Mobile, AL
University of South Alabama

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

meeka

I am from Mobile, Al so I do Know A lot about USA. It is a good school. I wouldn'T say for football games, but the volleyball games are awesome. I love going to the track on weekends and I have a few friends that attend USA. not the school of my choice but it is a good school for minors.

Percey

Wonderful

Wonderful

Great area to live and learn!

Great area to live and learn!

There is TONS of development going on in Mobile, AL. The entire mall is being redeveloped, there is a huge, brand new shopping center, and the downtown area is growing exponentially. The school itself is within walking distance of a bad area, and sometimes the crime overflows onto campus. South alabama does have their own police department, and they patrol campus 24/7 even on holidays. Research is a big deal at South. Almost anyone could find a lab to get involved in. Parking on campus is a huge problem, as with most colleges. They build buildings without adding parking and don't have enough parking spaces for the number of parking passes they give out. Residential students are ONLY allowed to park at their dorm. In recent years, housing has been overflowing. The school had to house students off campus last year because they promised more dorm rooms than they had. Participation in Greek Recruitment hits a new record every year. I know our college of computing is fantastic, and we have one of the best cyber security programs in the country (which the US dept of defense has actually awarded). My dept, psychology, is not great. They do not prepare students for grad school. They also don't have many elective choices. It is a decent program if you are interested in trauma and mental health, PTSD, or Autism in children. The behavior analysis program is growing. The foreign language dept has grown over the past few years and are very good about providing specialized language tutoring to students for free, in addition to the school-provided free tutoring (JagSuccess). The arts are prominent at South. There are several instrumental groups, ensembles, and orchestras to get involved in. There is a large drama dept that usually sells out of tickets for their shows. There is also glass blowing and many other visual arts (photography, graphic design, painting, etc) who have art sales and galleries/shows throughout the year. Sports are huge here. Tailgating for football is a must. An on-campus stadium is in the works. Our women's soccer and softball teams have been number 1 in their league several times in the past few years. My main complaint is that South is growing too fast for admin to keep up with housing/parking/maintenance.

Bethany

My fellow classmates are energetic, intuitive, and unique.

My fellow classmates are energetic, intuitive, and unique.

If I could give my younger self advice about the college experience, I would tell her to prepare earlier than I did. I would tell her not to wait for scholarships to come to her because a person has to go to them. I would encourage her to apply for jobs in the fall or spring instead of waiting until just before graduation because getting a good job early is important to financial stability in college. I would tell her that although attending class may be boring, it is essential to success in college. I would remind her to be prepared to get to class on time and to be there every time the class is in session because that is the most effective way for a student to learn. Otherwise, I would tell her to relax and to remember that moving off is not as big a deal as some people make it out to be. It is a new, invigorating experience that some people are not privileged to have. I would tell her to deeply appreciate the opportunity she is being awarded through a good college education.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of enforcing some basic rules such as, "No smoking within 25 feet of a building." I do not appreciate walking through second-hand smoke immediately after exiting my dorm room.

Makayla

College can be the most exciting yet painful experience of your life. I know that you are ready to get out of the house, but you are going to miss your family more than you think. Those scholarships you are not putting effort into filling out are what could make your transition so much smoother. Having school paid for means that you will have some spare money to go out with all of the wonderful friends that you are going to make next year. There are going to be nights when you want to go out and party because that's what everyone else is doing, but you also know that you have a huge test in the morning. The truth is, its college. There is something going on almost every night. Stay in some nights because those parties will only be fun for the night, however a good GPA will ensure you to have a more fun life with a better job than you would have had if you gone out partying every night!

I wish I had known that some classes are going to be harder than those AP classes, and even though I did not study in high school, I would definitely have to study in college. I knew that south was very acedimic based, but I wish I had known that that does not mean the professors would baby the students, but they will help you in any way they can as long as they see you are putting time outside of class in.

A person who is focused on partying and does not care about acedimics should not come to South.

Kristin

My school is best known for it's medical programs. We have the number 1 medical school, and the number 2 nursing program in the nation.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would tell her what I wish someone would have told me at that age. I would advise her to pursue her dreams no matter what. It's taken me 21 years to realize that the best gift you can give to yourself is your own support. So many people look to their parents, friends, and teachers for encouragement and approval; they ask what path they should take, what goals they should set, and what they should believe in. The truth is, all of the answers are already inside of you. All you have to do is discover them. Forget about what people think you should do, what they want you to do, what they expect from you. Know what your ambitions are, and believe in yourself enough to pursue them. The only thing stopping you from getting everything you want is yourself.

The best thing about my school is that it has such a beautiful and relaxing atmosphere. In college you will undoubtedly get overwhelmed and stressed out, but when you look around my campus you see palm trees, flowers blooming, and the sun shining even in December. It is so nice to have such a picturesque place to live.

Angelica

Angelica, High school passes in a blur. Enjoy every second of it. College life is different. It involves choices that you have to make, time management skills, dedication, concentration and the ability to stand on your own two feet. When you are wanting to make adult decisions in high school-just wait. It comes so fast. Being able to stand alone is your best trait but it does get lonely. Embrace the ability to make friends, join groups and don't be afraid to be different. You will make a difference but believing in yourself is that first step.

This school is great for every student. It offers degree programs in all areas and allows for diversity.

I like to brag about how beautiful my campus is and how involved they get their student body.

Baylee

The University of South Alabama has excellent academic programs. However it could be a much safer environment for students.

There is a wide variety of different types of students at my school. There are kids from all over the world at South along with students from every type of background. You can meet so many different personalities at this school.

The academic programs at South are challenging, but will be helpful in the long run.

Makenzie

The academic at the University of South Alabama are much different than I was use to in high school. In high school there isn't much of a push for students to do their best. Where at South I have pushed myself past the limit I thought I had, and I have proven to myself that I can make an A in the coarse. South has taught me how to become better prepared and organized. Also, to learn to say no to things that aren't as important as they use to be.

I cant say we have a "Stereotype" at our school. Thats like asking what is the stereotype of the worlds population. We are too diverse for that.

There are some parties here and there (I Hear). But I am trying to get my degree to move on with my life so most of time spent out of class is at work or studying.

I would have to say that I spend just as much time with the professors outside of class as I do inside of class. I participate in every class session but theres nothing better than sitting down one on one with you professor to straighten things out.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.