme of things. Sincerely, Someone Invested In Your Future!

I would have to tell myself that buying the textbooks is a much better idea than sharing them between two or three people, even though it saves money. The convenience of having your own books, and being able to use them when you need them for studying for out weighs the extra cost. Also I would tell myself to take advantage of the study aids that the university provides students with. The writing center and tutors are all there to help and even though I never needed these things in high school, I shoudn't be too proud to take advantage of a great study aid. The most important thing I could tell myself though, is that I shouldn't be afraid to talk to my professors even if they seem a little intimidating. The professors are all great people who are concerned about their students progress and well being and they are more than happy to answer questions adn work around difficult situations that might come up. Overall my advice would mainly deal with academics, since that is usually where new students struggle the most during their first semester of college.

If I could go back to my stressful year as a High School Senior, I would tell myself not to worry like I did. I was worried about the transition and getting homesick. The first day I was there, the staff surrounded me with people that became my close friends. This university offers so many activities to get new students involved such as bowling, game nights, fun speakers, and Bible studies in the dorms. I was immersed in great activities that helped me never get homesick and helped me grow as a young adult. The acedemic advisors have also helped me greatly. I was unsure of my desire to be an elementary teacher going into college, but now I am absolutely sure that it is what I want to do. My advisor has not only helped me plan out my schedule but has answered many important questions about life after college. The campus pastor is also always there to counsel me when I have a stressful day. I have transformed and grown more in the last two years than I could have ever imagined and I wish I could have told myself that while I was still in high school.