University of South Alabama Top Questions

Bethany

If I could give my younger self advice about the college experience, I would tell her to prepare earlier than I did. I would tell her not to wait for scholarships to come to her because a person has to go to them. I would encourage her to apply for jobs in the fall or spring instead of waiting until just before graduation because getting a good job early is important to financial stability in college. I would tell her that although attending class may be boring, it is essential to success in college. I would remind her to be prepared to get to class on time and to be there every time the class is in session because that is the most effective way for a student to learn. Otherwise, I would tell her to relax and to remember that moving off is not as big a deal as some people make it out to be. It is a new, invigorating experience that some people are not privileged to have. I would tell her to deeply appreciate the opportunity she is being awarded through a good college education.

Makayla

College can be the most exciting yet painful experience of your life. I know that you are ready to get out of the house, but you are going to miss your family more than you think. Those scholarships you are not putting effort into filling out are what could make your transition so much smoother. Having school paid for means that you will have some spare money to go out with all of the wonderful friends that you are going to make next year. There are going to be nights when you want to go out and party because that's what everyone else is doing, but you also know that you have a huge test in the morning. The truth is, its college. There is something going on almost every night. Stay in some nights because those parties will only be fun for the night, however a good GPA will ensure you to have a more fun life with a better job than you would have had if you gone out partying every night!

Kristin

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would tell her what I wish someone would have told me at that age. I would advise her to pursue her dreams no matter what. It's taken me 21 years to realize that the best gift you can give to yourself is your own support. So many people look to their parents, friends, and teachers for encouragement and approval; they ask what path they should take, what goals they should set, and what they should believe in. The truth is, all of the answers are already inside of you. All you have to do is discover them. Forget about what people think you should do, what they want you to do, what they expect from you. Know what your ambitions are, and believe in yourself enough to pursue them. The only thing stopping you from getting everything you want is yourself.

Angelica

Angelica, High school passes in a blur. Enjoy every second of it. College life is different. It involves choices that you have to make, time management skills, dedication, concentration and the ability to stand on your own two feet. When you are wanting to make adult decisions in high school-just wait. It comes so fast. Being able to stand alone is your best trait but it does get lonely. Embrace the ability to make friends, join groups and don't be afraid to be different. You will make a difference but believing in yourself is that first step.

Brionna

Grades are only temporarily important. The experience you have during your time at school is the long term importance. So enjoy every event possible, go to all the parties, make some mistakes, live life! Because now is the time to do so.

Marian

Looking back in retrospect of my high school self, I would tell myself to live life to the fullest and remember to breathe. Senior year I was so caught up in scholarship essays and resumes that I was missing out on life. I would tell myself that there is no need to worry about if I will be accepted to college or if I will receive more scholarships. Afterall, what has worrying ever changed? I would tell myself, "no you do not need that cute frame for your dorm because you will never be in there anyways." I would never question the food that my mother cooked but rather enjoy the luxury of a homecooked meal. I would spend every last minute with my bestfriends that I will soon be five-hundred miles away from. I'll hug my parents a little tighter and laugh a little louder. Overall, the stress of college approaching is only temporary. Once it begins, all of those worries will fade and the next chapter of your life will be halfway over before you realize it. Lastly, I would tell myself the best years of your life begin now!

Jordan

Learn how to study and start applying for scholarships as soon as possible. My high school education did not prepare me for a higher education, so I had to teach myself. Studying is one of the most important things that you need to learn to do before you get into college. Studying has consumed my life since I moved to the University of South Alabama, but all I can think is that it will be worth it all in the end. Scholarships are another huge part of college. I would tell myself to start studying for the ACT sooner than I did and keep working to make a higher score. I would tell myself to work on my resume as much as possible-- the more the merrier.

Gilandre

I would have told myself to participate in more school activities, and to apply for more scholarships. Yes, i did get a full ride to a local community college, but i didnt get the oppurtunity to go to 4 year universities right after high school like most of my friends did. I envied them in a way, but they did put in most of the work and effort in order to be where they are now.

Thinking back to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to be overwhelmed by the amount of students that will be attending classes and on campus. I knew everyone in high school. While my college is not entirely too big, the sheer amount of students that are on campus at any given time is mind blowing to a high school student. College students crowd every place available: the library, the cafeteria, the classrooms, and they even parade in the streets like they are impervious to oncoming traffic. It can be difficult to get used to the huge student body. Also, students range in age from newly graduated high school students to people old enough to be my grandparents. College students are going to come from everywhere, from every walk of life, and have drastically differing views about the world. This experience can be daunting, but in the end, it is a rewarding experience that will not only benefit your future career, but also personal and professional relationships .

Alyssa

Honestly, I would give myself the advice to never give up on myself and never lose confidence and to always, ALWAYS try my best no matter what or who gets in my way.

melinda

I’m you from four years from now. There are a million things I could give you advice on, but most of it I know you won’t listen too. I will tell you that in the next few years you will change colleges, fight with financial aid, struggle in classes, realize that living with strangers stresses you out, fight with friends and your personal life will be in turmoil. Not all of it will be bad; the good will be really good. I want you to look at the people you call your friends right now. Most of them you will not talk to in four years from now; you won’t miss them either. So all of these things you are trying to do to impress them are useless. When you get where I am now, you are going to realize that you aren’t happy with yourself. So my advice to you is to stay true to yourself. Don’t try to fit in a mold. You can’t go anywhere in life if you do not accept yourself. You can only accept yourself if you are true to yourself.

Jarred

In the event that I am able to travel back through time to the year 2002 and speak with my former self about college life, I will tell myself that college is for learning, but without occasionally setting aside time for relaxation, one may experience "burning out" or even depression. Do not relax too much, however, because hard work and dedication to the task at hand (learning how to be a good engineer) is paramount! For some the "best" option is to take some time after high school to join the work force and gain valuable knowledge and maturity. For others it is to continue their scholastic journey while they still have the mindset of a student. Choose wisely and be fanatic about that choice!

Angelique

On the edge of embarking on this new adventure of college - the commencement of your adult life, allow yourself time to stop and really consider who you are and what your purpose is in this life. Be sure to make wise decisions about the future; decisions which are truly your own - not your parents, friends, or other advisors. Take into consideration not only the things at which you excel, but more importantly, the things for which you have a passion. For it is passion more than ability that will carry you through the rest of your life. Do keep yourself in balance, however. Do not allow the emotions of the moment to override the wisdom and intelligence that have gotten you to this point in your life. Enjoy college. Be involved in student activites, build life-long relationships, but do not ruin your chances of success with a lack of judgment or a moment of weakness. From this point on, every decision you make will effect not only your future, but the future of those around you. Be aware of your uniqueness; you were created with a special purpose in mind - it's up to you to live it!

Crystal

Your almost out of high school, one of the most important rites of passage in society. You will soon be on a college campus with a great deal of freedom and enjoyment, but also more responsibilities. At this time in your life you will be responsible for every decision and every opportunity you consider. Along with education comes picking a major and career, many upcoming freshmen enroll with their mission of being the next doctor, engineer, or lawyer set in their mind; however it is alright to be undecided your first year, explore your options. College is imagined in the social light rather than the educational aspect in the eyes of high school students. The social events such as football games are fun and memorable, but joining different organizations is just as fulfilling in enjoying your free time. My early years of college I was not as active in organizations as I should have been and it became apart of my regrets. On true beginning of being an adult meet as many good friends as possible. Mainly, through all the excitement and chaos of college keep in mind the reason why your there and experience college to the fullest. .

Jacqueline

My college experience has exposed an insatiable interest to further my schooling and pursue my field of interest since completing my undergraduate degree. I fully expected my college experience to be an accomplishment of one simple goal: receiving my diploma. That quickly became an afterthought when I realized I was no longer looking at my schooling as a "reaching the finish line" undertaking, but more of a "What will I learn today?" experience. December 2010 marked two years since the completion of my undergraduate degree, and my appetite for more schooling has increased ten-fold as I find myself reminiscing on past classroom experiences. I lend this desire to my acquired academia at the University of South Alabama. I am eager to begin schooling again and with hopes that an opportunity will grant itself a window for me in the near future to accomplish this goal. I can only hope it will hold the many positive facets that my undergraduate experience at the University of South Alabama has granted me.

Rudolph

That its alot better than high but its a much easier way to get a job. Because most jobs now req. you to have a degree so thats why its valuable to attended college and i recommmend everybody who doesn't have a degree in anything to go or go back.

I have just finished my first semester of college and I have gotten a lot out of it College is a great experience. Its a chance to meet new and different people. The classes themselves are interesting and enrollimg in alioberal arts program at a 2 year college is a great idea for those who arent so sure about what they want to do. Even though I know what I want to do it still is a great program to be in.

Felicia

College has been the best and most important experience of my life so far. It has allowed me to experience what it is like to be on my own and how to be independent and responsible. Socially college has allowed me to interact and learn from people of different backgrounds and cultures that have different customs and values. Also I have been able to make social connection with professors which is has helped me through college and I believe will help me in my professional career. The most important social connections I have made though are with my friends. The friends I am making now will be lifelong friends that will be a great support system throughout my life. After starting college I feel I better understand what is going on in the world around me. It has allowed me to grow and mature into a confident adult and has given me the tools and support I need to succeed. The experiences I have had in college are invaluable for it has taught me life lessons and has given me lifelong connections. College has been an essential stepping stone for me from being a teenager to being an adult.

The top two things I have gotten out of my college experience would be studying abroad and time management skills. Studying abroad changed me forever and it is without a doubt my favorite thing that I did while I was attending my 4-year undergraduate school. It has opened my eyes to the world and different cultures as well as made me realize things about my own culture. It has also opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities for my career path. Another valuable thing about my college education is learning how to manage my time and juggle multiple projects at once. Over the years I have steadily gotten better at this and my confidence in my ability to keep up with a fast paced job has increased.

cheryl

Becoming a published author is difficult and time consuming, with many people competing for the same end result. Therefore, developing my skills over that of the competition will get me closer to my goal and increase my chances of success. Obtaining a degree in philosophy will not only provide me with a wide knowledge base of subjects and material on which to write, but also give me practice and feedback on my written communication, thus setting me at an overall advantage. I will gain exposure to matters on which I am not versed, expanding my knowledge base while being molded into a well-rounded individual. These attributes are necessary in reaching my goal of becoming a published author of non-fiction in the humanities. It is because of this that I have recently decided to continue my education in the hopes of turning my passion for writing into a lucrative career.

Stephani

My college experience has been very interesting thus far and has provided many opportunities through culture and classes. In my few short months on campus I have already experienced some of the amazing shows and theater oppotunities at IU. My classes have also provided me an oppotunity to explore my interests and possible majors. Going into my freshman year as an undecided student, I took various classes exploring various interests of mine. Thanks to the classes I am enrolled in, I have been able to narrow down my options and focus on a major.

Brooke

Since attending my chosen Community College, I have gained knowledge and skills in and out of the classroom for my classes. A person quickly learns to do their homework when they recieve it and not last minuet, as well as looking back over essays, and studying well ahead of the test date. Attending a Community College has helped prepare and excite me for my future desired University and taken me out of the high school world and into the real world. My college experiance has been tiring yet refreshing and I can not wait to move on to a University thanks to it.

Christina

I am a returning student who has been out of college for a little more than 10 years. My reason for returning to college is to obtain a degree in registered nursing. Even though this is my first semester back, what I have gotten so far from college experience is the work takes alot of time therefore time management is very important especially if I work a fulltime job. I study and complete homework assignments consistently. For me, college is valuable for me to attend because I am determined to reach my goal and that is to get into the registered nursing program at Del Mar College which is a very competitive program. Once I have reached my goal I will go into the nursing industry very prepared.

Timothy

My college experience has only began. But, if you want, I'l be happy to answer it when I graduate, Ha Ha Ha! So far, I've gathered that college isnt as hard as I expected, but that you definately need to be an individual who is responsible enough to go to class and read the material in order to get a good grade. I've also found that college is very expensive, and hence, im applying for as many scolarships as I can! Ha Ha! But, anyway, Im probobly not the right person to ask about the "College Experience". Many people think about the college experience, and things like parties and late night cramming pop into their heads... And I dont like parties, and I never late night cram for anything. But, so far, I've found college to be enjoyable. I just hope that I will have the financial ability to continue.

I have learned that wearing real clothes instead of uniforms to school is awesome! I have learned that being in a Sorority might be hard, but it has been a valuable experience working with charities and fundraisers. I have learned that studying is mandatory. I have spent more time studying with my big sisters than I have sleeping! I will do the same for my little sisters coming up in the future. I have learned that all people of different color and nationalities are basically the same. We all are growing together in whatever vocation we chose, but can still hang out with and enjoy everyone no matter what. I love college life! My parents have struggled to get me here and I want to make them proud. I also have two younger sisters that I try to coach into making the right choices for their upcoming college life. Hopefully I will be a teacher in a few short years. I am working part time in a child care facility, but cannot wait to have my own kids to teach all year!

Rikki

I've learned in my first semester that striving for perfect scores and the highest grades only makes the college experience more difficult. Doing your best without pushing yourself past what you know you are capable of makes school work easier to complete. Potentially, working at a comfortable pace makes pursuing a degree and moving to the next level of education easier and more enjoyable

Danielle

I have gotten out of my college experience some very good friends and life experience. It is valuable for me to attend because it has showed me what I want to do with my life.

I am focusing on finding a career path where I can apply my educational background and also solve interesting and engaging problems on a daily basis. To help narrow my options, I have attempted to gain experience in various fields that interest me through internships. I feel that the University of South Alabama has helped me acheive this.

I began taken college classes during high school because I wanted to cut down the time to receive a bachelor degree. From these classes I have learned about planning, maturity and the higher level of thinking needed. Now that I am about to enter community college full time, I am confident that I will be able to handle the homework and educational load. having the experience of atttending college previously, it will be easier for me to pass the classes and I will know the layout of the school. To me college is valuable because I want to be a physical therapist, and without an education, I obviously can not complete that goal. Education is important to grow as a person, gain individual ideas and have the ability to give back to the world. With a college education, I can do this, repair peoples bodies and give their lives back.

David

I have waited over thirty years to have this opportunity to go back to college. I am just very happy to have the chance. Just wish I had the funds that I need in order to better myself. Thankyou for this opportunity. David

Michaele

What I've gotten out of my college experience is learning different cultures and how working hard, and studying is a strong factor in being successful in college. I didn't take that into consideration until now when I can no longer get financial aid.

Andrea

So far, I have gain valuable experienced from going to college, which will help me throughout life. My faith in God has become stronger. I have learned to stay focused even when there were times I want to go out with friends. College has also allowed me to experience more responsibility and become more independent. Also, I have become better at time management. I am able to get get my work done in a timely manner, so I can have time set aside to relax or have fun. Before I came to college I was used to living by my parents rules, like have a set curfew. Once I got to college I had more freedom, but I realized that I still needed rules and curfews, if I wanted to do well in school. College as also bettered my time managment skills. Attend college has been a very valuable experience for me. I feel like by going of to school has and still is preparing me for the working world, when I am officially done with school.

Tammy

I have not yet started my college experiece just yet. I have already come to the understanding that for me to be able to provide better for myself and my children, getting an education will be the only way for that to happen. The things that I have already learned about this medical assisting program is somethig I can enjoy and learn and grow.

Joel

At this point in history I decided to attend graduate school and become a secondary education teacher in the Social Sciences. My undergraduate degree allowed me to explore other options in life but it gave me a basis that has brought me to where I am today which is nearing the end of my graduate studies. I am older and wiser and have a vast real world work experience which will help me in the classroom. My undergraduate experience set a tone of exploring, even in graduate school, the ideas presented which led me to question what I was being taught so I could validify or reject the information given.

Cedria

If I could go back to my senior year and talk to myself, the first thing I would say to myself is stay focus because life only gets harder. Never let the small things in life try to make me give up on my situations when I have a difficult task to follow. Another conversation I would have with myself is to expect for the worse, but hope for the best. The test will be harder, the work will become more difficult and I would gain friends and loose friends. Although, college is a place to have fun, but it is also a place to get a degree and start a career.

Demetrius

Don't panic! I know I look like you but, better because I am older. We have to go somewhere private because we can not be seen together. I came from the future to give you some advice about college. The first and most important thing I want to tell you is to fill out the FAFSA forms as early in the year as you can. The earlier you fill out those forms, the more money you can get from the school. I also want to encourage you to apply for scholarships constantly! College is not cheap and your going to need a lot of help. Be prepared to meet lots of new people. When you get to college you are going meet people from all over the world who have been raised differently and experienced many of life's trials. You can learn a lot about yourself as well as building lifelong relationships with other people. I know this is mind boggling, but you will understand the importance of this conversation one day. I must go now, but you need to know one thing. This is real and you need to remember every word I spoke today. Good-bye.

STUDY! STUDY! STUDY! You are no longer in high school. You do not realize how quickly you're GPA can drop. Be wise, do not drop classes! Read the chapters before class that way you can be prepared to take educated notes. Learn the material before the eve of the test. Trust me, you will thank me later! These all-nighters are killing me! Go to class! Most teachers give bonus points if you do not miss any days! That is a major plus! If I had payed attention my first two years, I would not be working so hard to bring my GPA up. Most importantly, have fun. You deserve it and after all, this is what college is about. Yes go out and have those wild and crazy nights, but be responsible in your academics. Live life, you don't have forever.

Neila

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would make many suggestions. I would first make a suggestion to apply to more scholarships because there seems to never be enough money to pay for college. I would also tell myself to go ahead and make the leap of changing roommates. I would explain to myself that a roommate can really make or ruin the semester for you. I would also tell myself that college will be a fun experience and that I should not worry too much about the courses because I am prepared. I would then advise myself to be ready to meet senseless people at college. Those people do get into college, but fortunately they do not last too long in college. I would tell myself that this would help me in my future career of becoming a doctor because I will better understand that some people do not always have what is called ?common sense?. The biggest piece of advice I would leave myself with is that common sense is not so common.

Paulina

Don?t burn all your bridges before you leave. You WILL probably come back to those old friends and your family in time of need and desolation. And you will have those days of desolation, especially when EVERYONE is going out and you?re stuck studying for tomorrow?s quiz in your Saturday morning class? Ask each time before buying something ? ?Do I really NEED this? What will happen if I don?t buy it, will it drastically affect me?? And you?ll be broke if you eat out every meal. Do not try to tackle everything at once. In college you have a hundred things thrown at you. With friends, homework, jobs, social networking, and all the other distractions - you WILL be busy. So turn off your computer and WRITE your essay out, then type it. This way you?re not on Facebook every five seconds, procrastinating by talking to friends.

jacques

do better on my ACT TEST and didnt mess around like it did when i was in high school. i would have been more succesful now.

Cody

High school is commonly known for all the drama it has in it. Advice towards that would be to just forget about it all, when you start college everything changes. I have always been worried about my appearance and social standings. All of that is forgotten once you go to a university. There's too many people to keep up with that nobody cares and it is not stressed so much on as in high school. Finally, stressing the importance of effective study habits. People go to college to get a good education and more. The only thing that matters when one leaves college, is what you learned and how you used it. Without effective study habits, one can not get the most out of what is being taught. By far, stressing that is the most important of all!

Carol

The very first thing I would tell myself is go to a community college! I attended Calhoun Community College in Huntsville and Decatur, AL and that transition was much easier than going to a big 4 year university. The second thing would be don't be overwhelmed by the beaureauacracy. Just get out there and go to the financial aid office and apply and ask for help. Stay organized and keep up with your paperwork. Grants and scholarships aren't just for people below the poverty line, they are available to everyone. The third thing I would tell myself is go to fastweb.com. Complete a scholarship profile, you are eligible for more than you think! Going to college for the first time is very intimidating. Kids need to understand that it's simply a step by step process that is easily accomplished when you ask for help.

pete

If i could go back in time to high school and tell myself what i know now, I would tell myself to calm down. I would have told myself to go ahead and join the army, your gonna have many experiences. I would have gave myself a warning about the tour in Iraq. But i would have said not to worry so much, it will get better. I would have said not to wait so long after getting out the Army to start school. Not to worry about if college was going to be to much. I have just recently started school so I'm still learning myself but i would have told myself to let loose, dont worry so much about the small stuff, we can do this, I promise. But keep a tight mind on the future, you know what you want, so go get it.

caree

The advice I would give myself is to be prepare, it is not easy as i thought it would be, try to find your purpose in life, and how you and others will benefit from your career choice. That's what matters the most.

Adrianna

If I had the chance to travel back in time to give myself advice about the upcoming college experience, I would tell myself to just be myself, be outgoing, and be friendly. There are many others who are new to the transition, and just as in need of friends. Try to get to know as many people as you can and become good friends, for friends are the ones who are with you and who will help you get through, especially in the tough times, which are sure to come.

Tamarah

First, No more parties. Stay home and study and take the ACT/ SAT until you get a score that will get you into top universities. Do more research on career choices. Figure out what it is that you want to do( and don't look at the money part). Wait to get a boyfriend and just concentrate on making your life better. Spend more time reading books. Get involved more in your community and extra- urricular activites. Learn to swim, it is a life skill that everyone needs to know how to do. Spend more time with family. Save more money for tuition,book, and any other fees. Take more time seaching and putting in for scholarships. And most importantly love yourself and take good care of yourself. P.S. Don't wear that purple dress the first day of class you will get the worst stares of your life.

Cameron

I would tell myself to participate more in the school i.e. clubs and teams and also more in the community. These things would help me out when it came to applying for college and scholarships. Seconldy I would tell myself to be more diligent in my work and not to procrastinate as much. Things like these would not only improve my grades but also my work ethic when it came to a job and essentially a career. College life is fun but the studies need to be the focus. Lastly I would tell myself that if I wanted to do something I just needed to set my mind to do it and not let what others say I can and can't do affect my decision, because overall it's my future not theirs.

anthony

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell myself to prepare better for tests. Also to study harder and take school more seriously because when i was younger i didnt know how much education makes a major difference in your quality of life. I actually teach that to my son and he is off to college soon. My daughter is in her second year in college. So in a way im able to kind of tell my advice not to my imagined self but to my children. And that advice is working wonders for them, now im trying to see if its too late for me to use it on myself. Thank you.

Diana

The advice I would give myself if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior would be to pay as much attention as I can and to study the most I can because in college every thing I will learn will help me a lot. Another advice I would give myself is to stay away from friends that are not in the right path. I would tell myself to stay away from friends that are involved in gangs because most of gangbangers are not likely to go on to college and may not even get their High School diploma, to choose or get involved in programs that will help me prepare more for the career I want . Even though High School seems so far from having a family I think that college is the main reason for getting a good career and to have a secure future for my family. I would tell my self to think on my future.

Madeline

If I could go back in time and talk to my senior-self, I would have a mouthful to say. I would most definitely tell myself about the differences between high school and college classes. I was a straight A student, and I never had to study for tests in high school. I learned very quickly that it is very different in college. Also, I would make my 12th-grade self enter all those essay-writing scholarships, because even though I received some amount of scholarship from my school, however it is still very difficult to cover the left over amount of tuition. Lastly, I would tell my senior self that I should have saved up much more money than I had. Starting college is ver yexpensive because there are so many fees you have to pay for, and you also have to buy your textbooks as opposed to borrowing them like I had in high school. Overall, I had a good transition from high school to college, but these things are the main things I would love to be able to change about the process.