University of South Alabama

« See more reviews of University of South Alabama

The worst part of attending the University of South Aalabama is the parking. We have four different parking zones, and each student is assigned to one parking zone for the entire year. It is an extreme problem that the university refuses investigate. Some zones have too much parking space while others have too little and often students cannot find adequate parking and are forced to park elsewhere. The university cracks down on this illegal parking by writing tickets. They need to either build more parking lots or do away with the assigned parking.

The worst thing about UCMO...this is also a hard question. The only thing I can think of is that right now we have a Physical Fitness Facility under construction. This does cause some inconvenience getting to a few classes. It may actually take you 15 minutes in stead of 10 minutes because you have to walk around the barriers. This, in turn, brings to mind another problem with the campus. The current exersize areas are small and most of the time crowded. The two campus problems will be remedied next fall which will make the campus perfect to me.

South Alabama does not have many bad qualities but one in particular would have to be our parking situation. Parking on campus is always a disaster. You each have a parking permit designated to only one specific area. I am a resident and residents are only designated to park in residential hall areas until 1:45 p.m. At other colleges, their parking permits allow them to travel anywhere on campus. Walking fifteen or twenty minutes to class is not ideal especially when two classes are at opposite ends of campus.

The requirement by the foreign language department that you participate in an online lab. My computer at home does not meet the browser requirements, and so I have to do all my homework at work. I feel like classes should be accessible to all, regardless of your computer at home, unless you signed up for a specific online class.

HOW HARD SOME OF THE SCIENCE TESTS ARE. ITS A MEDICAL SCHOOL SO I KNOW THAT IT IS GOING TO BE CHALLENGING BUT THERE IS NO REASON WHY THE BIOLOGY, ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, ETC. CLASSES SHOULD BE SO DIFFICULT. I LIKE TO WORK HARD FOR MY DEGREE AND I LIKE A CHALLENGE, BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT DIFFICULT AT TIMES.

Finacial aide office staff often seem put out or unwilling to listen. Also, finacial aide if held and not distributed until 2 weeks after school starts - forcing students to use the on campus bookstore and not have access to funds until after the start of classes. Many students are very conservative and judgemental.

The academic year is based on semesters instead of quarters. The quarter system is much quicker than the semester system. The quarter system allows you to learn and comprehend course information in timely manner. The semester system gives you a lot of down time that can be abused when not managed correctly.

Parking is the worst part of my school. The school provides buses for students that live on campus, but the parking lots stay full until the end of the day. It would be nice to see a parking garage added to our campus. This would add more space for the cars and allow for faster arrival to classes.

The administration at this school is very old school and, quite frankly, unconcerned with the best interests of the student body. They are not open to student suggestions; they are also not very accomodating to non-traditional students.

To date, I have not found anything negative enough to whine about. I wish that meetings regarding my field of engineering could better fit with schedules. However, realistically, you can't please all the people-all the time.