University of South Carolina-Columbia Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of South Carolina-Columbia

Madison

I absolutely love my university. We have a great community of scholars that specialize in numerous - endless - fields of study, professors, advisors, and other mentors to guide us through the most defining years of our lives, an athletic scene that is always excited, and a beautiful campus nicely located within a few hours of the beach or the mountains. UofSC has it all...unless you want a winning football team. They're working on that, though.

Abbey

University of South Carolina is an amazing school. Not only is the school very rewarding academically, but it is also a lot fun. There are so many opportunities for students to get involved and I look forward to attending next year. The downtown areas are thriving and greek life looks like so much fun considering how beautiful the sorority and fraternity houses are and from what my friends who go there have told me. You should definitely consider Uofsc!

Derreck

Its good but expensive. The class size is fine and they have adjusted in accordance to COVID which is good.

Victoria

This is a great school and I’m so thankful that I am apart of the community. I’m a grad school and I am learning so much from my professors and fellow classmates. I am excited for the future and what it holds for me from attending this college. I am a proud student.

Alivia

Everything. It is my dream to go hear.

Kimberlyn

Love the people of University of South Carolina-Columbia! Have you hear of Southern Hospitality? Well, the University of South Carolina has it in spades. There is always someone you can talk to and will help you with a problem. Teachers create a great learning environment and will always take time for you -they really want your to learn! The Shoe is the place to be! You will love it!

Katie

I love it! USC is an amazing place, and everyone is so nice! The professors are super kind and the classes are interesting. Living in Capstone makes for an eventful, but definitely beneficial first year experience. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else!!

Victoria

Amazing atmosphere. Be prepared to get involved right from the start, so much to do that is offered here. The students here are extremely friendly and all are super motivated. The competition here is very high, keeps one on their toes to ensure that they do the very best and reach their full potential.

Dillon

I absolutely love the University of South Carolina! The staff and other students are great and it is so easy to meet new people and make new friends everywhere you go. I feel so at home at USC. The academics are great and the sports and other activities on campus are just as great!

Cornisha

The University of South Carolina-Columbia has been my dream school ever since I was a little girl, so when I got accepted I was ecstatic. I can honestly say that USC is a great school all around and everybody there wants you to succeed and will do what they can to see that you do. I love the diversity and that there is something for everybody to be apart of; we are like one big family and I would not have it any other way.

S

The campus of the university itself has much to enjoy, from the student body with a wide array of interests and perspectives, to the extracurricular activities that are available to participate in. The most apparent issue lies within the campus town, as it is comparatively less interesting and less safe as a whole. Overall, it still remains a great option for university!

Kirstan

I have completely adored my experience here at UofSC in my first semester and a half. I grew up in the upstate, not far from Clemson. Because of the proximity, I grew up on that campus and was expected to apply and attend Clemson University my whole childhood. However, I knew I was going to have a business major, and UofSC has one of the best business in the nation, so there was no way I would miss that opportunity! I never toured the school and my first time on campus was during orientation. I completely fell in love with campus, the leaders, and the overall vibe and feel that the school gave off. I genuinely have zero complaints about anything regarding this phenomenal University! Football games, classes, Chicken Finger Wednesday, basketball, classes, greek life (I didn't even rush, but they have amazing opportunities for students to help with fund raising!) and professors are all greater than I could ever imagine.

Emilee

I am a current freshman at The University of South Carolina. I am a chemistry major and I plan to minor in Spanish. I currently plan to go to med school upon graduating. As all freshman I live on campus in South Tower, which in my opinion is the best there is. I am not as involved as most students but personally I am happy with my involvement. I work at the bookstore a few hours a week and love it! Coming to UofSC was the best decision ever!

Adia

It could be better and more attention could be given to literally anything else besides the sports program. Also they will suck you dry financially so get all the help you can get. You will meet some nice people and teachers so once you find them KEEP THEM IN YOUR SOCIAL BUBBLE. They can help you with your academic and personal career in the future.

John

I visited and applied to the University of South Carolina--I never received a decision. After several calls after the March 16th notification, it became obvious that they had misplaced my application, etc. Rather than admit the huge mistake on their part, they kept giving me the run around. Fortunately, I was admitted to a much stronger school. However beware of their admissions department-very disorganized and unprofessional!!!

Kwane'

My school has so many different opportunities for you to discover you and try new things. There is so much to do on campus and various clubs you can join that match or extend your identity. I love my school overall but we do have a problem with racist students.

Xavier

I love this school from the bottom of my heart. I would recommend it to any incoming freshmen. Things to do here are the following go to the Woman's basketball game they are the best. The gym is amazing to go to. Also there are a lot places to eat to on campus. Lastly it's the only School in South Carolina that had my major,

Margaret

I love my school, and the area its in. It's a great place to find friends and do a bunch of activities. The entire city of columbia is college oriented. Sports events are huge, and school spirit is high. Nightlife is good, and the education is also not bad. Campus is beautiful, and has resources for almost anything you could ever need.

Adnaloy

The University of South Carolina is a very big school, as is any state school. Which means there are a lot of different kids coming from all over the country and abroad. Which means you will get to meet people from all backgrounds and makes it easy to find people you will be friends with for a long time. You also get exposed to a lot of different opinions and stances on issues. The campus is located near five-points which has all the bars students love to go to almost every day of the week. For those who live on campus (mostly freshman and first years) it is just a short walk. USC isn't a party school but more of a bar school because we don't allow smoking or alcohol on campus which includes sorority and fraternity houses. Campus police are very active though and helpful. Football is really important here, big SEC school. But it's okay if you're not into it not everyone is but it is a fun experience. There are also a lot of clubs for all types of interest and organizations to join based on your major. A lot of people join Greek life but a lot of people don't so don't stress about that. All gen-ed classes are big but professors have regualr office hours or are available through email. As are your advisors. The classes though get smaller in size as you advance in your major and minor and it becomes easier to establish a relationship with your professor and classmates. USC understands that your gen-ed classes can be hard so they provided you with tutoring at the student success center and also offer tutoring for other classes you are having trouble in. They care and want you to pass your classes. I used these services and it really helped me out. Overall this school really cares about their students and wants them to succeed. They provided you with multiple resources that need to be taken advantage of. You will not get bored going to school here and you will meet a lot of people and make real friends.

Devyn

I believe that it is a great school. I am receiving a great education. The campus is beautiful and there are so many wonderful things to do on and off campus everyday. The city of Columbia is also amazing. You can go to shops in downtown or you can go to the movies with friends. There is always something for you to do on or off campus.

Kellett

It is a great school and has tons of wonderful opportunities. The class size and the overall size of the school can be a tad overwhelming but it's pretty easy to find your niche because everyone is so individualistic and beats to their own drum. The school is also extremely dedicated to your wellbeing and success, and has plenty of opportunities and help to those who need it.

Miles

My education was always going to lead me to studying at the University of South Carolina. My parents graduated from USC, my brother and sister spent a few semesters here, and we’ve been die-hard Gamecocks for decades. Once I was finally able to begin attending USC after attending a local technical college, I was apprehensive because of the size of the campus, the size of the student body, and whether the professors would be caring and truly interested in me. I wasn’t disappointed. My advisor started off my experience on a positive note. She showed an invested interest in me, emailing me every month to make sure I was on track to register for my classes, and to make sure I was doing alright with my class loads. The classes I took were mostly made up of between 18 and 40 students, and my professors tried to learn my name and learn about me as an individual. The campus is beautiful and, despite parking being a hassle, easy to get around. It wasn’t until I joined a local campus organization that I really felt like I was a part of something in college. With all the groups to choose from, I may even try to join another next semester if I have the time for it. If the University of South Carolina is anywhere in your top 10 colleges/universities to attend, it is definitely worth the time to tour and learn more about. I only have three semesters left, and I can honestly say I’ll be sad to leave the atmosphere I’ve been so warmly welcomed into.

Marisa

The statement "Go Cocks!" may seem quite obscure if you are not from the southeast, but here it is perfectly acceptable. As a matter of fact, on campus this statement causes an uproar of cheering and chanting between the words "game" and "cocks" from one side of a group to the other. From the residence hall of Capstone (or as some call it "Trapstone") to Darla Moore School of Business and all the way out to Williams Brice Stadium (where the real magic happens), as well as everything in between, our campus shows the pride we as students have to be part of the Gamecock Nation. The cliche picture with our "YES!" envelopes from the acceptance letter we received shows the biggest smiles on our faces knowing that we were becoming a part of one big family. No matter the religious, political, or societal differences we each contain, the diversity of our campus is what truly brings us together and shows that we love all of our students, past, present, and future, because they define who we are as Gamecocks.

Jasmyne

Its a really nice school with fun going on daily. There is always things going on and events to get involved with. The classes are very diverse, and usually not that big of a size. Even the 200+ classes have resources that can help better students. Professors are always offering help and there when students need them.

Tamara

The campus is the perfect place to live the "college life". There's always stuff to do and get involved in. The campus may be big but you'll always see a person either walking, biking, or riding to their classes. I have made plenty of friends here who either have a lot in common with me or are the complete opposite of me. The pricing is a little outrageous but that will be the only complaint really.

Shamari

USC Columbia is a great school, you'll meet new people as soon as you get here just be prepared to have random people talk to you. There's plenty of organizations to join in with and they have loads of fairs for the organizations if people want to partake in them. The only downside into the school is the walking which is per norm, parking isn't that great, you literally pay for almost, if not everything. The real downside is financial aid. They're not the best, it's best if you really need to speak to them, it's best to go to the actual building or call continuously because they are and will make mistakes a lot of the time.

Mika

As a member of the Honors College, my experience is slightly different from the rest of USC's. The Honors dorm is one of the nicer ones on campus, and I enjoy smaller class sizes. Campus itself is beautiful and very walkable, and there is always something interesting going on.

Tavashia

The University of South Carolina-Columbia is truly a place that I can enjoy while also getting the academics I need. I'm usually a wallflower, but the university and its faculty and students have made me feel very welcome. Activities are held everywhere on campus, almost everyday there is something interesting going on that makes me want to go out and socialize with different groups that have different aspects. The academics here have shown me that my major doesn't pertain to one specific job, I can get my degree and use it in almost every field! At the University of South Carolina I am not restricted, I am encouraged to do everything and anything and experience the world.

futrella

The University of South Carolina in Columbia, SC is a wonderful place to pursue an undergraduate and potentially graduate degree. Here at USC is a big family that seems small, sure USC is a big place but here everyone is family. the people are nice and friendly. When I came here i was lucky enough to stay in a newly updated dorm which i was thankful for. Here at USC everyone lives for Football games it's the heart of USC. Everyone on gamedays is either dressed up or wearing jerseys and cowboy boots. Most of my classes were small except for the introductory class which were big but nothing you can't handle. the professors are easily to come in contact with and there are loads of resources for help when you need it. overalll my experience here was great.

Chris

The University of South Carolina is a college that prioritizes the student body and the well being of its faculty and staff. From academics to financial aid to campus food, USC will not stop until every student's needs are met and/or exceeded. GO COCKS.

Roman

Overall, I enjoy USC. I'm a second-generation student with both of my parents and two uncles graduating from USC. Some of my classes take place in the same classroom as my parents. Class size varies depending on the subject and level. Student life is great and there are a lot of opportunities for extracurricular activities in a wide range of subjects/activities.

Claire

I absolutely love it here! It may sound cheesy, but every single day I think of how lucky I am to go to such a great school that holds so many opportunities for me. College is definitely a big investment, so making sure you're 100% in love with your school is a big deal. Go Cocks!

Erin

My experience at USC was awful. I lived in an all girls dorm where no one talked to their neighbors or anyone on their hall. I joined a sorority and it was the worst decision I've ever made. It is everything but a family. You are looked down upon if you aren't Greek, so it's a loose-loose. Columbia is an AWFUL city. Nothing to do, not outdoorsy at all. There are more homeless people than students. The racism at USC is on an unbelievable level, even though everyone denies it. If you go just 2 minutes off campus, you will find yourself in the heart of the ghetto. The only fun thing to do in Columbia is go to 5 points, where the bars are a lot fun, but you HAVE to have a fake to be able to get in and not to mention their has been so much crime in that area including murders, drug deals, and more. Do not go to USC. It's awful.

Being a northerner at a southern school is very hard. You have to be a certain type of person to go to a school like this. It is not for me. Greek life is a very big part of the culture here, you basically need to be in a fraternity or sorority of some kind to fit in.

It is a great school with a great atmosphere. I love being at this school and couldn't image having gone anywhere else. The professors really care about their students and the school host many fun functions that everyone can get involved in. If you weren't thinking about going to USC-Columbia, I would now.

Sydney

I dreamed of attending the University of South Carolina Columbia since I was a sophomore in high school. I attended tours and informational groups about the school and I just fell more and more in love with the campus. Now that I am here and fully immersed in the college lifestyle, my initial impressions couldn't have been more right! The campus is absolutely GORGEOUS, with an abundance of greenery and beautiful historical monuments. Walking to class is always so enjoyable! The classes themselves are definitely tougher than high school classes I had been so used to. But I enjoy a challenge, and the challenges these classes pose are fun! The professors I have had over this semester have been very outgoing and extremely interested in my success, and that only motivates me further. The facilities here are very well-kept and the residence halls are wonderful as well. The University of South Carolina Columbia is a dream come true for me!

Jonathan

The University of South Carolina is a place for everyone. It has just about anything someone can ask for. There are clubs and organizations covering almost anything someone can think of. Also, we are a community that supports each other including our sports. This school is about academics but also the experience.

In high school, I never imagined that I'd end up at the University of South Carolina. Looking back, I can't imagine going anywhere else. USC has become such a huge part of me. Who is this girl??? I go to football games! I have fun downtown (dt)! And I'm able to balance it all with excellent grades and a true confidence that I'm learning so much every day.

Ella

I’m so happy with my decision to come to USC from out of state! I fell in love on my tour and never looked back. I’m not much of a partier, and I found friends who feel the same way, but the bar and party scene are definitely big and people go out pretty often through the week. I like most of my classes and my professors are all very accessible. I highly recommend the Honors College!

Hailey

The University of South Carolina has an amazing atmosphere for students. Even though it is a rather large school, I always feel safe and cared for by the staff. Everyone I’ve encountered has been encouraging and helpful to me and my peers. I look forward to spending the next four years of my life on the amazing campus.

Kevin

USC is a great place to go. Since I have been here, I have throughly enjoyed it. Football is a major part of the campus scene here, dubbed "Saturdays down South" you will have to go to Willy-B. Although there could be a few improvements, like the food and dorm conditions, I would still recommend USC. Go Cocks!

Paxton

The University of South Carolina Columbia campus has felt like home to me since my first tour in my Junior year of high school. Every professor I've encountered has been very knowledgeable, fair, and highly available. There is a multitude of resources available to students for studying, extracurricular activities, clubs and organizations, health care services, and many many more. The University of South Carolina wants us to succeed. By no means has college been easy, but it isn't supposed to be. However, I am confident that I am receiving an education of extremely high quality and that in a few short years, I will have obtained a degree from a very resourceful and academically superb university.

I love the school. My dad and aunt went here. There is a lot of support available throughout the whole experience. So far no complaints. I stay in Women's quad but there is a large variety of on-campus housing available. There are places to eat all around campus. Eating the same thing every day has never been an issue for me. Also, the campus is so large that there will be something for you to get into. You just have to look out for the different opportunities around campus because they fly by fast.

Nina

The Darla Moore School of business is an amazing school but has huge class sizes. The other colleges are average or below average. The cops are more focused on underaged drinking than actually keeping students safe and there is a huge safety problem in Columbia.

I love my school! While it is the heart of the city of Columbia when you are on campus there is no doubting that you are on campus. The separation between the city and the campus is what really sold me to attending USC. There is the capital city of South Carolina at your finger tips while still knowing that you are enjoying a special college experience. My major, athletic training, has opened up so many opportunities for me here and I don't know what I would do without it. I love the football, south culture, and wide variety of people and experiences my time here has opened me to. I wouldn't change my time at USC for anything!

Isaac

My opinion of the the University of South Carolina-Columbia is that it is a very awesome school. The people are very welcoming and the campus is very beautiful. The advisors are very helpful and they have a lot of great programs to help us pass our classes.

Tinea

I think USC is a great school. I chose to go here even though I had plenty of great offers from other schools. They have high student moral and the teachers take teaching very seriously. Even though the professors often have huge class sizes they will still make the time to get to know you if you make yourself accessible.

I would love to know more about the University and what it has to offer me.

LeeAnne

I will be starting my second year here, and I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. From athletics to academics, USC exceeds my expectations in everything. This is such a friendly campus that I would recommend to anyone, especially since there is a way for everyone to get involved. Deciding to attend USC was the best decision I have ever made, and it has helped grow both in and out of the classroom.

Britt

I love my school! Aside from the excellent academics, the university offers delicious dining options, a variety of fun events, and a beautiful campus. Sports culture is perhaps the most exciting aspect of student life here. School spirit is constantly seen on student's clothing, accessories, and conversations. Since the campus is in the middle of Columbia, there are lots of things to do off campus as well. Basically, it's great to be a gamecock!