Columbia, SC
University of South Carolina-Columbia

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

Shamari

USC Columbia is a great school, you'll meet new people as soon as you get here just be prepared to have random people talk to you. There's plenty of organizations to join in with and they have loads of fairs for the organizations if people want to partake in them. The only downside into the school is the walking which is per norm, parking isn't that great, you literally pay for almost, if not everything. The real downside is financial aid. They're not the best, it's best if you really need to speak to them, it's best to go to the actual building or call continuously because they are and will make mistakes a lot of the time.

John

I visited and applied to the University of South Carolina--I never received a decision. After several calls after the March 16th notification, it became obvious that they had misplaced my application, etc. Rather than admit the huge mistake on their part, they kept giving me the run around. Fortunately, I was admitted to a much stronger school. However beware of their admissions department-very disorganized and unprofessional!!!

Erin
Never go here

Never go here

My experience at USC was awful. I lived in an all girls dorm where no one talked to their neighbors or anyone on their hall. I joined a sorority and it was the worst decision I've ever made. It is everything but a family. You are looked down upon if you aren't Greek, so it's a loose-loose. Columbia is an AWFUL city. Nothing to do, not outdoorsy at all. There are more homeless people than students. The racism at USC is on an unbelievable level, even though everyone denies it. If you go just 2 minutes off campus, you will find yourself in the heart of the ghetto. The only fun thing to do in Columbia is go to 5 points, where the bars are a lot fun, but you HAVE to have a fake to be able to get in and not to mention their has been so much crime in that area including murders, drug deals, and more. Do not go to USC. It's awful.

Claire
University of South Carolina - Columbia

University of South Carolina - Columbia

I absolutely love it here! It may sound cheesy, but every single day I think of how lucky I am to go to such a great school that holds so many opportunities for me. College is definitely a big investment, so making sure you're 100% in love with your school is a big deal. Go Cocks!

Otis

My overall opinion of USC Coumbia is that the school has a wonderful football team. The school itself is very large and have lots of major to choose from. When I tell people about this school there reation is wanting to learn more about it. There are no frequent complaints about USC Columbia SC.

My favorite class is the Physica Education program. Class partipation is common because every student that are enrolled loves this program and wants a degree in this major.Students in this class is very competitive. They are eager to challlenge and make good grades. My Major is Physical Education. This major/department teaches us about physcal education. When I graduate in this major it will help me to teach my students about physical education.

ELIZABETH
What are your classes like?

What are your classes like?

General Education ones are a bit boring but they are requirements so I make the best of them. My major ones are great even have fun doing all night-ers to review information I will use in the future.

Barely know any just started

I would have to say the stereotype type is every student loves it here and from what I have been told they actually do not. Some had to attend here to either make their parents happy or avoid loans because they would be out-of-state students elsewhere. I love it here it would break my heart to leave because I cannot afford it.

I am not one hundred percent sure as this is my first semester but from what I have seen I would say sports are very important to this school, also making sure the GPA standards are high as it is a well known school.

Friendly, interesting, smart, outgoing, family oriented and the level of school spirit is just amazing.

It is hard to keep up but you learn so much, and develop time management skills which are necessary to succeed.

Angelica

My school has the number one public honors college in the nation. This allows me to have a quality education that is top notch, without having to pay a private college top notch price. I also have the advantages of going to a big public college paired with the advantages of the being in a small honors college.

Taylore

The University of South Carolina is best known for having the number one undergraduate International Business program in the nation and number two worldwide. The program has been recognized for its academic, research, and field leadership. Any student who majors in the International Business program will be fully equipped because there are qualified business leaders that will teach the students what they need to know.

Let's say that there was an opportunity for me to travel back in time through a time machine. I would travel back to the school year of 2013-2014 when I was a high school senior. I would probably scare my high school self, but I would try to tell myself the tips of succeding in college. Welcome to How to Survive in College 101. College is a way different lifestyle than high school. There is more freedom, more clubs, and more people to meet. However, do not get caught up with the partying everynight life. There's nothing wrong with taking a break from work when the work is done. Do not be like those college students who pay thousands of dollars and take out loans just to flunk out of college. I would also tell myself that there will be a time when you accidentally lock yourself out of your room. When you lock yourself out of your room, just make sure you have a pair of shoes on. I had to learn the hard way. I had to walk barefoot outside to get a temporary dorm key. College provides crazy experiences. You'll be alright.

The kind of person that should attend the University of South Carolina, is a person who believes that there is nothing that can limit their success. The person should have a set mindset to learn all he or she can to excel in the workforce. The person should not wait for opportunities to come to him or her, he or she should be looking for opportunities that will help better the Carolina community. At the University of South Carolina, there are no limits to our success.

Evetria

What makes USC unique is its location. It is in the city and is also close to lakes and rivers. It dominates the majority of downtown Columbia and provides the public with arenas such as the Colonial Center that can be used for concerts, circus' and graduations, as well as the Coliseum which holds many exhibitions annually. Having the school in the state capital makes it a focal point and there is a lot to do around it.

I would simply tell myself that everything is going to be great. I learned a lot in school and do not regret any of the experiences I had. I completed my degree in the normal amount of time, made the dean's list, studied something I was interested in and was able to do all of those things while attending a school that cared about the student's first. The only thing I would tell my high school self and any person attending college is to apply for more scholarships. There is a lot of free money available but you have to apply for it. Student loan is a burden in life after college and there are ways to avoid it. I would advise all graduating high school seniors and gradute students to apply for all scholarships they are eligible for.

THe University of South Carolina is and was a great school. There was nothing about it I didn't like. It exposes students to different cultures and expansive education. The university continues to grow and puts the money directly where it should go; students and research.

Christina

The majority of my classmates at the University of South Carolina are hard-working individuals with diverse backgrounds.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, without hesitation, I would inform myself of the abundant amount of opportunity that is ahead of me. I would explain that the transition from high school to college is one of the most critical points in our life. It is this time in an individual's life where they can recreate themselves and become everything they have always dreamed of becoming. Along with recreating yourself in this "new chapter of life", as the cliche goes, a sense of greater responsibility will form in you. All of a sudden you will feel that it is your job to discover the cure for cancer or invent a teleportation device; and it is so crucial that you allow that feeling to resonate within you because this is your moment and this is your time to make an impact.

When dicussing my school with friends, I brag about the incredible school spirit and drive both inside and outside the classroom.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.