University of South Carolina-Aiken Top Questions

Paige

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that it is very important to study the material that I am given during my High School years and to do well so that I could have a good GPA. One important thing that I have learned during my time at USC Salkehatchie, is that it is very easy to get distracted and mess up your classes and very hard to pull back up from that loss. GPA's mean a lot especially in a competitive program like the nursing program I am currently in. I wish I would have focused more on my GPA earlier on to make these semesters that I am taking now easier on me. It is important to focus, do your work, and party later because these years go by very quickly and you can find yourself down the road with nothing to show for it if you don't remain determined and motivated to advance in your education and ultimately your career.

katie

I would tell myself to take it slowly, lower all your expectations, get out there and become invloved in new and exciting groups, make friends. dont wait to opportunuities to fall in your lap, make your dreams come true. stay connected to your family and friends who know the true you, do the things that make you happy. realize that nobody is perfect, and your are going to have good and bad days. some professors are going to stink, but it is all a learnign process. for God sakes, wait for love and dont rush into it. once you fall in love, it is impossible not to let it tank your life.

Courtney

If I could go back to myself as a senior in high school, there is much advice I could give myself knowing now what I did not know then. Firstly, I would recommend I participate in the dual enrollment program offered at my high school which allows students to take a college course and earn college credit. This would have given me an idea of what college is like and allowed me to prepare myself. I would also tell myself to do your very best on every assignment and test in order to boost my GPA. Finally, I would apply for more scholarships. A high GPA and applying for more scholarships would benefit me in college. The scholarships would improve my writing abilities as well as potentially cut down tuition costs. If I knew then what I know now, I would be more prepared for college life.

Dylan

Dylan, I've been in college now for a year. It is definitely different than I thought it would be. Man, I can tell you this, I was not prepared! I wish I would have paid more attention to my teachers and my advisor during high school. I just didn't take them as serious as I should have. I just wanted to enjoy my senior year. I had looked forward to being a senior for so long, but I didn't really realize the importance of it, or my junior year, really. I sure had fun and made lots of memories, but I did not prepare myself for the work I had ahead at college. If I could go back, I would form better study habits and I would watch that thing, you know what it is, my GPA. That's right, my Grade Point Average. I would try harder to make my GPA higher. I sure enjoyed the football games, the girls and the fun I had with all my friends. As I look back, though, I would concentrate more on my grades and my future and actually listen to my parents, teachers and guidance counselor. Listen, Dylan!

Brianda

If i would go back in time, the advice i would give myself would be not to procrastanate in my work. To get my work done ahead of time and not the night before. Also to get my priorities straight and keep my education first. As well as keeping all my grades up so that my GPA does not go down and have to lose any scholarships because school is first. Another advice that i would give myself would be to get involved more on campus, such as clubs and sorority's.

Desirae

Looking back on my old high school self, if I could give myself advice, it would mainly be to not procrastinate, and be on time. Those two things are key during the college experience. Professors wait on no one, and with all of the other students, it's so hard to get individual accomodations made. Time is the most important thing that cannot be gained back once lost. In high school I was able to accomplish the task of doing homework and assignments at the last minute and receiving good outcomes, but in college I've learned that it's better to get work done early.

KAYLYNN

College life. Wow what a difference. When in high school we all thought it was pointless for the teachers to try to "prepare" us for college. However, I could not offer more advice than to listen to rhem and follow their advice, each one of them has attended college to teach you. The amount of work, time, and the fact of your freedom become a large burden in college. The homework amount you are issued is much more than most high school courses. College provides a learning experience and many of us should take advantage of it. Be aware that you are on your own and paying for your education, this makes you responsible for your education. Not many professors will let you take the easy way out of things, you are responible for you. College is a free for all it is what you make of it. College education is a great experience, you meet new people, lifetime friends, and all the while you obtain an education to one day better yourself. College is a big difference from high school, the only advice to offer is to never lose focus on your goals, dreams and most importantly yourself.

Justin

I would give myself advice on studying tips and also I would tell myself that I need to study as much as I can when I go into college because it will be much more difficult than that of high school.

Twanna

I have gotten many things out of my college experience the most helpful being tips about the real world. Teachers at this institution will help you understand what its like in the real world after college graduation and help you deal with it.

Vanessa

As a college student, I was able to successfully complete my Associate's degree which is transferrable to UCF. My classrooms never consisted of more than 35 students allowing me to create personal, informative relationships with my professors. I participated in a service abroad program which strengthened my love for travel and journalism. My school's service learning program provided me the chance to do something out of the ordinary while still learning course material and practicing Spanish as a second language. Visiting another country also made me realize the significance of being a student and working hard to learn about the world around me. The children in DR were not given the chance to attend school and are living a life of poverty and manual labor. School can open so many doors for them, and I am fully aware of the doors it has opened for me. My college career has been invaluable to me as it has created an environment in which I was able to meet influential people in my community, gain better understanding for what I hope to achieve with my degree, and get real world experience while still under the wings of knowledgable professors.

Jack

I am planning to transfer to a larger school next year, so this year has allowed me to raise my GPA and to get accustom to college life. USC Aiken isn't far from my family and it allows me to come home on weekends.

Aime'e

I started my current program 12 years ago. I always knew obtaining a college education could benefit me and the people around me. Although I acertained skills while working on the job, I always knew I wanted to go back to get my degree. I knew how to do things but I wanted to know what did it mean, why, and what do I do if something went wrong. I could only obtain that kind of information in a school setting. I also obtained hands-on skills that was not available in most on-the-job situations . I have met people that I will probably cross paths with in the future and could be mutually beneficial. My college professors were very instrumental in me doing well in school. I took full advantage of their help and the advice they offered to me, which as a younger student I did not. I have gained knowledge and experience that will take me through my career and the rest of my life.

Kiamesha

As a current college student I have received the gift of a higher learning and a better state of understanding. Throughout my high school years I was taught to learn and retain the material; however, in college I have been taught not only learn the material, but to apply and use the knowledge I have learned in the classroom to enhance my life. Also, throughout my current college experience, I have learned how to think critically. Thinking critically is something I was never challenged to do before college. I believe these things are very important because when I start my career and my boss asks me a question, I cannot tell him or her to wait until I finish flipping through my textbook to find the answer, I will have to respond on the spot and learning to think critically will allow me to do so. The education I am receiving in college will enhance the quality of my life and that value is beyond measure, even though I have not received a degree to start my career, I have learned a new way to think and a better opportunity to live.

Renee

Attending classes at the local junior college has been enlightening. I realize that you don't have to be fresh out of high school to continue your education. I've joined the newspaper and really contributed to campus. As a ROS, I get to see how the younger generation goes about treating the world. I also now know that respect is essential to a successful life.

Terri

During my first year at USCA, I have made many new friends that I will hopefully always have. Most of the professors I had were great and taught at a good pace and explained things very well. USCA's campus is small, but makes you feel at home. with all the trees, to provide shade and flowers in the springtime. I have found it valuable to attend USCA because it was close to home but I still get the feeling of "the college life" as people say.

My college has opened my mind and heart to several new and exciting opportunities I would have never encountered had I not attended USCA. First off, I joined the Equestrian Club my freshman year then was elected Club President. In one year I took the club to Club-Sport level, the first and only club-sport at Aiken. We then were able to join the IHSA and gain Team status. This opportunity allowed for me to join and head several other organizations on-campus, such as Enrollment Planning Committee, Out of State Recruitment, Orientation Committee-Freshman Student Orientation Leader, Student Nurses Association, etc. I recently was elected as a member of the Student Alumni Association, which has allowed me several opportunities to work with alumni in my industry and network for student employment opportunities, as well as future job endeavors. Through these opportunities and club involvement, they opened my eyes to volunteering, where I currently serve as a volunteer at a local hospital, healthcare clinic, and equine rescue program. USCA has offered me more opportunities that I could have ever asked for. I love USC Aiken!!

Susan

I have learned so much in college already and not just academically. Having classes with such a diverse group of people and interacting with them has made me so much more accepting of people who are different from me. I have changed alot since I started college, but for the better. The teachers and fellow students have taught me to be myself without fear of judgement and accept others without judgement. I have found that I can express myself artistically and I've discovered so much more about myself that I didn't know before. My college experience is extremely valuable to me to help guide me to that place I belong in the world. To help me discover myself, my interests, and to help me acheive my goals. I am continuing college to better prepare me for life in the workplace, and to continue interacting with others outside of my normal social group. I look forward to meeting and getting to know more people while continuing to discover more about myself as I strive to achieve my goals and set an excellent example for all those I come across in life.

Meagan

Coming into my freshman year of college, I honestly didn't know what to expect and was surprsised find some trhings out. I have learned the true meaning of independence and budgeting within reasoning. I believe the hardest part of attending college for the first time is the physical, mental, and emotional adjustment that has to take place. Adjusting was a very hard thing for me due to the complex curriculm that was given to me. I had to learn effective time management and how to take the iniative in getting what I need, whether it be tutoring or any extra help. Overall, my college experience has been a great learning phase as I began to find out more and more interesting facts about myself. College honestly gives you the growing and maturing push that is needed in everyone's life at some point in time.

Staci

While attending the University of South Carolina-Aiken, I have realized the tremendous importance of education in a person's life and how valuable it is to be open to many new and possibly intimidating experiences. I will admit that in high school, I did not reach my full potential. My college experience, however, has changed the way I think about education. Now, I actually WANT to learn more and do as well as I possibly can. College has opened my eyes to many issues in the world and pushed me to be more inquisitive about these issues. This past semester, I took a Spanish course, and it made me realize that I want to learn more about other languages and cultures. I also took an English course that emphasized on being able to switch "lenses" and look at things through different views. These are just a few of the things I've gotten from this university. As if this is not enough, I also have met many different, diverse people and made new friendships with people who have added to my learning experience. Overall, I love the University of South Carolina-Aiken and never want to leave!

Erica

My college experience has allowed me to have the career I have now as a dental hygienist. However, it is even more valuable for me to continue on in my education so I can advance in my career. My ultimate goal is dental hygiene education, and that is why I am pursuing a Master's Degree. I believe lifelong learning is important for everyone and I want to be able to prove that to my future students. Attending college not only prepared me for the job market, it also taught me discipline and responsibility. I'm not just getting an education, I'm learning life's lessons along the way which is extremely valuable.

Not only have I learned the materials in my classes, but I have also learned valuable skills I can use in life. I have matured, become more hard-working, and organized. It has been valuable to me because I am the only member of my family to go to college. It is a struggle, but it reassures me that I am intended for more in life and I know I can achieve it by continuing my college experience.

I have learned I have to work hard to accomplish what I want in life. I have also learned good study habits lead to greater achievements. Attending college is very rewarding, it allows me to reach heights in the world that I couldn't before. Overall, choosing to go to college is the best descion I could have ever made.

Marcus

Dear Self, First of all, you took too long to start applying for colleges and finacial aid. Start earlier and this time, you might get some more money. Engineering is extremely hard here, so work harder in your math and science courses. If by any chance that you figure out you don't want to be an engineer when you get here, graphic design is way more easier(you still make the same amount of money). Now I know that you want to participate in alot of extracurricular activities, but be careful. Our freshman year was alot more frustrating than should have been because you were tryin to be too "social." Don't let the troubles of home get you down either. Mom and Dad have been fighting forever, so when mom calls to tell you about the last argument they had, just play it safe. Don't rush home and try to help with there situation all the time(this will also help on gas). I know we wanted to attend school out of state, but USCA isn't that bad. Just keep your grades up, and I know tht we will make it to graduation. Love, Marcus Toomer

Brittney

If I could back in time I would tell myself to chose harder classes. During my highschool years I choose the easy classes so I could go through school and not have any problems. taking college for three semsters it is as hard as people make it out to be. I would tell myself to study hard and keep notes because some of the things I learned in highschool would be helpful in college. I would tell my self to take classes that have to deal with the degree I am going to get. Getting a head start would have been the smart way to go. College is hard when you are no prepared for what is coming your way. I would have told my self to get a jump start on college because it hits you hard and fast when it comes.

Matthew

Dear Matthew, Get off your fat ass and do your home work! College is not easy shit, plain and simple. I know your a hard head and only think that college is just an extention for school, its a hell of a lot harder. Now I know what you are thinking, "I'm crazy in the future, here it comes, Im loosing it." You are so wrong. Its hard but fun, when you start work, dont forget to lock up at night. ps. dont go out late to go see the new alvin movie, it can wait.

Beatrice

I would advise myself to save money--it would prevent me from working and allow me to focus completely on my studies. I would tell myself not to be afraid of making new friends, because often those friends could help make up study groups and can be the key to maintaining sanity while studying. I would advise myself to start a strict study schedule, that way college will not be such a shock to me. I would advise myself to be open to many possibilities, because college can change people. I would tell myself to never stop dreaming, because the moment you do, you no longer have purpose, and the purpose of college is to learn and follow your dreams. I would insist on being financially savvy--learning to understand exactly how college loans and scholarships work, and advise to only take the amount necessary to pay for school. I would advise myself that occasionally it is okay to party, and that avoiding them doesn't provide necessary experiences that colleges offer.

Laura

I graduated in 2008, and had to make a difficult decision. My brother, Christopher, was a junior in college, and my parents were struggling with the finances of keeping him enrolled. The decision I ultimately made was to postpone my schooling for a year, so that my brother could complete his final year at Georgia Southern University, and the financial burden on my parents would be less. I made a selfless decision for my family, and it was definitely a hard one. Throughout my senior year at Harlem High School, I struggled with what I was going to do about college. I antagonized over if I should or shouldn?t go to college, and the repercussions of how each decision would affect me and my family. So what I would tell myself if I could go back is this: ?You may be afraid of the uncertainties of a year sans schooling, but the decision to make is to take that chance. When one door closes, another one opens. You will find that you will never regret helping your family out financially, and that the whole experience will help you grow both as an individual, and as your own person.?

Thomas

Finish up your college degree as soon as possible. Be good to those you love and care for. APPLY for those scholarships early! And don't fret over the small things.

Ellie

We all remember how it was to be a senior in high school. Waiting anxiously to be out and free, and into the big unknown world. But if i could go back in time, I would have told myself to put more effort into my school work, and research more colleges that interested me. Putting in more effort in high school will be well worth it once you look back on it.

Ashton

In high school studying was not necessary, everything was always easy. I figure I could breeze through college as well. The difference was the fast pace at which the teachers did lessons. They manage to cram so much information into a single semester, it's pretty impressive. I wish I would have been more prepared for that. Realization hit me that I would have to buckle down and take school seriously in order to excell as I did in highschool. It was had to adjust, and to train my hand to write faster while the teacher lectured us on various subjects. Also it was a transition, because I was broadening my knowledge tremendously. I had never even had a moments thought about politics or anthropology. I would have never guessed so much information was out there. On a lesser scale, I wish I had known more about writing a paper. I now do about two or three a week, and some are about eight pages! Going into college I had little skills in writing an effective research paper, or making a sociological analysis of current events. If only I had more practice with writing, the transition may have been better.

Khadidrah

Although you may think college is going to be easy think again because you're going to have to make tough decisions of whether to stay in and study while your friends are going out to have fun or not worry about it and go anyway. Although it may not seem difficult it can make all the difference between getting that A or ending up with a C. Don't be embarrassed to ask for help when you need it because there will always be someone there to help you out. Be open to new experiences and don't be afraid to put yourself out there because you never know what new oppurtunites will come out of it. Stay active and never let anyone tell you you're not smart enough to achieve you're dream because you can and those kind of comment should only make you work harder for what you want out of life. Even when finacial obligation seem to deter you, remember there is always some way to pull yourself back up and to get back on track.

Yanee'

First off, I would advise myself to manage time carefully. Once you get into college, you realize that there are many different opportunities out there, and you want to try them all out. Time management is a really big thing for college students. You should set aside time for studying and school work as well as time to relax and hang out with friends. You don't want to isolate yourself from fun because there are plenty things to do, depending on what you like. You may want to buy yourself a planner or calendar so that you can write down everything that you MUST do each day. Procrastination will not get by in college. You may have gotten by with it in high school but college is different. When a professor wants a certain assignment at a certain time, you better have it to them at that certain time or you will simply fail the assignment. Studying at the last minute is not good either. You may think that cramming at the last minute will help you learn more, but this is not true. I earned my lesson. I no longer procrastinate and I have better time management skills.

College life is definately going to be different from high school. It is best to study at least thirty to fourty-five minutes for each subject every night, as the work tends to pile up fairly quickly. Procrastination is definately not the key to getting your assignments done in college as you will find it frustrating to get the work done effectively and on time. When you first arrive, have an open mind, because college is not high school where everyone knows you and you all get along great. There will be a diverse group of people there in which you would have to get to know, and be around daily. Hard work, determiniation, some late night studying, and snacks are just the key to getting you through your college years!

Kelsey

Put in the effort to find the scholarships and financial aid you need to go to the school that you really want to attend. It is worth it.

Heather

Follow your heart, it will lead you in the right path. Also, study, study, and did I mention always study.

Jasmine

College is a big transition coming from high school. Continue to study and stay active in school. Meet new people and become acquainted with your professors because they are there to help you succeed. Never give up. Always ask for help if you need it. Do not be to proud to ask for help when needed. Stay focus and do not get too involve with activities that will interfer with you managing your class work.

Dominique

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to take the SAT and ACT twice because I only took it once. I ended up not doing so well, so I only got accepted into the University of South Carolina. I would tell myself to stay on top of English papers so I don't spend five to ten hours trying to complete a paper that is due in two days.

Crystal

I would tell the parents to let the kids decide where they want to go and not pressure them into either staying home or going away. It's the student's decision, not theirs. I would tell the students to mix play with work because if you study way too much, you get overloaded and stressed and college is not fun for you. But, DO NOT play too much, or else you wont have to worry about college anymore because you wont be there. Find the right balance for you!

Tiffany

It is very important to take into account the type of surroundings you are use to, for example if you are from a big city it may be difficult to live in a small town where nothing is in walking distance. But I strongely reccomend taking a tour of each college or university that you are interested in you never know if your number one pick is for you unless you try it out.

Cheryl

As a young child, I always dreamed of helping others and working in a wonderful job field! College is the right step of helping to prepare a wonderful and exciting career of your dreams! When preparing on finding a wonderful college, a student must search for a college that has emergency services, have clean and safe dormatories, and most importantly, wonderful academic programs, especially the right one for you! If there are high school classmates that are also going to the same college as you, make sure that you don't stay in the same dorm room together because there could be serious drama that can happen and can cause wonderful friendships to end (trust me, I did this and my high school friends move off campus and went to other schools at the end of my Freshmen year). Make sure that you enjoy your college years! Those years go by so fast! Enjoy truthful and honest friends/classmates that you would remember forever! Most importantly, have good study habits! You have to learn to balance fun time and study time. Hanging out and partying is not going to help you get a degree! My college years were wonderful!

Courtney

I would tell students that they should always keep there options open when choosing the right college. Do not choose a school because your friends are going there and pick the best fit for you. I would also tell the parents not to push a school on their children becasue it might not be the best fit for them, but I would encourge the student to listen to their parents because they know them best. I would also tell the student if the school they are plan to attend is not there first choice, they should not rule it out. Stay a full year there with a postive and open mind and you never know how much you will like the school you are planing to attend.

KaLa

The best advice I can give about choosing the right college is don't just base it on financial brackets. Make sure that your child will be comfortable at that school. IF they're not comfortable, more than likely their grades will suffer in the end along with their potential social life. College gives you a chance to make yourself over and become that person you want to be and that's a great opportunity. Choose somewhere that's not expensive, safe environment, and overall, where you and your child can feel comfortable. I know I made the right choice. I have made some life long friends because of the school that I chose and if I had to do it all again, I wouldn't change a thing.

The main two factors to consider when choosing a college are expense and quality of education. You may want to go away to school... but can you afford out-of-state tuition? What about campus housing and meal plans? Does the school offer financial aid such as scholarships, grants, or campus employment? Try to have a definite plan of how you are going to finance your education (and all related expenses) for 4+ years. Pick a school that boasts a high level of post-graduate employment in your chosen major, or that employs professors who are leading researchers in their fields. Ideally, you'll achieve a good balance between cost and quality of education. Keep this in mind when you're in school, too--you want to get the most bang for your buck, right? College is not the time to party; save that for later, once you've achieved "gainful employment". Find other like-minded students in your class and set up study groups, and don't be afraid to ask professors for help. Doing well academically could also lead to more scholarships or grants... in this case, hard work really is its own reward! Good luck!

Christy

When choosing a college, students and parents should always go visit the campus. Take a look inside classrooms and even meet some of their potential professors. Look at the different ways that the university keeps in touch with their students. Not only is it important for you to be in touch with professors, but also with the dean and other on campus officials. Also, take a good look at campus security and the surrounding community; if you take a night class, live on campus, or even plan on moving to a nearby campus area, you will want to know how security is so that you will always feel safe. The college experience is not only about academics but also about getting involved. Look to see what types of organizations are available. From Greek life to community service, all of this can play a huge role in choosing the right college for you!

Tiffany

I would say to make sure that you take your time and evalute all the different colleges you want to attend. Then I would tell them to go and visit their desired college and get to know the staff and students. Once you get accepted into your college of choice make sure you are focused on your goal of obtaining a college degree. Because at all colleges their will be distractions. Make the best of your college education because in todays society knowledge, and education is the key that will unlock many wonderful opportunities for you. Also, in college who knows you might your future husband or wife. I do know that you will meet many wonderful people, and make bonds that will last a lifetime. I have meet people who I can't go a day without talking to. College also helps to shape and mold you into the person want to be. I can say that attending college has changed my life for the best. I am a better person because I attended college.

Norris

Make sure students and parents visits schools more than one time.

Will

Have a good idea what you want out the college experience, and comprimise with how much you're willing to pay. I believe it's possible to get the best of both worlds.

Tiffany

My advice to parents and/or students when choosing the right college would be to visit each campus that you are interested in so that you can get a look at the schools first-hand before making a decision. Most campuses that are large sometimes focus more on athletics than academics, so make sure that you choose a school that will accomodate to all of your needs. A low student to professor ratio is also something to consider so that the student can interact one on one with the professor as needed.

amiee

Make sure that the school is not too big or too small. Also make sure that the school offers courses that will lead you into your career goal, because the worst thing to do is to attend a college and realize you have to transfer.

Won

Dear Students of Parents Make sure that you take a major instead of being undecided. It is good to have a directions at first in going to college, but you can aways change your direction by changing your major. This is okay it is a normal accurance but come in with a goal in mind to get everything done in four years. Also make sure that your degree can get you a job right out of college. For example either a nursing degree, pharmacy, engineering, and teaching. It is nice to have a sure thing coming out of college that you have a specific job in mind. Also shadow that job to make sure it is the job that you want because later on you may hate it and want to do something else. Make sure you have a good time and experience, but don't go overboard by letting your good time make your grades suffer. That happens to a lot of freshmen that drop out the first year because they could not exercise self control. I hope you love the experience and enjoy your college life and learn a lot.